• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus games for February: Yakuza 4, Transistor, Rogue Legacy, more (NA&EU)

kamandi

I tried Rogue Legacy for about an hour, but couldn't find what is so special about it. Maybe it will get better eventually.

Ronin Ray

Apotheon is so good.. It's like God of War and the souls series had a 2D baby. I am really surprised how good it is. I didn't see a thread for it but I am curious what other people think of it.

TraBuch

Banned
I've been playing Rogue Legacy non-stop is since downloading it and all I have to say is holy shit, fuck Neo Khidr. And I regret not buying this.

MMaRsu

Banned
Super surprising but both of the PS4 games are pretty amazing.

You mean all three!

TraBunch dont go after Neo Khidr after defeating Khidr, instead go for the other bosses!

The Architect locks down your last played castle. Dont lock down the castle unless you are doing a boss run, otherwise also go for max gold runs.

pr0cs

Sadly of the 3 PS4 games only Apotheon is fun for me.

Rogue Legacy is too bloody hard, I'm lucky if I can make it through 2-3 screens before dying. It's a shame because I like the concept and after Isaac I was looking for more in that vein of gametype, sadly RL is not the title to fill that niche.

Transistor is just goofy, I have no idea what the game is about and there is no real serious tutorial or introduction to the game/world. It's a pretty game but the gameplay is dull (feels like a JRPG which is probably why I am turned off about the gameplay) and the whole thing feels like an extension of another game so for new players you're left with a feeling of "why am I doing this again?"

I'm glad I got to try the games so it's not really a loss, but I was hoping for more considering the hype the games were getting when they were announced as the PS+ games of the month.

Yeah about that - my PS3 says I have 31GB of space free.... but when I try to download Yakuza I get an error that there's not enough storage space

what gives?

You need 2x the space because the PS3 needs to install the game. After the installation the other 22GB will be free again. Yeah it's stupid.

BadWolf

Transistor is just goofy, I have no idea what the game is about and there is no real serious tutorial or introduction to the game/world. It's a pretty game but the gameplay is dull (feels like a JRPG which is probably why I am turned off about the gameplay) and the whole thing feels like an extension of another game so for new players you're left with a feeling of "why am I doing this again?"

Give it a shot, it's pretty short game (took me 4 or 5 hours? somewhere in that range) and feeling lost in the beginning is part of the experience.

It all comes so well together at the end.

The combat can either be played by doing a turn ala JRPGs or in real time like an action RPG. I ended up doing a combination of both.

One of my fave games of 2014.

Yeah about that - my PS3 says I have 31GB of space free.... but when I try to download Yakuza I get an error that there's not enough storage space

what gives?

Iirc you need double the space indicated.

TraBuch

Banned
Rogue Legacy is too bloody hard, I'm lucky if I can make it through 2-3 screens before dying. It's a shame because I like the concept and after Isaac I was looking for more in that vein of gametype, sadly RL is not the title to fill that niche.

I would say to keep going because you're constantly getting stronger, but if you're dying in 2-3 screens, you won't be getting enough gold to upgrade anything.

Auctopus

Good lord, man. Give it some time. Rogue Legacy doesn't work like BOI where your PB gets better and better purely due to experience. RL relies heavily on your exploring and finding armour, weapons and power-ups.

Once you play a bit, get a hold of the ropes (and the double dash) you'll be flying through the rooms that used to take you 5 minutes.

TraBuch

Banned
Good lord, man. Give it some time. Rogue Legacy doesn't work like BOI where your PB gets better and better purely due to experience. RL relies heavily on your exploring and finding armour, weapons and power-ups.

Once you play a bit, get a hold of the ropes (and the double dash) you'll be flying through the rooms that used to take you 5 minutes.

Double dash? Is that the L2/R2 dash thing? Huh, didn't know it was that useful. I've just been using the heal on kill runes on everything I can.

Good lord @ how slow the PS3 is at........everything. I forgot how bad this was.

Yeah, I got a Vita recently, and it's weird how the PS3 outperforms the Vita overall in running games, but the Vita is so much faster in navigating the store, OS, installing stuff, etc. Did Sony just make some huge mistakes with the initial firmware of the PS3 that they weren't able to fix with revisions?

ChanMan

Dont think about tte heirs. Concentrate on money runs to upgrade your castle until you are strong enoigh to beat a boss. Only use the architect if you want to do a boss run, since you only get like 40% cash.

Do we have an OT for Apatheon? Pretty cool game.

Yeah thanks for the tip, I give it some more time later. I try to stay away from the Mage heirs since I am not use to using them and their low HP can be brutal at least for my skill level right now.

I find it fun to explore the castle though, I like running into rooms and seeing some crazing looking enemies only for to turn around a go "nope" lol. One question; are there other melee weapons are do you only use a sword?

pr0cs

but if you're dying in 2-3 screens, you won't be getting enough gold to upgrade anything.
That's exactly my problem. It will start out well then you get into a room with 3-4 things shooting shit at you and your health drops like a stone. Then you don't collect enough money to actually improve yourself so it gets old pretty quick.

Good lord, man. Give it some time.
I'll try it again tonight but I'm not hopeful, maybe I just had a string of some really ridiculous rooms last night which soured me on the experience.

gruenel

Yeah, I got a Vita recently, and it's weird how the PS3 outperforms the Vita overall in running games, but the Vita is so much faster in navigating the store, OS, installing stuff, etc. Did Sony just make some huge mistakes with the initial firmware of the PS3 that they weren't able to fix with revisions?

Vita has like 5x the RAM available for the OS compared to PS3, that's the reason.

Tadpole

Apotheon is so good.. It's like God of War and the souls series had a 2D baby. I am really surprised how good it is. I didn't see a thread for it but I am curious what other people think of it.

The soundtrack is incredible. I'm having a really good time with it. Indie is the backbone of this gen, and I'm super impressed with this and transistor.

Roldan

No can do. I've invested too much time in this asshole to give up now.

Are you using McSwordy's triangle spell? It costs double the MP, but does more damage. I spent hours trying to kill Neo Khidr using the circle spell, because I didn't know about this :p

TraBuch

Banned
Are you using McSwordy's triangle spell? It costs double the MP, but does more damage. I spent hours trying to kill Neo Khidr using the circle spell, because I didn't know about this :p

Yeah, the best I've done is getting him down to about 25%. The thing I'm having trouble with is the dodging when he shoots the fireballs in a circle. Especially when he does two of them in a row in the same direction.

So happy to see so many giving Rogue Legacy a shot! It's probably my most played game last year.

If you're getting frustrated with it, realize that on your early runs you should concentrate on learning enemy attack patterns, the differences in how each class plays and getting gold. You're going to die a LOT, but you'll also notice yourself getting better/further and that will give you the 'one more try' addiction.

Kssio_Aug

Played a little bit of Transistor. I liked it!

Amazing art style, and the combat is pretty good. However, I'm not enjoying the sword's dialogues... they're boring, and I found the voice quite tiring and emotionless. Am not understanding much of the story either, but I guess the terminals may explain it better.

Krayzie

Very glad that those who didn't purchase transistor will now get to experience a thought provoking game with beautifully crafted combat mechanics.

Seems like ps plus games are getting much better. Here's hoping for consistency in the future.

Guys who are saying Rogue Legacy is difficult - Stick with it!

The game requires your time and patience to get better, mainly from learning enemy patterns and dungeon obstacles. Having played through 3 NG+ runs, I can say this game is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in the past 5 years.

ChanMan

Played a little bit of Transistor. I liked it!

Amazing art style, and the combat is pretty good. However, I'm not enjoying the sword's dialogues... they're boring, and I found the voice quite tiring and emotionless. Am not understanding much of the story either, but I guess the terminals may explain it better.

Well he is a sword and meant to sound like that, I find it pretty cool especially when you set it to have his voice coming out of the controller.

Also anybody give Kick & Fennick a try it looks pretty good.

Guys who are saying Rogue Legacy is difficult - Stick with it!

The game requires your time and patience to get better, mainly from learning enemy patterns and dungeon obstacles. Having played through 3 NG+ runs, I can say this game is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in the past 5 years.

Yeah good tips from everyone in here so far, I wish I bought it sooner.

Roldan

Yeah, the best I've done is getting him down to about 25%. The thing I'm having trouble with is the dodging when he shoots the fireballs in a circle. Especially when he does two of them in a row in the same direction.

Yeah, I found quite hard to avoid being hit when he shoot in that circle pattern. But if that's your biggest problem, it's only a matter of keep trying until you have an encounter where he doesnt use that attack so often. That's how I've done it, anyway.

edit: welp, it seems you did it. congrats

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
With my disc version of Yakuza 4, it installed a ton of data onto the harddrive. It might have been the entire game.

Did they change this for the downloadable version? Does it still need to install a massive "disc install" on top of the 22 gigs it occupies on the drive?

I'm wondering if I should erase my "game data" that is on my drive from the disc version, or keep it there...

Z3M0G

Also anybody give Kick & Fennick a try it looks pretty good.

It's REALLY good... I'm completely blown away. I just burned my full lunch hour playing it.

It's one of those "why have I never seen this done before" kind of games. Such a simple yet brilliant concept.

It's some of the best platforming I've ever played.

It's REALLY good... I'm completely blown away. I just burned my full lunch hour playing it.

It's one of those "why have I never seen this done before" kind of games. Such a simple yet brilliant concept.

It's some of the best platforming I've ever played.

Just watched the trailer, downloading the game now.

So I played a bit of Transistor last night and it didn't really click with me. I was under the impression this was an ARPG but apparently it's some kind of hybrid with strategy/tactical combat. I am not a big fan of this type of gameplay so I was kinda disappointed. I only played a few minutes though so I'll give it a good shot. It may have just been the disappointment of not getting what I was wanting/expecting. The game is pretty but kinda sterile too. I don't know...

BouncyFrag

Well he is a sword and meant to sound like that, I find it pretty cool especially when you set it to have his voice coming out of the controller.
Very cool! I didn't notice that since I usually game with headphones on but will amend that for this.

BadWolf

So I played a bit of Transistor last night and it didn't really click with me. I was under the impression this was an ARPG but apparently it's some kind of hybrid with strategy/tactical combat. I am not a big fan of this type of gameplay so I was kinda disappointed. I only played a few minutes though so I'll give it a good shot. It may have just been the disappointment of not getting what I was wanting/expecting. The game is pretty but kinda sterile too. I don't know...

You can also play it like an ARPG and do real time attacks instead of turns.

taybul

Already owned Rogue Legacy, played the hell out of it (highly recommend it), already owned Transistor on the PC but never really got into it initially. I'm excited about the praise the other games are getting. Definitely going to try them all out tonight.

Z3M0G

Further thoughts on Kick & Fennick:

- Graphics are great (native and colorful)
- I aim with stick, but using touch may be more precise
- Animations are great and the characters are very charming, even though they don't speak, they don't need to
- Still in first world, and already discovered / unlocked two alternate costumes
- 50 gears to locate each level, I have not found them all in any level so far... and I'm trying
- the slow-mo while aiming is really neat, while platforming, and while shooting enemies. Gives it a very satisfying feel
- very challenging sequences already. timed jumping through beams and such.
- You can disable the "score screen" between levels, to make it feel more seamless
- but loading is still a bit long between levels and returning to main menu
- I hope the later worlds have different environments.

This game is a MUST PLAY

dh4niel

I just purchased all the PS Plus games for the month and none of them appear in my download list. What's happened? I did 'buy' them as they're in my transaction history but they don't appear in the Download List. What gives?

Top Bottom