• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Devil

So, I read the OP, but I have two short questions that probably have been asked before.

1. Is there any way to play Porject M on a PAL Wii U? I remember once testing an early version on my PAL Wii which had the HC installed and that worked (though I don't know whether I was using my PAL or NTSC version of Brawl). But I don't want to plugin the Wii again and I also don't want any Homebrew on the Wii U yet, except if it was safe and useful.

2. Is it possible to play Project M with the Wii U Pro Controller? I guess not, as it has to run in Wii mode, but who knows. I have the old CC for Wii but I don't like it and I'm not planning on getting an adapter for Cube controllers. It would be nice to adapt to the Pro for Smash, because of SSB4.

Thanks!

PS:
Huge fan of Melee here, btw :) Have been practicing advance stuff in the past for a long time just for fun, but without competitors willing to do the same and no urge to visit any tourneys.

ALM5252

Copy pasta coz it's not gonna replied there. Not really a fan of the mod but the discussion has moved here

The closest we got of a body shot of Wolf was in a (non-canon) comic in Spanish about Star Fox 64.

Except someone on the Project M team (I believe) confirmed the design influence being based on SF2 and 64 / Melee Opening. It's also based on a 'pirate' thus he's dubbed 'Classic / Pirate Wolf'. I'm assuming the pirate part is because he is similar to a space pirate or something in the games. I would also assume that someone would take artistic liberties to come up with a full body of Wolf from that era. I feel it works. Obviously the render is rather odd due to all the effects they added over the model to make it look nice. In game should look a lot more natural.

Fox and Falco I would say are not based on 64, but entirely Command then. They wear the same attire in Command and Brawl, but with Brawl being more detailed. The shape of their heads is also a good clue to that.

Honestly I'm sort of scared for this, if smash 4 fails to be competitive, the scene will be in trouble, and all those saying 10 more years of melee getting crt's and gamecube controller is gunna get hard, also as a whole we will never grow. At this point all fighting games have moved on their successors, we can't forever be stuck in the past; yeah sure we can wait for the game to get modded but I highly doubt outside of our tournaments a mod will be used.

I personally don't think it will fail if the game is just faster paced and can have combos happen. Brawl failed because of that. No combos, Tripping, super floaty and slow.

If SSB4 fixes that, the community can move on. Wavedashing is not the only thing that makes SSB competitive. The other stuff carry much more weight.

So, I read the OP, but I have two short questions that probably have been asked before.

1. Is there any way to play Porject M on a PAL Wii U? I remember once testing an early version on my PAL Wii which had the HC installed and that worked (though I don't know whether I was using my PAL or NTSC version of Brawl). But I don't want to plugin the Wii again and I also don't want any Homebrew on the Wii U yet, except if it was safe and useful.

2. Is it possible to play Project M with the Wii U Pro Controller? I guess not, as it has to run in Wii mode, but who knows. I have the old CC for Wii but I don't like it and I'm not planning on getting an adapter for Cube controllers. It would be nice to adapt to the Pro for Smash, because of SSB4.

Thanks!

PS:
Huge fan of Melee here, btw :) Have been practicing advance stuff in the past for a long time just for fun, but without competitors willing to do the same and no urge to visit any tourneys.

1. The only way to get it to work on PAL Wii is if you mod the system for region free playing. Other than that, no.
2. No, vWii and regular Wii do not support Wii U Pro Controllers. Maybe when someone unlocks the Wii U Pro Controllers it can be in the future. Best bet is on the Classic Controller Pro. I've adapted to it and you can too. :)

CHusson91

Banned
I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but can this be played on Dolphin? I'm not very good when it comes to working with mods.

sinxtanx

BbDzEK7CAAA9cOm.png:large

cool beans

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but can this be played on Dolphin? I'm not very good when it comes to working with mods.

2.6 works, I'm guessing 3.0 should as well.

I remember having issues configuring my GCN controller but surely there are ways around that, I haven't looked around for info much.

Figure it worth a shot, but I need some help. My Wii U will not boot Gecko OS when I go to the Stage Editor (Hackless method, obviously 2.6b) I'm wiped everything off the card, formatted it to FAT32, and put all of the files onto the card from the .zip file. What am I missing? (I should mention that I can't save any photos/replays to the SD card in regular Brawl, but there's zero write-protection on it; could that be why?)

Devil

1. The only way to get it to work on PAL Wii is if you mod the system for region free playing. Other than that, no.
2. No, vWii and regular Wii do not support Wii U Pro Controllers. Maybe when someone unlocks the Wii U Pro Controllers it can be in the future. Best bet is on the Classic Controller Pro. I've adapted to it and you can too. :)

Thanks for the answers!

1. Yeah, I was using Gecko for this. I thought so. Really hope there will be a PAL version sometime..

2. Maybe I could adapt to the CC Pro for Wii, but I don't own one. As I said, I got the old CC which is really uncomfortable to me because of the missing grips. I tried adapting to it once but stuck with the Cube controller, which I still feel is the best choice for Smash.

As there is no way for me right now to play P:M on my Wii U, I would just keep using the Cube controller. But I don't think I will plugin the Wii very soon... :(

EDIT:
Wait, there is online?! How well is it running? Comparable to brawl (shitty)?

OH MY! THOSE ALTS!

If there's one thing I hope makes its way into Smash 4, is this. We need Alts of this nature. Full fledged costume changes.
Agreed. THink we've already seen some of it with Male WFT, but I hope we get more than just gender swaps for Villager, WFT, ect.

ALM5252

Thanks for the answers!
Wait, there is online?! How well is it running? Comparable to brawl (shitty)?

It's just as bad. The Project M team are currently unable to use different servers for Project M. You still use Nintendo's servers that are used for Brawl. So if it was bad when you Brawled, it'll be just as bad with Project M.

Plus new servers cost money, which the Project M team does not have.

Mit-

I've sadly found that Dolphin has some degree of input lag, likely due to the emulation process. Even when using keyboard to control, and trying a plethora of different setups and options, it just lags by I'd say at least 5 frames.

Probably doesn't matter to most casual players but I play semi-competitively and I've found it unplayable.

I wanted HD smash reeeeal bad too :<

sinxtanx

I just patched a SSBB ISO with ProjectM and load it with Dolphin. That's about as simple as the hackfree method on a NTSC Wii and a LOT simpler than with a PAL Wii.

I hope you don't mind sharing your methods because I'd really like to know how.

Dry Bowser and Dark Peach don't have custom HUD images? I noticed Link and Wolf did in the video, and both DB and DP had "official" art that was shown off.

Seems like a weird omission in an otherwise flawless costume engine.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess what I am getting at is simply this; We know this PM 3.0 Alt is based on his Star Fox 2 mug/chat look. We know because of the giant red scar, red top, and rounded spiked shoulder pads, all of which is easy to spot in his Star Fox 2 image.

We know all Star Fox characters wear spacey boots and pants, as of this point in the storyline.

Saying this looks "Fanart tier" is an obvious negative remark, as if this doesn't portray an accurate view on how his full body may have looked had it been shown to us at that point.

You say that as if he's wearing some kind of wonky LAZER Suit or Guyver armor. He's wearing typcally what all of them wear every time, and that's boots, pants, and some kind of coat/vest. What ties it to his SF2 look is the Eye Scar, Red Shirt, and Spiked pads.

Except the fact that Star Wolf =/= Star Fox in outfit. They never follow Star Fox style of outfits. We only know what Star Fox wears, and right off the chat link we know Star Wolf follows a different pattern - hell, even in later games they never follow the Star Fox style of dressing.

I never imply "Fanart-tier" as a negative thing - it's just more on a peeve of mine where you have these references towards games yet you have something like that which is sticking out and is based merely on fan interpretation.

Hell, I'm also against the Mewtwo armor since it's only existing in the anime.

Except someone on the Project M team (I believe) confirmed the design influence being based on SF2 and 64 / Melee Opening. It's also based on a 'pirate' thus he's dubbed 'Classic / Pirate Wolf'. I'm assuming the pirate part is because he is similar to a space pirate or something in the games. I would also assume that someone would take artistic liberties to come up with a full body of Wolf from that era. I feel it works. Obviously the render is rather odd due to all the effects they added over the model to make it look nice. In game should look a lot more natural.

Fox and Falco I would say are not based on 64, but entirely Command then. They wear the same attire in Command and Brawl, but with Brawl being more detailed. The shape of their heads is also a good clue to that.

But Wolf never had a full body shot even in openings. The closest prior to Assault is Melee, and even then the only clear thing was that it looked a bit much like his mugshot in SF2. Like I said, it's "fanart" in essence that it has no official bearing other than the upper head area.

As for Fox and Falco - Command IS based on their SF64 look, only "less detailed".

ALM5252

Except the fact that Star Wolf =/= Star Fox in outfit. They never follow Star Fox style of outfits. We only know what Star Fox wears, and right off the chat link we know Star Wolf follows a different pattern - hell, even in later games they never follow the Star Fox style of dressing.

I never imply "Fanart-tier" as a negative thing - it's just more on a peeve of mine where you have these references towards games yet you have something like that which is sticking out and is based merely on fan interpretation.

Hell, I'm also against the Mewtwo armor since it's only existing in the anime.

But Wolf never had a full body shot even in openings. The closest prior to Assault is Melee, and even then the only clear thing was that it looked a bit much like his mugshot in SF2. Like I said, it's "fanart" in essence that it has no official bearing other than the upper head area.

As for Fox and Falco - Command IS based on their SF64 look, only "less detailed".

We can agree to disagree. But what does it really matter? "Fanart" or not, it's the teams interpretation of Wolf from the Star Fox 64 era when marrying his SF2 and 64 looks. The whole mod is fan made too.

Besides, you can replace the skins they have with other ones from BrawlVault of your choice.

As for Fox and Falco again, but in Brawl it's based on Command no matter what. Those outfits are their Star Fox uniform, so being based on 64 doesn't really matter. They could be wearing the same stuff in the SNES games as well, in fact I think they are.

KHlover

Banned
I hope you don't mind sharing your methods because I'd really like to know how.

HOW DID YOU DO THIS!!!!

Sure.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/ssbb-mod-iso-builder.351177/
Follow the instructions in this thread, but make sure to download the file from Reply #1 first and then replace the .bat file with the one from Reply #18 for ProjectM 2.6b

Addenum:
1.) You need the Riivolution.zip of ProjectM
2.) Open the .bat and change the GCT size for ProjectM to 9100
3.) Until the .bat is updated for ProjectM 3.0 this won't work for ProjectM 3.0

EDIT: Ignore error messages during the merging process, those showed up for me, too but nothing actually happened

Top Bottom