• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

S2

Fans of the series are just used to the Japanese audio now (if nothing but for lack of any other option) and probably just don't want to be forced to get used to completely different voices now.
Really? A lot of dedicated English Puyo fans had the chance to sample the English voices at Anime Ascension and the Nintendo Switch events, and fwiw they said the English dub was surprisingly good.

In terms of Puyo, I never really got into it but that's because I never owned a copy. I've played here and there but didn't take the time to learn it. Thanks to this game, I'm going to finally sit down and see what it's all about.
If you want some help... hmu :)

You can just set your account to Japanese and it should do all that for you without the need to buy the actual Japanese game
We don't know that for sure yet. That's how most Switch games have been so far but it doesn't mean they all will. Especially a game where the localization is released later, I suspect it will be like games on other consoles where they strip out the original language.
Also, the US version costs $30 digitally while the JP version costs like $50... I wouldn't bet on a surprise dual language / dual audio option, but release is still a month away so who knows.

I mean I've got a PS4 copy that I'm willing to part with in a month if one of you really wants JP voices. :p
Urgh lol... I have five extra copies of Puyo Tetris. I lost control of my life at some point along the way...

devonodev

So I was playing the Puyo Puyo Tetris Japanese demo, and while the 4 of us were on the main menu just playing around with buttons, we crashed the game and landed upon a debug menu! The one option was changeable from ON to OFF, but I couldn't find a way to leave the menu without quitting from the homescreen. Has this been seen before?

C77MaQsVUAAdDhy.jpg:large

andymcc

Banned
So I was playing the Puyo Puyo Tetris Japanese demo, and while the 4 of us were on the main menu just playing around with buttons, we crashed the game and landed upon a debug menu! The one option was changeable from ON to OFF, but I couldn't find a way to leave the menu without quitting from the homescreen. Has this been seen before?

Wtf

I downloaded the japanese demo using my japanese account (I'm in NA) and I can't. stop. playing. this. game. only interested in the tetris portion right now and I simply can't get enough of it. experiencing the 'tetris effect' every couple minutes--it's crazy

I'm thinking about picking up the japanese edition of the game and figuring out the menus because I don't want to wait a month for the localized version. I just have a few reservations:

will i be able to play the japanese version using my NA nintendo account? if so, will it show in my activity log? I like tracking my hours

does this game have classic tetris mode... I like the puyo switching and the versus mode in general but I'd also like the ability to just play puyo and just play tetris solo. Is there something like this? Thanks!

Jawmuncher

Time for everyone to get the demo for hacking purposes in the future

devonodev

I downloaded the japanese demo using my japanese account (I'm in NA) and I can't. stop. playing. this. game. only interested in the tetris portion right now and I simply can't get enough of it. experiencing the 'tetris effect' every couple minutes--it's crazy

I'm thinking about picking up the japanese edition of the game and figuring out the menus because I don't want to wait a month for the localized version. I just have a few reservations:

will i be able to play the japanese version using my NA nintendo account? if so, will it show in my activity log? I like tracking my hours

does this game have classic tetris mode... I like the puyo switching and the versus mode in general but I'd also like the ability to just play puyo and just play tetris solo. Is there something like this? Thanks!
Yes, solo mode is available for both Tetris and Puyo. I'm trying to resist buying the Japanese version but its so hard.

Time for everyone to get the demo for hacking purposes in the future
Nintendo Ninjas are being sent to my house right now I can feel it

During the Anime Ascension exhibition the SEGA rep mentioned some kind of button cheat in their demo to disable soft reset (their build booted players back to the main menu after 15min presumably for demo purposes), seems to line up with that.

Just downloaded the demo. I love it! It's cool how the characters say Tetris when you get one. Don't really mind what language the dub will be :p

I've never played puyo before.. What's a nice basic tutorial of some simple skills whether on YouTube or written?

Fireblend

Banned
During the Anime Ascension exhibition the SEGA rep mentioned some kind of button cheat in their demo to disable soft reset (their build booted players back to the main menu after 15min presumably for demo purposes), seems to line up with that.

If that's what it does I need to know that button combo now.
Just downloaded the demo. I love it! It's cool how the characters say Tetris when you get one. Don't really mind what language the dub will be :p

I've never played puyo before.. What's a nice basic tutorial of some simple skills whether on YouTube or written?
The Puyo Nexus wiki is great. https://puyonexus.com/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo I followed it and am now decent at reliably beating the AI in the demo :p not that it's much of a challenge compared to actual players I imagine.

Koppai

Nintendo Switch games have pages on Nintendo Japan website which list the languages. Puyo Puyo Tetris is Japanese only.

QQv8TKc.jpg

Does anyone know what the bottom two options are with the numbers 70 and 4?
The most non-jargon explanation for the 70 is that it, along with the margin time setting, controls how "sudden death" works in Puyo. You might notice that after a while (96+ seconds) even baby 1 chains start to do a lot of damage to the opponent.

The 4 is the number of puyos that have to connect to pop them

The most non-jargon explanation for the 70 is that it, along with the margin time setting, controls how "sudden death" works in Puyo. You might notice that after a while (96+ seconds) even baby 1 chains start to do a lot of damage to the opponent.

The 4 is the number of puyos that have to connect to pop them

You can change the number of puyos needed to pop? Oh wow that's sweet!

devonodev

Ah I see. I wonder how complicated that button combo is.

Why is hard drop on for Tetris but off for Puyo by default? Infact there's an option to have it just for Tetris but not the other way around from what I understand. I've never played Puyo before but I like the hard drop, is there any reason why the default is off when it's on for Tetris? Any reason I shouldn't be using it?

Berordn

Why is hard drop on for Tetris but off for Puyo by default? Infact there's an option to have it just for Tetris but not the other way around from what I understand. I've never played Puyo before but I like the hard drop, is there any reason why the default is off when it's on for Tetris? Any reason I shouldn't be using it?

Default Tsu rules (which is what is usually played competitively) has it disabled.

(At least as far as I recall...)

S2

QQv8TKc.jpg

Does anyone know what the bottom two options are with the numbers 70 and 4?

おじゃまぷよレート = Garbage Puyo Rate. Lower number = more damage from Puyo chains.

The last one controls how many Puyo need to be grouped for them to pop.

Default Tsu rules (which is what is usually played competitively) has it disabled.

(At least as far as I recall...)
Yep that's the reason. The original Puyo game modes don't use Hard Drop.

Btw if you guys didn't know, the official English puyo Twitter is doing a giveaway for a 25th anniversary Amitie & Carbuncle figure and two Tetris themed cups.
https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/844607542852399104
C7ih-spUwAAq-of.jpg

S2

Oh ok. Do any other versions of the game have this option and is it looking like the tournament rules will change anytime soon?
Keeping hard drop in Puyo vs Puyo disabled is a deliberate design choice to make the meta focus around reading your opponent instead of just chaining really fast... so no, the tournament rules won't be changing.

As for Tetris vs Puyo settings... well, competitive players don't take Tetris vs Puyo very seriously in the first place unless it's doubles.

N30RYU

I'm having a blast playing it with my gf... But since the demo lets me play VS in tetris mode, puyo puyo mode and random mode I don't really know why I should buy the full version tbh...

Is there an amazing mode in the full version or something I should be aware of to buy it?

Lylo

I'm having a blast playing it with my gf... But since the demo lets me play VS in tetris mode, puyo puyo mode and random mode I don't really know why I should buy the full version tbh...

Is there an amazing mode in the full version or something I should be aware of to buy it?

Yeah, the demo is very generous, i will buy it because i'm a sucker for Tetris, but i'm sure many people will be really satisfied with the demo only.

The full version has TONS of modes and online play, it's well worth the asking price.

This reasoning might be why we didn't get an English demo lol.

bradigor

I play Tetris Ultimate on PS4 with my gf basically every day. I take it Puyo Puyo Tetris is even better?

Is Ultimate actually playable now? Or is it still a bug ridden mess with frame-rate issues?

To answer your question though. Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't just better, it is easily one of the best puzzle games ever made.

Dinjoralo

Is Ultimate actually playable now? Or is it still a bug ridden mess with frame-rate issues?

To answer your question though. Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't just better, it is easily one of the best puzzle games ever made.
I'll tell ya that on PC, it still has crashes when playing certain modes without playing other modes first. It's also blue as heck which makes the L pieces hard to see at times.

anyone in this boat care to chime in? i'll figure out the menus if i must, hell I'll double dip when the NA game comes out. i love this game!!

anyone in this boat care to chime in? i'll figure out the menus if i must, hell I'll double dip when the NA game comes out. i love this game!!

I used my NA account to play disgaea by purchasing a download code on Amazon Japan, then switching my region to Japan and inserting the code. If I switch back to the US, it's works fine. Also, my purchased US games show up as purchased on the Japan estore. I'd imagine this means you'll own the NA version by default as well, but I can't stay that for sure.

Still gonna wait. Love the demo so far though. It's an awesome game. I used to dream Tetris back when I had my gameboy. Puyo puyo is icing on the cake.

N30RYU

The newsfeed changes depending on which account you click on.
No. If you have a japanese account even if you only use another one you'll have japanese news feeds and even if you delete that JP account the japanese feeds will come up unless you reset the system to factory.

No. If you have a japanese account even if you only use another one you'll have japanese news feeds and even if you delete that JP account the japanese feeds will come up unless you reset the system to factory.

Ah you're right. Who needs the Switch as their source for news anyway :p

Top Bottom