• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A digital only Xbox One might be in Microsoft's 2016 plans.

ZOONAMI

Unless they can get cable companies to drop caps, this is pointless. ANd also come with a 2tb+ hard drive. Took me 2 days to download battlefront and that's getting 10mbs steady

10mb/s comes out to 36gb in an hour if my math is right (10*60)*60=36000mb=36gb. So no.

Sydle

That's all nice in theory. In practice they are distinctly different stores with very different requirements, albeit with simple porting.

That's exactly what Spencer was talking about at GDC earlier this year and Myserson (Head of Windows) at Build. They are trying to make it more simple to compile for multiple devices from a single source code. Spencer said in some situations it's as easy as ticking a check box in the compiler to take something from a PC to Xbox One.

They're obviously working to make it a reality.

There are already several unified apps with more on the way. Soon we'll have unified games, I think KI is the first in March.

obear

Banned
10mb/s comes out to 36gb in an hour if my math is right (10*60)*60=36000mb=36gb. So no.

Well I'm saying that's what my download speed is on my pc, doesn't mean that's what it downloads at on wifi via xbox live...and having to turn it off when youre not there so the house doesn't burn down. I mean I'm not lying that it took me 2 days..

krang

That's exactly what Spencer was talking about at GDC earlier this year and Myserson (Head of Windows) at Build. They are trying to make it more simple to compile for multiple devices from a single source code. Spencer said in some situations it's as easy as ticking a check box in the compiler to take something from a PC to Xbox One.

They're obviously working to make it a reality.

There are already several unified apps with more on the way. Soon we'll have unified games, I think KI is the first in March.

Unification just means it's a piece of cake to make a Windows Store game technically work on XB1. But the two stores will always be separate. I don't for one minute believe that certification on Xbox will be as simple as on the Windows Store.

This just seems to be a set top box like the fire TV or the Apple TV.
Seems like a smart move to me, people who would buy this wouldn't buy an Xbox since it would be too expensive.

Given the size of games is only increasing, average US data speeds and cap limits simply aren't good enough yet to go mainstream digital only. Anything short of a decade out is a niche product at best.

QaaQer

This just seems to be a set top box like the fire TV or the Apple TV.
Seems like a smart move to me, people who would buy this wouldn't buy an Xbox since it would be too expensive.

they need a $99 one if they want to compete with Apple/Google/Amazon for that sweet lock-in ecosystem money. A $250+ box that cant play discs makes no sense.

And I think some are way over estimating how much a BRdrive costs.

Sydle

Unification just means it's a piece of cake to make a Windows Store game technically work on XB1. But the two stores will always be separate. I don't for one minute believe that certification on Xbox will be as simple as on the Windows Store.

I guess we'll see how the Windows team moves forward soon enough.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why. Is a generic blu-ray drive that much of a cost concern that it'll make the thing 199$ all of a sudden?

Nah, I don't think they are this stupid.
People know that deals on physical games are often too good to pass up and people wouldn't want to be beholden to just Microsoft and it's online store offerings.

Xone9

Banned
Ive been calling for a $149 Xbox Mini that runs 360 digital games and windows store games. Throw in a 360 controller and you got a Apple TV, Steam Box competitor.

cebri.one

They would need another model and develop another manufacturing line. I don't know if it is worth the cost. They may well release a slim version of the actual XOne.

Ive been calling for a $149 Xbox Mini that runs 360 digital games and windows store games. Throw in a 360 controller and you got a Apple TV, Steam Box competitor.

This is a much better, more realistic idea... Drop that price to $99 and u got yourself a winner.

Chris1

Why. Is a generic blu-ray drive that much of a cost concern that it'll make the thing 199$ all of a sudden?

No but it means you're buying games off the windows store, thus more profit for MS per purchase which means they can afford to take a loss (or a bigger loss) on these consoles compared to normal ones with discs where they might never see a penny from game sales.

Heimbeck

Banned
Given the size of games is only increasing, average US data speeds and cap limits simply aren't good enough yet to go mainstream digital only. Anything short of a decade out is a niche product at best.

The only games will be mobile stuff, you wouldn't be able to play Forza or Crackdown on this.
It seems like this thing would mostly be for TV and films, not really focused on games.

KingJ2002

it's going to happen... for two reasons

1. Stop Apple TV from gaining ground in the living room.
2. Test the console market to see if a online only console will sell.

As far as limitations from ISP's and Pricing.

that could all change with this launching.

Microsoft could drop digital only prices to entice users to adapt.

They could also pair with other companies to force ISP hands.

either way... it's going to happen. I honestly think Nintendo is going to be the first to do it with the NX though.

cakely

We've heard this rumor before, and it still seems unlikely. Such a SKU would need at least a 1TB hd and be priced at $199 for this to be feasible.

Cranster

Banned
Don't matter. The fucking day 1 updates are bigger than the fucking game.

I remember when I used to just pop in the disc and play the fucking thing. Now I have to plan hours ahead.
That is simply not true.

As for this rumour I think it's just that, a rumour and one that is nothing but bullshit. The pricing alone doesn't make any sense. Microsoft already faced a massive backlash of trying to force an online only console on consumers and they rightfully so got kicked in the face for it.

SlickVic

It may be good if that somehow allows them to drop the price sub $200 (probably would need to cut out some other features as well as an optical drive can't add that much to the cost) but short of that, having a system that couldn't take advantage of all the deals on physical games (i.e. couldn't take advantage of Best Buy GCU Deals) wouldn't hold much appeal for me personally. But who knows, maybe it'll still move a lot of units.

RoKKeR

I'd probably buy one if there was some way to convert your outstanding physical games to digital, though I'm not convinced they could pull that off.

A smaller $199-$249 digital only model might do well. I would probably get it to replace my current Xbox One (all of my games this gen outside of Wii U are digital).

A Bluray drive doesn't cost $50+. You can buy a standalone retail one for less than that.

Somnia

That is simply not true.

As for this rumour I think it's just that, a rumour and one that is nothing but bullshit. The pricing alone doesn't make any sense. Microsoft already faced a massive backlash of trying to force an online only console on consumers and they rightfully so got kicked in the face for it.

This is completely different than that so do not compare the two.

Selling a digital only console is not the same as selling a digital and physical console that still forced you to go online for physical.

Of all the consoles, a digital-only X1 would be a terrible choice, seeing how they've already had issues with XBL going down or 3rd-party servers going down which prevented players from playing their games during the outage.

I'm a fan of Microsoft pushing the envelope on trying to create a digital only Xbox. Would I purchase one at this point? I would not unless my current Xbox crapped out on me.

There's going to be a group that will be against this for some reason or another. Don't see why it would be an issue for anyone since this is an optional purchase. This is not being forced on the person. You either get it or you don't. Simple as that.

I'm happy seeing Microsoft taking risks and hope in the long run that it pays off.

Roitorb

It's the price of the games that will kill it. I would go full digital in a heartbeat but the pricing structure has to change.

dr_rus

I don't see why anyone would prefer such XBO over a regular one. The cost of BD drive is minimal and the price difference will be small. The only reason to make one is to use a form factor which would not allow to fit a BD drive - but is this even something that anyone is interested in? I don't believe this rumor. Too little sense in such version of XBO.

How much does the xbone cost to manufacture now? 200$ in 2015 doesn't really sound out of the question to me if they think the ecosystem will compensate for the loss.
I don't see why anyone would prefer such XBO over a regular one. The cost of BD drive is minimal and the price difference will be small. The only reason to make one is to use a form factor which would not allow to fit a BD drive - but is this even something that anyone is interested in? I don't believe this rumor. Too little sense in such version of XBO.
I don't see them marketing this as an Xbox that doesn't play disc. This thing might not be called Xbox at all. It's a set top box, a competitor to Fire TV and Apple TV.

modalife

Banned
It would flop, if they do make such a thing.

If it's made to compete against Apple TV/Fire TV/Chromecast/etc., it won't farewell. MS doesn't have that brand loyalty and consumer confidence as Apple or even Samsung do (hardware-specific).

Apple TV isn't even selling that well, why would MS think they can do better? Unless they just want a product to pester Apple, then yea, it doesn't matter if it flops.

evilr

Banned
Why any of you would go digital baffles me and I will never understand. If you guys prefer to buy worthless assets rather than valuable physical tangibles then give your money to me instead.

Digital content is ludicrous. A digital-only Xbox One? What an industry nightmare.

It would flop, if they do make such a thing.

If it's made to compete against Apple TV/Fire TV/Chromecast/etc., it won't farewell. MS doesn't have that brand loyalty and consumer confidence as Apple or even Samsung do (hardware-specific).

Apple TV isn't even selling that well, why would MS think they can do better? Unless they just want a product to pester Apple, then yea, it doesn't matter if it flops.
Fire TV is doing fine iirc. There is obviously a big potential market for this thing because companies keep trying to make it work despite set top boxes not flying off the shelves. I think Roku, Fire TV and OG apple TVs sold well. That's about it.

Why any of you would go digital baffles me and I will never understand. If you guys prefer to buy worthless assets rather than valuable physical tangibles then give your money to me instead.

Digital content is ludicrous. A digital-only Xbox One? What an industry nightmare.
Convenience

Orca

I'd go for one as a second box for another room. Could shuttle games back and forth on the external HDD or just download them again - thanks Telus and that 100 down unlimited Optik!

Top Bottom