• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

S2

So random question, who's mostly here for the Puyo vs the people here for Tetris? I'm in the latter category. Maybe that could be a poll in the OT. :p
I'm here for the Puyo. Puyo's not very popular in the west just yet, but I think it has a promising future as a competitive game. Puzzle games like Tetris have critical mechanics like damage scaling and the garbage system changing with each iteration; but Puyo Puyo has been pretty much the same since 1994, and Japanese folks still play the crap out of it at arcades. I think that should be pretty suggestive of Puyo Puyo's perfection as a competitive puzzler. Oh yeah, and you won't get repetitive stress injuries from playing Puyo Puyo all the time either lol. It's not a very demanding game execution-wise. I believe this, coupled with the main competitive ruleset being safe from balance changes, makes Puyo worth investing in professionally. The top players in the Japanese scene are in their mid-30s... For those of you who are hesitant about learning puyo, rest assured that any Puyo skills you gain will stay relevant for the rest of your life.

Will the matchmaking be ranked at all?

I remember trying to get the Japanese PC version of Puyo Puyo Fever going and boy was that a rough learning curve with all the really good players.
There's some sort of ELO system that tries to match you with people close in rating. Puyo Puyo Tetris's online scene has enough mid-level Puyo and Tetris players to let you progress upwards steadily

If you want to reexperience the cutthroat levels of competition from the Puyo Puyo Fever PC days though, try Puyo Puyo Chronicles for the 3DS. Almost all the players I've fought on there are capable of 10 Chaining you.

I'm curious, what do mainline Puyo games have that this game lacks? I thought this game had a huge amount of content?
The anniversary games tend to have a dozen more party modes for you to play with your friends... those are fun. The characters also get full-body animations for their attacks instead of the small cut-ins at the bottom of the screen in PPT.

PP2's single-player mode also starts throwing you 5 colors at a time once you get to floor 3 or so (when standard competitive play has always been 4 colors). It's kind of ridiculous.
Your own chains also do less damage in later stages. 5 colors make extending really risky, and on top of that you usually need a 6 chain to guarantee the quick-kill and a minimum floor run.

FSLink

Banned
come for the tetris, stay for the puyo
Would make a good OT title, lol
Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| Come for the Tetris, Stay for the Puyo

Can't wait for the US release of this. I have this on 3DS, Vita, and PS4...would gladly buy it again. It's actually really tempting to just import it on Switch but I should probably save the money and wait for the localized release.

sonto340

Does this game have a decent Puyo Puyo tutorial? I'd actually like to finally get good at it :(
Man I hope so. I've always been good at the moment to moment clearing the board but setting combos and thinking more than one step ahead leave me completely stumped.

Dinjoralo

If you remove the account, it'll go away right?

Yep, but that also means you can't play the japanese demo. I tried getting rid of the account to get rid of the japanese news, trust me on this.

I'm here for the Puyo. Puyo's not very popular in the west just yet, but I think it has a promising future as a competitive game. Puzzle games like Tetris have critical mechanics like damage scaling and the garbage system changing with each iteration; but Puyo Puyo has been pretty much the same since 1994, and Japanese folks still play the crap out of it at arcades. I think that should be pretty suggestive of Puyo Puyo's perfection as a competitive puzzler. Oh yeah, and you won't get repetitive stress injuries from playing Puyo Puyo all the time either lol. It's not a very demanding game execution-wise. I believe this, coupled with the main competitive ruleset being safe from balance changes, makes Puyo worth investing in professionally. The top players in the Japanese scene are in their mid-30s... For those of you who are hesitant about learning puyo, rest assured that any Puyo skills you gain will stay relevant for the rest of your life.

Huh. From my time with the demo, which I can guess isn't representative of Puyo as a whole and all, I don't quite like how it works with the competitive stuff. It feels like even one piece of garbage could throw off anything you could be setting up, and one decent combo can cover you in so much garbage you can't get back to what you were setting up on the bottom before more comes down and just leaves you with too little space to save yourself. Maybe I just need to git gud, and there's probably a setting for how much garbage comes down that I can't read.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, what do mainline Puyo games have that this game lacks? I thought this game had a huge amount of content?

Like others have mentioned, there are many more variations of Puyo Puyo in the standard Puyo games. (There are like 6 gameplay variations in Puyo Tetris vs 17-20 in 20th Anniversary/Chronicle.) The huge one is Fever rule, which is about two steps removed from being a completely different puzzle game, but many of the other gameplay rules are pretty fun too. Chronicle also has an RPG mode that looks pretty interesting.

Miker

Yep, but that also means you can't play the japanese demo. I tried getting rid of the account to get rid of the japanese news, trust me on this.

Huh. From my time with the demo, which I can guess isn't representative of Puyo as a whole and all, I don't quite like how it works with the competitive stuff. It feels like even one piece of garbage could throw off anything you could be setting up, and one decent combo can cover you in so much garbage you can't get back to what you were setting up on the bottom before more comes down and just leaves you with too little space to save yourself. Maybe I just need to git gud, and there's probably a setting for how much garbage comes down that I can't read.

You have to blow up your own chain to counter/negate the amount of garbage being thrown at you. It requires some degree of chaining capability, and the ability to read the flow of the match and know when to harass or counter. It's simple, pure puzzling, almost to a fault. It's definitely best played with someone of similar skill as there are no comeback mechanics like the diamond in Puzzle Fighter.

So random question, who's mostly here for the Puyo vs the people here for Tetris? I'm in the latter category. Maybe that could be a poll in the OT. :p

i don't really get how Puyo Puyo works and it's nearly unplayable on a high level as a colorblind. I'm all in for Tetris though.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Isn't it some Tetris license issue that it isn't digital on PS4? Still dumb...I'm getting it on switch for the portable play but I dont think of Tetris as a physical game. Just want to load it off my system and play.

Yeah the Tetris company doesn't allow competing Tetris games to be on the same store. It's really weird. Tetris company has a bunch of backwards rules in general.

marcod

Does anyone find the AI in the Switch demo really really hard when it's Tetris VS Tetris? I'm rarely able to squeak out a round win, let alone winning the entire game. Is this game just really hard or do I just suck?

Does anyone find the AI in the Switch demo really really hard when it's Tetris VS Tetris? I'm rarely able to squeak out a round win, let alone winning the entire game. Is this game just really hard or do I just suck?
Tetris is just really hard lol. You need some well timed execution to do well consistently in versus.

Sapiens

I'm always crushing the CPU at Tetris, but I'm always, always playing Tetris with gameboys littered around the house. You have to fast, never stop pressing down, bank your pipes and hope the random-god will bless you.

EDIT: I also have a weird hobby where i pick up loose japanese copies of Tetris DX for GBC on eBay and try to beat the 40 line scores that are saved. I've had mixed luck beating them. Some of these carts were played by gods.

jacobeid

Banned

I find the entire thing hard. The AI is really unforgiving. That said, I do definitely suck.

B00TE

Does this game have a decent Puyo Puyo tutorial? I'd actually like to finally get good at it :(

Man I hope so. I've always been good at the moment to moment clearing the board but setting combos and thinking more than one step ahead leave me completely stumped.

This guide helped me get started with some basic stuff. If nothing else, it'll be a good read. I'm still terrible at Puyo but slowly getting better, I tend to play Tetris if I want to do well against my friends.

When I had a few friends up for PAX East, we played the ps4 version almost the entire weekend when we weren't at the convention itself lol.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm pretty good at Tetris, or at least enough to win most if not always against the demo opponents, but I definitely need some serious training to get good at Puyo. Sometimes I get wrecked by some of the monster chains they set up. I also find it curious how they play, stacking puyos on both side of the screen and then unleashing some killer combos. Is that a viable strategy? I just try to set up combos evenly in the play field.

febLey

I saw a trailer with english voices, but I'd be nice if we could choose between english and japanese. Tweeted to Sega and Sega Europe, maybe I'll get an answer.

Berordn

I'm pretty good at Tetris, or at least enough to win most if not always against the demo opponents, but I definitely need some serious training to get good at Puyo. Sometimes I get wrecked by some of the monster chains they set up. I also find it curious how they play, stacking puyos on both side of the screen and then unleashing some killer combos. Is that a viable strategy? I just try to set up combos evenly in the play field.

Vertical combos are less likely to be affected by trash falling. If you spread it out, a layer of garbage can ruin all your chains.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert

It has the same tutorial as the rest of the recent Puyo games, with the puzzling difference that you just watch demonstrations rather than play through interactive drills. I don't know why it was set up that way because everything is in-engine.

antibolo

Banned

I've just accepted that I'm too dumb for mid-to-high-level Puyo play.

At least I can hold my own at Tetris which requires more reflexes and less long-term planning.

There's some sort of ELO system that tries to match you with people close in rating. Puyo Puyo Tetris's online scene has enough mid-level Puyo and Tetris players to let you progress upwards steadily

If you want to reexperience the cutthroat levels of competition from the Puyo Puyo Fever PC days though, try Puyo Puyo Chronicles for the 3DS. Almost all the players I've fought on there are capable of 10 Chaining you.

Good to know! Thanks.

I'm still at the level of 4-5 chains so I'll stick with PPT lol.

Shame that Fever mode isn't in PPT, I love the back and forth nature of it as PPF was my first PP game.

I've just accepted that I'm too dumb for mid-to-high-level Puyo play.

At least I can hold my own at Tetris which requires more reflexes and less long-term planning.

I know that feel.

I'm way better at execution heavy games like Magical Drop or Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack/Puzzle League). Still not exactly competition level at any of those games though, but I can at least hold my own there.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

The AI in this game varies by character. Generally, the characters at the top of the select screen are the easiest to defeat.

Vertical combos are less likely to be affected by trash falling. If you spread it out, a layer of garbage can ruin all your chains.

Scrub strategy: Fill up the right-most 3 columns to the top as fast as possible, then start popping the bottom row and hope that it creates a chain reaction.

My friends and I played like this for months before attempting to actually learn any real patterns lol.

Gurrry

This. Im pretty bad at both puyo and tetris, but the AI kicks my ass so fast that I feel like even if I was good, id still lose.

Dinjoralo

If I remember on options there are variations of how the puyo looks, in fever series at least had one variation that was made for colorblind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vylPFjD3JRo

Looking at that... A lot of the puyo skins look cool, but most of the tetris skins look really tacky and distracting. I do like the classic Gameboy sprites, though. And the one that makes the Puyo's giant blocks and the tetraminos little Puyo's is funny.

Dinjoralo

Has there been word on whether the VA will be in Japanese or dubbed? I got used to the Japanese VA from the demo.
We know there's going to be a dub. We don't know if you'll be able to replace the voices with the original japanese, which I hope you can because I don't think anyone can do Risakumo better. LUUUUVV TETORIS.

S2

Haha this is what makes Puyo so interesting though!! Even small, well-timed bits of garbage can be really fatal if you're not careful, so it's critical that you read and predict what chains your opponent is making and try to counter them. You can try countering their harassment chains with small counters of your own, or you can build in a way that lets you tank the garbage while keeping your trigger accessible. (You can click on these chains to open them in a chain simulator).

Or, if you're really skilled, you can chain through the garbage.

There's many risks you have to calculate before you set off your 10+ Chain or harassment. What is the probability your opponent will get the colors they need to finish and trigger their chain within the timeframe of your chain popping? Does the opponent have the chaining ability to beat your setup? The mindgames and risks you have to think about are kinda similar to chess or poker, I think.

Yeah you just have to be a lot faster, especially to compensate for when the CPU gets some really good garbage hole RNG against you.

This guide helped me get started with some basic stuff. If nothing else, it'll be a good read. I'm still terrible at Puyo but slowly getting better, I tend to play Tetris if I want to do well against my friends.
I wrote this guide six years ago back in high school... I hope it still stands up lol.

If you mean this:
chainimage.php

don't do it, try your best to learn some real patterns https://puyonexus.com/wiki/List_of_Chaining_Forms

I don't think you need crazy long-term planning abilities to get started in Puyo though. There are patterns of Puyo with simple shapes you can memorize that removes a lot of the mental effort you need to spend on "planning" a chain.

I assumed this, but I'm okay with that. I just wanted to use the demo for a weekend to tide me over until it's released but didn't want the Japanese news to continue to pollute the news feed.

japtor

I know that feel.

I'm way better at execution heavy games like Magical Drop or Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack/Puzzle League). Still not exactly competition level at any of those games though, but I can at least hold my own there.
Side note, is Mag Drop or Money Puzzle Exchanger coming? I thought I saw one of them in the list of that company doing Neo Geo stuff but can't find anything right now.
The AI in this game varies by character. Generally, the characters at the top of the select screen are the easiest to defeat.
Ahh, I gotta test this out next time I play. I was on a trip and played some people (4p individually) and lost a few games, got annoyed and played 1v3 CPU a little on the way back to work on my skills. But I just did the default characters it shows at first and won matches 2-1, maybe a few 2-0 sets in there. I'll try mixing it up next time cause I felt like it wasn't good enough practice if I ever played against decent players teaming up against me.

For the OP that asked, down and hard drop are the key for speed, otherwise one thing in particular for multiplayer (or scoring) is to go for multiple lines as much as possible to send garbage over to the other player(s). Dealing with garbage yourself is a fine art of ignoring it, clearing it, or building with it. Sometimes I just do my own thing and will work my way to the garbage eventually, sometimes I'll work my way through the garbage just to lower my stack, sometimes I use an existing hole and build a multi line clear around it.

Otherwise I don't know, repetition and just getting to know the shapes and the ways they can fit a stack, speed up recognition of all that. Obviously a lot easier to do in single player, so you'll have to wait for the full release...or work on it in the many other versions available. Console/emulation wise I'm kind of thinking the Japanese developed ones are the better versions, otherwise freeware or web based ones tend to be decent enough for the basics.

For reference I've been playing on and off since the GB Tetris way back, mainly around Nintendo's portable versions when they came out. There was also a 2-3 year stint in high school with TI graphing calculator Tetris, losses were rare. I had the computer link cable needed to download the game in the first place and my copy going around was basically the school's source of it. I went back for something a year or two after I graduated and heard my high score was still around.

On the other hand I was at an arcade meetup a few years back and got destroyed. I know my place in the gaming food chain.

Side note, is Mag Drop or Money Puzzle Exchanger coming? I thought I saw one of them in the list of that company doing Neo Geo stuff but can't find anything right now.

I've honestly not been watching for news on that front at all. Not after the Magical Drop V debacle. I'm happy with my MVS cart of Magical Drop 3, even if chances to play it with people are limited.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

G-Mode's probably hesitant to do anything with Magical Drop considering V...happened.

Magical Drop III is my favorite puzzle game, so I'd be down for a sequel or rerelease, but yeah.

IIRC, G-Mode renewed the trademark late last year so that's something lol

Dremorak

Banned
I'm not sure I 'get' puyo, doesn't seem as interesting as tetris. Pretty cool that you can do tetris vs tetris in this tho :D and in the demo as well :D

galvatron

G-Mode's probably hesitant to do anything with Magical Drop considering V...happened.

Magical Drop III is my favorite puzzle game, so I'd be down for a sequel or rerelease, but yeah.

IIRC, G-Mode renewed the trademark late last year so that's something lol

Ugh...I want G-mode gone. It's been almost a decade of them screwing up Magical Drop games...

Puyo Puyo Teris is a day one purchase since it's pretty much standing in for portable Magical Drop for me

If I remember on options there are variations of how the puyo looks, in fever series at least had one variation that was made for colorblind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vylPFjD3JRo

Oh wow, I had imported the JP release previously and never knew about any of these skin options. I have a friend who has colorblindness and some of these skins seem perfect to help distinguish things. I'm guessing they have to be unlocked in someway?

El Odio

Banned
To me it seems like it's certain characters that are hard to play against when they're cpus. The twins, blue haired girl and one with the little yellow thing are absolutely brutal sometimrs. (I've never played an actual puyo puyo game outside of Avalanche and mean bean machine so I don't know their actual names.

Fireblend

Banned
If you mean this:
chainimage.php

don't do it, try your best to learn some real patterns https://puyonexus.com/wiki/List_of_Chaining_Forms

Heh, I've been practicing with the Puyo nexus wiki actually, I was just wondering about that "clustering to the sides" thing because I saw the com opponents doing it and didn't remember the wiki mentioning anything like it. I actually got a whole lot better at beating the com opponents in the demo after practicing my stairs :p hopefully I'll be able to pull some better combos in the future; that wiki's real useful and it's nice to be able to play Puyo Puyo in some form even if it's a demo.

Also, I'm a fan of your detailed responses. Never stop preaching the Puyo gospel! :p

Heh, I've been practicing with the Puyo nexus wiki actually, I was just wondering about that "clustering to the sides" thing because I saw the com opponents doing it and didn't remember the wiki mentioning anything like it. I actually got a whole lot better at beating the com opponents in the demo after practicing my stairs :p hopefully I'll be able to pull some better combos in the future; that wiki's real useful and it's nice to be able to play Puyo Puyo in some form even if it's a demo.

Also, I'm a fan of your detailed responses. Never stop preaching the Puyo gospel! :p
The wiki does mention it... as examples of things the CPU does that you should avoid
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/First-Instinct_Chains

Top Bottom