• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

StuBurns

Banned
The 3D is kind of underwhelming I think, I don't own a 3DS so I can't post a pic like dark10x has, but I'm not sure why it's not so impressive to me, maybe the resolution, maybe the screen size. It's no where near as impacting as on a TV, let alone a cinema.

EDIT: That's not to imply it's still not better than 2D, it certainly is, and when I get a 3DS I'll be playing in 3D no question.

alterno69

Banned
For me the 3ds is just a DS in 3d, the Vita looks more apealing thanks to the inout devices and graphical power, also being a PS3 owner i will take advanyage of the conectivity for sure. I expect most PSN games to release for both platforms and allow cloud saving which will be awesome just like WipeOut will. I bought a PSP and sold it shortly afterwards mainly because i did want a portable console experience but the "ports" were too downgraded like sports games without narrators and cpnsiderably worse graphics, i'm a graphics whore so sue me.

I can't wait to take my FIFA season on the go, if they allow crossplatform play in sports titles it's going to be massive.

Somnid

StuBurns said:
The 3D is kind of underwhelming I think, I don't own a 3DS so I can't post a pic like dark10x has, but I'm not sure why it's not so impressive to me, maybe the resolution, maybe the screen size. It's no where near as impacting as on a TV, let alone a cinema.

It's people like you that really need to see the latest trailers in 3D. It really makes a difference.

Riposte

flyinpiranha said:
The fact that you say 3D is a gimmick and go on to point out that the touch screen on the back is "more flexible" pretty much shows your complete bias.

Dude, really? The touch pad is another set of controls. The very least it is easily one or two "buttons". In some situations it functions as a second layer of multi-touch(something completely unique).

3D is a visual effect. A gimmicky visual effect, as it is commonly called.

Not the same.

If you had a 3DS and watched some of the E3 trailers, you'd realize it's not a gimmick, watching the Super Mario video was amazing, jumping up and on to ropes and such and you could actually gauge where your character was by the depth.

Judging depth is very possible without it. I think you gravely overestimate it.

In fact Nintendo simply has no interest in releasing a game where 3D is somehow important because then it might cut off some of the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if they prevent other developers from doing so with some sort of certification process. TBH, no method of making 3D more than a visual effect comes to mind.

The Vita CAN'T handle all the unique functions. It has only 1 screen.

Which is a good thing since human beings only have one pair of eyes.

(Developers realize and most games primarily have the action take place on one screen at a time. So not a big loss.)

EDIT: The 3DS has been on the market for quite a bit of time now. It is not something you can only see in person at e3. A lot of people have seen it. Christ your arguments blow.

Vita for me.

The 2 analog sticks and touchpads look to offer more unique control schemes (like Super Stardust using both the front and back touch pads to "crush" the panets). It has a great launch lineup, more features for your buck and has some great third parties on board.

I'll get a 3DS after the revision, I don't ant to deal with the battery and hardware problems

onQ123

F#A#Oo said:
Both are concole centric...and yes I saw it...and no it's not what I would put as showing off the Vita...

You said

What they should have done is shown us a tech demo of what they plan on having people use the Vita for as a design philosophy type thing (show us ways on how to use the touchscreen in interesting ways)

and both of them games showed how you can use the touch screen in interesting ways when designing levels.

what the hell being concole centric ( I think you meant console centric) has to do with it showing off Vita touchscreen? you can't do that on the PS3

Drek

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think at this juncture neither handheld will be as successful as the DS.
Within the current market (Android and iOS phones, tablets, etc.) that seems like a given. But both could do very strong numbers. The GBA did quite well for itself as nothing more than a traditional games system. No unique interface, no media convergence, etc.. That market of dedicated portable gamers, grown by both DS and PSP, is where these two handhelds will make their living.

And if that is true it doesn't bode as well for Nintendo, who made much of their biggest gains with the DS in the casual market. Sony meanwhile got its foothold with the PSP almost entirely in your core "gamer" market, and should be poised to grow it if they don't somehow shit the bed.

hamchan said:
This is such a dumb line.

But, honestly, kinda true.

During the press conference, I thought Mario Kart looked abysmal. However, when the 3D trailer came onlineon the eShop, I was floored.

It really does make a huge difference.

I will get a Vita, I will not get a 3DS.

3Ds looks pretty neat, but I am not into the traditional portable experience.

I wants my portable PS3.

I'm buying a PSVita at launch 100%, as for the 3DS.....I really wish it had a second joystick, so I'll probably end up holding off on it for a while.

Unless I of course see that games are amazing down the road (I never owned a DS).

Jimrpg

I find it interesting that for Sony they have gone 2D for portable and 3D for big screen gaming while for Nintendo they have gone 3D for portable and 2D for big screen gaming.

For sony it makes sense because they want to sell their big screen TVs... im not so sure Nintendo made the right move anymore even if u dont need glasses... i think they only went 3D for portable just to differentiate themselves from Sony... not always the best move, i mean.... not going HD hurt the Wii's life span i think in the end... u can still write simplistic games HD wise....with simpler geometry...

Minsc

Gold Member
nelsonroyale said:
I will get a Vita, I will not get a 3DS.

3Ds looks pretty neat, but I am not into the traditional portable experience.

I wants my portable PS3.

In this sense, I do find the Vita's ability to play online with console owners more appealing to me than the 3D element of the 3DS.

I'm not sure how Vita handles gaming profiles, if those crossover too (would a Vita user be able to see PS3 profiles and vice-versa, or maybe they are even one in the same).

Gravijah

Minsc said:
In this sense, I do find the Vita's ability to play online with console owners more appealing to me than the 3D element of the 3DS.

I'm not sure how Vita handles gaming profiles, if those crossover too (would a Vita user be able to see PS3 profiles and vice-versa, or maybe they are even one in the same).

The PS3, PSP and Vita profiles should all be universal.

StuBurns

Banned
Somnid said:
It's people like you that really need to see the latest trailers in 3D. It really makes a difference.
How so? You think it was just first gen issues with how 3D was used till now? Certainly could be, I've not seen the new stuff.

Minsc said:

not that i expect it to happen, but there's no reason the 3DS couldn't do that functionality on a game designed for it, either with the Wii or the Wii U. it's not a technical limitation of the hardware. it has the same ability.

again though, not that i expect it to happen.

I feel I will go with Vita due to lack of compelling software for 3DS, its strong franchises seem to be missing despite being announced a year ago, where are games like castlevania?

It just seems like its totally lacking, made worse by the hardware gap.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am hedging my bets on the 3DS because of first party Nintendo software until proven or otherwise. Because they do have Pokemon, and they do have Mario Kart. Sony hasn't shown me anything that looks like it will sell systems en masse to the handheld market, in fact it seems eerily similar to the PSP. Some good looking console port/sequels, and some weird innovative stuff that looks fun, but nothing that screams "buy me"

Now Nintendo had the same problem at launch, we'll see if Sony changes for Vita.

I have a 3DS and am really looking forward to the Vita. I think they should both bring interesting, different gameplay experiences. The 3DS will really thrive with creative original titles. Like the DS and PSP the games that will really succeed are those that don't try to emulate the console experience (failing because of the solo analog stick) and come up with interesting gameplay mechanics, like Patapon and Kirby Canvas Curse. The Vita on the other hand looks to emulate the portable console experience which will be awesome in different ways.

I am worried about third party support for the 3DS, especially after this E3 conference, where the the 3rd party promo reel consisted of games we already knew about or new ones that no one really cares about. I hope when the Vita launches, it doesn't lose support completely, but Nintendo will surely provide enough great games to make the system worthwhile.

Due to time constraints, I rarely play on consoles any more. I game mostly on my PC when looking for a high def experience and play on the portables otherwise. The combination of these 2 units really has me excited and I don't think anyone can go wrong in picking up both.

nephilimdj said:
I feel I will go with Vita due to lack of compelling software for 3DS, its strong franchises seem to be missing despite being announced a year ago, where are announced games like castlevania?

It just seems like its totally lacking, made worse by the hardware gap.

No Castlevania title was ever announced for 3DS. Contra probably was cancelled, though; for all we know, it was never in active development.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
arbok26 said:
I find it interesting that for Sony they have gone 2D for portable and 3D for big screen gaming while for Nintendo they have gone 3D for portable and 2D for big screen gaming.
3D was all the rage last year, but I think it's become clear that the market at large really isn't feeling it. Movie ticket sales for 3D movies has been dropping off for some time now, for instance, and 3DTV never caught on. Sony is pushing it with PS3, but really, it's just an option available on already existed hardware.

Aside from the fact that 3D seems like a fad that won't really catch on no matter how much big studios want it to, there are always significant sacrifices to be made in order to display 3D in games. If you hit 30 fps in a 3DS game in 3D, then you could deliver 60 fps in 2D (some games do not offer this option, of course). The fact that they essentially have to put in the work to hit 60 fps and then still only end up with 30 fps is kind of a big deal.

Hopefully Mario ends up running at 60 fps as it would be a real shame for them to take a step back on that front. Even NSMB is 60 fps on the DS.

I don't really see smart phones as competing unless they get games of comparable quality....the type of games on offer are in no way comparable....I never even heard of smart phone game I have 0.1% interest in

jett

D-Member
It's all about the games, and right now the Vita is winning. 3DS just has an incredibly poor lineup. Games aside, the Vita pretty much wins in all the other departments as well. :p

Father_Brain said:
No Castlevania title was ever announced for 3DS. Contra probably was cancelled, though; for all we know, it was never in active development.

I edited it, I ment where are the core games.
RE is the major 3rd party game atm outside MGS port, but DS also got a RE port early on.

StuBurns said:
How so? You think it was just first gen issues with how 3D was used till now? Certainly could be, I've not seen the new stuff.
i think it's fair to say that (as with any portable game) seeing them on the system at the right dpi they look a lot better than they did on a TV screen or monitor.

i think it's also fair to say that since the trailers were in 3D, you weren't even seeing how good they'll likely look in 2D where framerate or AA might be enabled. so you're seeing all the downside of 3D in those trailers, without seeing the upside.

i don't think that difference is necessarily more pronounced than it was before, but those trailers do look a lot more impressive on the system itself than they did during the presentation... but not for any reasons that you wouldn't predict i don't think.

and i'm sure PSV games look more impressive on the system itself too (though obviously we're talking a smaller difference as there isn't the 2D nature).

hell, Mario Kart is meant to run at 60 fps in 3D, and the trailer doesn't. so that should look even more impressive in the final version.

I prefer vita's hardware (which at this point is pretty much a given) but im still more excited about the 3DS because of nintendos software.

I think my time playing each will be a lot more evenly spread then it was with the DS/PSP.

dark10x said:
If you hit 30 fps in a 3DS game in 3D, then you could deliver 60 fps in 2D (some games do not offer this option, of course). The fact that they essentially have to put in the work to hit 60 fps and then still only end up with 30 fps is kind of a big deal.

I was under the impression that 60fps in 2D was actually more GPU-intensive than 30fps in 3D, since only the former requires absolutely everything to be rendered and calculated 60 times per second. Am I wrong?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nelsonroyale said:
I don't really see smart phones as competing unless they get games of comparable quality....the type of games on offer are in no way comparable....I never even heard of smart phone game I have 0.1% interest in
I suspect you lack proper smart phone gaming experience. There are actually some legitimately good games available for the iPhone. Games that DO compare favorably with stuff you might find on a dedicated handheld and they are all being sold at a very low cost.

The casual audience that made the DS a smash hit are happy with the "good enough" quality present in many of those games when the price is so low. It's not just smart phones, though, but the iPad and the iPod Touch that are really performing well in this area.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with just what is possible on a modern phone. Have you tried Espgaluda 2 on iPhone, for instance? It's a fantastic 60 fps port of a 2D arcade Cave game with incredible controls. The first time I experienced that I realized that these devices are truly capable of delivering real games. Since that time there have been a lot of very creative games with fantastic graphics performance.

I was under the impression that 60fps in 2D was actually more GPU-intensive that 30fps in 3D, since only the former requires absolutely everything to be rendered and calculated 60 times per second. Am I wrong?
I'd imagine 60 fps is indeed a bit more demanding. I suppose the requirements of 3D are more in line with displaying 2-player split screen.

F#A#Oo

Banned
onQ123 said:
You said

and both of them games showed how you can use the touch screen in interesting ways when designing levels.

what the hell being concole centric ( I think you meant console centric) has to do with it showing off Vita touchscreen? you can't do that on the PS3

I personally didn't find their presentation to be all that interesting with regards to touchscreen...

Firstly because these games are console games to begin with...and what I'm after is purely experiences which are designed for handheld through and through...with my PSP I never went near a console port...or a game that already exists on console. I don't buy handhelds to play console games.

Secondly I just don't see the value in having to pass my finger across the screen or tilting it in order to navigate across a gaps and ledges if I'm playing Uncharted Vita...it clearly a gimmick and definately not a design philosophy.

I want to see games with full touchscreen support for playing the entire game rather than just sections here and there.

jett said:
It's all about the games, and right now the Vita is winning. 3DS just has an incredibly poor lineup. Games aside, the Vita pretty much wins in all the other departments as well. :p
how are you comparing their line ups out of interest?

right now the 3DS has already launched a number of decent titles, and a bunch of really good titles (that may not be interesting to you, but certainly have a wide appeal and solid pedigrees) are coming before the PSV even launches.

if you're just talking personal tastes, disregard... but we don't even know which of the announced PSV games are going to be available around launch.

Riposte

Also Nintendo's handheld titles are quite overrated and certainly lack the consistently of their console offerings. For example, before the "infallible" Mario bros starred in New Super Mario Bros Wii they were in the relatively crappy New Super Mario Bros. Zelda, Metroid, and so on haven't done much better recently. Does the new disappointingly lame Golden Sun count? I am just saying, it is not the same.

That said, the selling power of these titles are undeniable and it is likely Nintendo might sell more units overall based on that alone.

However imagine a scenario not unlike where the Wii currently stands now. Nintendo releases Pokemon and other familiar titles and a few third parties release things like Inazuma Eleven and sell extraordinary amounts, but what if it remains otherwise cold in comparison to the more powerful Vita. I mean what is hot in Japan right now? Where do you think the developers who want to make Monster Hunter quality games want to develop? And if the west starts to matter here(hey, it could happen) what platform do you think they will support? The one-stick dual-screened one which poorly renders 3d models or the two-stick iOS-friendly widescreen console-like one.

The Technomancer

Riposte said:
Also Nintendo's handheld titles are quite overrated and certainly lack the consistently of their console offerings. For example, before the "infallible" Mario bros starred in New Super Mario Bros Wii they were in the relatively crappy New Super Mario Bros. Zelda, Metroid, and so on haven't done much better recently. Does the new disappointingly lame Golden Sun count? I am just saying, it is not the same.
I can't speak for others, but when I talk about Nintendo's incredible handheld games, I'm not talking about the Marios and the Zeldas, which more often then not aren't as good as their console buddies. I'm talking about games that sell like Pokemon and Mario Kart, and games that are just routinely fantastic like anything from Intelligent Systems and the Mario RPGs

jett said:

Uh, the Vita doesn't have much of a lineup at all right now -- from first or third party. Uncharted, LBP, Super Stardust, not withstanding.

Am I missing something?

I'm not saying the 3DS is much better, mind you, but it's not a landslide victory in either direction.

Riposte

The_Technomancer said:
I can't speak for others, but when I talk about Nintendo's incredible handheld games, I'm not talking about the Marios and the Zeldas, which more often then not aren't as good as their console buddies. I'm talking about games that sell like Pokemon and Mario Kart, and games that are just routinely fantastic like anything from Intelligent Systems and the Mario RPGs

Hmmm, yeah, you are certainly on to something there. I want a 3DS Wars for sure.

EDIT:

I just realized that we might actually get a true successor to Valkyria Chronicles thanks to the Vita.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Willy105 said:
The new Kite mechanic is very different from past Mario Kart games, since gliding across the track is not something that was in the previous games.

Seems like a much bigger change that queuing up where Drake will jump to, at least.
The glide mechanic is interesting, but are you going to seriously argue that a new Uncharted story w/cinematics and new experiences is somehow lacking the "new experience" of a hang glider in Mario Kart? Really?

Cwarrior

StuBurns said:

EDIT: That's not to imply it's still not better than 2D, it certainly is, and when I get a 3DS I'll be playing in 3D no question.

Well haven't seen a lot of 3d movies but I seen thor and pirates of the Caribbean in 3D recently, 3ds 3D effect is hell of lot better then cinema 3d from what I seen.

verbatimo

Animal Crossing
Luigi's mansion 2
Mario Kart
Star Fox 64
Super Mario

Same old names from Nintendo which are good, but where are the decent third party games.
They seem to be pretty lackluster.

If this is Nintendo's beam of light then it doesn't bode well. If 3DS doesn't get good 3rd party support, I don't predict a long life cycle. For example, Vita demonstration games were much assertive. Only a Capcom and a couple more seems to put effort to their 3DS games.

Riposte said:

That said, the selling power of these titles are undeniable and it is likely Nintendo might sell more units overall based on that alone.

However imagine a scenario not unlike where the Wii currently stands now. Nintendo releases Pokemon and other familiar titles and a few third parties release things like Inazuma Eleven and sell extraordinary amounts, but what if it remains otherwise cold in comparison to the more powerful Vita. I mean what is hot in Japan right now? Where do you think the developers who want to make Monster Hunter quality games want to develop? And if the west starts to matter here(hey, it could happen) what platform do you think they will support? The one-stick dual-screened one which poorly renders 3d models or the two-stick iOS-friendly widescreen console-like one.
to say they are overrated is just to say that you don't like them.

NSMB DS was a major factor in the success of the DS. it pushed a huge amount of hardware and continues to sell ridiculously well for a game as old as it is. you mightn't like it, which is fair enough... but i don't think you get that kind of long term system selling success if your game is relatively crappy.

you're allowed not to like them, but do people always need to say 'over rated' which has the tone of suggesting that other people praise the game more than it deserves, rather than suggesting that the person saying it just doesn't like it as much as everyone else?

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
i think it's fair to say that (as with any portable game) seeing them on the system at the right dpi they look a lot better than they did on a TV screen or monitor.

i think it's also fair to say that since the trailers were in 3D, you weren't even seeing how good they'll likely look in 2D where framerate or AA might be enabled. so you're seeing all the downside of 3D in those trailers, without seeing the upside.

i don't think that difference is necessarily more pronounced than it was before, but those trailers do look a lot more impressive on the system itself than they did during the presentation... but not for any reasons that you wouldn't predict i don't think.

and i'm sure PSV games look more impressive on the system itself too (though obviously we're talking a smaller difference as there isn't the 2D nature).

hell, Mario Kart is meant to run at 60 fps in 3D, and the trailer doesn't. so that should look even more impressive in the final version.
I'm pretty confused now. Maybe one of my posts was confusing. I said 3D on the 3DS isn't very impressive, I've never seen a 3DS game trailer in 3D, on or off the device.

Cwarrior said:
Well haven't seen a lot of 3d movies but I seen thor and pirates of the Caribbean in 3D recently, 3ds 3D effect is hell of lot better then cinema 3d from what I seen.
I don't think those films are even real 3D.

Amir0x said:
The thing is the 3DS hasn't had a lukewarm reception among the press.

In fact, for the 3DS, most people predicted its immediate success and prompt destruction of NGP. So if things turned out that way, it would be exactly what people expected. Which is the opposite of what happened with the NDS.

People are surprised at the Vita's price and how Sony seems to be getting it in under at the right value, but I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

I don't believe Vita will be a big success.

This is an interesting position. serious question- if the PSP had launched with touchscreen capability, as well as digital downloads (for cheap "buy anytime" impulse purchases from PSN) for the same cost as the DS, do you think it might have sold more than the 70+ million or so that it did?

would it have been a "big success" at 100 million? I personally think so, and the lack of a touchscreen meant the DS (and smartphones, to an extent) had a monopoly on certain kinds of games and apps that couldn't be made on PSP.

That simply isn't true anymore. the playing field is a lot more level.

Uh, the Vita doesn't have much of a lineup at all right now -- from first or third party. Uncharted, LBP, Super Stardust, not withstanding.

Am I missing something?

it's been implied, though not announced that those metal gear (and possibly zoe?) HD ports will be available on PSV (since they include the "transfarring" label on the US and japanese packaging).

in fact, I'd expect any PS2-era HD upgrades would be absolutely trivial to port to Vita.

zoukka

Whichever gets more 2D games is the winner for me. Couldn't five a flying fuck about most of the console conversions.

chubigans said:
The glide mechanic is interesting, but are you going to seriously argue that a new Uncharted story w/cinematics and new experiences is somehow lacking the "new experience" of a hang glider in Mario Kart? Really?
again, both sides of this argument are making stupid points and being inconsistant.

doesn't Mario Kart feature more than just 'gliding'? doesn't it have new tracks? doesn't it have more new mechanics than just gliding?

i think arguing that one is 'more new' than the other is bonkers. both are new entries in established franchises. both do about as much as you'd expect them to do.

but if you're downplaying the new stuff one game brings to the table (as both of you are) while bigging up the new stuff the other has... you're not being consistant.

The Technomancer

Manmademan said:
This is an interesting position. serious question- if the PSP had launched with touchscreen capability, as well as digital downloads (for cheap "buy anytime" impulse purchases from PSN) for the same cost as the DS, do you think it might have sold more than the 70+ million or so that it did?

would it have been a "big success" at 100 million? I personally think so, and the lack of a touchscreen meant the DS (and smartphones, to an extent) had a monopoly on certain kinds of games and apps that couldn't be made on PSP.

That simply isn't true anymore. the playing field is a lot more level.
The PSPs problem was always software. Even before piracy utterly crippled it, the line-ups were pretty disparate between the two platforms, in terms of what the wide handheld audience cared about (not necessarily just core gamers)
Because most of my "core gamer" friends did buy a PSP at launch, and most of them used it as a media player like 80% of the time. And most of them ended up buying DSs as well.

chubigans said:

same people want games, and when they want story and cinematics they go and watch a movie

Riposte

plagiarize said:
to say they are overrated is just to say that you don't like them.

NSMB DS was a major factor in the success of the DS. it pushed a huge amount of hardware and continues to sell ridiculously well for a game as old as it is. you mightn't like it, which is fair enough... but i don't think you get that kind of long term system selling success if your game is relatively crappy.

you're allowed not to like them, but do people always need to say 'over rated' which has the tone of suggesting that other people praise the game more than it deserves, rather than suggesting that the person saying it just doesn't like it as much as everyone else?

You seem to be in auto-defense mode, because I made it clear that these titles might sell way more.

NSMB (DS) was a shitty Mario game with terrible level design. Extremely disappointing considering it was suppose to be his big return to 2D. I do not think I am going against some consensus here. EDIT: Lame power-ups too. Rare power-ups too.

EDIT:
Starchasing said:
same people want games, and when they want story and cinematics they go and watch a movie

...huh? What are you trying to say in response to that post?

StuBurns said:
I'm pretty confused now. Maybe one of my posts was confusing. I said 3D on the 3DS isn't very impressive, I've never seen a 3DS game trailer in 3D, on or off the device.
you were responding to someone telling you that the trailers were much more impressive on the 3DS than they were during the conference. i thought you were asking him how that was... and i did my best to explain why they looked better on the 3DS than they did during the conference.

i'm sure, whether you've seen a trailer in 3D on or off the device, that you've seen 3DS games in 3D, and seen overly blown up trailers and screenshots of those same games. so i was just saying it isn't any more different than that really.

Top Bottom