• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Dicer

Banned
Good on Microsoft. When the situation called for it, they opened up their wallet.

It is what Sony should have done for MH on the Vita and Nintendo for the... well... something more than Bayonetta on Wii U...

PS.: I couldn't care less about Titanfall as game, so the exclusion deal is meaningless to me as gamer.

Moneyhatting is and always will be a shitty practice....as a gamer I can tell you your opinion is horrible and part of what's wrong with the industry.

nib95

Banned
Oh EA... Lol. Keep siding with the console that is most likely going to fare a lot worse this generation compared to its main competitor. EA losing Respawn money. Peter Moore's doing?

And then publishers wonder why they get such a shit rap most of the time. Note to Respawn: Make your millions and self-publish next time.

gioGAF

The worst part is, I think this is what we are looking at going forward this gen. The only way xbone will get the best console version of a game is if it is the ONLY console version of said game.

I don't really care about this particular game, but it is a shame for those who were hoping to play it on other systems (PS4 or WiiU?). As always, this type of deal is a negative for gamers. No one gets anything they wouldn't have gotten, but some people lose an option.

Can't wait for EA to come out with another press release that they're not "picking a side" and how they have a "great relationship" with Sony.

Moneyhatting is and always will be a shitty practice....as a gamer I can tell you your opinion is horrible and part of what's wrong with the industry.

Ok.

Here's a SERIOUS QUESTION that nobody has answered.

When Respawn BEFORE E3 said that MS was supporting their server costs by givng them ad eal on the Azure servers, was that moneyhatting?

UberTag

They can't catch a break, get fucked by EA, run to Activision, get fucked by them, run back to EA...
The lesson for developers and consumers alike is that unless you enjoy getting fucked over don't do business with Activision OR EA.

Thankfully for both of those companies is that doesn't rule out too many of us.

USC-fan

Banned
I wonder how much time was now wasted working on a PS4 version. I guess that work and knowledge can be put toward Titanfall 2, at least.

Thought they put the game on source engine because it ran the ps3 well. Wonder how much the source engine holds back the game and now they dont even have a ps3 version coming. Really the game does not look next gen at all.

Just crazy.....

I mean business is business but fucking over the studio you hired because the last publsiher they had fucked them over isnt exactly a smart thing to do.

But then again EA partners is dead for a reason.

Clairvoyant Cass time

Jason West left because he saw the writing on the wall. EA made the first timed-exclusive deal behind their backs as well. West got the hell out of dodge because he realized EA was the same old EA.

Pop

He's probably upset over the money he would have made coming to Ps4. Microsoft must have dropped off a couple of truck loads to EA's office.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably not. I'd love to see this contract. Maybe they're planning a 'TitanFall Black' for March '15.
Yeah, I don't think it will be, either. One game every two years at most. Which, if I'm right, means the PS4 won't see a Titanfall title until 2016. :-(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, question...

Because its a EA partners game, Respawn still owns the IP, right? After the deal for the first game is over, they can do whatever the fuck they want down the line?

EA Partners works that EA gets publishing rights to the first sequel.

That said the implication here is obviously that they intend to go multiplatform with it for the sequel.

You can't reclaim the throne when your publisher fucks you by cutting your possible audience in half. I hope they get some of that MS money from EA.

CfIXHnr.jpg

Perfect.

What's so shitty about it?

It was a business decision.
You can have your cold, business oriented world view. But please try to understand that the creators just want people to play their game, and enjoy it. And now they're going to have to take into consideration that PS4 customers won't know what the fuck is going on in future Titanfall games.

Ok.

When Respawn BEFORE E3 said that MS was supporting their server costs by givng them ad eal on the Azure servers, was that moneyhatting?

Microsoft claims that dedicated servers are a resource all devs are allowed to use for free on Xbox One.

Barzul

There you go, Titanfall 2 in 2015 for the PS4 confirmed.

CBoaT was telling the truth about 1 year exclusive.

Your twisting it to fit your view. He was probably right at the time about Titanfall, but it was always Titanfall not Titanfall 2. I doubt we'll be seeing the next Titanfall till 2016 at least. Going off EA's shooter rotation, Battlefront is next.

Ok.

Not really. MS has vested interest in Azure. It could've easily been seen as a move to boost Azure and not so much pre-moneyhatting

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Like I said, the day EA will be closed it will a good day for gaming. But keep buying their games, they are really innovating next gen too.

It's cool to have a PC as any-gen too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really weird to think all MS did was dump millions of dollars just to kill the PS4 version from being developed.

Good on Microsoft. When the situation called for it, they opened up their wallet.

It is what Sony should have done for MH on the Vita and Nintendo for the... well... something more than Bayonetta on Wii U...

PS.: I couldn't care less about Titanfall as game, so the exclusion deal is meaningless to me as gamer.

It's nothing like the Bayonetta 2 situation. That's Nintendo paying for an exclusive that wouldn't have been made without them. This is, it appears, MS paying, or at least coming to some arrangement, to actively stop a game coming to other platforms, which is really shitty.

Skeff

Oh EA... Lol. Keep siding with the console that is most likely going to fare a lot worse this generation compared to its main competitor. EA losing Respawn money. Peter Moore's doing?

Can you imagine if EA had sided with Sony and there was all of the EA exclusivity on PS4 instead of XB1, it would be a bloodbath....

EA are saving Microsoft.

entremet

You can have your cold, business oriented world view. But please try to understand that the creators just want people to play their game, and enjoy it. And now they're going to have to take into consideration that PS4 customers won't know what the fuck is going on in future Titanfall games.

Only the first game is exclusive. Video game sequels always get better.

Kade

It's funny that they're independent and own the Titanfall IP but shit like this happens anyways. Vince can't catch a break.

KaiserBecks

Why are you guys assuming MS wouldn't want to moneyhat a sequel as well (if Titanfall turns out to be super successful, that is)? Them not having a deal for multiple titles only ensures a stronger basis of negotiation for EA/Respawn next time.

Top Bottom