• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare and crazy historical photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man the early 1900's seems like such a magical time.

I don't know what's so magical about the Spanish flu, World War 1, the violence during the Russian Revolution, the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the constant recession until World War 2... Makes the problems of the early 2000s practically minute in comparison.

Suffragette Emily Davison dies after running in front of King's George V horse during the 1913 Derby
emilydavison1.jpg

Relevant.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1081868

Noobcraft

This one is tough, it won a Pulitzer prize but only the little girl survived. There was a fire in the apartment complex and the fire escape failed while they were trying to get to safety. A newspaper photographer captured it and AFAIK there was a huge debate on whether or not to run the photo in the newspaper.

A%2Bmother%2Band%2Bher%2Bdaughter%2Bfalling%2Bfrom%2Ba%2Bfire%2Bescape,%2B1975%2B(1).jpg

Annual+midnight+swearing-in+of+Nazi+SS+troops,+Feldherrnhalle,+Munich,+1938.jpg

I live quite near that place.

I remember sitting there next to one of the lions with a girl at night, having a romantic time, kissing, watching the rain falling on Ludwigstraße.

I knew of the historical background of Feldherrenhalle, but seeing this photo makes the place a lot more scary somehow..

Yeah ive visited Munich a few times, i recognised this place immediately. Its just so weird to see.

cameron

JYwUPtg.jpg

41PLNVu.gif

The same V-2 rocket tech used previously during WW2.
B4Bh4Y8.jpg

Not rare, but posting these 'cause today marks the 39th anniversary of Viking 1's landing on Mars.

First panoramic view by Viking 1.

Tyreny

Annual+midnight+swearing-in+of+Nazi+SS+troops,+Feldherrnhalle,+Munich,+1938.jpg

I live quite near that place.

I remember sitting there next to one of the lions with a girl at night, having a romantic time, kissing, watching the rain falling on Ludwigstraße.

I knew of the historical background of Feldherrenhalle, but seeing this photo makes the place a lot more scary somehow..

Feldherrenhalle

Herrenhalle

Harren Hall

Mekere

Train accident at the Gare Montparnasse in Paris in 1885. The train driver wanted to make sure his passengers would be there on time, speeded up the train and didn't slowed it down on time.

Accident-Montparnasse.png

EloKa

East german solider Conrad Schumann escaping to west germany in 1961.

They have started to build the Berlin wall 2 days ago and he was guarding one of the last spots with only barbed wire.
During his patrols, on the same day, he pretended to check the wire several times and lowered it with each patrol until he decided to jump 'n' run.

He was literally the last escapee before the wall went up
8gmhfzl8.jpg

They have started to build the Berlin wall 2 days ago and he was guarding one of the last spots with only barbed wire.
During his patrols, on the same day, he pretended to check the wire several times and lowered it with each patrol until he decided to jump 'n' run.

That's pretty cool.

*checks Wikipedia article*

After the fall of the Berlin Wall he said, "Only since 9 November 1989 [the date of the fall] have I felt truly free." Even so, he continued to feel more at home in Bavaria than in his birthplace, citing old frictions with his former colleagues, and was even hesitant to visit his parents and siblings in Saxony. On 20 June 1998, suffering from depression, he committed suicide, hanging himself in his orchard near the town of Kipfenberg in Upper Bavaria.

Aww :(

"Aid from the Padre" by Hector Rondon of La Republica, Caracas, Venezuela.
1963 Pulitzer winner for the picture of a priest holding a wounded soldier in the 1962 Venezuelan insurrection in La Guaira.
The+priest+and+the+dying+soldier,+1962.jpg

NYCrooner

The heartbreaking aftermath of the Battle of Wounded Knee (Wounded Knee Massacre). The bodies of Native Americans lay frozen after being shot dead in what signaled the end of the American Indian Wars. Roughly 300 Lakota tribe men, women and children were slaughtered after a deaf tribesman named Black Coyote was reluctant to give up his rifle. A tragic end to a very ugly part of the USA past.

nuE2BDil.jpg

tmXPDB7l.jpg

kYrExywl.jpg

g4EQM0Ll.jpg

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

8gmhfzl8.jpg

Wow. Sad to see that he later ended his life.

Incredible Thread.

A chef cooks on the debris of his restaurant in Berlin, 1945
bafc383680a1d3c9819d9c5ba82a36e7.jpg

Nazi-pop
c1bfa8a32737461e64d7a7f1af6a3047.jpg

Trench during WWI some places saw periods of calm during the conflict and soldiers tried the best to made their life commfortable.
5cb4430b92bf2e19f4e8f75df9920e0b.jpg

Chichikov

Some awesome pictures, but since a lot of them are kinda sad/depressing let me lighten up the mood a bit.

Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart -
UpoYhHZ.jpg

Lou Reed and David Bowie -
55Tr7Bh.png

Dat gay agenda, yo.

I keep thinking about this one. It's a really powerful image, so tragic
Nuclear Bomb “Shadow” in Hiroshima, Japan 1945
rare13.jpg
---
What is this? This is amazing. I want to design something based on this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132102146&postcount=1
Navajo man dressed up as nayenezgani spirit. The nayenezgani spirit is a “slayer of alien gods.” The Navajo believe that this spirit casts out the evil spirits of the world

Chichikov

I believe this photo has been proven a fake. The soviet liars edited the flag into this some time later on.
It's not fake, but it was staged and edited (the flag was not edited in, it was actually there).
Also, it's the Reichstag in Berlin, not Stalingrad.

cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom