• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor – CD Projekt RED To Sign A Publishing Deal Or Be Bought By Electronic Arts

How excited are you for this news?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vader-noooo.gif

VvbLWkK.gif

TRyF91N.gif

But this time everything will be alright. I mean, everything´s fine with, Bioware, Bullfrog, Maxis, Pandemic, Westwood, Criterion.....
DbTKOao.png

GavinUK86

Right....I don't understand why they would go through with this. Unless they feel held back right now and have ambitions to establish multiple studios releasing games every 2 years or so. Even then, didn't they establish a new studio recently?
lol they're not. it's false. that was my point.

Ok, now its time to throw some serious shade at this DSO dudes.

How can they drop such a (prob false) bomb on us??
It's not like DSO had any serious cred anyway.

CHC

From a financial standpoint, I doubt Bioware was ever stronger than as of now. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are major names in the industry which pushed them very high, and both were created under EA. Whatever you may think of the quality of their more recent games is subjective, but saying anything about EA ruining Bioware is factually incorrect.

Well there really isn't any objective truth here. but I don't agree at all with that.

The games that really change the industry and go on to be copied are rarely ones driven only by finance. Games like Minecraft, Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, etc, are not made with financial decisions coming before creative ones.

Bioware's games have become homogenized and forgettable. 10 years from now no one is going to be making comparisons by saying "oh yeah it's this generations's Dragon Age Inquisition!" If you go back and play KOTOR or Baldur's Gate, Bioware's creative decline is really noticeable. Maybe they are more financially sound now, but that's not the basis of what drives change or enrichment of the industry.

NastyBook

Making a deal with a developer that's getting ready to put an entire racing game online only for no real reason?

Glad that got squashed.

This is the worst gaming news history I've heard in the past decade. :(

Gah damit CD Projejekt. I supported all these years by buying drectly from GOG, and voting with my money. And now you go off and do this shit.

iNvid02

"Our management is probably talking with Electronic Arts about potential take over. Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting our studio and meeting with top management."

aka, I saw someone with a visitor badge that said EA on it walking around and TIME TO GO INSANE.

its kind of comforting knowing some people at CDPR jump to conclusions as fast as us

bombshell

No worries here, EA execs are just visiting CDPR because they want to run all their studios the same as CDPR run their business.......... right? :(

ptolemy

Don't worry guys, I actually work for EA and we're moving away from game publishing and towards the new and exciting realm of faecal transplantation.

True story.

Usobuko

Banned
Probably a better time for the owners to cash out would be after Cyber Punk but there's a risk to it too.

No one resist billion dollar paycheck.

Right now, in terms of awfulness, I am finding it a close call between CDPR being bought by EA and having to scroll past yet more wanky meme images in this thread.

Things that CD Projekt may be interested in meeting EA people for:

- More EA games on GOG
- Publishing deal for Cyberpunk (note: EA published retail copies of Valve games, no problem with Steam)
- GOG shuts down, everything goes to Origin now, it's all over :(

Usobuko

Banned
It's a pretty good strategy acquisition for EA too due to CD Projekt's GoG on PC digital platform.

Notch probably went for $2.5m after watching Palmer Luckey $2m deal Oculus price tag. Come on, ask for $3 Billion, CD Project Owners.

Pejo

Gold Member
Boy am I glad I didn't adopt GOG.com to buy a lot of digital content. I'll download Witcher 3 so I can have that, but if this is true, GOG is gonzo.

KingBroly

Banned
Things that CD Projekt may be interested in meeting EA people for:

- More EA games on GOG
- Publishing deal for Cyberpunk (note: EA published retail copies of Valve games, no problem with Steam)
- GOG shuts down, everything goes to Origin now, it's all over :(

This is the most likely outcome.

The fake rumor is about CDPR which is the gaming subsidiary owned under CDP, GOG is a different subsidiary under CDP. EA won't get their hands on on GOG unless they buy out the whole of CDP itself.

We started hearing about previous EA buyouts through "fake rumors" as well, hence the jitters.

Good to know about the CDP/GOG distinction

Dinda

The fun thing is, if this would really be true, we wouldn't even get more or the same amounts of Big RPGs as today, they would probably only take a slot every 3 years that would otherwise be a Bioware game.

Can't have two big RPGs in one fiscal year.
Quality will go down, and we would probably see less (as to EA and CDP alone). Hooray!

EA to buy GOG. Not CDPR.
"Now introducing Origin Classics. It's a rebranding of the GOG you've come to love with new exciting features! Share your purchases, your screenshots and your status on every social network! Your favorite twenty year old game will always be up to date thanks to the permanent connection to our servers! (requires an Internet connection to run)

Top Bottom