• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

What's so shitty about it?

It was a business decision.

Too bad it doesnt help the Developers of the game in anyway. This business decision was made over their heads it seems and I doubt they'll be getting a cut of whatever marketing/moneyhat deal EA got for it

Samyy

But the developer in this case doesn't hold the rights to the IP.

They own the IP bro.
They do not own the publishing rights, however they can make sure that if succesful EA never sees another Titanfall game again I suppose if they really want to.
I mean if they really adamant about going multi-platform that is.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It's nothing like the Bayonetta 2 situation. That's Nintendo paying for an exclusive that wouldn't have been made without them. This is, it appears, MS paying, or at least coming to some arrangement, to actively stop a game coming to other platforms, which is really shitty.

EXCLUSIVES THIRD PARTIES, HOW DO THEY WORK!!!!!

People are making a big deal out of nothing.

KissVibes

Banned
Moneyhatting is and always will be a shitty practice....as a gamer I can tell you your opinion is horrible and part of what's wrong with the industry.

Why even have consoles then? Why not just put everything on PC?

There's nothing wrong with a console manufacturer making their console more appealing by securing games for it.

eot

Banned
EA Partners works that EA gets publishing rights to the first sequel.

That said the implication here is obviously that they intend to go multiplatform with it for the sequel.

Do they get the rights or just first right of refusal?

Lamptramp

I'm not surprised that this is how it went down given Microsofts pummelling recently, would be just like them (and EA).

Initially though I was shocked to think, given their history, that Respawn would be party to it. Nice to see that they weren't, although shitty for them that they can't get their game out on more systems. Poor buggers.

This, wow. That's some straight up fucking honesty there. I really appreciate it personally. Now the record is straight. If you want TF get a One.

or.... play it in 1080p on your PC?

No one should buy a console that broken; due to one game. That's an expensive game.

Wow, so they've already declared the sequel's coming to PS4 before the original even hits?

*Cue the sound of a thousand Microsoft employees smacking their foreheads*

Josman

So instead of expanding and improving first party studios for the rest of the generation, Microsoft decides to go all out on buying exclusivity for the first game of a new IP just to build an install base faster, shitty move if you ask me, it's just basically paying EA to screw ps4 gamers.

hal9001

Banned
This issue certainly seems to have riled up a few people. A word of caution, don't go into IGN comments section on the news article about this story.

I genuinely don't understand the hype of this game. It hasn't even received a single review yet. People are just assuming it's going to be good, it looks pretty generic to me. Playstation has been getting quality exclusives regularly since forever, now xbox gets one promising looking exclusive for the first time in so long (and isn't even coming from MS themselves, which says it all).. and suddenly all xbots get erect over it. Is this what years of next to no exclusives does to someone? Desperat xbots grasp on to anything to feel a sense of superiority, even a generic shooter, crazy :s

Barzul

Oh EA... Lol. Keep siding with the console that is most likely going to fare a lot worse this generation compared to its main competitor. EA losing Respawn money. Peter Moore's doing?

Thing is no one knows that for sure, it's moves like this that keeps MS in the running. They show they are very willing to moneyhat the next big thing. From now on Titanfall will always be associated with Xbox. Kind of like COD is now.

EA Partners works that EA gets publishing rights to the first sequel.

That said the implication here is obviously that they intend to go multiplatform with it for the sequel.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they're the ones who decide that. If this move becomes even remotely successful MS will make it rain for the sequel too.

Cels

i really don't understand. Vince is the BOSS of respawn right? how can EA just go ahead and make an exclusivity deal with MS without his approval?

"we only found out recently" says to me that respawn had no input on the decision. how can they get strongarmed like this?

I guess this the right thread for me to state that I've never liked the look of EA's new CEO Andrew Wilson. Something is just not right with him. Empty. Like a corporate Übermensch.

I can imagine he was happy with this.

Why are you guys assuming MS wouldn't want to moneyhat a sequel as well (if Titanfall turns out to be super successful, that is)? Them not having a deal for multiple titles only ensures a stronger basis of negotiation for EA/Respawn next time.

Reading Vince's tweets would suggest that they're pushing for multiplatform (not just MS platforms) for the sequel. He specifically mentions that Titanfall isn't a MS exclusive franchise and that this is just for the first game.

I knew the possibility of this game on the PS4 was to good to be true. Makes me roll my eyes even harder at all the people who were 100% convinced it was coming to the PS4 a year later.

I knew it. This generation's Gears of War.

teiresias

EA will do anything to help MS bring about the DRM-laden future that they thought they'd finally get from this console generation - including screwing over their own devs by making exclusive deals at the expense of gamers.

I've said for a while, anyone that supports EA as a publisher is actively helping to ruin the games industry.

I don't get where all of this titan 2 on ps4 is coming from. Vince tweeted something vague in response and you jumped into a hundred scenarios. It was just revealed vince had no idea about the recent deal so that gives you some perspective that he doesn't have any control on the publisher. Who freaking know what TF2 will bring...maybe MS will make another deal to keep it XB1 exclusive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So instead of expanding and improving first party studios for the rest of the generation, Microsoft decides to go all out on buying exclusivity for the first game of a new IP just to build an install base faster, shitty move if you ask me, it's just basically paying EA to screw ps4 gamers.
Titanfall is the next water cooler

I thought Respawn owned the IP? what am I missing here?

They have sold the publishing rights for TitanFall to EA, at least for the first game in the series.

I guess this will push them either into self publishing for the next title, or to ensure that a multi-platform release is guaranteed in the next contract.

The worst part is that Respawn probably won't see a penny of the cash that just went from MS to EA given the manner in which they have been blindsided by the move.

With MS so desperate right now to differentiate their Q1 line up, especially now that a AAA SCE title has slipped to the timeframe, they had to be sure that the game would now be exclusive for its lifetime.

The other part of the deal is that it leaves Respawn open to being pushed out of the PS4 by Bungie, especially with Sony and Bungie's relationship with regards to Destiny. It could be a situation where TitanFall as a franchise will sell best on the smaller installed base when it goes multiplatform due to familiarity with a competing franchise on PS4.

Also, MS must be absolutely 100% certain that the game is a certified AAA system seller. I would go as far as to say they must put it in a "quadruple A" category for them to splash the cash and risk investor ire like this.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Really weird to think all MS did was dump millions of dollars just to kill the PS4 version from being developed.
They're using Titanfall as a crutch big time. They're betting on it being the next big competitive FPS, and I think they're right.

So it sounds like MS paid extra recently to make Titanfall 1 100% exclusive instead of timed exclusive.

Poor EA. Finally get their COD killer then they throw it away on the console that will be in a distant 2nd place.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I really feel bad for Respawn Entertainment :(

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So does respawn get none of this exclusivity money?

Zamp implying this is not what he wanted but surely he gets some of the scrilla no?

Top Bottom