• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 1.60 released. Pulse headset support, mute camera, stability

emko

They're all going to be virtual as the speakers aren't actually positioned around the room. That's why they're a poor replacement for even a low end HT system. However they are good if you can't get true 5.1.

Im sure they can make it sound just as good with proper math. I mean we have just 2 ears and we can tell where sound is coming from.

You can't push patches and firmware updates to download them as soon as they are available. Every PS4 on the planet (or at least the PS+ ones) would initiate the download at the same time. It would kill the severs or at least make the download slow for anyone actually trying to download it manually.

By forcing the daily check-up during stand-by at around 4 am, the load on the servers is distributed per timezone (one hour after the other).

(though I would prefer being able to set the check time manually like on PS3. Setting it to a few hours before you come home from work is the best way to ensure everything is as up to date as possible)

androvsky

They're all going to be virtual as the speakers aren't actually positioned around the room. That's why they're a poor replacement for even a low end HT system. However they are good if you can't get true 5.1.

There's a huge gap in quality between low-end virtual surround sound and high-end. Aureal put out an amazing sound card 15 years ago that's easily superior to what's currently available from the low end virtual surround sound headsets, and supposedly Dolby Headphone is pretty good too. So far the Sony headsets are definitely on the low-end for VSS implementations, but I haven't tried them on the PS4 yet (all I have is the original Wireless Stereo Headset).

This posts counts for my regularly scheduled cursing of Creative Labs for killing Aureal then doing nothing with the patents.

IMBored

Random tidbit. Before the update I had a stuck party invite on my notifications. I couldn't delete it and I wouldn't get new invites.
After the update that was fixed, I got all my unreceived old invites at once, and I can delete the. I don't know if they specificaly fixed this bug, or if I just lucked out, but great nontheless.

emko

Well if someone haven't already I can confirm that this update did not fix the Share issue.

i am really hoping this was just released to support headsets and they are still working on a massive update that might come Japan launch, if not at this rate it will be a long time before we get to at least PS3 firmware level.

droq

Neo Member
does anyone know if my turtle beach px51's will work now?

i downloaded the firmware update for the headset and followed all of their instructions, but now the voices of my friends are WAY too loud and it plays my voice into my headset too.

anyone have any ideas?

There's a huge gap in quality between low-end virtual surround sound and high-end. Aureal put out an amazing sound card 15 years ago that's easily superior to what's currently available from the low end virtual surround sound headsets, and supposedly Dolby Headphone is pretty good too. So far the Sony headsets are definitely on the low-end for VSS implementations, but I haven't tried them on the PS4 yet (all I have is the original Wireless Stereo Headset).

This posts counts for my regularly scheduled cursing of Creative Labs for killing Aureal then doing nothing with the patents.

i have both the Wireless Stereo Headset as well as the Pulse Elite headset, and i can confirm that even just on PS3 it's a night and day difference. i'm no audiophile but i find the VSS in the Elite to be waaaaaaaaaaay better than the WSH, and it's actually the best VSS i've heard in a headset before.

i actually came into this thread just a second ago to comment that i finally plugged my Elite into my PS4 and played some Tomb Raider. my mouth was agape the entire time i played. the sound is just incredible, and even with the Bass Impact slider set to high i wasn't getting that static rumbling artifact sound in the background constantly like i did on PS3 (although i don't have the Pulse app on PS4 yet, so it could be the presets for all i know).

TR is UNREAL with the Pulse Elite on. absolutely stunning the clarity im getting from everything, and the VSS sounds great to boot. i know soundbars are a convenience more than they are a quality sound item for the living room, but i LOVE my Sony soundbar.... but man this blows them out of the water pretty bad. i don't know if i'll ever use my PS4 without them on unless i have to.

oh, and praise Sony for letting me mute the camera mic. TR kept randomly pausing and switching my weapons because background noises in my apartment (nobody was talking either) were being picked up.

Dante316

Can't believe im asking this stupid question. How did you guys update the ps4? Mine was downloading automatically but it never installed. I tried to log in to psn, it re downloaded and installed then it restarted and installed 3rd time. Im just lost why it installed 3x lol

Can't believe im asking this stupid question. How did you guys update the ps4? Mine was downloading automatically but it never installed. I tried to log in to psn, it re downloaded and installed then it restarted and installed 3rd time. Im just lost why it installed 3x lol

go to Settings > System Update

even if your PS4 downloads the update you have to go there for it to install it. (at least that's how it is with me...)

This might be a silly question but I can't seem to pair my Pulse headset with my PS4 wirelessly even after the patch. I put the usb dongle that come with it into the ps4 and connect it wired at first so it will pair with it like a controller. But it still won't work wirelessly afterwards, only wired to controller.

This might be a silly question but I can't seem to pair my Pulse headset with my PS4 wirelessly even after the patch. I put the usb dongle that come with it into the ps4 and connect it wired at first so it will pair with it like a controller. But it still won't work wirelessly afterwards, only wired to controller.

Is the wire still plugged into the headset? I had to remove it from the headset and the controller to get it to work wirelessly

Is the wire still plugged into the headset? I had to remove it from the headset and the controller to get it to work wirelessly

Yes I tried it plugged and unplugged and it headphone options are just greyed out in devices and sound settings of ps4. The only way I can get pulse headset to work is if I have it wired to controller....

Yes I tried it plugged and unplugged and it headphone options are just greyed out in devices and sound settings of ps4. The only way I can get pulse headset to work is if I have it wired to controller....

sounds like your dongle and the headset itself aren't syncing. there is a way to completely reset the headset but i can't remember how. i had to do it with the first pair i got because they kept losing sync.

sounds like your dongle and the headset itself aren't syncing. there is a way to completely reset the headset but i can't remember how. i had to do it with the first pair i got because they kept losing sync.

I think you can do it through the Pulse app on PS3 if you connect with a charging cable. Is that an option Sithlord?

homez99

Just noticed an interesting change for me and a few friends with the rubbish headset (that came with the PS4) in party chat: there's no longer any echoes. Our connections haven't changed and we haven't done anything special to cause this apart from update our consoles' firmware.

NekoFever

Do we have any details on what this means?

The Digital Foundry article the other day mentioned some issues with how the PS4 deinterlaced DVD content. Maybe they fixed that.

The PS4 appears to scale images more crisply than Microsoft's console, although the lacklustre video processing introduces another problem that significantly degrades image quality.

Most DVDs are encoded as interlaced video with progressive flags embedded in the signal to tell the player how to de-interlace the content without any loss of detail, but on PAL discs the PS4 fails to correctly de-interlace the source material, resulting in unwanted jaggies and line twitter.

go to Settings > System Update

even if your PS4 downloads the update you have to go there for it to install it. (at least that's how it is with me...)

Thanks, wish it auto updated though.

This the best way to go about this. I wouldn't want FW updates to install when I'm not at the console.

Just noticed an interesting change for me and a few friends with the rubbish headset (that came with the PS4) in party chat: there's no longer any echoes. Our connections haven't changed and we haven't done anything special to cause this apart from update our consoles' firmware.

this sounds very good. the GAFers on BF4 have been telling me my mic sounded like shit. I guess we'll see if this fixes it.

Mikey Jr.

Found a new update to this patch.

On twitch/stream, it would block out friend requests, but expose messages such as "YOUR NAME's dualshock battery is low". So it would show your name on stream.

Now it blocks both.

Its not very elegant in how it does it, but whatever. Atleast its there now.

Guys can you clarify for me what is suspend/resume.Dont we have it already ?

your playing a game and want to stop for the day, put the game into suspend and it goes into a low power state. pick the controller up the next day and resume the game as if you simply paused it.

at least that's what think it's supposed to do.

McHuj

I'm looking to get a new headset for the PS4, so any recommendation to either get the Pulse Elite or the new Gold Wireless.

i have both the Wireless Stereo Headset as well as the Pulse Elite headset, and i can confirm that even just on PS3 it's a night and day difference. i'm no audiophile but i find the VSS in the Elite to be waaaaaaaaaaay better than the WSH, and it's actually the best VSS i've heard in a headset before.

i actually came into this thread just a second ago to comment that i finally plugged my Elite into my PS4 and played some Tomb Raider. my mouth was agape the entire time i played. the sound is just incredible, and even with the Bass Impact slider set to high i wasn't getting that static rumbling artifact sound in the background constantly like i did on PS3 (although i don't have the Pulse app on PS4 yet, so it could be the presets for all i know).

TR is UNREAL with the Pulse Elite on. absolutely stunning the clarity im getting from everything, and the VSS sounds great to boot. i know soundbars are a convenience more than they are a quality sound item for the living room, but i LOVE my Sony soundbar.... but man this blows them out of the water pretty bad. i don't know if i'll ever use my PS4 without them on unless i have to.

oh, and praise Sony for letting me mute the camera mic. TR kept randomly pausing and switching my weapons because background noises in my apartment (nobody was talking either) were being picked up.
The VSS on the Pulse Elites is terrible compared to my Sennheiser PC360's hooked up to an Astro Mixamp Pro. I'm not saying the headset itself is bad. I haven't tried the pulses with the PS4 though, maybe the PS4 does it better?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Is the Gold headset for listen only? It doesn't look like it's got a mic attachment.

kriskrosbbk

your playing a game and want to stop for the day, put the game into suspend and it goes into a low power state. pick the controller up the next day and resume the game as if you simply paused it.

at least that's what think it's supposed to do.

I thought hitting the PS button and putting the console on standby doesnt close the app,never tried it tho.Guess it does then.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm looking to get a new headset for the PS4, so any recommendation to either get the Pulse Elite or the new Gold Wireless.

Gold Wireless aren't released yet, but I imagine this forum will be filled with impressions once they do. This thread alone is filled with plenty of thoughts on the Elites, many of the complaints as well as the positives I fully agree with.

The Elites function beautifully, outputting excellent surround audio, but suffer from discomfort problems after a bit of playtime(serious scalp pain strangely). Many have had their earpieces snap as well, though mine have not given me the same issue.

If you still regularly play PS3, the Elites are fantastic and the different profiles for major releases last year(Bioshock Inf. GTAV, and LoU) using the Elite app adds alot. The Bass Impact is a bit awkward. Like an added subwoofer effect in your ear that can be ridiculous sounding at levels beyond 20%, but they do add some low rumble to the audio that I would miss not having in the Gold's. There are many times I just turn the effect off though, but it is exclusive to the Elites.

TL:DR If the Gold's fix the long-play comfort problems and the muff snapping issue, they may be worth missing out on the Bass Impact feature of the Elites.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The VSS on the Pulse Elites is terrible compared to my Sennheiser PC360's hooked up to an Astro Mixamp Pro. I'm not saying the headset itself is bad. I haven't tried the pulses with the PS4 though, maybe the PS4 does it better?

Eh...for many of us the Elites are a -massive- upgrade from TV audio. No doubt there are largely better surround options with higher disposable cash.

Very excited for this new update. Pulse headsets, but especially the ability to turn off the mic on the camera.

Short story... I was playing Warframe a while back with a bunch of random's online. We were right about find a boss, and I ended up dying because my teammates could revive me in time. Well, I took the time to start practicing my trombone. I had thought that I had previously unplugged the camera. It turns out, I didn't. About 10 minutes later, I hear someone yell through the speakers- "WHO THE FUCK OS PLAYING THE TRUMPET!!" I died with laughter, apologized profusely, and waited till after gaming to practice. Hooray for multitasking now!!

Top Bottom