• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A digital only Xbox One might be in Microsoft's 2016 plans.

mike4001_

Of all the consoles, a digital-only X1 would be a terrible choice, seeing how they've already had issues with XBL going down or 3rd-party servers going down which prevented players from playing their games during the outage.

If you don´t set your console as your home console.

Exactly the same with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4 .... (so much "of all the consoles a terrible choice)

natertots

Of all the consoles, a digital-only X1 would be a terrible choice, seeing how they've already had issues with XBL going down or 3rd-party servers going down which prevented players from playing their games during the outage.

All you have to do is set your Xbox as your home console and you can access all your digital downloads offline or online.

Why any of you would go digital baffles me and I will never understand. If you guys prefer to buy worthless assets rather than valuable physical tangibles then give your money to me instead.

Digital content is ludicrous. A digital-only Xbox One? What an industry nightmare.

some people tend to prioritize actual games instead of pieces of plastic. It's not like a physical disc offers some vastly different gameplay experience.

Physical games offer separate benefits, but it has nothing to do with the game itself (especially since on the Xbox One/PS4/PC, they just get installed to a hard drive anyway). Just like digital/downloaded games offer benefits, that mostly have to do with convenience, so it's a pro/con thing based on what benefits matter more to an individual customer. Instead of inserting a piece of potentially scratchable plastic to prove you own the game, it's handled automatically via a digital license, so for most people that would be considered more convenient.

jaxpunk

MS once banned my xbox live account because I had a expired CC on file for the gold renewal. That only took about 6 months and far too many phone calls to sort out. Digital only console hahaha no thanks.

flux1

Unless the cost is heavily subsidized I don't see a point. There have been plenty of deals to get an XB1 for $299 or less with pack in games. Even if you plan to go all digital, if its the same price to have the disc drive you may as well just get that one.

Toki767

I don't see how this happens when every month there's some rumor about Comcast or some other Internet provider in the US being close to implementing bandwidth caps.

GnawtyDog

Banned
U.S centric hoping for miracle demand amid a lot of noise coming from NX, VR and the fact that the Xbox One itself is not the popular kid on the block anymore...

Is it an Xbox One slim with all the functionalities except a BD Drive? If so, is that drive so much of a burden to design around a slim case, and to strip it all together to save what? 20 bucks at most?

I'll eat crow like anyone else if prediction doesn't turn out right.

Prediction: DOA.

I hate this digital only revolution, because the infrastructure just isn't there. The world's average internet speeds make downloading these games insanely slow, and physical discs are better as a result.

If you live in a city and have insanely good internet, sure. But for me? Fuck that.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I hate this digital only revolution, because the infrastructure just isn't there. The world's average internet speeds make downloading these games insanely slow, and physical discs are better as a result.

If you live in a city and have insanely good internet, sure. But for me? Fuck that.

The Oligopoly that is the U.S market is just a disgrace. The Tech and the MONEY is there. I've Comcast so I am screwed - like millions. I wouldn't have a problem if I had speeds that made downloading 35-50 gigs a 10-30 min chore at most. And 30 mins is pushing it. Fact is I've to wait 10+ hrs to download such a file. Physical it's. Plus trade-in is just too good to pass up. Not to mention if a console bricks, I still have the games long after support for a console is dead.

Gamezone

Gold Member
We should always be able to enjoy our games, even without internet. Besides gaming, I really have no use for internet in my home. I pay next to nothing for high speed 10 GB LTE on my phone, and that's enough for me, but I have to pay £50 for my home internet just to enjoy my games.

If you do it, don't expect it to be a crazy moneymaker. More than anything, it's a step toward getting the consumer accustomed to the digital future and transitioning away from being dependent on retailers.

Personally, digital still has several kinks to work out before I go that route for my consoles.

notaskwid

If it's a set top box windows store only, who the hell would want that? You hardly can find anyone that wants a windows phone, much less this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ill keep saying that this thing should be a 360.

Take the disc drive out, put 128GB or so of flash storage in it, allow external storage and you have the perfect Apple TV competitor. $99. Plays real games with a real controller, streams movies etc etc.

Also allow the 360 to be a remote play device for Xbox One while you're at it Microsoft. How they haven't done this yet is beyond me.

Vitacat

Meh. Might be a good idea for some people. Not for me. I like physical games.

What I'd like to see is improved internal specs -- faster CPU and RAM for example -- that let Xbone games run at better fps and 1080p instead of 900p for those games that do. Basically, get on par with PS4. I'd buy that even though I have an Elite Xbone.

There are 2 issues with the idea:

1. A digital only, discless Xbox One effectively nullifies the push to free backwards compatibility with 360 games. It stands to reason that no disk to insert means no 360 game on xbox one.

2. I really don't see game specific brick and mortar retailers (Gamestop for example) embracing this product yet. Each in-store sale of this specific version of the Xbox One implies that customer will never make a new or used xbox one game purchase from that point on.

If this is more than a rumor, I would need to see how they would solve the first issue (don't care too much about the second issue) before I would consider it. I would rather get the larger, disc based Xbox One in which I have the option to play some of my 360 games.

Sydle

1. A digital only, discless Xbox One effectively nullifies the push to free backwards compatibility with 360 games. It stands to reason that no disk to insert means no 360 game on xbox one.

2. I really don't see game specific brick and mortar retailers (Gamestop for example) embracing this product yet. Each in-store sale of this specific version of the Xbox One implies that customer will never make a new or used xbox one game purchase from that point on.

If this is more than a rumor, I would need to see how they would solve the first issue (don't care too much about the second issue) before I would consider it. I would rather get the larger, disc based Xbox One in which I have the option to play some of my 360 games.

Any BC game on the Xbox One has a digital version that you can purchase via the Xbox website and most of them are cheap, so if someone went with a digital-only Xbox One and really wanted to play a 360 game then there is an option to get it.

Additionally, a Gold sub can get you 2 free 360 games a month. As that BC list grows so does a user's digital library.

I think there were rumors about MS wanting to work those BC games into the Xbox One store. Can't find an official source though.

jesu

Personally speaking the majority of my BC games are digital games I own.
Dirt Showdown might have counted but it's coming to XBLG next month.

Crayon

A digital only xbone would have a hard time competing with a fully functional one. Let alone ps4. This will not be a thing.

However I think the next Xbox may be a gaming focused streaming box to better support the windows store.

Griss

XB1 is the only console I don't only this gen. If I get one I'm getting the first revision, I hate that chunky black box they launched with.

Anyway, from my experience with PS4 and Wii U I would be completely comfortable with buying a digital only console now. I regret buying disc based games these days. I'm down to around only 15% physical, and only if I suspect I might want to resell. (I never do.) It's just a hassle I'd rather do without.

LoveCake

It either has to come with a huge HDD 2TB at least or it will have a tiny one 250GB & then you just connect up your own, but then it has to be cheap enough when the cost of a external HDD is to be included in the cost.

When I got my WiiU on release day I also got a 320GB small pocket HDD which was about £40-£50 so that really has to be included in the outlay for the console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it worked with all current Xbox apps, and kept the hdmi pass through I might buy one and sell my Xbox one, which is really earning its place at the table as a media machine. Having one much smaller with less power use would be useful

Why are people still talking about a digital only Xbox one? This sounds more like a windows phone in a box, or an atom powered box. Best case it's the Os only part of the Xbox with most of the APU cut out to save cost as it only needs to run apps, not full games.

A literal Xbox one without a physical drive is pointless IMO as the cost savings are insignificant vs the drawbacks

Frodo

I'd fully welcome one smaller, cheaper, digital only Xbox One so I can play Scalebound next year.

But it has to be smaller and cheaper.

haigo

What are you smoking? All it needs is a USB port.

You came to repeat something completely nonsensical?

Not sure why you have an issue with some people wanting a larger internal drive. From an aesthetic standpoint I can understand why internal is better

Regarding the smaller box. I'm all for it assuming it does the same function as an xbox one minus the disc drive

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I only purchase digital games currently so I would be behind this.

I am not a fan of disks.

jelly

I say go for it. Nothing to lose. Might as well pave the way before next gen and get off to a running start.

Remember when they pushed broadband only instead of dial up in the original Xbox. Everyone thought they were wrong and too early. Xbox needs to lead, not like always online though!

It's not without issues if Microsoft are the sole gatekeeper of content licenses. That needs to be open to third party for competitive retail pricing like discs and Steam keys. Backup to hard drives as well along with the licences. Not bad if they manage that.

KingJ2002

Valid concerns but...

1. Microsoft is still reportedly working on a azure based streaming service for their titles similar to Playstation Now. Offering that through the console would be a checkbox for "backwards compatibility"

2. They wont carry them in large quantities but major retailer such as target, Walmart, best buy, etc will carry plenty. stores like GameStop are on borrowed time anyway. A Digital only future is inevitable and this console could be a precursor to just that.

Synth

...which makes the lower price point moot.

Dumb idea, always has been. Why would any console manufacturer want to make a product that can't use the games it sells at retail?

It doesn't make the lower price moot, just like it didn't with the Arcade SKU for the Xbox 360 (and honestly, that scenario was faaaaaar worse for the buyer). It allows the customer to extend the storage later when they need it, rather than pay more for it upfront, when the may end up using very little (install this year's CoD, install this year's FIFA, install Minecraft... done). Larger storage is mostly required by those of us that either play a bunch of games concurrently, or want permanent, immediate access to games we're already done with. I never delete anything off my XB1, but if I were to remove everything I'm not actively playing right now, I could probably cut my usage to about 200GB rather than the 2.5TB I'm currently using.

Also, they make far more off customers that buy digitally rather than physical. The retail games are just a necessary evil... they'd much rather be rid of them entirely if they could.

Sydle

A bluray reader adds like 10 to 20 bucks to the system. Not worth the time to consider.

But the lack of one means the consumer has to browse the Windows Store to get any apps, games, movies, etc. They may figure there could be higher margins from each digital-only box because they'll get a cut of every purchase off their store.

It's really not that radical of a concept. Apple and Amazon have been doing it a while. Sony tried it with PS TV and I doubt that will be their last attempt since they've got their hands in game streaming (PS Now) and TV (PS Vue). Not sure why it's so crazy to think MS will try it, too.

If it is relatively portable, I'd pick one up to compliment my main console. Would be great to have in a second room and for travelling with.

Most of my games are digital anyway, so would be perfect for me.

EGM1966

I could see it appealing to a small niche, probably more as a second device for existing owners I suspect. I doubt it would be do much globally to improve the console's position though.

Compete with the Apple TV and other platforms by offering a $150-$200 digital only system that comes with a remote and 64GB of flash storage. Make your money back on the people that will use it for gaming and have to buy controllers, Xbox Live, headsets etc and they might also grab an overpriced Xbox One branded external hard drive.

That would be a pretty competitive device. Great living room presence which Microsoft has been trying to achieve through Xbox and it also pulls people into the Windows 10 experience when/if they use the store for music, and movies. Gaming experience will be unmatched compared to platforms like the Apple TV.

mejin

I could see it appealing to a small niche, probably more as a second device for existing owners I suspect. I doubt it would be do much globally to improve the console's position though.

The ship already sailed but I think it's a great idea from Microsoft.

It should be interesting to see if Microsoft can start a new trend and see how the market reacts..

BadWolf

Sony tried it with PS TV and I doubt that will be their last attempt since they've got their hands in game streaming (PS Now) and TV (PS Vue). Not sure why it's so crazy to think MS will try it, too.

Sony have tried it twice, PSTV and PSPGO.

Both were huge failures.

blakep267

Cross post from other theead

Not a bad idea at all. The pstv in theory was good just poor execution.

If this can play all the media apps the xb1 can, play windows store games and also remote play stream your xbox one games like you can do on a windows tablet phone etc, i dont see why it wouldnt be good

It also isnt really a competitor to the xb1 but more of a companion machine. Price it at $150, and Id buy one for a second room in my house

Plus by playing windows store games, it would get some First party support by MS since stuff like Killer knstinct, gears ultimate, gigantic, favle legends, recore, sea of thieves are all lainching on windows 10 as well as xb1

LesPaul

I really like having a physical game library so it would not be for me. But I do not want wo think about the amounts of parents that buy a digital-only version for their kids and get them one or two games on Disc to go along with it.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pass the Xbox onto the HW team responsible for designing their phones and tablets and create a sexy looking compact Xbox. If the price is right no reason it won't sell.

T.O.P

Banned
I'd buy a budget all digital X1 tbh

Been saying this for a while, i need a second X1 for Xbox fitness to be put in another room

The more I think about it, if true, this could either be proof those in charge of the Xbox division are still completely detached from reality, or an admission of failure and attempt to double down on the 'whales'.

This simply can't be a mainstream success. The infrastructure just isn't there, and simply has no hope of keeping up with enthusiast aimed media like games and 4K streaming/downloads.

If they decided to launch this because they're only paying attention to their own basically infinite, money is no issue, super fast broadband set ups, then there's likely no hope for the Xbox brand.

If instead they decided making a system for the super hardcore that'll spend far more than average, in an effort to lock them into the ecosystem and milk them for everything they're worth, that's despicable, and would imply they're considering giving up on not just the rest of the world, but even the American mainstream.

Kind of worst case scenarios here, and I'd personally say they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, but if this has any further thought to it than being a blind stab in the dark, I can't see it being an idea that came from a good place.

Hope they don't plan on selling these anywhere but America. Digital game pricing on consoles is terrible seemingly everywhere else on Earth.

krang

Making a niche product the hardcore will buy and appreciate. "Despicable"...how dare they!

Anyway, there is some serious hyperbole here based on a rumour that contradicts itself. It doesn't sound like an all-digital (as opposed to analogue?) Xbox at all.

oti

Banned
I'm all for digital games but seeing how almost every XBO exclusive bombs hard (especially here in Germany) I rather wait a few weeks and get the physical copy for 20€-40€.

But interesting option (if true) nonetheless.

Business

I can see this being like the elite controller. The hardcore of the hardcore will buy it, the mainstream won't care much.

Personally, digital prices more than anything else make this a no go for me.

Top Bottom