• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE Revelations - Rachel Joins as Playable Character in Raid Mode, Two New Enemies

Salsa

So sexy characters means no integrity?

Rachel-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Blind-Blonde.jpg

this crap doesnt belong in Resident Evil and it was put front and center in one of the trailers purely to sell the game, knowing she appears for like 10 minutes in the game

im not against justifiable sexy characters at all. This chick was just dumb and unnecesary

JoeFu

Banned
I don't think I saw this linked yet, but here's the Rachel trailer Capcom showed at TGS 2011. It's pretty much all you need to know about her character... it wasn't even in the game lol

Ridley327

I don't think I saw this linked yet, but here's the Rachel trailer Capcom showed at TGS 2011. It's pretty much all you need to know about her character... it wasn't even in the game lol

It doesn't even make sense for it not to be in the game, too. It's about a million times more screentime for her than what she gets in the game itself!

So, what are the chances Billy Coen to appear? D:

Seriously though, i'm actually looking forward to trying out this game. Especially since it comes out a week before my birthday.

Ridley327

So uh... Why wasn't Rachel playable in the 3DS version exactly?

I'd have to think it was because there isn't a "clean" version of her character model present in the final 3DS game. Since all of the other Raid characters were taken from gameplay, that's about the only excuse that I can think of.

"But wait, they did have one that they used specifically for a trailer for her backstory," and to that, I counter with the fact that they were already clearly batty enough to not even include that in the game to begin with. :p

If she's in there for 5 seconds, then that explains why she needs boobs. It's there for us to remember her by.

Oh, she's memorable alright. And not for the boobs.
She gets killed prior to the game, you find her corpse, then you come back later and it's gone, turns out she's infected and preceeds to spend the rest of the game stalking you at the worst goddam moments.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Resident Evil styles itself after shlocky horror movies. pandering is kind of par for the course IMO.

Then it needs to go all the way with it. It can't be super self-serious and dour one second, and then come out of nowhere with stupid shit like Rachel's design the next.

Arklite

Then it needs to go all the way with it. It can't be super self-serious and dour one second, and then come out of nowhere with stupid shit like Rachel's design the next.

Half of this thread is about how she's barely in the game, she's a non-factor to the plot or tone of Revelations. Raid mode, which is what she's featured in, is nothing but stupid fun with ridiculous looking giant/midget/super-powered versions of monsters in game. She fits right in.

Jharp

So I have a copy of Revelations just sitting here, but I'm almost certainly going to get the PC or PS3 version of this game in May.

Should I play the 3DS version or wait?

ohlawd

So I have a copy of Revelations just sitting here, but I'm almost certainly going to get the PC or PS3 version of this game in May.

Should I play the 3DS version or wait?

Might as well play it now. The campaign is fun but the real meat of the game comes from Raid Mode.

Rachel-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Blind-Blonde.jpg

this crap doesnt belong in Resident Evil and it was put front and center in one of the trailers purely to sell the game, knowing she appears for like 10 minutes in the game

im not against justifiable sexy characters at all. This chick was just dumb and unnecesary
More like 2 seconds.
Walk around as Jill, see someone knocked against the glass, dead.

Half of this thread is about how she's barely in the game, she's a non-factor to the plot or tone of Revelations. Raid mode, which is what she's featured in, is nothing but stupid fun with ridiculous looking giant/midget/super-powered versions of monsters in game. She fits right in.

One unbelievably cringeworthy moment that is in the game: you fall down a cliff and get mobbed by dogs, after you fight them all off with a pistol your sexy ai buddy helps you up and says 'just follow my sweet ass!' I don't know what I expected from the dialog and characters in a Resident Evil game, but I honestly felt kind of embarrassed to be playing it.

Neiteio

One unbelievably cringeworthy moment that is in the game: you fall down a cliff and get mobbed by dogs, after you fight them all off with a pistol your sexy ai buddy helps you up and says 'just follow my sweet ass!' I don't know what I expected from the dialog and characters in a Resident Evil game, but I honestly felt kind of embarrassed to be playing it.
That moment was CLASSIC. And actually, you fall down and before she gets to you, she says, "ME AND MY SWEET ASS ARE ON THE WAY."

Just one of many great lines in the game, including the one in my avatar.

That moment was CLASSIC. And actually, you fall down and before she gets to you, she says, "ME AND MY SWEET ASS ARE ON THE WAY."

Just one of many great lines in the game, including the one in my avatar.

I can't help picturing someone writing that line, someone editing it, someone doing the voice acting, someone directing the voice actor, someone working on the animations, someone doing the scripting..

Neiteio

I can't help picturing someone writing that line, someone editing it, someone doing the voice acting, someone directing the voice actor, someone working on the animations, someone doing the scripting..
LOL, yeah, it's funny when you think about a whole squad of people working on bringing to life moments like "MY SWEET ASS IS ON THE WAY" and "THAT WOULD BE TITS" and "I'M BUYING YOU LUNCH." But it's endearing as hell. Makes me all giggly and shit -- game wears its heart on its sleeve!

Arklite

LOL, yeah, it's funny when you think about a whole squad of people working on bringing to life moments like "MY SWEET ASS IS ON THE WAY" and "THAT WOULD BE TITS" and "I'M BUYING YOU LUNCH." But it's endearing as hell. Makes me all giggly and shit -- game wears its heart on its sleeve!

The entire game seems to have a lot of experimental narrative, characters, and dialogue unique in the franchise. The episodic presentation seems to have influenced the writers, adding in odd supporting cast like the Quint and Keith 'comedy duo,' a careless professional more interested in fashion with Jessica, a masked villain constantly preaching ominous crap, a bizarre conspiracy told through various view points and flashbacks, and more off beat dialogue.

I guess there is quite a bit of new story quirks that might blindside players.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Pft, no wonder didn't see this topic, looked up Resident.

Happy to have the new content. Getting pretty excited for this HD Revelations. Its probably the most they've done with a port since RE4.

Grief.exe

Excella struck a similar pose with one of her melee moves in RE5's Mercs Reunion.

Coincidentally, Excella is the one character who can go tit-to-tit with Rachel in over-the-top proportions.

They might be using the same animation.

No kidding she uses similar proportions.

Excella_Gionne__RE5_portrait__01.jpg

Nemesis_

I know it doesn't make it okay, but Rachel's hair is so ridiculous because
her eye was gouged out or something

Neiteio

I know it doesn't make it okay, but Rachel's hair is so ridiculous because
her eye was gouged out or something
I don't think you need to spoiler-tag that, as that detail is present before the game even begins.

Rachel lost her eye -- that's why she grows her hair this way. It appears that's the story reason.

The real reason, of course, is Capcom thinks it's absurd to make eye contact with a woman up -here- when her bewbies are down -there.-

Heh, that Wii U Raid mode stuff is charming. I loved Mercs in RE5/3DS, I assume it's pretty much the same right? Does the campaign feature online co-op like that did too for the campaign?

Neiteio

Heh, that Wii U Raid mode stuff is charming. I loved Mercs in RE5/3DS, I assume it's pretty much the same right? Does the campaign feature online co-op like that did too for the campaign?
Raid is nothing like Mercs. Raid takes entire levels from the single-player campaigns, and you and a partner (or just you, if you play by yourself) start off at one end, and have to work your way to the other end, defeating enemies and unlocking doors along the way. You level up, which allows you to equip more powerful weapons. You find loot including weapons and perks to equip, both in the levels and as awards upon completing them. There are 20 standard levels, three difficulty levels, and in the 3DS version there were 10 characters. There is also a 21st level, Ghost Ship, which is the ENTIRE cruise ship from the campaign, with multiple exits but only one true exit, and the enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, and it's absolutely brutal by the end. You can travel the ship freely, and the key is figuring out the path to the true ending that's least likely to get you killed. It's AMAZING.

Neiteio

Raid is nothing like Mercs. Raid takes entire levels from the single-player campaign, and you and a partner (or just you, if you play by yourself) start off at one end, and have to work your way to the other end, defeating enemies and unlocking doors along the way. You level up, which allows you to equip more powerful weapons. You find loot including weapons and perks to equip, both in the levels and as awards upon completing them. There are 20 standard levels, three difficulty levels, and in the 3DS version there were 10 characters. There is also a 21st level, Ghost Ship, which is the ENTIRE cruise ship from the campaign, with multiple exits but only one true exit, and the enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, and it's absolutely brutal by the end. You can travel the ship freely, and the key is figuring out the path to the true ending that's least likely to get you killed. It's AMAZING.
Moving this Q and A to the next page -- I hate being the last post on a page, lol.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I'd have to think it was because there isn't a "clean" version of her character model present in the final 3DS game. Since all of the other Raid characters were taken from gameplay, that's about the only excuse that I can think of.

"But wait, they did have one that they used specifically for a trailer for her backstory," and to that, I counter with the fact that they were already clearly batty enough to not even include that in the game to begin with. :p

I believe differently, I think that they probably had her playable for the first part of the game before Jill comes in, but then fan outcry for fanservice pandering scared the crap out of Capcom that changed her role in the game from playable to monster with no backstory. It also explains why RE Revelations's feels a little empty in the first part with no context.

Top Bottom