• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE Revelations - Rachel Joins as Playable Character in Raid Mode, Two New Enemies

Neiteio

I believe differently, I think that they probably had her playable for the first part of the game before Jill comes in, but then fan outcry for fanservice pandering scared the crap out of Capcom that changed her role in the game from playable to monster with no backstory. It also explains why RE Revelations's feels a little empty in the first part with no context.
I... don't see this at all. I think the reason they didn't put that sequence in was because it would've killed the pacing, and really, in the context of the actual game, you're not supposed to know what's the deal with her. After all, the reasons she's on the boat, and who she's working with... That's all supposed to materialize later.

1363706548-rachel-kick-001.jpg

Rachel-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Blind-Blonde.jpg

1363706553-rachel-rachel-002.jpg

Damn, its so frustrating.
Why does everyone think gamers are all just a bunch of immature 16 year olds?
Why won't anyone take the video game industry seriously?

I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Anteo

I... don't see this at all. I think the reason they didn't put that sequence in was because it would've killed the pacing, and really, in the context of the actual game, you're not supposed to know what's the deal with her. After all, the reasons she's on the boat, and who she's working with... That's all supposed to materialize later.

Then there is Jessica's report that showed a playable Rachel in early 2012. It's cofusing man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfCmgfTrvEs#t=18m55s

Frankly, I like her and her desing, so I'm the problem you are having with this industry. I'm sorry. Also, quote those pics please.

Grief.exe

Raid is nothing like Mercs. Raid takes entire levels from the single-player campaigns, and you and a partner (or just you, if you play by yourself) start off at one end, and have to work your way to the other end, defeating enemies and unlocking doors along the way. You level up, which allows you to equip more powerful weapons. You find loot including weapons and perks to equip, both in the levels and as awards upon completing them. There are 20 standard levels, three difficulty levels, and in the 3DS version there were 10 characters. There is also a 21st level, Ghost Ship, which is the ENTIRE cruise ship from the campaign, with multiple exits but only one true exit, and the enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, and it's absolutely brutal by the end. You can travel the ship freely, and the key is figuring out the path to the true ending that's least likely to get you killed. It's AMAZING.

Whoa

Neiteio

Riposte

As a level 20, I watched someone level 50 completely destroy Ghost Ship basically on his own (and he was fighting level 50s, a bunch at a time in fact). The loot system is dumb.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Then there is Jessica's report that showed a playable Rachel in early 2012. It's cofusing man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfCmgfTrvEs#t=18m55s

Yup, that is what I was referencing.

They clearly had a point where she was completely playable in the game and likely had a much larger role in the story. After fan outcry they likely took this section out which explains why a portion of the opening story feels a little empty.

Neiteio

As a level 20, I watched someone level 50 completely destroy Ghost Ship basically on his own (and he was fighting level 50s, a bunch at a time in fact). The loot system is dumb.
That's... hard to believe. Lv. 50 is the max level a player/weapon can reach, as well. It's one thing for a Lv. 50 player to one-shot a Lv. 1 monster (I presume that's what you mean by "destroying"), but to one-shot a Lv. 50? Even the most spectacular stat spread and the full number of equippable slots probably wouldn't power up a weapon that much.

Anteo

Yup, that is what I was referencing.

They clearly had a point where she was completely playable in the game and likely had a much larger role in the story. After fan outcry they likely took this section out which explains why a portion of the opening story feels a little empty.

What do you mean by fan outcry? I really don't remember them showing her that much until close to release. I agree that they had planned something different for her at the begining, or a flashback scene line Neiteo said.

That's... hard to believe. Lv. 50 is the max level a player/weapon can reach, as well. It's one thing for a Lv. 50 player to one-shot a Lv. 1 monster (I presume that's what you mean by "destroying"), but to one-shot a Lv. 50? Even the most spectacular stat spread and the full number of equippable slots probably wouldn't power up a weapon that much.

Well he could have gotten one of the legendary weapons at level 50, wich as we know is really hard to get, and those weapons do so much damage that they last for 15 levels before being outclassed by the regular one.s

Neiteio

What do you mean by fan outcry? I really don't remember them showing her that much until close to release. I agree that they had planned something different for her at the begining, or a flashback scene line Neiteo said.
A flashback scene seems likely. Start it halfway through the campaign, a flashback to the past, leading Rachel up to the moment of her death. (Not a spoiler, was in all the prerelease media.) That would explain why her sequence had advanced mechanics like swimming and Sea Creepers.

Well he could have gotten one of the legendary weapons at level 50, wich as we know is really hard to get, and those weapons do so much damage that they last for 15 levels before being outclassed by the regular one.s
That's true. Hmm.

Btw, for those who don't know, there's NO TIME LIMIT in Raid. You're free to take your time, and Ghost Ship, in particular, is -excellent- for exploration.

Riposte

I can't recall if he was one-shotting monsters, but he was making quick work of them nevertheless. Is the arena with the waves of enemies on the helicopter (?) pad the "true exit"?

EDIT: Indeed, mature adult men don't really like T&A. Thanks for reminding me guy named "superfamicom" with a cartoony graphic of a several decade old console marketed to children.

SystemBug

Because secretly gamers [or most men in general] are horny and like boobs.

Personally I would have liked to see a much more practically designed suit for Rachel but I'm not entirely opposed to what we have. It irks me to an extent, but I don't mind looking at it.

It's in internal struggle we all go through.

Neiteio

I can't recall if he was one-shotting monsters, but he was making quick work of them nevertheless. Is the arena with the waves of enemies on the helicopter (?) pad the "true exit"?
Yeah, the deck. You fight shitloads of enemies, like multiple chainsaw monsters, slugs, dogs, hunters, giant shellfish, and three (!!!) Rachels at once, etc, plus a supersized version of the final boss. That's one hell of a battle, so that's impressive if he handled it effortlessly.

I don't doubt you. I would just say, it's rare to get one's mitts on weapons so powerful, so I don't think the loot system is broken or anything.

Anteo

I belive that's the path, I didn't get there myself but a couple of friends did in a streetpass meeting we had. Also as said, there are some legendary weapons that deal huge amount of damage compared to the regular ones (though they have some drawbacks, they are still really really good) so it's probable that you saw that. Good luck getting one though, I remember gaffers in the OT that didn't get any for a long time.

Neiteio

I belive that's the path, I didn't get there myself but a couple of friends did in a streetpass meeting we had. Also as said, there are some legendary weapons that deal huge amount of damage compared to the regular ones (though they have some drawbacks, they are still really really good) so it's probable that you saw that. Good luck getting one though, I remember gaffers in the OT that didn't get any for a long time.
I have one of each legendary weapon, but getting high-level versions -- and ones with the maximum number of slots for loading up perks -- is another story altogether.

I think I remember someone taking a picture of a Lv. 50 Pale Rider with like eight slots. :O

Neiteio

I want to get this for my PC but play it with my WiiU GamePad. :-\

That controller is a joy to hold. But on PC, I can F12 F12 F12.

pRWYw8Z.jpg

^^^ Need this in high-quality!

DigitalOp

Banned
Do you guys think this game will be better on HD twins or should this be saved as an inevitable $20 future Wii U purchase??

We all know this decision comes down to if the Wii U version decides to chug or not :X

Neiteio

Do you guys think this game will be better on HD twins or should this be saved as an inevitable $20 future Wii U purchase??

We all know this decision comes down to if the Wii U version decides to chug or not :X
Wha? The WiiU version will be fine. The system is as powerful as PS3 and 360, and since the port is being made for all three simultaneously, it shouldn't be a case like Arkham City where there are performance issues converting from one to the other. The real question is, are there enough bells and whistles to the PC version to justify it over the WiiU version, which has some features I find alluring (the controller, Miiverse/Creature Voices, touchscreen -- an excellent feature in the 3DS original).

I mean, shit -could- go wrong, but I'd say it stands a better chance of turning out right than, say, a year-late last-minute rush-job port.

Grief.exe

I have one of each legendary weapon, but getting high-level versions -- and ones with the maximum number of slots for loading up perks -- is another story altogether.

I think I remember someone taking a picture of a Lv. 50 Pale Rider with like eight slots. :O

Raid mode sounds like an RPG.

I am starting to get interested.

DigitalOp

Banned
Actually, I just realized the Wii U servers will be on longer so its more wise to buy this for the little console that could

Neiteio

Raid mode sounds like an RPG.

I am starting to get interested.
It really is. Lemme break down Raid Mode for you:

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's no time limit in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. Twenty-one levels, three difficulty levels, 10 characters (now 12 with HUNK and Rachel, and who knows what else).

And Ghost Ship is INCREDIBLE. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

Neiteio

Actually, I just realized the Wii U servers will be on longer so its more wise to buy this for the little console that could
I think, barring any performance issues, I'll get the WiiU version for the controller and exclusive features, and then get the PC version later when it's like $10 on Steam.

In the meanwhile I'll do a Hell playthrough on the 3DS version, lol.

Grief.exe

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's no time limit in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. Twenty-one levels, three difficulty levels, 10 characters (now 12 with HUNK and Rachel, and who knows what else).

And Ghost Ship is INCREDIBLE. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

Sounds almost like an action Rouge-like in some ways, right up my alley.

If you are worried about BC and server longevity, then PC is the way to go. Likely its just a P2P connection, so you can use a tunneling program like Hamachi 20 years from now.

I suppose Ninendo is a distant second in the console space though, they are pretty avid supporters of BC.

Neiteio

Man, thinking about how awesome Raid is, I realize all the more how much Capcom needs to make a standalone game with both Raid AND Mercs, featuring characters and locations from all RE titles.

Riposte

Man, thinking about how awesome Raid is, I realize all the more how much Capcom needs to make a standalone game with both Raid AND Mercs, featuring characters and locations from all RE titles.

As long as they keep that skinner box crap out of The Mercenaries.

Ridley327

My understanding is that Raid Mode in the HD version is getting a total rebalance, which it would need anyway because of new enemies and new weapons. I imagine that they're probably going to make it a lot more difficult to get overly powerful early on.

Neiteio

My understanding is that Raid Mode in the HD version is getting a total rebalance, which it would need anyway because of new enemies and new weapons. I imagine that they're probably going to make it a lot more difficult to get overly powerful early on.
Slowing down player growth also allows them to pace the unlocks better. I imagine they will have more level-based unlocks, what with the new characters, weapons and parts they've promised.

@MUWANdo

Banned

MH3U and Revelations run on the same version of MT Framework, don't they? I don't see why there'd be any performance issues on Wii U.

Neiteio

MH3U and Revelations run on the same version of MT Framework, don't they? I don't see why there'd be any performance issues on Wii U.
MT Framework seems beautifully scalable in general. I'm assuming RER used it like most current-gen Capcom productions, correct?

@MUWANdo

Banned
MT Framework seems beautifully scalable in general. I'm assuming RER used it like most current-gen Capcom productions, correct?

I wanna say it used MT Framework Mobile just like both versions of MH3U, but I can't be arsed to boot my copy of the game and check.

Nemesis_

What a beautiful post.

iBptwV0ypf982.gif

I liked Raid mode but I could never put into words what it was, exactly.

Seik

Banned
Damn Capcom. You can almost feel how those will overly jiggle in the final product.

Getting Wii U version.

Grief.exe

Are the items you collect in Raid mode persistent across subsequent attempts?

Or do you start with the same inventory every time?

If anyone is interested, here is the Steam Achievements list.

I don't know if the xbox achievements or trophies have been leaked.

We'll Find You, Jill 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Episodes 1 - 3.
Get Us Out of Here! 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Episodes 4 - 6.
The Queen Zenobia 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Episodes 7 - 9.
The Storm is Gone 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Episodes 10 - 12.
The Dark Forest 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Casual difficulty or higher.
The Shores of Purgatory 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Normal difficulty or higher.
The Vestibule of Hell 【CAMPAIGN】Clear Infernal difficulty.
Surviving Deep Darkness 【CAMPAIGN】Clear the game in Normal difficulty or above without dying once.
First Victim 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 1 hidden hand print.
Traces of Tragedy 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 15 hidden hand prints.
Last Victim 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 30 hidden hand prints.
Researcher 【CAMPAIGN】Scan an enemy for the first time.
Research Complete 【CAMPAIGN】Scan all enemy types.
B.O.W. Hunter 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 150 enemies.
Living on the Edge 【CAMPAIGN】Stop an enemy bullet with your knife.
By the Crosshairs 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat Rachael before she gets to the cafeteria.
Bamboozle the Oozes 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 10 Oozes with headshots.
Die Another Day 【CAMPAIGN】Evade a Scagdead's instant-death attack.
Triple Play 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 3 enemies with one shock grenade.
A Packaged Deal 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat a Scarmiglione as a whole without killing both parts of its body separately.
Rockets are for Losers 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat a Malacoda without using a rocket launcher.
The Pool Is Open 【CAMPAIGN】Swim in the Solarium.
Dodge Master 【CAMPAIGN】Dodge 20 times.
Angry Fist 【CAMPAIGN】Land 10 fully charged physical attacks.
First Circle Traveler 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Chasm.
Midland Traveler 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Trench.
Seventh Circle Traveler 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Abyss.
First Circle Overseer 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Chasm with an S rank.
Midland Overseer 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Trench with an S rank.
Seventh Circle Overseer 【RAID MODE】Clear all stages in Raid mode on Abyss with an S rank.
Beyond the Veil 【RAID MODE】Clear the bonus stage, The Ghost Ship.
On Your Way 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 5.
Moving on Up 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 10.
Reaching Higher 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 20.
Raising the Bar 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 30.
Meteoric Rise 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 40.
Top of My Game 【RAID MODE】Reach player level 50.
One for Each Minnesota Lake 【RAID MODE】Defeat 10,000 enemies.
That'll Leave a Mark 【RAID MODE】Inflict 100,000 points of damage to an enemy in one hit.
Dynamic Duo 【RAID MODE】Land a fully charged physical attack on an enemy at the same time as your partner.
Legendary Find 【RAID MODE】Obtain a super rare weapon.
Legends Are Made, Not Born 【RAID MODE】Obtain all super rare weapons.
Shop 'til Ya Drop 【RAID MODE】Spend 1,000,000 BP in the store.
The Unbroken Thread 【RAID MODE】Acquire No Damage Bonus for the first time.
Gutsy 【RAID MODE】Clear a stage at 5 levels lower than the recommended level.
Three is the Magic Number 【RAID MODE】Acquire Trinity Bonus for the first time.
Bonus Enthusiast 【RAID MODE】Acquire 10 bonuses.
Bonus Ace 【RAID MODE】Acquire 50 bonuses.
Bonus Legend 【RAID MODE】Acquire 100 bonuses.
Bonus Demi-god 【RAID MODE】Acquire 150 bonuses.

Sectus

Are the items you collect in Raid mode persistent across subsequent attempts?

Or do you start with the same inventory every time?

If anyone is interested, here is the Steam Achievements list.

I don't know if the xbox achievements or trophies have been leaked.
Items are persistent. The system is very similar to some online RPGs. You have a lobby where you manage your inventory and choose which items to equip, and then you choose which mission to enter.

I personally wish they would add some kind of "balanced" option for Raid mode where your level and equipment level becomes locked based on which mission you're playing. My biggest problem with Raid mode is that everything becomes too easy in the long run. Going back to previous missions isn't really an option once as you level up (you'll literally one shot everything), and even the last mission becomes rather easy once you've maxed your level and found good equipment. This also makes it extremely hard to play with friends who are not the same level as you.

Well, there is also that PC version where an average PC will likely be able to run it at 60fps even at ludicrous resolutions.

Krelian

Raid mode sounds awesome. Will definitely get this game. For the record, I liked RE6.

Am I correct in assuming that this game doesn't feature a Mercenaries mode? Would be great if both extra modes were included, but Raid alone would be alright I guess.

EDIT: Another question: do levels affect all your characters in Raid mode or can you level up each of them individually?

Sectus

Raid mode sounds awesome. Will definitely get this game. For the record, I liked RE6.

Am I correct in assuming that this game doesn't feature a Mercenaries mode? Would be great if both extra modes were included, but Raid alone would be alright I guess.

EDIT: Another question: do levels affect all your characters in Raid mode or can you level up each of them individually?

There's no mercs mode in Revelations (as a side note, if you want more mercs content, I'd suggest looking into RE6 PC as it'll get mercs no mercy and I'm sure there will be mods adding variants to mercs stages).

Level is shared between all characters. You can actually choose to play at a lower level than you are. I guess they implemented that so it can be more balanced when playing with lower level friends; however, it has little effect considering the equipment is what primarily affects how powerful you are.

This is all based on the 3DS version though, so maybe they've changed things.

Neiteio

Yeah, it's important to note, if you ever find yourself feeling "too powerful" in Raid, or if you're mismatched to your friends in terms of level, you can actually DIAL DOWN your level, all the way back to lv. 1.

Then you won't be able to equip your high-level weapons, and you'll only be able to buy low-level weapons in the store. You can always dial your level back up, of course. Right now, I've dialed my lv. 50 character down to lv. 6 as I accompany my brother through Raid.

Also, regarding the store: The store is in the lobby, and the currency you spend is called BP. Want more BP, beyond what you get per enemy in each mission? Be sure to scour each Raid level for the secret "puffer fish" enemy, and shoot for bonuses like Genocide (kill all enemies).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Considering the effort put into the Wii U version (except for the remote + nunchak control scheme, still missing) I could pick it up even if I already enjoyed it on 3DS. But not at launch full price for sure.

Gambit

BTW: Was it mentioned anywhere if the Wii U version has gyro aiming?

Just curious, as it was my preferred control method for 3DS (and would work so well with Off-TV play).

In the absence of IR aiming, it would be a very nice alternative.

Top Bottom