• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Internal report: Trump border 'wall' to cost $21.6 billion, take 3.5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeelPower

Is it just gonna be fences ? Oh I was hoping for something more along these lines.

We be reaching for the stars with that wall!
d4a7cb9ca955e5d0a8a74e50a54e7c62d250c26e_hq.jpg

jiiikoo

Banned
Is it just gonna be fences ? Oh I was hoping for something more along these lines.

d4a7cb9ca955e5d0a8a74e50a54e7c62d250c26e_hq.jpg

Don't worry, in due time, you'll get a cool ice wall on the Canada-US border.

Are there any official details on how high the wall is supposed to be? Or its maximum height?

The tallest, most beautiful and un-jumpable or un-underdiggable wall ever created. Higher than the chinese one! That one is sad!

Lucreto

It won't be built under the Trump presidency even if he manages 8 years. Firstly people's property extend right to the boarder in some places and the Government either have to buy the land or seize it in a compulsory purchase order if that is a thing in the US. If going through Texas it might be a problem with its laws on property rights.

Abelard

I hope the dems demolish it

That's actually an interesting question... say the wall does get built and the Democrats get back in power in the white house and congress (hypothetically speaking), would they actually demolish it with how much (money, time etc.) already went into it?

I think it would be cheapter to have a squadron of mini AI drones constantly patrolling the border.

Or you can build one giant robot with that money. Just saying.

The thing that worries me the most is Trump's insistence that it is going to get done in 3 1/2 years. I wouldn't put it past Trump if down the road he forces illegal immigrants to build the wall. They will even get to stay at these special camps nearby the wall when they are not building the wall. He'll justify that it is cost efficient and they have to pay their dues for being in this country illegally. His base will eat it up.

RinsFury

The thing that worries me the most is Trump's insistence that it is going to get done in 3 1/2 years. I wouldn't put it past Trump if down the road he forces illegal immigrants to build the wall. They will even get to stay at these special camps nearby the wall when they are not building the wall. He'll justify that it is cost efficient and they have to pay their dues for being in this country illegally. His base will eat it up.

I can see him getting his pal Joe Arpaio to oversee construction using enslaved refugees and immigrants.

GHG

Think of all the money you will get back from tourism in 50 years when this thing is more popular than the great wall of China.

Worth it.

pswii60

For a non-American, can someone explain what is separating Mexico and the US right now? Surely a Mexican can't just randomly wander across the border or vice versa. There must be some kind of fencing with barbed wire etc. Is the wall really going to make much of a difference? Is it common to have border breaches?

wandering

Banned
For a non-American, can someone explain what is separating Mexico and the US right now? Surely a Mexican can't just randomly wander across the border or vice versa. There must be some kind of fencing with barbed wire etc. Is the wall really going to make much of a difference? Is it common to have border breaches?

Some of it is fenced but not all of it. And yeah, people climbing the fences is pretty common anyways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico–United_States_border

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico–United_States_barrier

Belstras

I don't get why most white ff fans are always hating on brown or mexican people. "Oh no brown people in our country oh no" etc etc like big deal, you don't like them ok so?

ICO_SotC

That's actually an interesting question... say the wall does get built and the Democrats get back in power in the white house and congress (hypothetically speaking), would they actually demolish it with how much (money, time etc.) already went into it?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this for a while.

Does the next Democratic nominee pledge to tear it down no matter the cost, which leaves that nominee open to Republican attacks of wasting taxpayer money and leaving the country less safe, or leave whatever is built as is, and let "Finish the Wall" be an ongoing campaign slogan for Republicans forever?

It feels like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation, which is why I hope next to nothing gets accomplished.

TACPhilly

Banned
I would just love to see what it would look like and how it would operate. i'd be very surprised if it was literally just a wall, without any sophistication to it.

Still not convinced a wall is even necessary let alone Mexico ever paying for it.

bidguy

Banned
i thought the wall was just something he could pull the votes of idiots with but hes actually going through with it lol

Nerazar

We'll pay mexico to build it for us!

All of Trumps building projects were on time and on budget, it's true, look it up, folks. No taxpayer money ever wasted. So on budget, so on time.

Why do I get the feeling that Easy D will really use his business or his (former) business partners to build the wall? And that this project will drag on like the Berlin airport BER (don't look it up, it's a disgrace).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
i thought the wall was just something he could pull the votes of idiots with but hes actually going through with it lol

Well, he's certainly trying to look like he's going through with it. I still doubt it ever gets built.

Phased

I'll be shocked if this is even past the planning stages in 4 years. It's also a government project so you can be nearly positive that if it does go through it'll cost way more than the quote and probably take three times as long

I would just love to see what it would look like and how it would operate. i'd be very surprised if it was literally just a wall, without any sophistication to it.

Still not convinced a wall is even necessary let alone Mexico ever paying for it.

Given what we know about Trump, he will probably go all out, he sees the wall as a representation of himself, he wants it to be as grand as possible and will spare no expense. (Yes, that means the cost is probably way low)

Sunster

I guarantee in 15 years this thing will be as run down as the Olympic facilities in Rio. Future presidents will not pay to keep this useless structure fully staffed and maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom