• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

antibolo

Banned
I've honestly not been watching for news on that front at all. Not after the Magical Drop V debacle. I'm happy with my MVS cart of Magical Drop 3, even if chances to play it with people are limited.

Same here haha.

Wish I also had Money Idol Exchanger but it's so damn expensive.

S2

Whoa, I didn't realize we had a Puyo master over here. Or at least, good enough to write those guides I found when I started browsing the Puyo nexus. I hope to not get completely wrecked by you online. \^w^/
Lol I'm in the top 20 online on the Switch version, but I think that's only because there's a lot of Japanese players who didn't feel like buying Puyo Tetris for the third time... Still, the competition is very rough where I'm at.

Oh wow, I had imported the JP release previously and never knew about any of these skin options. I have a friend who has colorblindness and some of these skins seem perfect to help distinguish things. I'm guessing they have to be unlocked in someway?
I think 4 skins come unlocked by default. You can unlock more by buying them through the in-game point shop (you get points from just playing a lot).

To me it seems like it's certain characters that are hard to play against when they're cpus. The twins, blue haired girl and one with the little yellow thing are absolutely brutal sometimrs. (I've never played an actual puyo puyo game outside of Avalanche and mean bean machine so I don't know their actual names.
You can get some quick bios and names on the official Puyo Puyo Tetris website. http://puyo.sega.com/tetris/character/index.html
Actually, if everyone else isn't aware, a lot of stuff was updated on the official English site recently. You can read up on the game modes and download wallpapers and Twitter icons.

Dinjoralo

Lol I'm in the top 20 online on the Switch version, but I think that's only because there's a lot of Japanese players who didn't feel like buying Puyo Tetris for the third time... Still, the competition is very rough where I'm at.

Well, you should have more company when all of Neogaf buys this.

...Right, guys? 😡

I think 4 skins come unlocked by default. You can unlock more by buying them through the in-game point shop (you get points from just playing a lot).

I figured as much. Will have to look out for this, and I'll probably put a lot more time into the game with everything translated this time.

Go to accounts.nintendo.com

Either create a new account with Japan as your country, or edit your current Nintendo Account and change the Country to Japan.

If you created a new account on the last step, create a new user account on your Switch and link it to the new account.

Open the eShop and choose your Japanese account.

Download the demo. Enjoy!

(If you edited your main account, be sure to change it back)

I didn't realize you could just swap regions on your existing account, that's even better

Dinjoralo

I looked at some of Sega's official videos, and heard some of Risukuma's lines.

NO!! There had better be some Street Fighter shit where you can change each characters language, or there will be hell to pay!!

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that the game was confirmed to be dub-only shortly after the localization was announced.

To me it seems like it's certain characters that are hard to play against when they're cpus. The twins, blue haired girl and one with the little yellow thing are absolutely brutal sometimrs. (I've never played an actual puyo puyo game outside of Avalanche and mean bean machine so I don't know their actual names.

Yeah, the AI varies per character. Don't know how everything shakes out in PPT, but Rulue (blue hair) tends to be higher-leveled in the main Puyo series since she was one of the major antagonists in the Compile games.

Ugh...I want G-mode gone. It's been almost a decade of them screwing up Magical Drop games...

Puyo Puyo Teris is a day one purchase since it's pretty much standing in for portable Magical Drop for me

I held out a tiny bit of hope that Marvelous would pry the series from G-Mode, but we've gone nearly two years since they were acquired and nothing has come from it.

Goddamn, I got my ass whipped on the demo when playing Tetris vs Puyo, but when I played Puyo vs Tetris I was playing desperately and won without knowing exactly how.

...I should probably learn how to play Puyo Puyo.

Jawmuncher

But I want to hear the dog go

"I LUV TETARIS"

"Tetris my hypothesis is confirmed" is whack

Also the blue hair girl in the Japanese version sounds like she says DAMN.

Sapiens

If it's dub only, then as long as we have the option to turn the voice off, we're good, but to not include the Jpn voices on a super niche game is a weird decision.

Dinjoralo

"I LUV TETARIS"

He's an adorable bear-squirrel-thing, dammit! But I agree. I know the characters have alternate voices at least, and that they're dubbed too, but I don't know what they're supposed to be.

So uh... how's fusion mode? :p That looks like fun to me.

S2

If he's stylin' you can definitely get some cheese wins. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/130160049
wow...dont do this to me lol....
Here's a fight i had recently with a JP friend, I think it's more representative of what high-level puyo is like https://www.twitch.tv/videos/129638210

A bit of cursory looking around isn't showing me anything that says that. So I'll hold out hope.
the localization producer confirmed it on Twitter https://twitter.com/sam_mullen/status/819815676143542272

"I LUV TETARIS"

if you want to weeb out even more with anime puyo shouting, you will enjoy this site. It's a transcript of what every Puyo character says in battle in JP, with translations. http://klugheit.kitunebi.com/voice_e.html

Are there modes where you can play only Puyo or only Tetris ?
yes. http://puyo.sega.com/tetris/rule/vs/index.html

So uh... how's fusion mode? :p That looks like fun to me.
here's me dominating one of my friends in Fusion mode lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeT5spBZuBI

Dinjoralo

the localization producer confirmed it on Twitter https://twitter.com/sam_mullen/status/819815676143542272
if you want to weeb out even more with anime puyo shouting, you will enjoy this site. It's a transcript of what every Puyo character says in battle in JP, with translations. http://klugheit.kitunebi.com/voice_e.html

Damn... Like, I'm not one of those guys that flips out over subs and dubs, and I've even made fun of one of my friends for it over Neptunia. The thing here is that the japanese voices just kind of become background noise that I can easily filter out because I can't understand it, while it's still expressive and emotive enough to carry what's happening. Whereas I can tell right off the bat hearing the english lines over and over again is going to get annoying fast, and while some of the voices I've heard are pretty well done, I've heard enough to say it's a mixed bag.

Not trying to start an argument, I just want to lay out my stance on this.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks that the choice isn't there, but I'm ready for English voices. Maybe now I can play as Draco for more than two matches without wanting to go deaf. Poor girl got stuck with an absolutely brutal voice in Sega's games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
From watching the high level tetris players in this, I really don't see where the tetris is weak complaints are coming from.

So if English voiceover is the only option I'm hoping we have the option of turning it off completely...

Either way, can't wait to buy this. Friends seem to love the demo.

japtor

From watching the high level tetris players in this, I really don't see where the tetris is weak complaints are coming from.
I'd guess it's cause Puyo players can set up huge chains, while with Tetris you can only set up so much in advance. Besides the next and held pieces you're at the mercy of what the game gives you. But I guess the balance is that in Tetris you can play fast as hell and hopefully send enough garbage to screw up the Puyo player's build up.

S2

I don't understand you guys. You haven't even heard much of the English voice acting yet lol...

Anyways, the eShop price has been fixed for those of you who were worrying:
C7kdJ4eW0AA6GWP.jpg:small

How many of you guys plan to get into Puyo Puyo competitively when the game comes out in English? A competitive Puyo community on GAF sounds like it'd be fun.

I don't understand you guys. You haven't even heard much of the English voice acting yet lol...

How many of you guys plan to get into Puyo Puyo competitively when the game comes out in English? A competitive Puyo community on GAF sounds like it'd be fun.

As it has been mentioned before, it's been about a decade since the last Puyopuyo game was localized. Fans of the series are just used to the Japanese audio now (if nothing but for lack of any other option) and probably just don't want to be forced to get used to completely different voices now.

deadfolk

Gonna be interesting to see what this turns out at in EU. I'm sure someone said it was going to be €40.

Glad they updated the sShop price.

I feel the same way I did with Isaac. Perfect game to have digitally but there's something awesome about having the physical game (which I'll be buying).

In terms of Puyo, I never really got into it but that's because I never owned a copy. I've played here and there but didn't take the time to learn it. Thanks to this game, I'm going to finally sit down and see what it's all about.

I came close to purchasing the Japanese version but decided to wait and give myself things to look forward to. I still have the demo so that's been keeping me entertained.

Experien

Temptation to have it on me wherever I go seems better than physical but the keychains could be cool. But cheaper price, decisions.

I am probably just going digital.

deleted

The Japanese voices are great in the Demo - they have to go pretty far to get them right in the American version...

We'll see.

japtor

If it's that big of a deal it'd be cool if they did DLC (whether free or paid) to add in a Japanese voice option for anyone that wants it.

Kinda curious how much space the VA takes, the game is only just over a gig total.

deadfolk

If it's that big of a deal it'd be cool if they did DLC (whether free or paid) to add in a Japanese voice option for anyone that wants it.

Kinda curious how much space the VA takes, the game is only just over a gig total.

I would be willing to pay for JP VA as DLC, but it would depend on the base price. I'm still waiting to hear what it will cost in EU. Also, has there been definitive word on how DLC will work with multiple accounts / cross-region?

EDarkness

I hate to say it, but I'm mainly getting this game to play Tetris. I tried the demo, but I don't know anything about how to play Puyo Puyo. I'll dabble in that, too. No interested in playing competitively. I'm just not that committed. Heh, heh.

naib

Glad this is getting localized. But I'd be bummed if it doesn't have japanese voice option.

Have import on PS4 and Vita and will likely tripple dip on PS4 again. Honestly a little too much eyestrain on vita for me. At least w/ Puyo

TETUUUREEEESS

antibolo

Banned
You can just set your account to Japanese and it should do all that for you without the need to buy the actual Japanese game

We don't know that for sure yet.

That's how most Switch games have been so far but it doesn't mean they all will. Especially a game where the localization is released later, I suspect it will be like games on other consoles where they strip out the original language.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I mean I've got a PS4 copy that I'm willing to part with in a month if one of you really wants JP voices. :p

Top Bottom