• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

So whats the best route for MS to take? Show off console with specs now, then games games games at E3, right? Or the other way around?

An "Xbox Direct" would be fine if they gave a weeks notice and actually had some content in it.

Part 1: Announce the box design, specs and any other stuff they did.

Part 2: Show Forza Motorsport 7 with a video/gameplay then announce updates to current first party games: Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3(?), Halo 5, Dead Rising 4, not sure about whether UWP titles will benefit (QB, ReCore, Halo Wars 2)

Part 3: Third-party stuff: rumours of RDR2/Battlefront 2, definitely Mordor, what other marketing deals they got? One or two of those, maybe they'll do Ubi a favour with the new AC or just announce some updated 3rd party games.

Part 4: Finish with Crackdown 3 (first time seeing it in 18 months) and State of Decay 2 - maybe a teaser for something else if they really got anything else for 2017.

Leave Halo 6 and Ori 2 for E3 and whatever else not 2017.

Dont need huge long sections on any of these just enough to let people know whats coming and a little teaser. At some point they need to show an actually exciting new IP though

Peltz

My reasoning is that Phil Spencer has mentioned Scorpio is "ahead of schedule" at least twice now.

He also said that he's played scorpio hardware before which is a good sign.

I have no doubt this thing will come out in November.

opricnik

Banned
IF it is digital foundry then they must trust what hardware they cooked.

I hope they have games other then forza tech demos.

it would be nice to see COD with actual 4K graphics 60 fps on system, does Sony have this year COD rights ?

Digital Foundry would be a good pick to do this. Hopefully that's the case.

Thanks for your insight.

Maybe they are allowed to do a video of where they explain the full specs and perhaps even show off the system itself, since Jez says it will be shown off? I really hope so, because jeez, just an article would be disappointing.

I own every console, and Microsoft have to do a Wii U level bounce-back to get me interested in Scorpio. My XB1S hasn't been used in ages.

Still really curious what they'll come out with, obviously.

If it is truly not an April Fools joke, then it's gotta be an IGN First right? I mean Phil Spencer has a pretty good rapport with those guys and is always on their Podcasts.

I would say it goes like this:

April: Here are the major details of the h/w and showing off a few games running native 4k vs others that cannot run same game at native 4k

May: Some more details come out in interviews, articles perhaps MS videos. Leaks of what h/w would look like. Leaks of price.

E3: Full reveal, price, h/w, launch games, etc

They need to build momentum with hype in April and May

the switch (launch) success could make Microsoft feel very comfortable with a staggered reveal.
did not hurt the switch. it did benefit the switch

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If they're letting Digital Foundry unveil it, then it's more powerful than they've been hinting at. Absolutely no way they're letting Digital Foundry unveil a PS4 Pro Plus

Colbert

Banned
Maybe they are allowed to do a video of where they explain the full specs and perhaps even show off the system itself, since Jez says it will be shown off? I really hope so, because jeez, just an article would be disappointing.

MS do those kind of hardware related interviews with Eurogamer for years now. They did it for the Xbox One with the engineers, they did it for the Xbox One S and with Albert Penello. I guess it is their way to talk in detail about their console hardware. I personally like the format because an outside person can ask questions that go beyond marketing and PR talk in presentation events.

Putty

I also do not expect surprises on the already known specs. As you already said elsewhere the memory speed is the most outstanding spec anyway.

Absolutely...12gig and that bandwidth...6tf only tells part of the story...But i also expect a price to match, that is for another discussion of course...

jdmonmou

Traded in my Xbox One for a Nintendo Switch bundle last week. Eager to see if MS can bring me back with the Scorpio.

Putty

If they're letting Digital Foundry unveil it, then it's more powerful than they've been hinting at. Absolutely no way they're letting Digital Foundry unveil a PS4 Pro Plus

I dont see that at all...If its even more i'd be shouting from the rooftops...super swanky event....not DF...

MS do those kind of hardware related interviews with Eurogamer for years now. They did it with the Xbox One with the engineers, they did it with the Xbox One S and with Albert Penello. I guess it is their way to talk in detail about their console hardware in detail. I personally like the format as an outside person can ask questions that go beyond marketing and PR talk in presentation events.

Yeah that's definitely interesting and I understand it as well but man I want to see what it looks like so bad. I want to know if it will be similar to Xbox One S' design and not like the OG Xbox One.

By the way, just now I was playing Ryse again and holy shit that game still looks so damn impressive and that was a launch game. Imagine a Ryse 2 from Crytek on Scorpio hardware. Not gonna happen, I know. :(

Ushay

DF revealing the hardware lends credibility to the capability of the machine. If this is true, it's a smart move by MS.

Hardware specifics from DF, use the next 2 months to gauge audience response and go for pricing and games at E3.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I dont see that at all...If its even more i'd be shouting from the rooftops...super swanky event....not DF...

My thought is, with Digital Foundry, they can't fudge anything. They can't use trick wording or make it seem more powerful than it is.

We are going to know exactly what this thing is. So my guess is, if they're willing to be that exposed by DF, then it's more powerful than we think. But hey, that's just a guess.

bluexy

I'd love to have it in time for Destiny 2.

I was thinking this too, but I'd be fine playing it on Xbox One for a couple months if need be too. Consoles tend to be released in November, though.

At the same time, Forza seems to be the big console launch game at the moment and that's traditionally launched in mid-to-late September. It's withing reason they could do September with Forza + Crackdown, then another big first party title for the holiday.

Hell, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that they really want to get Scorpio out for the big third-party launches of September and October. GTAV was launched in mid-September too, right? If they're showing off Red Dead Redemption 2 at this event... Hmm.

m23

I don't think we'll be getting much aside from some technical details. Doubt we'll see the console itself or even games running on it. This reads to me as an article about what the hardware is able to do.

Keep expectations in check. If this was an actual full on reveal, Microsoft would have said something.

Ushay

My thought is, with Digital Foundry, they can't fudge anything. They can't use trick wording or make it seem more powerful than it is.

We are going to know exactly what this thing is. So my guess is, if they're willing to be that exposed by DF, then it's more powerful than we think. But hey, that's just a guess.

If they are indeed publishing the hardware specifications via DF then yes, they must have absolute confidence in the product. It would be a case of facts speaking for themselves.

Damn I'm getting hyped for next week.

Watch it be something minor.

Last time Jez teased something it ended up being some relatively mundane stuff so I'm not getting my hopes up. Besides if it was something of note from another website one of their staff would have teased this and not him.

Glitch is Back!

250px-Magitsbox.jpg

Metal Arms Re-Make ala Splatoon meets Rocket League!

Extended Story
Customization
Clans
Awesome weapons and abilities!
Unreal
4 Player local and 16 player arena
4K/60FPS

Would you buy?
Oh dude. This game was all kinds of wonderful!

Meet you guys in the middle. $499.99 USD. My best guess for power to price ratio.

That will be $1899.99 for the rest of the world if Trump continues with his protectionist anti free trade shenanigans.

$499.99 is my guess too. I don't think they can make a profit on it at $399.99 and I don't see them taking a loss on it.

499 is downright delusional, both the people here thinking that and Microsoft if they think they could get away with that in today's market

Looking forward to it, always excited for a new console reveal :D

Love the approach of partnering with Digital Foundry for this, if true.

Colbert

Banned
Yeah that's definitely interesting and I understand it as well but man I want to see what it looks like so bad. I want to know if it will be similar to Xbox One S' design and not like the OG Xbox One.

By the way, just now I was playing Ryse again and holy shit that game still looks so damn impressive and that was a launch game. Imagine a Ryse 2 from Crytek on Scorpio hardware. Not gonna happen, I know. :(

I strongly believe you won't see the console until E3. They will share some hardware info with us and thats it. Console Design and Pricing is reserved for E3. Thats what I expect for the coming weeks.

Top Bottom