• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah, but the pic that was just posted on this page is new. I was talking about the other pic that was the only pre patch/post patch shot I've seen. The comparison on this page shows improved LOD, especially on the buildings, after the patch. But now I'm a "warrior" because I don't know why there's AF issues in some games? lol, ok

You clearly don't know how LOD works and are reading way to much in minute differences in screenshots. You are spreading misinformation based on bad guesses.

Dying Light has many dynamic elements. The time of day changes, leaves blow around as do trees. But you stare a screen and notice a blade of grass out place (do you know how the foliage is generated?) and yell downgrade to LOD? Do your homework before you post.

RK9039

giphy.gif

BONKERS

Are you guys really using my screenshot from a DEMO to talk about PS4 and AF issues? I mean come on. Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt for now?

I will be genuinely surprised if it has 16xAF. I honestly doubt it's going to have any or break past 4xAF.

Especially since very few games on PS4 have 16xAF. I doubt it's even on their checklist of shit to get through.

E.Duscae in general looks like ass imo. I know they are aiming for 1080p30 in final game but my expectations of IQ are exceptionally low. (Especially with only FXAA. Uck)

I will be genuinely surprised if it has 16xAF. I honestly doubt it's going to have any or break past 4xAF.

Especially since very few games on PS4 have 16xAF. I doubt it's even on their checklist of shit to get through.

E.Duscae in general looks like ass imo. I know they are aiming for 1080p30 in final game but my expectations of IQ are exceptionally low.

I don't think it will either, but it isn't fair to use this game in the context of the thread. Just because a demo doesn't have good AF doesn't mean it has something to do with the PS4.

Piggus

Currently we sadly don't get the information why xbone has a lower resolution in many cases.
It could be
- esram size
- gpu not powerful enough
- engine “issues“ (e.g. Fox engine)
which makes it hard to get an idea what helps and if it helps that xbone renders at a lower resolution.

The lower resolution in a lot of Bone games is actually really simple... It just doesn't have the horsepower for it and the lack of ROPs makes it inefficient at running most games at 1080p. It has half the number of ROPs (crucial for resolution) that AMD themselves recommends for 1080p gaming. And if you look at benchmarks comparing the equivalent PC GPUs (7850 vs 7770), you can see a very similar difference in performance.

Obviously it can still run games at 1080p, but it just isn't very good at it. The Bone's GPU and memory setup is quite poor by today's standards. The PS4 GPU isn't spectacular by any means, but the unified memory and high memory bandwidth make a big difference, and the number of ROPs make it much better suited for 1080p gaming (it meets AMD's recommendation in that regard.)

The AF issue still irks me. I've been gaming on PC for over ten years and at no point did cranking the AF up to 16x have any kind of noticeable impact on performance. So I'm really wondering why this is an issue with the PS4 (and consoles in general.)

stryke

Hasn't it actually improved? Posted some screens in the OT, I'll put them here too.

Taken from DF before patch:
inO7vT0piojKP.jpg

Pic I took after patch:
ibzsDmXZXdKKts.png

Lol, floating roof is funny.

But yeah, in this case draw distance seems to be better after the patch. Even the grass got a bump up in quality too.

Slaythe

Do some developers just think AF is luxury that people won't notice is missing? Thankfully this hasn't impacted any game I want yet.

I have no other explanation.

They'd lose what, 2 FPS on average by turning it on so i can't possibly explain why DmC and all those games look like shit.

Worst part is when XboxOne version has it.

I have the FF Games and DmC on ps4, but if anybody has type 0 on xbox one and wants to compare (or ff15) it'd be interesting.

Here it's, so far, a game problem more than a "ps4" problem, while DmC was ps4 only issue. But if the FF games have AF on xbox i think it's mandatory for Sony to address the issue.

jett

D-Member
SDgQJz.jpg

I know the game is a year or more out, but let's be real, AF isn't going to make it in. I can't wait to play this after work, but man so much texture soup. Is it trilinear striking again?

hideos visage

I really don't understand why this is happening.

Lemondish

I think the silence is what's causing this discussion to continue heating up. All we've heard is from that ICE team member who essentially pointed to the devs. It could simply be the way they're porting from the Xbone to the PS4.

Javin98

Banned
Hasn't it actually improved? Posted some screens in the OT, I'll put them here too.

Taken from DF before patch:
inO7vT0piojKP.jpg

Pic I took after patch:
ibzsDmXZXdKKts.png
Wow, so not only did they bump the AF to at least 8× but also improved the LOD? Damn, the crane, building in the middle and on the left look significantly better with the improved LOD. There is even more grass right in front of the player. I feel like buying this game just to support the devs for fixing these issues. Can anyone confirm if the XB1 version also benefited from the improved LOD?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I have no other explanation.

They'd lose what, 2 FPS on average by turning it on so i can't possibly explain why DmC and all those games look like shit.

Worst part is when XboxOne version has it.

I have the FF Games and DmC on ps4, but if anybody has type 0 on xbox one and wants to compare (or ff15) it'd be interesting.

Here it's, so far, a game problem more than a "ps4" problem, while DmC was ps4 only issue. But if the FF games have AF on xbox i think it's mandatory for Sony to address the issue.

It's not an issue, much less a mandatory thing that needs addressing.

mintylurb

You're confusing low resolution texture work for an AF issue. There are tons of low res PSP era textures in the game and no amount of AF is going to fix it.

Doors, windows all just being flat textures harken back to the n64 days. It's a good thing Type 0-HD isn't being sold at a full retail price..oh.

If people really care this much about graphics they should be playing on PC. All of these screenshots look totally fine. The only thing I noticed had a big red circle to tell me what to look for

Dargor

If people really care this much about graphics they should be playing on PC. All of these screenshots look totally fine. The only thing I noticed had a big red circle to tell me what to look for

I disagree with the bolded. Caring about graphics doesn't mean a person needs to play on PC. What some people are complaining here, i think, is that, in the case of AF, it doesn't seem to be something that needs too much resources for a number of games to be shipping out without it.

Its not a widespread issue, most games do have it. But it sure is weird, there is no real explanation for it to be happening.

Thats what people wanna know. Why are these games not using AF as they should?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

People like you are exhausting. This ISN'T a graphics or resolution debate, it's a discussion about why a simple thing like anisotropic filtering isn't being implemented on PS4 games, when the PS4 is obviously very capable of such a task.

Take your "better on PC" attitude elsewhere. It's adding nothing to the discussion.

Something as basic as anisotropic filtering shoud be possible on those consoles without practically any performance impact.
Not reason enough to switch to PC if the same games actually have AF on the competitor's platform (which has even less graphics power). It's an issue that can be adressed as seen with Dying Light (where the devs just patched in AF without performance impact)

If people didn't care this much about graphics why are they upgrading their consoles from the previous gen?

I thought as much.

This bullshit needs to end.

People should be playing on the PC, but not for this reason.

burgerdog

no amount of AF is going to make garbage textures look wonderful. that's not how AF works.

I know how AF works. Unless you're trying to say that no AF is better than having any amount. It would still be nice to be able to see what the texture is supposed to look like, rather than looking at mud.

jediyoshi

You're confusing low resolution texture work for an AF issue. There are tons of low res PSP era textures in the game and no amount of AF is going to fix it.

Err, what's happening to this flat plane above the red lane. That's shitty texture filtering.

lg0zcky.png

Hell, just throw the existing PSP game as is into an emulator and bump up AF. Things stay pretty legible.

VFCVaBg.png

I know how AF works. Unless you're trying to say that no AF is better than having any amount. It would still be nice to be able to see what the texture is supposed to look like, rather than looking at mud.

Actually, below a certain texture quality treshold texture filtering only makes the ugliness more evident, making you wish it were just bilinear or unfiltered. For example, Quake unfiltered vs bilinear:

renderer.gif

dr_rus

Actually, below a certain texture quality treshold texture filtering only makes the ugliness more evident, making you wish it were just bilinear or unfiltered. For example, Quake unfiltered vs bilinear:

renderer.gif

Quake with bilinear is much better than unfiltered. Especially in motion.

Top Bottom