• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A digital only Xbox One might be in Microsoft's 2016 plans.

BumRush

A $199 2TB version might be attractive but still far too many people buying discs from the Walmarts of the world to be huge

Any BC game on the Xbox One has a digital version that you can purchase via the Xbox website and most of them are cheap, so if someone went with a digital-only Xbox One and really wanted to play a 360 game then there is an option to get it.

Additionally, a Gold sub can get you 2 free 360 games a month. As that BC list grows so does a user's digital library.

I think there were rumors about MS wanting to work those BC games into the Xbox One store. Can't find an official source though.

Personally speaking the majority of my BC games are digital games I own.
Dirt Showdown might have counted but it's coming to XBLG next month.

Valid concerns but...

1. Microsoft is still reportedly working on a azure based streaming service for their titles similar to Playstation Now. Offering that through the console would be a checkbox for "backwards compatibility"

2. They wont carry them in large quantities but major retailer such as target, Walmart, best buy, etc will carry plenty. stores like GameStop are on borrowed time anyway. A Digital only future is inevitable and this console could be a precursor to just that.

I can see these points. I have a fairly big back pile of 360 physical games (20+) so if I did pick up an Xbox One as a second console, I'd still side with the free BC option of the disc based version (if the games are supported by BC program). The prospect of buying them all over (even for pennies on the dollar) because I choose to go discless isn't a great sales pitch.

I tried PS Now and really not a fan of streaming services as they stand now, and my ISP would make a digital only solution a little less than optimal. That can change next gen, but as it stands now... not a fan of streaming.

Don't get me wrong, I am alright with being hooked up to broadband at the moment for some digital purchases but being wholly dependent on it as the only delivery system, I am not too optimistic about that.

krang

Why does digital only mean the death of games at retail? They could sell codes instead. That might also bring competition and better prices.

Teletraan1

Banned
How much $ is forgoing the internal disc drive going to save them on BOM? It cant cost them more than $10-$15 for each unit. I don't see this being that much cheaper and only limits your options. With the price of digital titles not cratering as fast as physical you would probably spend way more than the extra few bucks this is going to save you on the console on digital games or have to play some really old shit or live and die by flash sales just to break even. I say this as someone who hasn't had an optical drive in their PC for years. It is a totally different digital market between PC and console.

Isurus

I can see this happening, but they need better parity between digital and physical game prices. Digital prices, in general, are still higher and I can see that being upsetting to the segment of users that only can purchase digital. Can you imagine the backlash on Black Friday when physical copies of games can be had for $25-30 but the digital versions are still $40-60?

I'm pretty close to all digital this gen, but I admit that I get irritate from time to time when I see price differences.

Zedox

I don't see why people think this is going to bomb when a good number of users do go 100%. Discs will go the way of CDs for music and DVDs for movies. A lot of people will still buy those things but people will more and more use digital services. Having this as another SKU won't hurt anyone. Even if it is niche, you can still be profitable in niche devices. Also, you best believe next console generation around you'll see PS5/XBvNext that type of SKU. Having it in this generation doesn't hurt at all.

Sure, you won't have BC games (that aren't digital) but if you were getting a XBO for BC because of your discs...you would get the disc version. Having another SKU will be fine. What MS should do is have people be able to gift/share/sell their own games (and retailers). Creating that type of market would definitely help digital.

Bosox3

Banned
This would be a great idea. I buy all my games digitally w/ sharing "home" consoles w/ my nephew. We take turns buying games and ended up saving a TON, while putting together a huge collection of games.
If these companies stop having to make physical copies/ packaging..the prices may then lower.

I can see them also doing something like EA access...letting the users test the game out for an hour or so....then makig them delete it or Buy it digitally.

Even if it doesnt happen here..I dont see the next xbox having a disc drive anyway.

Top Bottom