• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

gofreak said:
To hammer home the point on content stereotyping:

Number of handheld-original franchises/games released and announced by Nintendo for 3DS? 2 (out of 12)

Number of the same announced by Sony for Vita? 6 (out of 17)

(These are games either completely original or of franchises originating on handhelds)

Of the rest we can argue that many of Nintendo's games are still suited to what's traditionally been considered 'handheld play', but I'd argue the same for many of Sony's - hot shots, lbp, stardust, mod nation, hustle kings etc.
As I said earlier though, how much exposure are these games going to get? That's key. Sony needs to market and expose these unique IPs as much as Nintendo did with their Brain Training and Nintendogs and Laytons otherwise their collective impact won't be strong enough to shape the system's identity. If Uncharted becomes the big thing for the system, it will give it a face of a portable PS3 which is something that Sony should be working against.

Having said all that though, I never agreed that the PSP consisted of mostly ports, even during its early days it had its unique games, it's just that those games were ignored and instead the more popular console ports sold better and created the system's identity.

longdi

Banned
Nintendo got lazy with 3DS, crappy but expensive 3D is not gimmicky enough to obtain DS type hit. Sony threw the kitchen sink with Vita and frankly i think because of this, Vita can beat 3DS even though i believe iOS will eventually break up the handheld market. There is really nothing outside of Nintendo games, that make 3DS more appealing to casuals.

tzare

StuBurns said:
A poster had a good idea yesterday. The PS4 shipping with a 'shell' version of the PSV as the controller, no client side rendering hardware, all streamed, but the same UI, the same physical format. So people with PSVs could use theirs instead.

that would be awesome. too awesome to become real , but being able to use vita as a pad would be sooooo cool

Cromat

NEO0MJ said:
And I really disprove of those games(except Starfox, but that's because I'm a whore for SF64). But don't forget that OOT and SF64 aren't available for any console. What I really meant by my comment were games like SFxTKN and Dragon's Crown, where it's the exact same game just downgraded. The 3DS is also guilty of Blazblue, a horrible, horrible downport.

I think there's a thin line between a "port" and a "multiplatform release".
Earlier in the generation most multiplatform games generally performed better on the 360. Does that mean that the PS3 only received downgraded ports?

The Vita is equipped to do everything the 360 and PS3 do with slightly worse graphics (and the limitations of storage, though I think Sony will overcome that eventually). I'm not so sure SFxTKN can be considered a down-graded port instead of just being a multiplatform release.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Magicpaint said:
As I said earlier though, how much exposure are these games going to get? That's key. Sony needs to market and expose these unique IPs as much as Nintendo did with their Brain Training and Nintendogs and Laytons otherwise their collective impact won't be strong enough to shape the system's identity. If Uncharted becomes the big thing for the system, it will give it a face of a portable PS3 which is something that Sony should be working against.

Having said all that though, I never agreed that the PSP consisted of mostly ports, even during its early days it had its unique games, it's just that those games were ignored and instead the more popular console ports sold better and created the system's identity.

Well, I think anyone paying attention to their E3 showing will come away with an impression of a varied line-up. There's really only one game that I think could be argued is 'big screen-ish' (Golden Abyss), and IMO, it's doing a mighty fine job of looking attractive in the Vita context.

But I wasn't really arguing perception anyway, just nuts-and-bolts facts about the actual make-up of the lineups vs what some in here have been saying.

Personally, if the Vita delivers Wipeot, Uncharted, Tekken vs SF, Sound Shapes, and Gravity Daze at launch...it will be one of the best launch lines ups. Certainly superior to what the PS3 or 360 offered at launch.

FoneBone

Magicpaint said:

Yep. The original content is there, but I'm not convinced Sony has any good idea of how to sell it.

Majukun

IrishNinja said:
what is all this wipeout talk

luigi's mansion 2 = KILLER APP
to irishninja

ya'll heard it here first

what i find strange is that the sequel of the game who showed to the world the awesomeness of dual analog control is going to come to the console that doesn't have a second analog stick :[

Somnid

Majukun said:
what i find strange is that the sequel of the game who showed to the world the awesomeness of dual analog control is going to come to the console that doesn't have a second analog stick :[

Actually the controls were one of the worst parts about LM.

FoneBone said:
I really, really don't buy the line that the lack of dual analogs was the primary factor keeping console spinoffs from doing much better on PSP. I think it's fanboy revisionist history.
What do you mean by "do much better"? I never spoke of sales in my statement. I played MGS, Resistance, and Syphon Filter and the control schemes took 85% of the enjoyment out of the game. For this reason, I stated they were shit.

If you feel like responding to my post leave the fanboy bullshit out or dont bother responding.

Pirabear

Banned
Was originally on the 3DS hype train last year, but each new peace of info coming out for it the closer it got to launch got me less and less interested. Only 1st party game that would truly be a system seller for me would be Mother 4, hell, even on the DS most of my games are 3rd party. Vita in it's current state has Dragon's Crown, Shinobido 2, Sound Shapes and Gravity, all of which look more interesting than 3DS current offering IMO. TGS is gonna be the last thing that will cement my decision on what to buy first, but so far Vita is winning.

Lan_97

I have no doubt great games will come for 3D, but I am still incredibly disappointed with the hardware and the overall user experience. One analog pad, single touch resistive touch screen, terrible cameras, almost no online/social network structure. All for a measly $250. The 3D is great, but it feels like the system was developed in a bubble where their only goal was to improve upon the DS.

Riposte said:
Dude, really? The touch pad is another set of controls. The very least it is easily one or two "buttons". In some situations it functions as a second layer of multi-touch(something completely unique).

3D is a visual effect. A gimmicky visual effect, as it is commonly called.

Not the same.

Judging depth is very possible without it. I think you gravely overestimate it.

In fact Nintendo simply has no interest in releasing a game where 3D is somehow important because then it might cut off some of the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if they prevent other developers from doing so with some sort of certification process. TBH, no method of making 3D more than a visual effect comes to mind.

Which is a good thing since human beings only have one pair of eyes.

(Developers realize and most games primarily have the action take place on one screen at a time. So not a big loss.)

EDIT: The 3DS has been on the market for quite a bit of time now. It is not something you can only see in person at e3. A lot of people have seen it. Christ your arguments blow.

4m sold and barely 3 months on the market is quite a bit of time now? My apologies. There are shit tons of people that haven't seen it.

Again, I'm not discounting the Vita, seems calling 3D anything but a "gimmick" can't be discussed. Calling a touch screen on the back "innovative and endless possibilities" is top tier though.

I also didn't say that you couldn't judge depth without 3d? What the fuck is that? Of course you can, we've been playing games for decades without 3D. But seeing it in action was awesome and I want to play every Mario game like that.

Don't be so defensive.

The biggest problem the Vita has is that it's not aiming towards family/children. Do parents want their younger kids playing Uncharted?

Every kid I know has a DS including mine. Their is a stigma with things and Sony has a huge uphill battle to be able to sell this thing out of the gate towards the single biggest handheld user: kids.

NEO0MJ

Cromat said:
The Vita is equipped to do everything the 360 and PS3 do with slightly worse graphics (and the limitations of storage, though I think Sony will overcome that eventually). I'm not so sure SFxTKN can be considered a down-graded port instead of just being a multiplatform release.

Even if the games are console perfect, how are they supposed to convince people to pick the version on the small screen? That's a big problem in my opinion, as many of my friends seem to hate portables for their small screens.
What I want to see is more games like Uncharted that are different than their console counterparts so those who dislike portables feel like they are missing something.

Edit: Also, Sony should probably give more focus to it's portable only games and try to keep them portable, have their own Pokemon. Monster Hunter kinda fits that but it's not their own franchise so they shouldn't count on it.

A strong first party lineup (Wipeout, Uncharted, Motorstorm, Resistance/Killzone, and many, many more) along with some killer 3rd party titles that either don't make it to or are less impressive on the 3DS (Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc.) definitely sell me on the Vita as a handheld. A suite of great games that I just can't get on iOS or Android devices makes it worth having.

Nintendo only has power so long as they have their first party franchises. I'm still interested in a 3DS, but only if the games can deliver, not for the hardware itself. At the moment, I'd definitely at least be waiting on a 3DS revision to get better battery life and have a larger library whereas the Vita has me considering a day 1 purchase.

The price is another big factor - I bought a DS at launch since it was relatively cheap. The PSP comparatively was prohibitively expensive. At the same price, I see a lot more value in getting a Vita over a 3DS, especially with the 3DS not seeming like a very good value proposition (to me) at its current price.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
No vs for me, I already own a 3DS and will purchase a Vita day 1 because I can see they both have unique experiences to offer.

stupei

Lan_97 said:
I have no doubt great games will come for 3D, but I am still incredibly disappointed with the hardware and the overall user experience. One analog pad, single touch resistive touch screen, terrible cameras, almost no online/social network structure. All for a measly $250. The 3D is great, but it feels like the system was developed in a bubble where their only goal was to improve upon the DS.

I don't think this means what you think it means.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Izayoi said:
NINTNEDO SUX

prove me wrong

In all seriousness though, competition is good. I hope all of this awesome news about the Vita has lit a fire under Nintendo's ass. They need to get their shit in gear.

Pretty much. As someone who bought a GBA, GBASP, DS, and DSL all on launch day AND currently has no fully functioning handheld (cracked hinge eventually borked my top screen last year on the DSL) I realllly want a new handheld. The 3DS just didn't do it for me despite the fact that I've been a day 1 buyer in on their last two handhelds.

I'm allll about the Vita right now. Hell my GF just told me I should just got preorder one somewhere now. LOL

Granted I like Nintendo games A L O T, but the Vita just is soooo much goodness wrapped up in such a tight package. That's not to say I couldn't be swayed to get on the 3DS bandwagon instead of the Vita or in addition too (I'd only get 1 for NOW just cause I don't want to spend all of my cash supporting both systems this early). No fucking way am I going in with the current 3DS design and software lineup for 2011 @ $250.

This is the 1st time I haven't owned a Nintendo piece of hardware since well fuck last century. I really hope Nintendo doesn't just try and coast on their franchise and good will Name wise in the handheld space. I hope Nintendo while they won't say it outright is going FUCK WE NEED TO SCRAMBLE STAT internally at least. I need more games especially from 3rd parties, and it needs a price drop well yesterday if truth be told. Give me a $200 OOT bundle and I might be in.

I'm not even sure at this point if $200 would get me in with what Nintendo has offering. The closer they get to my personal magic number of $150 the more likely I'd be alllll in. Plus considering I now take a backpack with me everywhere (I bring my IEMS, my chromebook, my meds, sometimes a granola bar, and whatever else I need for the day) I can just throw my Vita in there so the largeness of the device isn't gonna be a cockblock for me personally.

I'd really like a handheld too because I've been out and about alot lately either hanging at my GFs, went to Vegas last week/end, going to the family lake house for summer fun etc... and a handheld other than my WP7 Focus would be reaaallly nice.

Currently I really only have 1 worry for the Vita, and that's how much memory sticks are gonna be. That and while it's not a worry I'd like more than one launch color. Where as with the 3DS I have a lot of worries like the Pilotwings demo did nothing for me 3d wise, the price is high, the graphics are good but not even close to the vita, lack of appealing games to me personally, and the only one analog means you have to use the touch screen deal (which IMO sucked on the DS so I see no reason it won't suck here).

That being said I love me some Mario and Mario Kart. IF Nintendo would announce a 2d/2.5D Metroid and Donkey Kong along with a new Pokemon it would really help sway me IF we get a price drop. There's currently nothing Nintendo can do to get me in at $250. Just no way no how.

Mael

Well now that Sony confirmed that Vita is regionfree, no way in hell I'm not using that as my primary handheld...
I'll miss my second screen though,
the 3d thingy can go take a hike for everything they announced right now, unless GoldenSun gets a sequel there I don't think I'll bother.

Door2Dawn

Banned
The Vita has nothing that I want to play right now. The 3DS has games that I actually want to play. So I will most likely by a 3DS first. Simple as that.

All those features that the Vita has is nice and all, but the success of a gaming platform will and always will be the games. And if the 3DS has more games that people want to play, then the 3DS will be victorious. Same goes for the Vita.

ascii42

Majukun said:
Much like when Sony release Ape Escape for the PSP.

Zaptruder said:
With all the hype from E3 for the Vita and the general bagging of the 3DS, things seem to be finally going Sony's way.

But if I recall correctly, this was a similar situation to the one Sony and Nintendo found themselves in with the NDS and PSP.

i.e. the NDS released to lukewarm reception, and the PSP came into steal the thunder completely.

Of course not everything is the same... so with that in mind, lets figure out the differences of circumstances.

What's different this time where the situation won't repeat itself like last time?

And what are the things Sony might want to be cautious of in order to temper their expectations despite the reception for the PSV so far?

e.g.

what's different is that both handhelds are going to be in the same range cost wise. Games wise they sound like they're about the same price too.

What Sony might want to be cautious of is developmental costs; the graphics are great, but will developers be driven off because the cost to make their games look on par with the system will cost more than they'll be rewarded with?

Especially with reduced cost per unit of game sold? Have handheld games really sold truck loads on the basis of their graphics as well?

So... is history going to repeat itself? Or has Sony managed to tweak the details just right so they'll come out ahead this time?

You're right that Sony needs to make sure development costs don't spiral out of control like current generation consoles did, that would alienate a lot of Japanese developers.

The big difference this time around is that there really isn't that functionality advantage in favor of Nintendo between the PSVita and the 3DS unlike the PSP and the NDS due to the NDS having dual touchscreens and PSP having none, the NDS had a series of huge hits that really turned the tide in Nintendo's favor, something that has yet to happen with the 3DS, but Nintendo can always rely on the Marios and the Pokemons, they always have those trump cards to play, whereas Sony really doesn't.

A big problem with the PSP in terms of having that console gaming experience on a handheld is the lack of a second analog stick, that was huge, especially given the popularity of modern day shooters and it was impossible to make a shooter on the PSP without compromising on controls, this is no longer the case on the PSVita. Hardware-wise you can't ask for a better piece of handheld hardware from Sony, the rest is up to the games and their ability to get at least the important third-party publishers on-board. In terms of Japan Capcom is going to be key with Monster Hunter, they need to get Capcom on-board early, as well as Square-Enix and neither publishers have been all that supportive of Sony's platforms in the past few years, especially Square-Enix.

i think ultimately the 3ds will sell more units. in my opinion it comes down to games like mario and pokemon, and kids not having any comparable options on psvita. ive never seen a kid with a psp, and i dont think enough is different about psvita to change anything. the touch is nice, but ds/3ds has the established touch game fanbase (brain age, layton, etc.), and kids will care about any graphical differences

btkadams

flyinpiranha said:
4m sold and barely 3 months on the market is quite a bit of time now? My apologies. There are shit tons of people that haven't seen it.

Again, I'm not discounting the Vita, seems calling 3D anything but a "gimmick" can't be discussed. Calling a touch screen on the back "innovative and endless possibilities" is top tier though.

I also didn't say that you couldn't judge depth without 3d? What the fuck is that? Of course you can, we've been playing games for decades without 3D. But seeing it in action was awesome and I want to play every Mario game like that.

Don't be so defensive.

The biggest problem the Vita has is that it's not aiming towards family/children. Do parents want their younger kids playing Uncharted?

Every kid I know has a DS including mine. Their is a stigma with things and Sony has a huge uphill battle to be able to sell this thing out of the gate towards the single biggest handheld user: kids.
not to get in your squabble, but 3d does not change the way you play a game. a back touch panel does. the two are not even close to being comparable.
MalboroRed said:
You're right that Sony needs to make sure development costs don't spiral out of control like current generation consoles did, that would alienate a lot of Japanese developers.

The big difference this time around is that there really isn't that functionality advantage in favor of Nintendo between the PSVita and the 3DS unlike the PSP and the NDS due to the NDS having dual touchscreens and PSP having none, the NDS had a series of huge hits that really turned the tide in Nintendo's favor, something that has yet to happen with the 3DS, but Nintendo can always rely on the Marios and the Pokemons, they always have those trump cards to play, whereas Sony really doesn't.

A big problem with the PSP in terms of having that console gaming experience on a handheld is the lack of a second analog stick, that was huge, especially given the popularity of modern day shooters and it was impossible to make a shooter on the PSP without compromising on controls, this is no longer the case on the PSVita. Hardware-wise you can't ask for a better piece of handheld hardware from Sony, the rest is up to the games and their ability to get at least the important third-party publishers on-board. In terms of Japan Capcom is going to be key with Monster Hunter, they need to get Capcom on-board early, as well as Square-Enix and neither publishers have been all that supportive of Sony's platforms in the past few years, especially Square-Enix.
i totally agree with your post but the ds only had 1 touch screen (in case it wasn't an error and this was your belief).

Mista Koo

After looking more at Vita I'm really disappointed with the 3DS hardware wise. Vita can do everything 3DS can (sans 3D, meh) in a better way, the capabilities are better and I'm pretty sure touch based games would play better. It's hard to think of a 3DS game that will focus mainly on the touch screen (unless it's used as a touchpad/trackpad and Vita has these), also unlike the DS Lite the stylus slot in (vanilla) 3DS doesn't help for quick usage alongside normal controls.

Having said that I'll never regret getting a 3DS since my main reason for getting a Nintendo device are Nintendo games and handheld-ish games will probably be on 3DS (same reasons I might get a Wii U). Although now there's a huge chance I'll get a Vita as well, unlike the PSP which I had no interest in for a long time and still haven't got one (neither got a PS3, so that's more of a reason to get a Vita).

So I'd say Vita wins, disregarding sales and game library.
What's left? Hardware?!

I have a 3DS and have no doubt the games will come.

I am interested in Vita but for me a handheld full of PS3/360 ports do not interest me. I am always gonna buy the game on console over handheld if I have a choice. Will people seriously double dip on games so they have one for home and one for travels?

Just earlier I had a friend call me saying he is getting Vita as he cant wait to play his PS3 games on a handheld. I told him I more interested in Vita only games but for him he doesnt seem to care.

If Vita gets a library of quality non console games then happy days. I want Vita and 3DS both to do well. You can own both machines people!

btkadams

kobashi100 said:

I am interested in Vita but for me a handheld full of PS3/360 ports do not interest me. I am always gonna buy the game on console over handheld if I have a choice. Will people seriously double dip on games so they have one for home and one for travels?

Just earlier I had a friend call me saying he is getting Vita as he cant wait to play his PS3 games on a handheld. I told him I more interested in Vita only games but for him he doesnt seem to care.

If Vita gets a library of quality non console games then happy days. I want Vita and 3DS both to do well. You can own both machines people!
i'd definitely doubledip on some games. like, if need for speed hot pursuit had been released on vita and ps3 i would get both so i could continue the game when i'm not on the couch. that game takes forever to set up on consoles lol. it's the main reason i haven't beaten it. it just is a bother to go and set up sometimes.

LM4sure

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
Even if the games are console perfect, how are they supposed to convince people to pick the version on the small screen? That's a big problem in my opinion, as many of my friends seem to hate portables for their small screens.
What I want to see is more games like Uncharted that are different than their console counterparts so those who dislike portables feel like they are missing something.

Edit: Also, Sony should probably give more focus to it's portable only games and try to keep them portable, have their own Pokemon. Monster Hunter kinda fits that but it's not their own franchise so they shouldn't count on it.

That’s my thought exactly. The PSP was technically superior to the ds, but that crashed and burned, and the PSP was in line graphically with the PS2. What is the difference this time? So I can play Uncharted on a handheld. So what? I can also play it on my PS3, which is what the vast majority of people would prefer to do! Even making it a different game than the PS3 version won’t do much to help steer people toward the PSVita. Didn’t the PSP get a unique version of MGS, one of the biggest franchises on the PS2/PS3? And that did not help with PSP sales. Not sure what the selling point is here to be honest…

alphaNoid

Banned
As someone who owns a DS that is basically a paperweight, and having used a Vita at E3 this year... Vita > 3DS. I used a 3DS as well, not interested.

For me, personally, and the games we know already:

Vita:

-Uncharted
-Future Syphon Filter?

3DS:

-Mario 3DS
-Luigi's Mansion 2
-Future Zelda game
-Future Metroid game ? God I hope

Jokeropia

It's all about the software, and I don't see how Sony can compete with the strength of Nintendo's first party, especially on the handheld market.

MrMephistoX

I was doubtful until I saw the Super Mario, Kid Icarus and Zelda trailers on my 3DS. Hell the minute I saw the Tanooki suit I was sold. That said I still think Vita might surprise people and am getting one at launch.

StuBurns

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Good idea

PSV:

BioShock - Don't need more than Levine's name to sell me.
Broken - Looks interesting to me, hopefully not full price.
Gravity
Killzone
LBP
Resistance
Shinobido 2 - Maybe
Silent Hill - Maybe, hopefully it's being made in Japan.
Sound Shapes
Stardust Delta
Uncharted

3DS:

Animal Crossing - I've still never played this series, can't wait.
Fantasy Life - Looks pretty
Paper Mario
Super Mario
Time Travelers

Busaiku

Not really sold on any Vita games right now beyond Street Fighter X Tekken.
3DS frankly had me more interested in terms of its lineup back at its E3 reveal.

Still, I'm probably getting a Vita early on even if Street Fighter X Tekken is the only game I might play for months.

To everyone saying Vita just offers more of the ps3 stuff, this is proof that we're seeing unique games right from launch that aren't available anywhere else

I'd rather have stuff like this than Mario rehash #235893412, 3D or not.

kobashi100 said:

Where are all these console ports you are talking about? Are you just assuming so like everyone else in this thread going "hurrr nothing but ports"

The 3DS has more ports than the PS Vita does. So are you going to trade in your 3DS?

MrMephistoX

LM4sure said:
So what? I can also play it on my PS3, which is what the vast majority of people would prefer to do! Even making it a different game than the PS3 version won’t do much to help steer people toward the PSVita. Didn’t the PSP get a unique version of MGS, one of the biggest franchises on the PS2/PS3? And that did not help with PSP sales. Not sure what the selling point is here to be honest…

The difference is the PSP was only current gen for like a year and Sony really didn't have an established online infrastructure at the time. Modern Warfare 3 for Vita would probably be a huge seller especially if it features a TRANSFAR esque save system and Call of Duty Elite functionality. You know it's coming.

Vita offers me alot more for my money, and the 3ds just feels clunky and cheap.

I'm buying the vita at launch, and will by the 3ds when it has a couple of price drops and a hardware revision.

I don't really care about 3D at all, but will want to play the "new" Animal Crossing game at some point.

J-Rzez

It's going to come down to the games. This time may pan out quite differently via PSN/PSstore. If the cheaper, short-n-sweet, quick to play games hit the PSV along with it's more robust console like experiences it can really change the tides. The PSP just lacked a multitude of quick to play games. If they get better JPN support this time too, via said services, along with full games, things very well can change.

Sony has the momentum here as the price/hardware makes the 3DS not nearly as attractive, the lack of 3DS uptake and support thus far is to Sony's advantage as well, if Sony can do what I think they need to do, I believe they can really put a hurting on nintendo this time.

thefil

Is anyone else interested in these purely as home consoles? In general I carry my Kindle instead of my DS/PSP, so really the fact that exclusive games I'm interested in release on the handhelds makes them inconvenient.

In short: please patch Mario Kart Wii and WipEout HD with the 3DS/PSV features/tracks. Those are the two games I'm really ready for.

So speaking personally now, I still haven't gotten a 3DS because nothing out there interests me and especially not for the price point; I will however have no choice but to pick it up in the future because I love me my usual dose of Nintendo first party goodness.

PSVita I want based more on potential too, basically I don't think there's enough shown that gets me excited but I love me some gorgeous visuals in my palm and I love the overall hardware design a loooot more than I do the 3DS, so I am sure that won't go to waste.

Also hopefully, both systems get more great original RPGs this time around. The DS/PSP weren't lacking, but they definitely had their fair share of ports/remakes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jason's Ultimatum said:

Vita:

-Uncharted
-Future Syphon Filter?

3DS:

-Mario 3DS
-Luigi's Mansion 2
-Future Zelda game
-Future Metroid game ? God I hope
I would love to see another overhead Zelda in 2D (ala Link to the Past) using 3D to provide layered depth to the 2D art. I think the 3DS actually has the more potential for 2D games than 3D. That seems at odds with the very concept of the system, but I think setting parallax layers to display at varying depths would actually look extremely good.

Is anyone else interested in these purely as home consoles? In general I carry my Kindle instead of my DS/PSP, so really the fact that exclusive games I'm interested in release on the handhelds makes them inconvenient.
Somewhat. I typically bring my handhelds to work for lunch time play or when I have somewhere to be and expect a wait. I have a baby on the way in 2 months, however, so I'll probably be doing more handheld gaming due to convenience and the ability to put the device to sleep and instantly resume.

Sianos

Nimajneb said:
Vita will offer a more current gen console-like experience. 3DS will have Nintendo games, plus more unique games and things like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and a ton of oldschool JRPGs.

Both will be worth owning.
Pretty much.

If Vita has software that appeals more to you, buy Vita.

If the 3DS has software that apppeals more to you, buy the 3DS

If you like the software from both, buy both.

Right now they both seem to have their advantages, so it really just comes down to what your personal preferences are.

Top Bottom