• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

There are additionnal comments on Polygon who also thinks Brian Crecente didn't quite understand. I don't think either "requires" is the appropriate word here.

OK so wait, I think Polygon is steering you guys wrong.

That image shows the space the camera covers. The documentation doesn’t say that much space is required, only that that’s the amount of space the camera can ‘see’ and track the headset in.
https://asia.playstation.com/id/en/psvr/guide/guide

If you’re going to sit on your couch I don’t think you need all that room. And of course if you planned to be walking around, that’s the amount of space the camera can see.

This is important. Polygon, please change the article to make it clear that the unit is USABLE in that much space, not that it requires that much space.

Based on my experience with the PSVR, I am almost 100% certain that "required clear space" is not accurate. The camera covers a very large area, and the only reason they would request more space is to ensure that you are not knocking anything over while you have the headset on.

"Cleared Space" doesn’t mean "the headset won’t work with things in the area". It means "clear space (so you don’t knock everything over while you are basically blindfolded, you dunce)".

You want to be able to reach your arms out in all directions while sitting, basically.

jdmonmou

"Limit your use of PS VR to within the Play Area"

1) The Play Area shows every possible location someone could reasonably play seated and expect PS VR to work.

"Clear an area larger than the Play Area of all obstacles before using PS VR"

2) This is where you can correctly assume that the Play Area is also how much space you need to clear to use the device, by Sony's official guidelines.

So while you could sit anywhere in the Play Area, an obstruction that also exists inside that area could prevent (1) from being true.

Hopefully, Sony clears this up. It's ridiculous that so much space is needed for seated VR.

Well technically the article is right. While the play area is where PS VR can be theoretically used, Sony recommends the play area is made into a clear space in order to make sure every point inside the play area becomes a reliable place to use the device.

Like Kinect, it's going to depend on your setup, though. So if you've only cleared half of the play area and sit in that half you'll be fine.

But if a portion of the play area has furniture that's going to obscure the camera's ability to see the player, or the player's ability to wave their arms around and not hit anything, then you can't just assume that you'll be able to use PS VR in any location within the play area.

And thus you will need to clear out that much space to be 100% certain you can play PS VR safely and reliably at any location within the play area.

Teletraan1

Banned
2x3 is 6sq ft. And I sit further away from my tv

I am using meters like the diagram. Do you sit somewhere in a 2m by 3m area in front of your TV currently? Maybe move a chair up when you are playing. Otherwise this is pretty much the standard area in front of a TV in any home. They are just telling you to clear an area so you don't get hurt or break shit. Pretty much a boilerplate warning. As long as you are in this area it will work. Not really seeing the problem or the need for people to jump immediately to pre order cancellation but please do if it is a problem for you.

My only real issue is getting the camera up higher.

I have a very low sitting surface for my PS4, sound bar, and camera. My TV is a 70" and mounted on the wall in such a way that the camera would be way way way too high if mounted on top of it. It can't clip below it either.

Would be nice if there was a special stand just for the camera that allows you to adjust the height.

PSFan

I'm wondering if this will even work for me now. My PS4 is in my bedroom, and my TV isn't directly in front of the bed. If I'm sitting in it and playing, the TV is on my left side and above me.

Does the camera have to directly in front of you to play?

I don't get why I would need space behind where I'm sitting. I've got the rough dimensions available, but my couch is backed right up against a wall. I can't think of a practical reason for that two feet behind the player.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Non-metric units should have been killed with fire by now.

You can sit in any place of that area and play fine. And the document states you must be sitting all the time unless the game requires otherwise. So if you've got half that area in your home, no problem: it's still ok.

Not really. In order to be 100% certain that any location within the play area works, you'd need to clear out a space equal to the area.

But if you do have an obstruction, then the feasible play area shrinks. Which is a key takehome point I think. You'll be able to use PS VR without clearing out that much space, but the feasible number of places you can play from diminishes. Which should be fine for seated games, less-so for games with heavy use of swinging motion controls, standing and/or social asynchronous multiplayer where you'll probably be passing the headset between players (much like how you passed the GamePad around with Nintendo Land).

Well considering their own demo stations at some expos haven't been this size I think you're pretty safe guys/girls in something smaller, don't you? Use some common sense when extrapolating info like this... Journalism loves to take worst case scenario of something, run with it as an article before examine facts a numerous number of times.

JaggedSac

I have a very low sitting surface for my PS4, sound bar, and camera. My TV is a 70" and mounted on the wall in such a way that the camera would be way way way too high if mounted on top of it. It can't clip below it either.

Would be nice if there was a special stand just for the camera that allows you to adjust the height.

If the PS Camera has a standard mount attach point on the bottom, any camera stand should work. Not sure if it does or not though.

It seems to be the opposite of "needing" that space. The camera can track you within 60 sq ft, so that's the maximum area you'll need. But if you remain seated then you won't need anything else but your chair space and a direct line of sight to the camera.

This.

KORNdoggy

so basically they're using a size based on the FOV of the camera (play area), even though you're likely to just be sat in the very middle and not need anywhere near that amount of space.

sounds fine to me. i can't imagine i'm going to move from the outermost left edge of the play area to the outermost right edge in a single game anyway. lol

Onemic

I find it hilarious that no one is up in arms about this (2x3M space requirement) but everyone was whining aobut HTC Vive's roomscale requirement(1.5x2M). One requires more space for seated play and the other requires less space for Roomscale with no requirement for seated play.

I find it hilarious that no one is up in arms about this (2x3M space requirement) but everyone was whining aobut HTC Vive's roomscale requirement(1.5x2M). One requires more space for seated play and the other requires less space for Roomscale with no requirement for seated play.
This just reads like trying to start a vr war. Don't know why people were up in arms about the vive anyway. In fact didn't even see it but alright

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I award you a honorary games journalism degree.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't get why I would need space behind where I'm sitting. I've got the rough dimensions available, but my couch is backed right up against a wall. I can't think of a practical reason for that two feet behind the player.

You wont. You are in the play zone and as long as you have line of sight to the camera and no other obstructions then everything should be fine.

TalonJH

I would just buy a peace of velcro and attach it to the bottom of the TV.

I'm wondering if this will even work for me now. My PS4 is in my bedroom, and my TV isn't directly in front of the bed. If I'm sitting in it and playing, the TV is on my left side and above me.

Does the camera have to directly in front of you to play?

Not in front of the TV. Just move the camera.

KORNdoggy

it doesn't 'require' that amount of space. most people get that.

Onemic

This just reads like trying to start a vr war. Don't know why people were up in arms about the vive anyway. In fact didn't even see it but alright

Not trying to start a VR War. I want the PSVR to do well. I just find it weird how people arent using this as a negative as they were with the vive.

Teletraan1

Banned

Did you actually read the thread (with people bitching about canceling pre orders) or understand the "requirements" or use any sort of critical thinking before posting this? Or did your VR fanboy senses start tingling when you saw the title and rushed in here? We are still on page one of this thread with negative reactions. I don't see how there is a big enough sample of reactions for you to say people aren't reacting negatively.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A lot of that space is just for saftey, not smacking your hand against a coffee table or tripping up over stuff. I doubt you need all that space to play every single game especially when sat down.

This sounds more logical for this.

And it really is not that big of an area, lol.

This is called cover-your-ass legal shit.

Yep.

Reading that Polygon also has not applied sound comprehension. They are on a roll man, lol.

KORNdoggy

I've got a tiny, cramped room that I won't be leaving any time soon, and am hyped for PSVR. Am I fucked, GAF?

read the thread...short answer...no!

while the space the camera can see is 60square feet. that isn't needed to use it. you just need to be visible within that cone of vision. even if you are sat 3 ft away

it's not like games are going to make you move from one edge of the cameras vision to the other.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The more I hear about VR the more I am convinced that it still isn't a viable tech for mass market living room entertainement

I think it is great for arcade instead

Nzyme32

Polygon hasn't understood this at all. Appears to simply be the space within which you can sit and be tracked properly. Not sure how it can be interpreted in a different way

Apathy

I feel like the large play area is more just so you don't knock something over and get hurt. I've played it with people standing literally right beside me and there were no problems.

Reminds me of that video if the tightrope vr thing they showed off where people were literally falling down. I imagine they don't want people trying something like that and hitting shit and suing them.

Oh also the billiards gif I saw earlier this week of the dude trying to lean in the vr billiards table and falling

TalonJH

Reminds me of that video if the tightrope vr thing they showed off where people were literally falling down. I imagine they don't want people trying something like that and hitting shit and suing them.

Oh also the billiards gif I saw earlier this week of the dude trying to lean in the vr billiards table and falling

Pretty much.

"A cinematic mode allows users to watch various movies and PS4 games on a big screen in a virtual space."

Is it weird that this is what I am most excited about?

Sizzel

remain seated? People should be up in arms about this more than space.

I have not tried rift or PSVR, but extrapolating from using my office's Vive, not being able to physically move around (crouch , jump, dodge..etc) inside of a space and see my "hands" in vr would make this wildly lesser of an experience. It feels like you are actually in the world. Crawling around in a drop ceiling in VR is as awesome as physically dodging arrows or peeking under a table.. etc et al.

Do people really want a 180 degree 3d television strapped to your head that uses a controller and you just sit there that can be run in a 2 ft by 2 ft square area?

That isn't VR and could really damage/slow the progression because in absence of any other reference, that experience might be cool, but in context sucks.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/29/12321092/playstation-vr-space-requirement

dam-psvr-playarea_en2.jpg

That's just 5,7m². What's the problem?

Nzyme32

Also of note, they ask that you clear an area larger than that play area, which no one will do. This seems to be the standard overzealous health and safety at play, which few will pay attention to and likely still be perfectly fine with a smaller area. It does keep sony out of the way of liability for any accidents though

Nikodemos

Ehh, it's mostly CYA stuff to prevent themselves getting sued by some dumbasses who will trip over a chair/table and smack their heads against a wall.

TalonJH

"A cinematic mode allows users to watch various movies and PS4 games on a big screen in a virtual space."

Is it weird that this is what I am most excited about?

No, using "cinematic mode" in other headsets is surprisingly pleasant. I watched the entirety of Daredevil's second season in a virtual living room. I figured the resolution would be crap but it comes out looking great honestly.

I'm guessing most of this is about safety (rather than actual functionality), but if that's not the case... eek. Could be looking at a Kinect situation where the demo experience just never translates to what players can get at home.

Top Bottom