• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

verbatimo said:
Animal Crossing
Luigi's mansion 2
Mario Kart
Star Fox 64
Super Mario

Same old names from Nintendo which are good, but where are the decent third party games.
They seem to be pretty lackluster.

If this is Nintendo's beam of light then it doesn't bode well. If 3DS doesn't get good 3rd party support, I don't predict a long life cycle. For example, Vita demonstration games were much assertive. Only a Capcom and a couple more seems to put effort to their 3DS games.

Off the top of my head.

MGS3
Resident Evil:Mercs
Resident Evil:Revelations (mind you, there are no announced RE games for Vita)
Shinobi
Heroes of Ruin
Shin Megami
Bit.Trip Saga
Cave Story
Plus, the usual EA sports

This is all year 1, mind you. Year 1 DS and PSP were depressing.

Long-term, both systems have nothing big announced.

Amir0x said:
The thing is the 3DS hasn't had a lukewarm reception among the press.

In fact, for the 3DS, most people predicted its immediate success and prompt destruction of NGP. So if things turned out that way, it would be exactly what people expected. Which is the opposite of what happened with the NDS.

People are surprised at the Vita's price and how Sony seems to be getting it in under at the right value, but I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

I don't believe Vita will be a big success.

I... I agree with you 100%.

I feel dirty saying that.

Jokes aside, I don't think either system will come close to the DS success, as someone else mentioned.

The_Technomancer said:
The PSPs problem was always software. Even before piracy utterly crippled it, the line-ups were pretty disparate between the two platforms, in terms of what the wide handheld audience cared about (not necessarily just core gamers)
Because most of my "core gamer" friends did buy a PSP at launch, and most of them used it as a media player like 80% of the time. And most of them ended up buying DSs as well.

Of course it was. the PSP did well at certain games that the hardcore audience likes (Grand Theft auto, god of war, ridge racer, etc) but absolutely missed the boat on the explosion of touch enabled casual games that made the DS.

Games like Brain Training, nintendogs, etc don't really work well with the PSP's interface but sold like crazy on DS. When the Iphone hit and touch based apps became expected on a handheld the PSP was left looking like last gen hardware. Sony overlooking the importance of touch based interface on the PSP limited what could be done on the software end.

kinggroin

Banned
The 3ds has by far the better lineup at the moment. Of course that means nothing, since the vita won't be released till the end of the year or early next year. When BOTH platforms exist at the same time, we'll see how the lineups compare against each other.

Personally, I'm incredibly excited to get my hands on a vita, and it looks like Sony is firing on all cylinders, so I have more confidence that whatever issues I had with the PSP, will be rectified. For those saying its just like that platform all over again, are being very premature.

As for my 3ds, I'm concerned about 3rd party developers not taking this handheld as seriously as the DS was (I'm speaking mainly about Japanese developers here). However, if Nintendo brings the goods at least, I can suppliment my handheld gaming diet with the Vita. I think any self respecting gamer that has the means, should do so.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Manmademan said:
Of course it was. the PSP did well at certain games that the hardcore audience likes (Grand Theft auto, god of war, ridge racer, etc) but absolutely missed the boat on the explosion of touch enabled casual games that made the DS.

Games like Brain Training, nintendogs, etc don't really work well with the PSP's interface but sold like crazy on DS. When the Iphone hit and touch based apps became expected on a handheld the PSP was left looking like last gen hardware.
Agreed, which is why I think neither platform is going to be as explosive as the DS was because I don't see how either one can tap untapped areas they way the DS did. Given that, I give the 3DS an edge because of Nintendo software, but I don't think it will be nearly as much of a domination.

Riposte said:
You seem to be in auto-defense mode, because I made it clear that these titles might sell way more.

NSMB (DS) was a shitty Mario game with terrible level design. Extremely disappointing considering it was suppose to be his big return to 2D. I do not think I am going against some consensus here.
no, i'm in auto 'i fucking hate it when people who don't like a popular game call it overrated rather than just saying they don't like it' mode.

overrated suggests that people that like it are wrong, and it's something that always rubs me the wrong way. it sounds like its suggesting that other people either can't judge things as well as you, or that they're exagerrating how much they like it, or that their opinions aren't right.

i don't find the suggestion that you don't like NSMB DS offensive, or surprising. i find the suggestion that the people who praise it are somehow wrong offensive.

you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it's a pet hate of mine. you're welcome to have an opinion about my opinion, but i think second guessing my opinion is dickish, and its something i'd never do to anyone else's opinion.

trust me, search the site for 'plagiarize overrated' and you'll see that i go off like this every few months. it's nothing personal.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Vita definitely has a much more powerful launch lineup...but by the time its out, the 3DS will probably have the better library (I would hope).

I don't think Vita sales will explode (in Japan) until it gets Monster Hunter. I'm not sure what title would qualify as a system seller on a worldwide level.

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
you were responding to someone telling you that the trailers were much more impressive on the 3DS than they were during the conference. i thought you were asking him how that was... and i did my best to explain why they looked better on the 3DS than they did during the conference.

i'm sure, whether you've seen a trailer in 3D on or off the device, that you've seen 3DS games in 3D, and seen overly blown up trailers and screenshots of those same games. so i was just saying it isn't any more different than that really.
He just said I need to see the latest trailers in 3D, I thought he meant the 3D was much better than in the preexisting games. I haven't seen any 3D trailers on a computer or anything.

thuway

Father_Brain said:
Well, 3DS does have KH3D, plus all the Level-5 titles.
What makes you think the Kingdom Hearts 3D game can't be ported in 2D to the PSVita?
I garuntee you Sony is talking to ALL third parties to ensure any 3D game exclusive on the 3DS makes its way in 2D on the Vita

Riposte said:
You seem to be in auto-defense mode, because I made it clear that these titles might sell way more.

NSMB (DS) was a shitty Mario game with terrible level design. Extremely disappointing considering it was suppose to be his big return to 2D. I do not think I am going against some consensus here. EDIT: Lame power-ups too. Rare power-ups too.
You are certainly going against the generally favoured reviews it received and the fantastic sales that it continues to garner.

Also the game was a big return in 2D as far back as the original SMB. A real back to the basics, so yes, it may be disappointing in some ways, but I find a lot of the complaints levelled against it to be invalid considering what the game was trying to achieve. *shrug*

thuway said:
What makes you think the Kingdom Hearts 3D game can't be ported in 2D to the PSVita?

I garuntee you Sony is talking to ALL third parties to ensure any 3D game exclusive on the 3DS makes its way in 2D on the Vita.
Do you work for Sony?

I realize I am in the minority here, but I liked the PSP better than the DS, and from what I have seen so far, There is no reason to think I wont like Sony's handheld better this time around also. Difference is the price is the same for both.......for now

Gravijah

plagiarize said:
no, i'm in auto 'i fucking hate it when people who don't like a popular game call it overrated rather than just saying they don't like it' mode.

overrated suggests that people that like it are wrong, and it's something that always rubs me the wrong way. it sounds like its suggesting that other people either can't judge things as well as you, or that they're exagerrating how much they like it, or that their opinions aren't right.

i don't find the suggestion that you don't like NSMB DS offensive, or surprising. i find the suggestion that the people who praise it are somehow wrong offensive.

you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it's a pet hate of mine. you're welcome to have an opinion about my opinion, but i think second guessing my opinion is dickish, and its something i'd never do to anyone elses opinion.

trust me, search the site for 'plagiarize overrated' and you'll see that i go off like this every few months. it's nothing personal.

Thank you. Another thing I hate is when people call games they dislike horrible. Why can't people just dislike something instead of it being horrible?

TheExodu5

Banned
The 3D trailer for Paper Mario was super cool. There's definitely much more impact when seeing it in 3D.

plagiarize said:

Whatever. I agree with him. Play NSMB Wii after playing NSMB DS, and you'll realize just how shitty the DS game really is. It's like Yoshi's Island DS vs Yoshi's Island all over again. NSMB DS and Yoshi's Island may have good base mechanics, but the level design is atrociously boring.

Cwarrior

verbatimo said:
Animal Crossing
Luigi's mansion 2
Mario Kart
Star Fox 64
Super Mario

Same old names from Nintendo which are good, but where are the decent third party games.
They seem to be pretty lackluster.

If this is Nintendo's beam of light then it doesn't bode well. If 3DS doesn't get good 3rd party support, I don't predict a long life cycle. For example, Vita demonstration games were much assertive. Only a Capcom and a couple more seems to put effort to their 3DS games.

dead or alive (just came out)
Resident evil revalations
megaman legends 3
kindom heats dream drop distance
residental evil merc
Beyond the Labrynth
Fantasy Life
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Time Travelers
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

I think 3rd party line up is actualy lot better then psvita so far(at this momment in time)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
plagiarize said:
again, both sides of this argument are making stupid points and being inconsistant.

doesn't Mario Kart feature more than just 'gliding'? doesn't it have new tracks? doesn't it have more new mechanics than just gliding?

i think arguing that one is 'more new' than the other is bonkers. both are new entries in established franchises. both do about as much as you'd expect them to do.

but if you're downplaying the new stuff one game brings to the table (as both of you are) while bigging up the new stuff the other has... you're not being consistant.
Im not arguing against Mario Kart at all; all the new tracks and such will be fun and itll be another good entry in the franchise. The argument was how glide mechanics are an original experience compared to another Uncharted offering, and I disagreed on downplaying Uncharted in that way.

Both Mario Kart and Uncharted fit the very definition of portable console games. I'm not sure why people continue the idea of a portable console experience as a bad thing.

I'm predicting the price advantage will be gone (at least in North America and Europe) by the time PSV releases as the 3DS will drop to $200.

Gravijah

chubigans said:
Both Mario Kart and Uncharted fit the very definition of portable console games. I'm not sure why people continue the idea of a portable console experience as a bad thing.

I don't know why either, since portables gaming has had its share of "portable console games" since the very beginning. Tetris, anyone?

The_Technomancer said:
Agreed, which is why I think neither platform is going to be as explosive as the DS was because I don't see how either one can tap untapped areas they way the DS did. Given that, I give the 3DS an edge because of Nintendo software, but I don't think it will be nearly as much of a domination.

no- at this point the handheld space has too much competition for anyone to dominate the way the DS did.

your average smartphone is going to be well equipped to handle casual games in a year or so @ 99 dollars. Those who would usually buy a DS just to play sudoku (and I see them everywhere) are probably going to gravitate there.

That being the case, the 3DS and PSV are both going to have to work really hard at convincing customers to carry them around in place of their smartphones (or at least in addition to) and i think PSV does a little better job of competing with Android/Iphone than the 3DS does at this time. (keep in mind that 3D smartphones will be out in about a week and a half).

StuBurns said:
He just said I need to see the latest trailers in 3D, I thought he meant the 3D was much better than in the preexisting games. I haven't seen any 3D trailers on a computer or anything.
there's nothing technically different about the way the new games use 3D, but they are perhaps better suited to 3D than some of the stuff you may have seen. Luigi's mansion with the transparent ghosts floating about in a dollhouse, and Mario and Mario Kart all lend themselves very well to 3D in ways that most of the launch games didn't really manage. but it's not anything magical or likely to blow your mind.

it's just the same as how some 3D games on PS3 don't really offer much compared to others that seem like a whole new experience in 3D. some stuff lends itself better is all.

street fighter 4 and pilotwings didn't really benefit from 3D as much.

TheExodu5 said:
Whatever. I agree with him. Play NSMB Wii after playing NSMB DS, and you'll realize just how shitty the DS game. It's like Yoshi's Island DS vs Yoshi's Island all over again.
I honestly disagree. When I played the first on DS, I played through to completion and had a blast. With NSMB Wii I couldn't get past World 3 for some reason. It just didn't grab me.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm a gamer. So, I'd like to own both for the games, but in reality, one handheld is more than enough for me. I, like most Americans, drive to most places / rarely use public transit. Meaning, there's little of the typical "downtime" where handheld gaming makes sense.

Thus, I went with the 3DS because, well, the DS was/is awesome and I'm positive Nintendo will deliver again. And because I like Nintendo games. :)

StuBurns said:
How so? You think it was just first gen issues with how 3D was used till now? Certainly could be, I've not seen the new stuff.

The trailers really do look great on the 3DS. That's it really. I don't know if that means the 3D is getting better though

arbok26 said:
i mean.... not going HD hurt the Wii's life span i think in the end

:lol what? The Wii definitely had a normal console lifespan and it sold more than Nintendo's previous 2 consoles combined.

How the hell did not going HD hurt the Wii again?

FoneBone

Nintendo isn't going to repeat the success of the DS without a new series/subseries that's somehow the equivalent of Nintendogs, Brain Age, or New Super Mario Bros.

Sony's not going to do much better than the PSP if their current software strategy is anything to go by.

onQ123

F#A#Oo said:
I personally didn't find their presentation to be all that interesting with regards to touchscreen...

Firstly because these games are console games to begin with...and what I'm after is purely experiences which are designed for handheld through and through...with my PSP I never went near a console port...or a game that already exists on console. I don't buy handhelds to play console games.

Secondly I just don't see the value in having to pass my finger across the screen or tilting it in order to navigate across a gaps and ledges if I'm playing Uncharted Vita...it clearly a gimmick and definately not a design philosophy.

I want to see games with full touchscreen support for playing the entire game rather than just sections here and there.

PS Vita - Sound Shapes

PS Vita - Smart As

PS Vita - Little Deviants

thuway said:
I garuntee you Sony is talking to ALL third parties to ensure any 3D game exclusive on the 3DS makes its way in 2D on the Vita

We can only compare software lineups based on what's actually been announced, you know. If you want to use your imagination, I suppose you can put RE: Revelations Superior Edition, FFVII Rebirth, and MHP 4 in Sony's column.

TheExodu5 said:
The 3D trailer for Paper Mario was super cool. There's definitely much more impact when seeing it in 3D.

Whatever. I agree with him. Play NSMB Wii after playing NSMB DS, and you'll realize just how shitty the DS game really is. It's like Yoshi's Island DS vs Yoshi's Island all over again. NSMB DS and Yoshi's Island may have good base mechanics, but the level design is atrociously boring.
so you both don't like it. my issue is purely with the use of the word 'overrated' because it suggests that other people don't know what they're talking about.

LosDaddie said:
How the hell did not going HD hurt the Wii again?

If the Wii had been capable of running the same games as the PS3 and 360, I don't think we'd be seeing the Wii-U this early. Had the Wii been able to keep up its sales momentum it would have passed the PS2. Now there's really no chance of that happening.

nintendo going next gen first has everything to do with the lack of third party support and sharp dropoff in sales for the wii. had it been HD from the start I don't think either of these would be true right now.

TheExodu5

Banned
plagiarize said:
so you both don't like it. my issue is purely with the use of the word 'overrated' because it suggests that other people don't know what they're talking about.

I guess I can see that.

kinggroin

Banned
I dont get how folks can Vita has the better lineup, at all. Are you guys privy to some kind of early-ownership program I'm unaware of? Until the thing is actually out, there isn't a library to speak of. 3Ds wins by default, and this conversation about "NOW" is absolutely ridiculous.

What matters is this holiday or early next year. Will the Vita have a software lineup thats much more attractive than what the 3ds has built up to that point? No way to tell yet.

I think potential is a better discussion point personally; and one area I feel the Vita dOES have the leg up on Nintendo's platform.

Nintendo has brought their fanbase's expectations down so low that there is no way they're gonna "lose." Will they deserve to "win?" That is really up to Sony. Everybody knows what Nintendo is doing and going to do with the 3DS. So, the bar is made to be tripped on or leaped over.

In other words - Pokemon.

ryan-ts

thuway said:

How will Vita owners react when these ports don't look half as good games like Uncharted though? Does Sony really want games on their system that don't take advantage of the hardware but are still full price?

Riposte

Gravijah said:
I don't know why either, since portables gaming has had its share of "portable console games" since the very beginning. Tetris, anyone?

It bullshit rhetoric which was born when it was DS vs PSP because some people couldn't figure out why the DS was winning. Now it is back and stronger because the Vita has even stronger graphics. Now the 3DS is being thrown into it because Apple is coming to take over the videogame industry with their extremely cheap, forgettable games("non-console experiences") and how are you going to explain THAT?

Manmademan said:
If the Wii had been capable of running the same games as the PS3 and 360, I don't think we'd be seeing the Wii-U this early.

nintendo going next gen first has everything to do with the lack of third party support and sharp dropoff in sales for the wii. had it been HD from the start I don't think either of these would be true right now.

The recent price drop will give them a boost in sales for May.

I think Nintendo made the right decision. As Wii sales gradually go down until next year, the Wii U will step in to pick up where it left off. The same will be true of the 3DS until Christmas hits and then a price drop in 2012.

The initial impact and feature set of the PSV is diverting a lot of obvious points - like library, userbase and a potential price drop for 3DS in the future. Any blind assumption that PSV is truly going to make a dent in the market is a bit premature.

TheExodu5

Banned
ryan-ts said:
How will Vita owners react when these ports don't look half as good games like Uncharted though? Does Sony really want games on their system that don't take advantage of the hardware but are still full price?

Sony NEEDS to allow these games on their systems. Let the developers/publishers worry about that kind of issue. The problem with the PS3 was that the library could not compete with the DS. They would make some seriously boneheaded decisions by not allowing games like Suikoden 1/2 on the system (outside of Japan). They really need to lower their standards and allow many more titles onto the system.

btkadams

Vyse The Legend said:
Off the top of my head.

MGS3
Resident Evil:Mercs
Resident Evil:Revelations (mind you, there are no announced RE games for Vita)
Shinobi
Heroes of Ruin
Shin Megami
Bit.Trip Saga
Cave Story
Plus, the usual EA sports

This is all year 1, mind you. Year 1 DS and PSP were depressing.
Long-term, both systems have nothing big announced.

I... I agree with you 100%.

I feel dirty saying that.

Jokes aside, I don't think either system will come close to the DS success, as someone else mentioned.
the ds sure was, but the psp's first 2 years were arguably it's best (unless we're talking jrpg which obviously makes the last 2 years the best).

PSVita

I think the lineups for both platforms are pretty anemic, but the main problem for Vita is where it will stand once PS4 development ramps up.

Already we see that (other than Wipeout and HSG) the heavy hitters like Uncharted, LBP, Resistance and Killzone are being relegated to B-tier teams that didn't develop the series originally. Whereas I get the sense that Nintendo is more egalitarian with regard to its A-tier development teams working between handhelds and consoles.

I worry that after the Vita glow has faded and the games become the center of attention rather than the hardware, we'll all be scratching our heads. Did anyone really yearn for a portable Resistance or Killzone game? Sony Bend are super talented - despite how jaw-dropping Uncharted looks, wouldn't you rather have them working on an original Vita IP?

And when PS4 steals all the attention and resources, will third parties be there to fill the gaps with new experiences, or will they follow Sony's lead and use Vita as a dumping ground for unoriginal, not so exciting spin-offs?

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I'm just not excited about the Bioshock spinoff for Vita at all, nor will I be excited about the inevitable Mass Effect, CoD, MGS, and Silent Hill spin-offs. Part of me is looking forward to Wipeout and HSG just because I know they're in the hands of the people in charge of their respective series, the people who intimately understand the "spark" that makes those games work.

Hopefully that magic $249 price point will give developers the confidence to make Vita a home for their original IPs.

3DS

As for Nintendo, they face an entirely different problem. It's not that 3DS is treated like a second-class citizen by its own daddy, but rather that Nintendo's philosophy of "recycling" its mascots grows increasingly stale the older you get. There will always be a new generation of kids for whom the next Mario Kart, Mario platformer, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda, etc. will be their first entry in the series. Because of this, Nintendo will never stop making these games. It's like Disney - every generation, you'll have people who haven't been exposed to the character, so you can't abandon Mickey Mouse just because he seems milked to death to the previous generation.

But this younger generation is effectively locked out of the 3DS because of its prohibitive price. Is it really fair that I could buy into the Mario universe for $130 when I bought my DS in 2004, but that my younger cousins have to spend $250 to be introduced to that universe? So the "recycling for the next generation of gamers" strategy won't work the same, as we've seen with Nintendogs' disappointing performance. It's truly odd that Nintendo is using barely enhanced N64 ports as a way to fill in software droughts when the only audience receptive to 3DS right now (hardcore gamers) have already been exposed to the original titles. A Link to the Past remake or a cel-shaded Yoshi's Island would demand much more attention since a much smaller segment of the population have played them.

For me personally, I became a gamer in the Gamecube generation, so that generation represented my "fresh" experiences with games like F-Zero, Metroid, Paper Mario, and Smash Bros. So when the Wii came along, new iterations became less exciting. And when the 3DS came along, they became downright dull. So it's an individual matter. If you started gaming when Wii came out, a new Smash Bros. might seem like a megaton, but I just shrug my shoulders indifferently.

Oppo

Manmademan said:
That being the case, the 3DS and PSV are both going to have to work really hard at convincing customers to carry them around in place of their smartphones (or at least in addition to) and i think PSV does a little better job of competing with Android/Iphone than the 3DS does at this time. (keep in mind that 3D smartphones will be out in about a week and a half).

I wanted to add one thing, 'cause this is a very good point about carrying one vs multiple devices. It's funny, almost like gamers with inverted/non-inverted sticks, most everyone with a smartphone has a philosophy, which is either they want the purity of one device only, or are ok with carrying two or three (and usually do so).

My own take is, the gaming handhelds - the dedicated ones like 3DS and PSV - will always have one major advantage for me, which is the simple fact that they are their own device with their own battery. I think it's stupendous that I can play interesting (if sparse) diversionary games on my iPhone, but I actually cannot afford to burn battery on that thing for any real length of time. It's my phone. It's actually too important to use that way, I sort of need it operational for, you know, calls.

Leona Lewis said:
I worry that after the Vita glow has faded and the games become the center of attention rather than the hardware, we'll all be scratching our heads. Did anyone really yearn for a portable Resistance or Killzone game? Sony Bend are super talented - despite how jaw-dropping Uncharted looks, wouldn't you rather have them working on an original Vita IP?
I would rather Nintendo did that as well, but I understand why they don't. Besides the Drake game actually looks like a really decent spinoff - I don't think you'll find too much negative reaction to that and Wipeout, at least on GAF people seem to genuinely be excited. I am.

ryan-ts

TheExodu5 said:
Sony NEEDS to allow these games on their systems. Let the developers/publishers worry about that kind of issue.

Errr, the developers and publishers are going to have to put money into simply porting the title. We don't really know exactly how easily that porting will be either. I'm guessing they might give the graphics a slight boost but nothing that would sway a person one way or another. If Sony lets these games come the majority of them will be lazy ports, don't kid yourself.

LosDaddie

Banned
Manmademan said:
If the Wii had been capable of running the same games as the PS3 and 360, I don't think we'd be seeing the Wii-U this early.

Yeah, we might've seen the Wii U even earlier. Nintendo went up against Sony & MS for the "hardcore" market last gen and lost. They needed to adjust their strategy with the Wii. Such was clearly evident.

And you're ignoring the fact that if the Wii was HD, it would've been more expensive for both consumers and devs. Again, the Wii had/will have had a normal console lifespan by the time the Wii U launches.

Not being HD did not hurt the Wii, and the Wii U is not launching early when compared to history.

Riposte

Leona Lewis said:
For me personally, I became a gamer in the Gamecube generation, so that generation represented my "fresh" experiences with games like F-Zero, Metroid, Paper Mario, and Smash Bros. So when the Wii came along, new iterations became less exciting. And when the 3DS came along, they became downright dull. So it's an individual matter. If you started gaming when Wii came out, a new Smash Bros. might seem like a megaton, but I just shrug my shoulders indifferently.

A Smash Bros which is more like Melee than Brawl can be quite the megaton...

I think the PSN can be the key to Sony's success. Nintendo apparently has no problems being locked into two generations ago with online and in the west people love to download budget titles to their phone.

ryan-ts said:

have you seen Shinobido 2?

without getting into the purpose of this thread, I'll just say that standard portable game pricing is awful. $40 is high for Vita games and way too high for 3DS games. I'm hoping the Vita will get a great push in $10-15 games on PSN because it seems to have an online focus. But assuming games like that billiards one is full price at $40...what? no!

TheExodu5

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Errr, the developers and publishers are going to have to put money into simply porting the title. We don't really know exactly how easily that porting will be either. I'm guessing they might give the graphics a slight boost but nothing that would sway a person one way or another. If Sony lets these games come the majority of them will be lazy ports, don't kid yourself.

Lazy ports are fine. Sony should let publishers worry about maximizing sales. Whether that means more low quality ports, or more high quality original works, is going to be up to the publishers.

Oppo

Linkzg said:
without getting into the purpose of this thread, I'll just say that standard portable game pricing is awful. $40 is high for Vita games and way too high for 3DS games. I'm hoping the Vita will get a great push in $10-15 games on PSN because it seems to have an online focus. But assuming games like that billiards one is full price at $40...what? no!

On the Vita side, that's what the Playstation Suite is for. They get the $1-10 Android games, Cut the Rope, Flight Control etc from that end which will run on the Vita just fine; network downloadable titles that might land in the $15-$25 range, and then retail co-released cart and download titles up to $40.

The games won't all be $40, that's literally the reason behind the PS Suite effort, to not lose out on the low cost super-casual touchscreen stuff.

I'm less clear on Nintendo's strategy for this but obviously they have the eShop and have spoken publicly about improving their network offerings.

Vinci

Danish
I haven't seen very much for the 3DS that impressed me, and certainly not enough to buy the thing. The fact that it largely offers you a feature that I have absolutely no interest in doesn't do it any favors either.

Vita... Some of the new IPs are interesting, and I like the large number of control options. [It's really what I thought Nintendo would do, but alas.]

So far, Vita is winning for my personal dollars, but I've little doubt that the 3DS will win in the end sales-wise. And obviously, neither will do anything close to the DS. Neither is that innovative.

EDIT: What's sort of odd is that I went into this new generation thinking that I'd stick with PC and a handheld and skip consoles. And now I'm not sold on either handheld and the Wii U has impressed the hell out of me - I really feel that screen is going places and they're places I want to go.

Odd.

kinggroin

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Yeah, we might've seen the Wii U even earlier. Nintendo went up against Sony & MS for the "hardcore" market last gen and lost. They needed to adjust their strategy with the Wii. Such was clearly evident.

And you're ignoring the fact that if the Wii was HD, it would've been more expensive for both consumers and devs. Again, the Wii had/will have had a normal console lifespan by the time the Wii U launches.

Not being HD did not hurt the Wii, and the Wii U is not launching early when compared to history.

That's a poor argument. Being just as capable as the 360/ps3 while all other things remained the same simply means more games. Having HD capabilities isn't stopping anyone to adhering to a realistic budget. Looking at the Wii-U, the wii-___ type games looked essentially like HD wii games. Same assets and all.

Laguna

Banned
Since Sony is even more focusing on a multiplattform strategy than with PSP and Vita mostly gets downgraded consoleports and Vita exclusive highlights most likely will be ported to PS3 either way in future like recently both PSP God of Wars and MGSPW it´s really difficult to convince me over with downgraded versions and when the so called exclusives most likely will be available on PS3. There is an obvious lack in the exclusive content department especially from 3rd parties and I´m certain that I won´t double dip and pay 40-50$ extra for a downgraded version just to play it on PS3 and on Vita since the original console version is the way to go for me especially for presentation/cinematic centric games.

TheExodu5

Banned
The PS Vita only needs to be more expensive to develop for if Sony puts standards for that kind of thing in place. My argument stands: they should not.

I mean, is anyone really going to be angry if they release a game that looks like Disgaea on the PS Vita? Or a port of Cave Story? Etc...

LosDaddie

Banned
kinggroin said:
That's a poor argument. Being just as capable as the 360/ps3 while all other things remained the same simply means more games.

No, it also means the console and games will be more expensive too. Price is a major factor when it comes to luxury purchases like consoles/handhelds. Quite the opposite of a poor argument. :lol

Plus, you're forgetting those PS360 games would have to work on the Wiimote + nunchuck if they were on Wii. Again, Nintendo rightly adjusted their strategy with Wii and it turned out OK.

Top Bottom