• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

goonergaz

I bought the system two weeks ago and my number one request for a revision would be a USB port on the back.

no USB on the back really disapointed me...esp. when you consider the look of the machine, they went out of their way to design somethig that looked stylish and then forced you to use USBs on the front!?

Jomjom

Banned
Focusing on games is great and all, but Sony really needs to realize that they aren't a midsize corporation. They should be able to focus on games while still working on firmware; these two concepts are NOT mutually exclusive. If they suddenly started giving monthly firmware updates, it's not like gamers will suddenly complain that they are losing their gaming focus.

The current, common perception is that, while the Xbone doesn't play games at a higher graphical fidelity, it has the better AAA exclusives. That's a gaming focus plus firmware updates every month. Those firmware updates won't sell a console on their own, but they sure are a nice bonus to sway a person who's sitting on the fence.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well, it seems like the function is already there because if you turn off the console, when you turn it on it will just resume the download.

Ehm, users cannot pause or resume downloads. That's what people are clamoring for.

foxbeldin

Well, it seems like the function is already there because if you turn off the console, when you turn it on it will just resume the download.

Sounds like all they need is to put someone on it for like, one hour. Not emphasizing.

Ehm, users cannot pause or resume downloads. That's what people are clamoring for.

he means the console is capable of cutting downloads and resuming them, it's just you don't have the command.

I agree. Sony needs to step up, it's embarrassing how MS is outclassing them
on the software front. Especially when XB1 has 3 OS to deal with.

MS keeps bringing the features. lol

amqc7Wf.jpg

Alx

MS keeps bringing the features. lol

I didn't even know there was a version of Xbox Studio available for One. Or maybe I had forgotten about it. (*edit : maybe not : the marketplace says it's available since last week).
Remote installed. :)

mhd

Neo Member
Funny thing about that, Sony actually set up PS Blog Share a few years ago before Microsoft. Actually I think it was Jeff Rubenstein's idea, which would explain why Xbox now has it since he joined them.

Ah cool. Thanks for that - I had no idea it already existed. I wonder if anyone else has taken ownership of it since Jeff left, since the "ideas in action" count is currently at zero it might be abandoned.

Kayant

To deal with? You do know that is one of the very reasons MS has such fast iteration with XB1 right? Sony does need to step-up i agree but XB1's OS setup is not a hindrance.

homez99

Patch Notes
Cheers for this dude, some interesting things going on there. Hope this means that the controller info no longer covers the clock. The featured content stuff sounds interesting, but it depends what Sony thinks is featured content. Their opinions and ours sometimes vary.

orochi91

To deal with? You do know that is one of the very reasons MS has such fast iteration with XB1 right? Sony does need to step-up i agree but XB1's OS setup is not a hindrance.

A misunderstanding on my part. Either way, I envy what MS continues to do with the XB1 OSs.

amardilo

Anyone know when it will show up online to download from PlayStation.com?

I want to upgrade my HDD so I need the latest firmware on a USB stick.

Yes, I'm certainly shocked that Sony can't outclass Microsoft when it comes to software development, and OS's in particular. Truly shocked, I tell you.

Does anyone know why my PS4 keeps downloading these updates but not actually installing them? There's no reason for the console to download it and just let it sit there unless I explicitly sit down and tell it to install the update. Why can't it just install right after downloading?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Does anyone know why my PS4 keeps downloading these updates but not actually installing them? There's no reason for the console to download it and just let it sit there unless I explicitly sit down and tell it to install the update. Why can't it just install right after downloading?

Because every firmware requires you to sign a new TOS. In case anything goes wrong, or features are removed. That is not something you want to come home to.

Vooduu

Well Microsoft is a company built on the foundation of software...

Still no excuse for Sony, they're terrible at this.

Sid

Sounds like all they need is to put someone on it for like, one hour. Not emphasizing.

he means the console is capable of cutting downloads and resuming them, it's just you don't have the command.
Several times my download hasn't restarted if I didn't connect to the network the next time,so yes I would appreciate the blessing of pausing/resuming downloads on my end

On Demand

Banned

The 3 OS's is an advantage MS has to deal with.

And MS was built on software. It's not surprising the XB1's UI is better designed as far as connecting everything together seamlessly and features. It doesn't matter that Sony should be experienced with it by now. They will never match MS. They've been doing this for a long time.

SeanTSC

Is there a list of 3d games on playstation 4 ?

Games that support 3D that I know are Trine 2 and Sniper Elite 3. What else ?

Those are probably the only ones. 3D game support seems to have almost completely died off. It's not even in AC4 and AC3 had it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I bought the system two weeks ago and my number one request for a revision would be a USB port on the back.

On topic, no pause/resume for downloads is poor, such a basic feature. It can't be difficult to implement.

definitely this. especially when you use the usb to power stuff like headsets. its an eyesore. that and 5ghz wireless

Yeah it's weird. Black Ops 2 had it, but Ghosts doesn't. MK had it, but Injustice doesn't. It makes me sad.
3D will come back when a larger percentage of game console owners have 3D TVs or VR goggles which at a minimum support 3D.

Netflix only has about 56+ 3D titles. Comcast has ONE 3D channel with very limited programming. YouTube and several IPTV sites support 3D programming.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32662/c/65 said:
3D Television Broadcasts:

The ESPN® network broadcasts a number of different sporting events in 3D.
Sony, along with its partners Discovery Communications and IMAX, launched a 24/7 fully programmed and general entertainment 3D television network called 3net in the U.S.
The DIRECTV® satellite service provider offers some 3D channels and content as part of their HD Access option - visit http://www.directv.com for more information.
Some cable providers now offer 3D channels and content.
NOTE: For more information about any of the above programming, contact your local cable or satellite provider.

3D Blu-ray Disc® Movies:

You can watch 3D Blu-ray Disc movie titles in beautiful HDTV 3D quality by connecting a 3D-capable Blu-ray Disc player or Playstation®3 (PS3) gaming device to your 3D TV using a high-speed HDMI® cable.
Sony Pictures and Sony Home Entertainment are now providing many different movie titles in 3D.
NOTE: Visit http://www.Blu-ray.com/3d/ for pre-release information and anticipated release dates for 3D Blu-ray Disc movie titles.

Streaming 3D Movies from the Internet:

Sony offers 3D movies through the Sony Entertainment Network™ (SEN) service which is available on many Sony BRAVIA® Internet Video devices.
Stream 3D video from popular Internet sites, such as YouTube® 3D Gallery.
3D Games: At this time 3D gaming titles are only available for the PS3 game console. For information about available 3D games, visit the http://www.playstation.com website.

3D Photos: Still photos recorded in 3D can be displayed from a USB device, such as a digital camera.

3D Video: Personal video recorded in 3D with the Sony® 3D bloggie® HD cameras and Full HD 3D Handycam® camcorders is supported.
ATSC 2.0 coming on line now supports OTA 3D and so will ATSC 3.0 in about 5 years but I don't know of any Stations that are broadcasting 1080P on the subchannels YET much less 3D. PS3 Playstation Memories and Studio support 3D pictures and one supports picture viewing on a 4K TV with 30Hz HDMI port. My $149 Sony camera supports 1080P video and 3D pictures.

Sony Patents continue to mention 3D support so it's not dead just not accepted by consumers as mainstream (headache, nausea and the inconvenience in having to use glasses)

DLNA CVP3 certified platforms support 3D and a DLNA CVP2 Certified Smart TV is also a ATSC 2.0 TV. With a Network tuner or DLNA server with tuners, Certified DLNA CVP2 STBs and game consoles can support ATSC 2.0.

On Demand

Banned
A misunderstanding on my part. Either way, I envy what MS continues to do with the XB1 OSs.

If it bothers you that much and you really like the XB1's UI design and features, don't let console wars get in the way. Buy the console. No need to continue to be frustrated with PS4. Nothing is going to change much with Sony. MS will always be ahead. Imo anyway.

I like the XB1's software design too but it has absolutely nothing I want to play. I might just buy it to use the media apps.

Top Bottom