• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

onionfrog

I'm definitely dusting off my Wii for this!

Roy and Mewtwo in addition to the regular brawl cast?

Dantarion must've finally figured out how to make the clone engine work properly.
That's awesome!
I haven't actively followed brawl mods since year's ago

Turbo Mode looks incredible too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
3 more days. :)

yh8D478.gif

Lunar15

Very curious to see how Ike plays in this. He was so frustrating in brawl.

Are there any videos for all of the characters? I've only seen videos for newcomers.

With all the "this isn't just a Melee clone" stuff people talk about, it's weird how if you go to the page and read about the characters, many of them start with "X character's Melee self has been restored".

I don't know why this makes me wrinkle my nose; I liked Melee! I guess I'm just put off by the repeated intimation that Brawl was inferior when I played so much Brawl and had so much fun with it in multiplayer. I just never reallly got to play much Melee.

I have so much respect and admiration for what these guys were able to accomplish and I am really looking forward to trying this out!

solomon

LAWD I CAN'T WAIT, even though I love playing peach, ness and zss I need olimar in my life. But I wonder how his campy style is gunna transition into an offensive game.

On the real though, I hope Smash 4 is decent, PM is a great but we shouldn't have to really on a mod to keep us satisfied because the main game is ass.

So quick question, does anyone here use dolphin on a laptop?

I'm looking at either the latest Macbook pro or lenovo yoga 2, something nice and sleek and all I really care about is basically this.

Brawl has been collecting dust in the closet for quite some time but I'm willing to try out this new project M, seems fun as hell.

Not sure how well both those laptop will run it, you are better off un dusting that wii and playing it that way. Even though I own brawl my wii can't read it so I use USB loader X and run the game from a USB (Also lets you mod stages, characters, custom music etc.)

With all the "this isn't just a Melee clone" stuff people talk about, it's weird how if you go to the page and read about the characters, many of them start with "X character's Melee self has been restored".

I don't know why this makes me wrinkle my nose; I liked Melee! I guess I'm just put off by the repeated intimation that Brawl was inferior when I played so much Brawl and had so much fun with it in multiplayer. I just never reallly got to play much Melee.

I have so much respect and admiration for what these guys were able to accomplish and I am really looking forward to trying this out!
The thing is, while Brawl is by all respects an excellent game, it isn't an excellent competitive game. A lot of the depth that Melee had, intentionally or not, was thrown out in Brawl in favor of more random elements and more same-y characters in terms of control.

While Project M definitely isn't just a Melee clone, it starts by taking Melee's top-tier characters, typically the ones with the most options and deepest gameplay, and restoring them to Melee standards. Then it takes all the other characters and brings them up to that standard by adding unique elements to their gameplay and overall just making them all better characters.

What results is a brilliant game that is both the most competitive-friendly of any Smash Bros. but also has a lot of fun things for people with less concern for competitive play to try out. It's great, and I hope you enjoy it!

ALM5252

They should have an OoT Zelda alternate to complement OoT Link.
This is a skin available for download already, I posed it.

I'm sure they would make one that's 100% better looking.

Fake Edit:
I dislike SF64 / Melee Fox's eyes in his new update. I plan on replacing him with the Brawl Styled Melee Fox skin that's on the Brawlvault.

Played some of 2.6 and... it's just too fast for me. Partially because it seems like every character ever falls at near spike speed just naturally.

To note, I don't play competitively, I just play for fun. But damn at that fall speed. Feels like if I go over the edge at all it's almost guaranteed death.

ALM5252

So at what time does it go live?

Knowing the Project M team, it can be anytime. It could go live at midnight tonight, 2 am, 5 pm, or even 11:59 pm Monday night.

I remember waiting for Demo 1.0 to come out, it was like 11pm that day it was supposed to release.

Chances are, Tuesday will be the best time to actually download it if it ends up being late in the day (Monday).

Dreavus

That classic Wolf is awesome! Did you guys use any kind of reference art, or extrapolate based on his original portrait? I can't find any art that isn't from SF Assault or Command.

I am so hype for this. Midnight release, maybe? TECHNICALLY MONDAY, RIGHT? :)

ALM5252

That classic Wolf is awesome! Did you guys use any kind of reference art, or extrapolate based on his original portrait? I can't find any art that isn't from SF Assault or Command.

He's mixed between Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64. Mainly Star Fox 2 I believe.
tumblr_m2l6ltwqRL1qd4q8ao1_400.gif

Like I said, could be anytime tomorrow. They usually wait for the last possible second because they are always testing it to make sure it's bug free. They've done this for past releases. But who knows? This release is their most hyped one, so maybe it can release earlier for once. Lol

Dreavus

He's mixed between Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64. Mainly Star Fox 2 I believe.
tumblr_m2l6ltwqRL1qd4q8ao1_400.gif

Like I said, could be anytime tomorrow. They usually wait for the last possible second because they are always testing it to make sure it's bug free. They've done this for past releases. But who knows? This release is their most hyped one, so maybe it can release earlier for once. Lol

Wow, that's being more thorough than I expected. Completely forgot Starfox 2 existed, let alone had the Starwolf team in it. The P:M folks are no slouches when it comes to their callbacks. Let's hope for an early-ish release!

TheOGB

Banned
This'll be my first time playing Project M. Playing Brawl in anticipation. Tomorrow's gonna be a damn good day. :D

ALM5252

This'll be my first time playing Project M. Playing Brawl in anticipation. Tomorrow's gonna be a damn good day. :D

Wrong game to be playing in anticipation. Should be Melee! jk jk

Glad to know you're joining the Project M club. I'm personally excited for Turbo Mode. Me and my friend want to go Marvel on each other. Lol

Tan

Yeah it could be as late 11:59PM Monday knowing their last releases lol.

Super hyped for this. Definitely gonna eat up a lot of my holiday time.

Tan

Reading through Character Description...

Mewtwo can hover!? I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. That's awesome!

TheOGB

Banned
Wrong game to be playing in anticipation. Should be Melee! jk jk

Glad to know you're joining the Project M club. I'm personally excited for Turbo Mode. Me and my friend want to go Marvel on each other. Lol
Haha, figured I'd get all my trips and slips out of my system before tomorrow.

This is my first Project M as well! I had heard of it before, but never realized it was so easy to install.
Oh yeah, hearing that about v2.6 was a huge attention grabber to me. I really have no reason not to give it a shot now.

Top Bottom