• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

Zaki2407

i'd imagine it's the same reason they didn't recommend kids using 3D tv's. it's new tech, you don't know how it's going to effect us in the long term, let alone developing minds/eyes etc.

Sigh.... Oh well, he have to wait for PSVR 2 on the PS5 then. But, 1 problem emerge. How will I convince the wife that I will buy a US$400 toy which I'm the only one who can use it? (She's not a gamer) 😫😫

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd guess they're being over cautious to avoid any potential court dealings with injuries etc

That's all it is. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't play too close to the screen/camera in case you flip out and knock them over. Don't play near the china cabinet. Just use common sense, it's not as if PSVR won't work if you're not sitting in a 60sqf bubble.

cheezcake

I guess a focus on seated experiences makes a lot of sense considering the lack of 360 degree controller tracking, but it's still a little disappointing.

iratA

"Play Area" in context of the diagrams is clearly intended to demonstrate the camera's field of view aka "Play Area". Obviously the "play area" is not going to be used entirely and yes this area should also be clear of obstacles etc. People should not be freaking out over this, it looks like most people sitting within a meter or so of the camera in there room will be able to play/use VR without issue.

I live in a small ass bedroom, so no deal.

I actually cancelled my pre-order yesterday, not because of this however. All the VR systems seem to offer is these mini VR experience type games. It's not what I want VR for.

Blobbers

*sigh*
Just spent 20 minutes trying to get my 4 sisters and 5 buddies to cancel their pre-orders after reading the OP, and now I find out after reading further that Polygon misinterpreted the text? now I have to call everyone back and make an ass out of myself and basically tell them to forget what I said earlier.

This is why people need to update their OP when needed.

The only real requirement I can think of for the vast majority of games is the distance from the camera to where you're sitting, and maybe an arms length of room for the Move controllers.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
"Play Area" in context of the diagrams is clearly intended to demonstrate the camera's field of view aka "Play Area". Obviously the "play area" is not going to be used entirely and yes this area should also be clear of obstacles etc. People should not be freaking out over this, it looks like most people sitting within a meter or so of the camera in there room will be able to play/use VR without issue.

You got it.

Most people are going to be playing like this (Depending on camera height):

wk4K3bs.png

*sigh*
Just spent 20 minutes trying to get my 4 sisters and 5 buddies to cancel their pre-orders after reading the OP, and now I find out after reading further that Polygon misinterpreted the text? now I have to call everyone back and make an ass out of myself and basically tell them to forget what I said earlier.

Not only was this insanely quick and alil embarrassing lol but why not wait,do research yourself etc

NeoRausch

I guess it's time to move the beer bottles out of the way.

But seriously, this sounds more like a security thing then a technical one.
You know, like taking a 20 minute break every hour of gaming.

Juuuuust to be safe.

Tagyhag

*sigh*

And why you shouldn't jump the gun so fast lol.

It's threads like these that make me glad I have my own profesional thread to inform people correctly. If I were u guys I would stop posting on this thread and let the misinformation die.

N30RYU

*sigh*

I hope they all cancelled their preorders 'cause you didn't inform yourself by doing a research

Tripolygon

Banned
Quick and easy, I went to youtube to find other people's demos. This demo clearly doesn't have the space requirements and everything works.

https://youtu.be/WBjFL8402UU?t=7m8s

Two More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3qXbXNIGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kr6IKnmdkE

I personally played it a year ago with a rep hovering around my shoulder.
Like this fellow says, you don't need that much space to play a sited experience on PSVR or any other VR for that matter. What they are trying to illustrate is the size of the Play Area that can be covered by PSVR and by extension, you need to clear that Area whenever you are playing a game that requires the use of the entire Play Area. Majority of games i will assume will be seated or not make use of that much space since PSVR is limited to 180 degree VR games.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Basically like vive, you need an area of your arm-span to fully utilise the system, if you want to swing around your ps.moves, so ~1.9x1.9m.
If you want to sit down and play with the DS4, just sit somewhere in the catchment area, that 1.9x3m box.
So if you want to use the ps.move you really need some space, just like the vive.

Quick question that may have been discussed already in this; does the PSVR have a "courtsey wall" that prevents you from going to far forward/backward/sidways like the HTC Vive?

krang

Sigh.... Oh well, he have to wait for PSVR 2 on the PS5 then. But, 1 problem emerge. How will I convince the wife that I will buy a US$400 toy which I'm the only one who can use it? (She's not a gamer) 😫😫

Man up and buy the damned toy.

Kyne

*sigh*

I would hate to be the guy who just mistakenly convinced 9 people to cancel their preorders when getting a PSVR will probably be impossible until after December.

TalonJH

Even smaller Demo area than the other videos I posted:

https://youtu.be/2x5LyeHEYmo?t=2m1s

Like this fellow says, you don't need that much space to play a sited experience on PSVR or any other VR for that matter. What they are trying to illustrate is the size of the Play Area that can be covered by PSVR and by extension, you need to clear that Area whenever you are playing a game that requires the use of the entire Play Area. Majority of games i will assume will be seated or not make use of that much space since PSVR is limited to 180 degree VR games.

Quick question that may have been discussed already in this; does the PSVR have a "courtsey wall" that prevents you from going to far forward/backward/sidways like the HTC Vive?

We don't know. It's primarily a seated or standing experience so you won't be walking around the play area (at none of the current demos do). With only one camera while the headset can be tracked when turned around, the Move controllers would be obstructed.

audio_delay

Neo Member

The brake out box has a mirror mode, so she can watch you play ^^. Youtube and twich proves that some people love watching others play. You just need to make funny comments and stuff. In a sense you would become her personal comedian, without going to clown college.

because the play area isn't used in its entirety while playing. it is simply what the camera can see, and thus the area in which you can be seated within it.

i mean, if a webcam can see 60 square feet of a room, does that webcam now require 60 square ft to use? no, it simply means you have to stand within that "cone" to be seen. which is common sense anyway.

But my webcam doesn't come with an instruction manual recommending I clear out the space whenever I use the device. Why would PSVR differ?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But my webcam doesn't come with an instruction manual recommending I clear out the space whenever I use the device.
QED, son.

--

TalonJH has the patience of a saint. The amount of ridiculous deliberate (I hope for them) stupidity that people come up with is staggering. 2016 is not just a record temperature year.

jaypah

Stand up, spread your arms and spin in a circle. That's the space you'll need. A little less if you plan to play seated. It isn't a Vive where you'll be walking and reaching to pick up stuff. I agree with those saying this is a non-issue.

Edit: actually you could probably stand and hold your arms out then bring them together and get an idea of how much space you need since you probably won't need the space behind you with it topping out at 180 degrees.

TalonJH

QED, son.

--

TalonJH has the patience of a saint. The amount of ridiculous deliberate (I hope for them) stupidity that people come up with is staggering. 2016 is not just a record temperature year.

I just want people to understand and not miss out on something because of misinformation. Like everything, some people are going to love VR and others are going to hate it but at least make that based on educated information.

Also, I honestly kind of feel like a dick because when Poygon was announced, I thought it was going to be the best gaming site ever. I supported them and "spread the gospel" for a while and then It seemed like the flipped a switch and just started publishing nonsense. I still read some of their editorials but 75% of the time they have me in awe.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Also, I honestly kind of feel like a dick because when Poygon was announced, I thought it was going to be the best gaming site ever. I supported them and "spread the gospel" for a while and then It seemed like the flipped a switch and just started publishing nonsense. I still read some of their editorials but 75% of the time they have me in awe.
We're part of the Polygon problem. This site is part of the garbage cycle.
The most clicks Polygon gets from us (if we base it on thread views) is for clickbait or shoddy research or dumb contrarian editorials.

*sigh*

Oh dude. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Its not OPs fault.

I cancelled my order too, but not because of this. I just don't want a £300 toy that plays mini games. I've not seen many PSVR games that look like they can hold my interest for more than half hour.

HardRojo

*sigh*

Man it's hard to tell sarcasm apart sometimes :/

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Bishop89

i wouldnt put too much thought into this.

It will still work, just like how the ps camera / move works under their requirements

Top Bottom