• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

hawk2025

what actual mechanism of game development is keeping Insomniac from just putting it in the game because I sure as hell can't think of a single one except Sony demanding a pre-order bonus item

I better be able to just buy it ingame for bolts

Adding a pre-order bonus, given the metrics that probably exist for what it does to sales, may have given them a little more leeway with the budget.

Just a guess.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
what actual mechanism of game development is keeping Insomniac from just putting it in the game because I sure as hell can't think of a single one except Sony demanding a pre-order bonus item
The standard mechanism by which something always gets left on the cutting room floor for any project, videogame or otherwise, y'know? Budget is finite, Resources are finite, Time is finite. To add more when you've hit the limits of your project's budget/resources/time requires special incentive to do so, regardless of what it is.

Mandelbo

Oh man, this looks brilliant. I have a lot of fond childhood memories of Ratchet and Clank, although I never did finish the first one. Out of interest, what're the PS3 ports of the original games like?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sly 4 and Puppeteer back in 2013 were $40 at launch, too. Seems to be Sony's new thing with platformers.

Oh, interesting. Well if that's the reason, then I won't complain. I was skeptical that it would be short given the price, but jstevenson cleared that up, and everything he said about Sunset Overdrive before it launched was proven true, so I trust this too.

So is this the correct summary so far?
  • The full, first Ratchet and Clank game reimagined
  • Added levels, elements, and better controls
  • 10-12 hours
  • 39.99 USD

Why is it 39.99 USD though? If it is a full fledged game, shouldn't it be 59.99 USD?

to create bigger demand.

UXADbOy.gif

lol

Lol don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I was legit wondering why

Ah.

Well like others said, similar games have launched for $40. I must admit, I was surprised by it being that low.

I'm hoping it's something similar for Australia, and not a situation like Uncharted HD where that game is $80 digital and $100 AU physical.

Xater

Is the release date for the game the 30th of June 2016 as it says on the PSN, or is that a placeholder and the real date is TBA?

The movie comes out April 26th 2016. I am going out on a limb here and say that the game will probably launch around then as well.

TrutaS

Looks crisp, colourful, detailed and genuinely fun. I'm glad Imsoniac is still making games like this, I wish they did another kid-oriented IP to mach Spyro which is still my favourite.

The movie comes out April 26th 2016. I am going out on a limb here and say that the game will probably launch around then as well.

I would hope so but the PSN date has me a little worried. I do like confirmed dates since I might be moving early next year and it helps me with when I can preorder it, whether I should hold off until later in the year or if sooner is better.

30 fps doesn't suddenly make it not look amazing. The order is at 30 fps and almost everyone would consider that eye candy.

60 fps is the ultimate eye candy to me.

Then you shouldn't come in here and blabbering about 30 fps crap in the first place. Let other people enjoy it.

i would've bought it at 60, i was excited for a moment. i'm allowed to express my disappointment with their decision.

Kathian

Banned
Looks good but the UI is pretty atrocious. Doesn't really fit what is around it!
Weird way to do a game, not sure why you wouldn't make a new one altogether but looks fun.

pixelation

Jstevenson please include the OG Ratchet outfit... green pants, no shoes, no shirt. I'd even pay for it as DLC... PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Just look at the reaction this game is getting. If it had some quality time at E3, it would have been huge.

Or it could have been shoved aside in favour of some other game. It's nice they put the trailer out now, so we can all focus our attention on it rather than in the middle of a conference.

Though I do wish the 8 minutes of gameplay was shown at E3. That would have been nice, but I can't really complain cause now I get to watch it over and over again instantly without distracting myself from the conference.

Cryxo93

Banned
Oh man, this looks brilliant. I have a lot of fond childhood memories of Ratchet and Clank, although I never did finish the first one. Out of interest, what're the PS3 ports of the original games like?

I came here to say and ask exactly this, although I did finish the first game (my favourite out of the original three). I have all of them but never played the PS3 games for some reason.

Alpende

That looks pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ratchet games I played on my PSP back in the day. Looking forward to trying it on PS4.

hawk2025

Just look at the reaction this game is getting. If it had some quality time at E3, it would have been huge.

The timing is perfect.

The trailer has surprised almost everyone and it's building up well during the pre-E3 time where it has everyone's attention and more time for itself, rather than have the vast majority of the press focusing on multiplayer-only E3-game-of-the-show-number-3, whatever that is.

Ramenman

hhhhhhhhgggggg It's incredible. I can't get over how INCREDIBLE it looks.

I knew it would look awesome on current gen hardware, but there's clearly something more that apparently I couldn't even imagine before seeing it now.

Oh god, the nostalgia, y'all! The nostalgia!

I remember playing a specific section a while ago that totally triggered my memory from 13 years ago.

Y'all are in for a real treat.

... in a year D:

I came here to say and ask exactly this, although I did finish the first game (my favourite out of the original three). I have all of them but never played the PS3 games for some reason.

PS3 ports of the original trilogy are good, though there's this one section in the third game where the framerate goes to the single digits. It was in the sewers. You don't really have to hang around there for too long though.

hhhhhhhhgggggg It's incredible. I can't get over how INCREDIBLE it looks.

I knew it would look awesome on current gen hardware, but there's clearly something more that apparently I couldn't even imagine before seeing it now.

... in a year D:

Doesnt look much different than the first one released on ps3, graphically.

Top Bottom