• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

LosDaddie

Banned
Linkzg said:
without getting into the purpose of this thread, I'll just say that standard portable game pricing is awful. $40 is high for Vita games and way too high for 3DS games. I'm hoping the Vita will get a great push in $10-15 games on PSN because it seems to have an online focus. But assuming games like that billiards one is full price at $40...what? no!

I think NIntendo would be wise to cut the 3DS to $200 and games to $30 before the PSV launches.

i find the lack of third party announcements from BOTH Sony and Nintendo worrying actually.

i mean, yeah, a nintendo system can turn a healthy profit from just Nintendo games, but as we're seeing with the Wii, and as we saw with the Gamecube... that's only good for so long, and once the 3rd party games dry up... sales slow right down.

that everyone is going 'of course the 3DS will be a success, it has pokemon and mario!' in many ways to me kind of condemns it to a short lifespan.

yeah, they can survive like that... but they want to do better than surviving, and they wouldn't keep trying to get 3rd parties involved on their hardware if they really didn't want to.

just putting out great Nintendo games isn't enough.

i really hope to see that 3rd party Sony reel at some point. i really hope to see COD and other stuff. what i don't understand at all is why they aren't showing the third party stuff when we know its ready to be shown.

sphinx

the piano man
When and if I jump in the next handheld generatio, I'll being with nintendo. When the generation is about to end, I'll buy PSV with the handful exclusives that are a must.

It has worked wonderful so far.

It's hard to not be seduced by a new nintendo hanheld, even by one that sucks as much as the 3DS. It will eventually get a new Zelda, with real wind waker graphics, even. It will already get a main resident evil game. It will also get Etrian Odyssey 4 and the list of my personal musthaves will just get bigger.

I expect a huge blowout from square enix with 3DS support at TGS.

I am just waiting for this year's TGS for the announcement, a redesign, a new color and maybe some price drop or decent bundle. That being said, I can see myself buying 3DS next year around christmas.

Vita sometime later when It has 1 or 2 years of life left, I will raid the fuck out of thehut.com amazon.co-uk and whatnot with cheap vita games :D

Drek

Leona Lewis said:
PSVita

I think the lineups for both platforms are pretty anemic, but the main problem for Vita is where it will stand once PS4 development ramps up.

Already we see that (other than Wipeout and HSG) the heavy hitters like Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and Killzone are being relegated to B-tier teams that didn't develop the series originally. Whereas I get the sense that Nintendo is more egalitarian with regard to its A-tier development teams working between handhelds and consoles.

I worry that after the Vita glow has faded and the games become the center of attention rather than the hardware, we'll all be scratching our heads. Did anyone really yearn for a portable Resistance or Killzone game? Sony Bend are super talented - despite how jaw-dropping Uncharted looks, wouldn't you rather have them working on an original Vita IP?

And when PS4 steals all the attention and resources, will third parties be there to fill the gaps with new experiences, or will they follow Sony's lead and use Vita as a dumping ground for unoriginal, not so exciting spin-offs?

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I'm just not excited about the Bioshock spinoff for Vita at all, nor will I be excited about the inevitable Mass Effect, CoD, MGS, and Silent Hill spin-offs. Part of me is looking forward to Wipeout and HSG just because I know they're in the hands of the people in charge of their respective series, the people who intimately understand the "spark" that makes those games work.

Hopefully that magic $249 price point will give developers the confidence to make Vita a home for their original IPs.
Um....

Sony released the PSP before the PS3 and in no way short changed the PSP on first party content throughout its life.

The big difference here is that Sony doesn't make good console developers jump to handhelds or good handheld developers jump to console.

They pulled Ready at Dawn effectively out of thin air to make Daxter and the PSP GoW games which were fantastic. Bend put out excellent PSP shooters under the Syphon Filter IP and are a great choice to make a Vita-specific Uncharted game.

Even still they had Guerrilla Games make Killzone Liberation on the PSP, i.e. the "A tier" developer making their own IP on the PSP while working on Killzone 2 for the PS3. They also had Polyphony Digital make Gran Tourismo for PSP.

Sony's first party lineup should be the last concern anyone could have. They were fantastic on PSP, have been fantastic on PS3, and have a great lineup for the Vita already in the pipeline. They stick it out through the generation with their hardware and are willing to put out a unique title that might not be profitable in order to offer something new (see Loco Roco and Patapon).

The only reason Bend is doing Uncharted is because Bend has proven themselves on par with any "A-tier" developer out there when it comes to making games on portable systems.

I have more faith in them making an outstanding Uncharted game on the Vita than Naughty Dog, who is a console only developer to this point.

hamchan

How many people here are going to own both anyways? Nintendo already has my money with the 3DS and Vita is definitely a day one for me, so why am I here? Oh yeah that's right, to read some good (and not so good) debates.

Oppo

Laguna said:
Since Sony is even more focusing on a multiplattform strategy than with PSP and Vita mostly gets downgraded consoleports and Vita exclusive highlights most likely will be ported to PS3 either way in future like recently both PSP God of Wars and MGSPW it´s really difficult to convince me over with downgraded versions and when the so called exclusives most likely will be available on PS3. There is an obvious lack in the exclusive content department especially from 3rd parties and I´m certain that I won´t double dip and pay 40-50$ extra for a downgraded version just to play it on PS3 and on Vita since the original console version is the way to go for me especially for presentation/cinematic centric games.

take a breath buddy!

edit below: added_time... you will wait a long time, so that backlog is good. $150, why not ask for a pony while you're at it. ;)

Neither one is getting my money yet because $150 is the most I will spend on a handheld videogame system. It doesn't matter to me one bit how much it costs them to make or if they are losing money.
First console to $150 is a +1 sale from me.

(and I'm prepared to wait a LONG time since I have a DS backlog of 50 awesome games waiting to be played that will take me a couple years to get through)

Drek

TheExodu5 said:
The PS Vita only needs to be more expensive to develop for if Sony puts standards for that kind of thing in place. My argument stands: they should not.

I mean, is anyone really going to be angry if they release a game that looks like Disgaea on the PS Vita? Or a port of Cave Story? Etc...
This is the big question with Sony.

They need to allow any PSN game that can run on Vita (read: almost all of them) to be transfered to Vita much like PS1, PSP, and PSmini games.

When Pixeljunk makes a new game they should be encouraged, not just allowed, to make it a PS3/Vita cross release. Same with anything from Thatgamecompany, etc. etc.. They need to leverage those $10-$20 PSN releases into an immediate advantage to their new system's library.

If a 3rd party wants to differentiate between their PS3 and Vita offerings as two different retail products that should be their choice, but if Sony wants this to be a success and at the same time see PSN become the dominant digital distro system for non-PC users they should be encouraging this kind of cross platform use, much like Steam has encouraged the cross platform use of titles on both PC and Mac.

That would also be a massive shot in the arm for Playstation+ subscriptions too, another key product for Sony to grow.

Riposte

Wouldn't be funny if Luigi's Mansion was somehow cursed so that whatever platform it touched it would be a disaster for nintendo?

I wonder which of the two can make me want to play fighting games on them. I mean I am a stick player. I don't know... maybe Vita can do something with the touchpad? Damn.

hamchan said:
How many people here are going to own both anyways? Nintendo already has my money with the 3DS and Vita is definitely a day one for me, so why am I here? Oh yeah that's right, to read some good (and not so good) debates.
i'm enjoying my 3DS and excited for the Vita. i'm here because the handheld space (including smart phones) is a very interesting market right now, and the home console market has pretty much settled down and become predictable.

the portable market right now... is fascinating. i really don't know which way it's going to go. i want both platforms to succeed, as ever, because as an owner of both, i'm going to want software to keep flowing. if it slows to the crawl that the Wii is experiencing now, or the PSP came to experience (i don't like JRPGs...), on either platform, that's no good.

also, a close, longer fight is going to be better for consumers. so that's another reason i'm pulling for that.

Cromat

Lets do a comparison:

DS:
- Innovative (at the time) touch screen
- Launched at $150
- Good battery life
- Provided a different experience from consoles
- Mediocre online features
- No loading times
- "Non-games" that are a huge success

PSP:
- Launched at $250
- Aimed at delivering console-like experiences
- Bad battery life
- Bad loading times
- Standard, yet gimped, controls (only one analog nub) and no touchscreen

Now this round:

3DS:
- Launched at $250
- Apparently aimed at delivering console-like experiences (port of MGS3?)
- Bad battery life
- No loading time
- Standard controls with a touch screen that is no longer novel, and motion controls
- 3D screen, with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails
- "Non-gamers" have mostly moved on to smartphones

Vita:
- Launched at $250
- Aimed at delivering console-like experiences
- Bad battery life
- No loading time
- Perfect controls with a multitouch screen, two analog sticks and a rear touch panel, as well as motion controls
- Capable of better graphics than any handheld devices at the moment
- Modern online features

Last time around, some bad design choices on the PSP made it an inferior portable system to the DS.
This time around the playing field is a lot more even on price, control options and battery life. Also, the competition from smartphones, iPods and tablets will be fierce.
It's impossible to tell right now which one will come ahead, but it is possible to determine that this time it'll all come down to the GAMES - not external reasons such as input method, battery life or price.
Whoever delivers the most games will win.

The 3DS will have Mario and Pokemon so i'm not too worried about it.
The Vita seems to be coming to a relatively strong start but it needs a killer app and it needs it fast. Will that killer app be a portable Call of Duty? Hard to tell.

TheExodu5 said:
The PS Vita only needs to be more expensive to develop for if Sony puts standards for that kind of thing in place. My argument stands: they should not.

I mean, is anyone really going to be angry if they release a game that looks like Disgaea on the PS Vita? Or a port of Cave Story? Etc...

You might have heard of the entire Japanese gaming market before. They would be upset.

There have been instances where games on UMD in Japan are released in the United States only on PSN.

I get that PS Suite and PSN downloadables can help, but the retail games need variable pricing. The problem is the retailers, partly. You can't release Billiards game on a Vita cart at $40, then release it a more appropriate lower price on PSN.

And $40 is still a bit much for Vita games because it doesn't exist in a bubble. People aren't going to stop buying 360/PS3/Wii/PC/etc. games. Portable gaming often in addition to console gaming, so it should be a greater distance from console game prices to convince people to buy both, not one or the other.

Let's be optimists and say Vita is launching this year with Uncharted as a launch game. Now, Uncharted 3 is also coming out. so do you buy both? that's $100 on uncharted games in a short period. (I'm well aware how stupid this sounds. It is 100 degrees and I didn't sleep but please understand).

and 3DS Ware is a nonentity until Nintendo introduces accounts and shows some support. Steel Diver had no place as a retail game. At E3, they didn't show any support for it except for maybe that free Four Swords game for DSi.

RedSwirl

Right now, 3DS.

The PS Vita's hardware certainly looks more appealing and like the better value, but I'm not interested in a single one of it's exclusive game's yet. 3DS already has several both already out and coming this holiday that I want. Like most platforms, I'll give the Vita until its first holiday season after launch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
3DS:
- Launched at $250
- Apparently aimed at delivering console-like experiences (port of MGS3?)
- Bad battery life
- No loading time
- Standard controls with a touch screen that is no longer novel, and motion controls
- 3D screen, with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails
- "Non-gamers" have mostly moved on to smartphones
Hmm, you seem to be insinuating that "cartridge = no loading", but that is most certainly NOT the case with 3DS (likewise for Vita, I'm sure). Every 3DS game I've played has had loading and some of those load screens are actually longer than you'd expect. Ridge Racer 3D, for instance, takes longer to load on 3DS than Ridge Racers PSP did running from a UMD.

Laguna

Banned
PortTwo said:
take a breath buddy!

edit below: added_time... you will wait a long time, so that backlog is good. $150, why not ask for a pony while you're at it. ;)

Buddy what´s your problem? If you like the multiplattform strategy fine. For me there have to be enough appealing exclusive titles first before I dig in.

Cromat

dark10x said:
Hmm, you seem to be insinuating that "cartridge = no loading", but that is most certainly NOT the case with 3DS (likewise for Vita, I'm sure). Every 3DS game I've played has had loading and some of those load screens are actually longer than you'd expect. Ridge Racer 3D, for instance, takes longer to load on 3DS than Ridge Racers PSP did running from a UMD.

Really?
I thought loading times would be minimal like on the DS, or at least manageable like running games from a memory stick on PSP.

I hate loading times on portable games....

Gravijah

IrishNinja said:
what is all this wipeout talk

luigi's mansion 2 = KILLER APP
to irishninja

ya'll heard it here first

i heard from a little birdy Skies of Arcadia was getting sniped in the 2005 tech thread

-whistles-

NEO0MJ

While I do think the PSV is might impressive on paper right now and an awesome effort from Sony, I still think that many of it's games are too similar to their console counterparts.

dark10x

Cromat said:
Really?
I thought loading times would be minimal like on the DS, or at least manageable like running games from a memory stick on PSP.

I'd say they are similar to loading PSP games from a memory stick, in general, though some games do seem to take longer than you'd expect. It's still much slower than the original DS in that regard.

Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, Shin Megami, and Metal Gear Solid 3D are way better than the Vita's lineup. 3DS got dat exclusives naw mean?
You do realize that all four of those games are enhanced ports, right?

inner-G

Banned
Cromat said:
Really?

Some 3DS games do have significant loading.

apana

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding between these two handhelds. If it's a question of first party content then Nintendo wins easily for me, but it seems like Sony is very agressive on getting some major third party games onto their platform like Bioshock. I think Sony is willing to spend the extra money to get better support. The second issue is 3D vs. Graphics. I'm not sure where I line up on that either. Either console will have to get to $199 for me to even consider though.

Cromat

NEO0MJ said:
While I do think the PSV is might impressive on paper right now and an awesome effort from Sony, I still think that many of it's games are too similar to their console counterparts.

?
Three of the biggest 3DS games - OoT, Starfox 64 and MGS3D - are straight-up ports of console games (old ones at that).

I'm not saying that Vita isn't delivering a console-like experience, but this time the 3DS is just as much guilty of that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SuperSonic1305 said:
Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, Shin Megami, and Metal Gear Solid 3D are way better than the Vita's lineup. 3DS got dat exclusives naw mean?

And plenty of awesome bespoke handheld content like Pilotwings, Luigi's Mansion 2, Resident Evil: Revelations, Animal Crossing, DoA: Dimensions...that aren't at all derivative of console games and franchises! ;)

(Seriously though, I am actually looking forward to many of the above, but the double standard in criticising one for one style of game while turning a blind eye to the same on another is amazing sometimes)

dark10x

NEO0MJ said:
As others have noted, this time around that's exactly what Nintendo is doing too. Nearly every released on the 3DS thus far as well as most of its upcoming big games are either ports or console-like games. Nintendo is taking a PSP approach to the 3DS.

btkadams

NEO0MJ said:
this is absolute bs. has no one been even looking at the 3ds? if vita is at all guilty of having games too similar to their console counterparts, the 3ds is too, if not more. the biggest games for the system this year are literally console ports (Star Fox, OoT, MGS3D) whereas the vita has had absolutely no console ports announced for it (unless we are talking multiplatform releases that coincide with ps3 in the future).

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
PSVita is way better.
For 3ds the only interessing things are classic nintendo games (supermario, zelda...). The rest is shit.
Bad job nintendo!

btkadams said:
this is absolute bs. has no one been even looking at the 3ds? if vita is at all guilty of having games too similar to their console counterparts, the 3ds is too, if not more. the biggest games for the system this year are literally console ports (Star Fox, OoT, MGS3D, KH3D) whereas the vita has had absolutely no console ports announced for it (unless we are talking multiplatform releases that coincide with ps3 in the future).

KH3D is a completely new game

tzare

3ds is as gimped as PSP for home console games. that was a huge disappointment for me. Vita has everything to make games play like (or even better) than PS360 versions. In fact i am sure next PS4 controller will feature back touch panel at least.
I can't wait to play fifa 12 or motorstorm on Vita, plus all those PSN /XBLA games that i am sure will shineeven more when i see them in that gorgeous oled display

StuBurns

Banned
tzare said:
3ds is as gimped as PSP for home console games. that was a huge disappointment for me. Vita has everything to make games play like (or even better) than PS360 versions. In fact i am sure next PS4 controller will feature back touch panel at least.
I can't wait to play fifa 12 or motorstorm on Vita, plus all those PSN /XBLA games that i am sure will shineeven more when i see them in that gorgeous oled display
A poster had a good idea yesterday. The PS4 shipping with a 'shell' version of the PSV as the controller, no client side rendering hardware, all streamed, but the same UI, the same physical format. So people with PSVs could use theirs instead.

NEO0MJ

Cromat said:
?
Three of the biggest 3DS games - OoT, Starfox 64 and MGS3D - are straight-up ports of console games (old ones at that).

I'm not saying that Vita isn't delivering a console-like experience, but this time the 3DS is just as much guilty of that.

And I really disprove of those games(except Starfox, but that's because I'm a whore for SF64). But don't forget that OOT and SF64 aren't available for any console. What I really meant by my comment were games like SFxTKN and Dragon's Crown, where it's the exact same game just downgraded. The 3DS is also guilty of Blazblue, a horrible, horrible downport.

NEO0MJ said:

Came in here to complain about this crap. Its not the similarity to consoles everyone has a problem with because if it were then nintendo would get dinged for the same thing. Marios and zeldas galore! The best games on the DS are spinoffs of mario. How is that not similar to their console counterparts?

In the past, the marios bros and mario kart were always easily moved to handhelds due the genre. In the past, sonys major franchises were shit on handhelds due the control schemes. The latter changes this generation. Mario and Uncharted are definitely not the same but too similar does not fly when looking at the competition.

That being said, sony's first parties need to step up and make their original IP's for the handheld. They need to offer more diverse and creative games for the console and they need to do it early.

Nintendo makes the best software on the planet. And the games are what sells the system, so I'm betting the 3DS wins this round, but it'll be a much closer race, I would assume.

Myself I'm definitely getting a 3DS. The possibility of a Vita is yet to be decided upon.

Niks

I wondered when would a thread like this will pop up.

Personally, never having owned a handheld before, Im kinda interested in the Vita.

Zaptruder

Banned
StuBurns said:
A poster had a good idea yesterday. The PS4 shipping with a 'shell' version of the PSV as the controller, no client side rendering hardware, all streamed, but the same UI, the same physical format. So people with PSVs could use theirs instead.

You realise that you just described the Wii U controller.

I have doubts that Sony would go that way (PSV linking upto PS4 as a controller)... and if they did, it would only include terribly half assed support for the feature.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To hammer home the point on content stereotyping:

Number of handheld-original franchises/games released and announced by Nintendo for 3DS? 2 (out of 12) edit - the list i'm looking at seems to omit a couple of the E3 announced games. So more like 3 out of 13 or 14, I think

Number of the same announced by Sony for Vita? 6 (out of 17)

(These are games either completely original or of franchises originating on handhelds)

Of the rest we can argue that many of Nintendo's games are still suited to what's traditionally been considered 'handheld play', but I'd argue the same for many of Sony's - hot shots, lbp, stardust, mod nation, hustle kings etc.

styl3s

Haven't touched my 3DS but maybe 3 times since it launched, i am excited for all the games coming to it and possible DQ games etc. but i have to say out of the 2 i am more excited for the Vita simply because of the dual analog sticks and hopefully HDMI out or some other video out (probably on the 2nd "lite" model) and the game franchises i love.

Overall i want the vita over my 3ds but i still enjoy my 3DS even if it has 0 games but i don't fault it or nintendo, it's just now getting out of it's "launch" phase, all launches are bad.

OniShiro

Banned
I think the answer is obvious, games aside, the 3DS is marginally more powerful/innovative than the DS ( who cares about the 3D screen? the novelty wears off in 15 minutes ), while the Vita is a true generational leap from the PSP ( online capabilities, touchpads, dual analogs, gyroscope, etc).

FoneBone

TheExecutive said:
In the past, sonys major franchises were shit on handhelds due the control schemes.
I really, really don't buy the line that the lack of dual analogs was the primary factor keeping console spinoffs from doing much better on PSP. I think it's fanboy revisionist history.

Cromat

Right now I still think 3DS has a higher chance of succeeding because:

- The 3DS is first to the market and is coming off the hugely successful DS
- Nintendo has a lot more flexibility about the pricing (see: Kaz Hirai saying that PSV would be sold at a loss for the next 3 years)
- 3DS has guaranteed sellers like Mario, Mario Kart and above all Pokemon

That said, Sony has done everything in its power to be a strong challenger to Nintendo this time around. Hell, I was predicting they wouldn't even bother making a PSP2 and now they've made one that is very feature-packed and competitively priced.
The Vita would only be able to defeat the 3DS if it had a killer app, console ports would not be enough. Monster Hunter is a very big part of this equation, but that's only for Japan. Sony is battling an uphill battle but they're off to a good start.

Honestly though, both systems combined probably wouldn't reach DS numbers. The market has changed too much for that.

Hex

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
KH3D is a completely new game

For all purposes KH3D does not exist right now, nor do many of the titles thrown about in that lovely list that caused myself and many others to run out at midnight and buy a 3DS day one.

3DS has been a hell of a disappointment so far in some ways, though in other ways it is still fun.
I have enjoyed Street Fighter 4 on it, but to be realistic that is only because I am biding time waiting for Super Street Fighter 4 AE on PS3.
I enjoyed Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, but again to be realistic it was only because I am a Pirates fan and because I wanted a game my GF could play in 3D to try and make it worth the fact that we bought two systems.
I love the AR games, we have gone through both rounds of the tower and got all of our Mii hats and finished the Super Mario Galaxy puzzle and the Pikmin Puzzle.
I am loving the 3D Pokedex.
I spend more time playing DS games on it honestly.

But the bottom line is , that is complete shit for $250.

Definitely not going to run out and sell it though, I am sure things will come along but I can say with 100% certainty that I fully regret being an early adopter.

I have one of each version of Vita preordered, and I am hoping Sony learns from the 3DS slow start.
What makes me a bit less gun shy in getting it day one is the fact that at least it will make PSP games look better (I believe this is still true right?), and I will be able to load video on it.
Seeing Ono up on stage with it made me feel good and I will feel much better when Kojima, Capcom, and Atlus announce some games as well as Square.

Seeing the great games that have been rolling to the PSP lately also make me lean toward Vita.

cj_iwakura

I do think SCEA have the right idea in coming out guns blazing with a solid Western PSV lineup, but it really was Japan's stellar software line-up that saved the PSP proper.

Of course, it wasn't financially viable(in the US, anyway), so there you go.

Top Bottom