• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

cakely

I find it hilarious that no one is up in arms about this (2x3M space requirement) but everyone was whining aobut HTC Vive's roomscale requirement(1.5x2M). One requires more space for seated play and the other requires less space for Roomscale with no requirement for seated play.

You should be a games journalist.

TalonJH

remain seated? People should be up in arms about this more than space.

I have not tried rift or PSVR, but extrapolating from using my office's Vive, not being able to physically move around (crouch , jump, dodge..etc) inside of a space and see my "hands" in vr would make this wildly lesser of an experience. It feels like you are actually in the world. Crawling around in a drop ceiling in VR is as awesome as physically dodging arrows or peeking under a table.. etc et al.

Do people really want a 180 degree 3d television strapped to your head that uses a controller and you just sit there that can be run in a 2 ft by 2 ft square area?

That isn't VR and could really damage/slow the progression because in absence of any other reference, that experience might be cool, but in context sucks.

I've used PSVR standing up, it wasn't a problem.

"Limit your use of PS VR to within the Play Area"

1) The Play Area shows every possible location someone could reasonably play seated and expect PS VR to work.

"Clear an area larger than the Play Area of all obstacles before using PS VR"

2) This is where you can correctly assume that the Play Area is also how much space you need to clear to use the device, by Sony's official guidelines.

So while you could sit anywhere in the Play Area, an obstruction that also exists inside that area could prevent (1) from being true.

I don't think the point of (2) is to make (1) not true, but rather it's telling people that some people might require moving, so you better off clearing a bigger area than the play area so you don't hit anything, as you would be blind in the real world.

Lord Phol

This article is full of misinformation and assumptions. It's just basic usage recommendations not absolute requirements.

I don't believe that.

If only you had read the attached documentation instead of being in such a rush to post first. Its pretty clearly spelled out.

I think it has more to do with liability and safety tho, unless objects like coffee tables would somehow interfere with the sight lines of the camera. But the wording is very liability focused.

Nzyme32

I have not tried rift or PSVR, but extrapolating from using my office's Vive, not being able to physically move around (crouch , jump, dodge..etc) inside of a space and see my "hands" in vr would make this wildly lesser of an experience. It feels like you are actually in the world. Crawling around in a drop ceiling in VR is as awesome as physically dodging arrows or peeking under a table.. etc et al.

Do people really want a 180 degree 3d television strapped to your head that uses a controller and you just sit there that can be run in a 2 ft by 2 ft square area?

That isn't VR and could really damage/slow the progression because in absence of any other reference, that experience might be cool, but in context sucks.

Why is no one reading the actual material from which Polygon is reporting. It very clearly demonstrates you are not going to always be seated, and when told to stand you should "follow the application instructions carefully"

LXU94zz.png

TalonJH

Why is no one reading the actual material from which Polygon is reporting. It very clearly demonstrates you are not going to always be seated, and when told to stand you should "follow the instructions carefully"

...They never do.(To be fair, Poygon is leading people in the wrong direction)

It starts the sentence with "limit your use of PSVR to within the Play Area."

KORNdoggy

it isn't a 180degree screen strapped to your face. you can turn anyway you like. you're just seated doing it...not to mention most of the games announced for this thing (or VR in general) are cockpit based. or would standing and moving around greatly enhance those experiences too i wonder? lol

EDIT: based on a lot of the responses in this thread. it's clear people don't know how to read. lol. the "PSVR is doomed" messaged are particularly hilarious.

Zaki2407

I,m curious about why do children under 12 are not allowed to use this thing. Health issue? They will freak out and destroy things on their surrounding? Or the headset will not fit on their small head? I have a 6 years old son, and I'm looking forward to play VR with him 😔

KORNdoggy

I,m curious about why do children under 12 are not allowed to use this thing. Health issue? They will freak out and destroy things on their surrounding? Or the headset will not fit on their small head? I have a 6 years old son, and I'm looking forward to play VR with him 😔

i'd imagine it's the same reason they didn't recommend kids using 3D tv's. it's new tech, you don't know how it's going to effect us in the long term, let alone developing minds/eyes etc.

TalonJH

I,m curious about why do children under 12 are not allowed to use this thing. Health issue? They will freak out and destroy things on their surrounding? Or the headset will not fit on their small head? I have a 6 years old son, and I'm looking forward to play VR with him ��

People are going to say because developing eyes, etc. but the truth is we don't know if its bad yet so lets play it safe.

"A cinematic mode allows users to watch various movies and PS4 games on a big screen in a virtual space."

Is it weird that this is what I am most excited about?

Probably.

You've got 960 x 1080's effective resolution (960 x 1080 per eye, resulting in a 3D version of a 960 x 1080 resolution image) rendering a 2D display in the distance...so you're going to be playing all your PS4 games downscaled, as the resolution of the virtual display (1920 x 1080) needs to be lower than the headset resolution to appear native, but it isn't.

Grinchy

Banned

I was looking forward to letting my 8 year old nephew try it out, but my helicopter parent sister will freak out at the 12+ year old warning.

Read!! Somebody please change the damn op

Wouldn't change much - the post was about Sony's chances of selling the product, and if they themselves are passing on their own calculated playing area that users are advised to clear out, then that's what potential buyers will be told at stores etc.

Nzyme32

To accommodate 180° gaming sure.

from 1080/60 to 180/60

He's not wrong though. This is primarily designed for forward facing games and experiences in VR, rather than something like Vive where you are both playing regardless of orientation to a particular direction or position in the space (that can also extend much larger). It's incredibly important to make sure people actually stay in where they are properly tracked or at worst they will be utterly nauseated when tracking fails or are at least pulled away from their immersion in the world

TalonJH

I was looking forward to letting my 8 year old nephew try it out, but my helicopter parent sister will freak out at the 12+ year old warning.

We won't tell her if you won't. Just don't get mad if your nephew gets trapped in a virtual world in his mind or something.

Why is no one reading the actual material from which Polygon is reporting. It very clearly demonstrates you are not going to always be seated, and when told to stand you should "follow the application instructions carefully"

"Follow the application instructions carefully" refers to instructions provided by the software in situations where the user stands. The advice about play area precedes this extra information about the possibility of a game asking a player to stand.

I don't think the point of (2) is to make (1) not true, but rather it's telling people that some people might require moving, so you better off clearing a bigger area than the play area so you don't hit anything, as you would be blind in the real world.

(2) is to ensure (1) is correct for every possible position within the play area. I'm sure motion controls when standing are also part of the picture, yes!

farisr

I posted this in the driveclub vr thread but I'll post it here again.

Really doubt it, I think that diagram is meant to show the maximum potential play area/range rather than minimum requirement. They just didn't word it correctly.

Sulik2

Uhm what. The whole point of PSVR is its not room scale so I don't need a huge space for it. This is really bad news. May need to cancel my preorder now.

J-Tier

If the play space is the maximum, my room should be fine. I was worried since I have about 36-42 square feet of cleared space, and there's furniture on one wall so it throws the whole thing off-center.

I got the space, but don't know which HMD I'll get, concidering I've got a PC and Xbox as well... I need a one-HMD-suits-all.

Will probably wait until at least next year anyway.

Uhm what. The whole point of PSVR is its not room scale so I don't need a huge space for it. This is really bad news. May need to cancel my preorder now.

You don't need all that space if you're going to be playing seated titles. Sony are just covering themselves for those games that do require full body movement.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
THIS THING IS GONNA BE A NICHE DEVICE.

Its like kinect on steroids is what i say

Nzyme32

"Follow the application instructions carefully" refers to instructions provided by the software in situations where the user stands. The advice about play area precedes this extra information about the possibility of a game asking a player to stand.

Which is entirely my point to the comment I was responding to. You are not restricted to games that are only seated. Form what it says it implies that a seat is expected to be accommodated in the play area at all times. However as I have already stated, no one will follow such guidance so directly in their home, and is more a protection from liability in case of accidents

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does the manual asking the player to clear out the 60-sqft space shown in the diagram not constitute a space requirement?

Obviously, nobody will know until this thing is out in the real world - being used under non-regulated conditions. But people are fair to be cautious.

Which is entirely my point to the comment I was responding to. You are not restricted to games that are only seated. Form what it says it implies that a seat is expected to be accommodated in the play area at all times. However as I have already stated, no one will follow such guidance so directly in their home, and is more a protection from liability in case of accidents

Cool, thanks for elaborating.

deoee

Haha, i always forget about the stupid non-metric systems...
Welcome to centuries ago.

Also the space requiered doesn't seem so bad.

Generally theres huge empty places in front of the TV anyway :)

KORNdoggy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does the manual asking the player to clear out the 60-sqft space shown in the diagram not constitute a space requirement?

Obviously, nobody will know until this thing is out in the real world - being used under non-regulated conditions. But people are fair to be cautious.

because the play area isn't used in its entirety while playing. it is simply what the camera can see, and thus the area in which you can be seated within it.

i mean, if a webcam can see 60 square feet of a room, does that webcam now require 60 square ft to use? no, it simply means you have to stand within that "cone" to be seen. which is common sense anyway.

I've tried PSVR twice and both times I was surrounded by people, effectively making the space around me way less than what it "requires", Those numbers are to protect their own ass so people don't blame them if someone knocks over a lamp while playing.

But sure, let's continue with the concern trolling and "preorder cancelled" talk...

Top Bottom