• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Hulk to Appear in Thor: Ragnarök

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I'm a little disappointed about the news. Love getting more of Ruffalo Hulk, and a team-up movie with Thor would be a hell of a thing. But, I was kind of hoping that Ragnarok would be -- as the name implies -- a Thor-centric, twilight of the gods-esque story, not a Planet Hulk off-shoot. And I was also hoping that at least Sif and Heimdall would get much bigger roles to play this time around, and having Hulk in the mix would undoubtedly take away some of that screentime.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm a little disappointed about the news. Love getting more of Ruffalo Hulk, and a team-up movie with Thor would be a hell of a thing. But, I was kind of hoping that Ragnarok would be -- as the name implies -- a Thor-centric, twilight of the gods-esque story, not a Planet Hulk off-shoot. And I was also hoping that at least Sif and Heimdall would get much bigger roles to play this time around, and having Hulk in the mix would undoubtedly take away some of that screentime.

Well we have Iron Man guest starring in a Captain America film, so there's precedence. Also, Marvel/Disney can't make a Hulk standalone film without Universal, so this is their way of shoehorning Hulk into a non-Avengers MCU film.

Blader

Well we have Iron Man guest starring in a Captain America film, so there's precedence. Also, Marvel/Disney can't make a Hulk standalone film without Universal, so this is their way of shoehorning Hulk into a non-Avengers MCU film.

I get why they're doing it, that doesn't mean I like the idea. :p And yeah Iron Man's guest starring in a Captain America movie, but it's based on a story that was all about Iron Man and Cap. It makes sense for Downey to be in a Civil War film. I just don't see the place for Hulk in a Norse apocalypse barring a serious deviation from the source material.

Cuburt

I get why they're doing it, that doesn't mean I like the idea. :p And yeah Iron Man's guest starring in a Captain America movie, but it's based on a story that was all about Iron Man and Cap. It makes sense for Downey to be in a Civil War film. I just don't see the place for Hulk in a Norse apocalypse barring a serious deviation from the source material.

This basically sums up my feelings on it.

Trying to squeeze in Planet Hulk doesn't sound like a good solution either. If they shot off Hulk into space following AoU (or had Banner surrender himself to captivity/surveillance in Asgard to maybe look for a cure or pay for some sort of crime or it being a realm that had the might/technology to fend off the Hulk in some sense), then at least there would be some narrative threads to follow that wouldn't need them setting up a reason for Hulk to get involved in Thor's story.

It's like the rumors of them trying to put Iron Man in GotG; I can think of reasons they'd want to do that, even comic book reasons, but there just aren't very good MCU story reasons to make that happen. In the long run, it's better to let it stand on it's own than shoehorn a crossover that doesn't feel natural.

It could be as simple as Thor realizing he needs backup, and the other Avengers are out of commission/unable to help after the results of the superhero Civil War. Hulk isnt involved there so Marvel probably feels to need to include him in some other big Phase 3 event, and that would be Ragnarok. Maybe Heimdall is able to locate him when no one else could.

Definitely understand where the skepticism is from, its not like the Thor movies have done a very good job of balancing a larger cast like Avengers and Winter Soldier did. I'm just willing to be a little hopeful because if it works out we might get to see The Hulk decked out in badass Asgardian battle armor.

Mostly because these characters are one-offs for the most part.

But the MCU does a fucking horrendous job with continuity re: Thor. Just look at Selvig being fucked up in Thor 2, and a distinguished Professor in Avengers: AOU. Like when the fuck did that happen?
In T:TDW Selvig was "crazy" because no one bought anything he was saying about alternate dimensions. Then the thing in London happened showing that other dimensions are a thing.
Thor in the first film at least had an arc. In The Dark World, stuff just kinda happens to him. The only moment of agency he had is breaking out Loki and going to Svartalfheim but he fails to destroy the Aether. Nothing really changes for Thor other than moving to Midgard at the end but the film isn't really about that choice so it falls completely flat.

If they want to focus on Thor and Jane, they need to commit to it completely and actually tell a story with those characters. I'd rather they went full hoss and embraced the Thor being a literal god angle though.
I agree, but Thor and Jane should be able to be integrated well into the plot, something neither movie has properly done.

Neoxon

I mean, Hulk in Asgard isn't anything new (go watch Hulk vs. Thor for reference). But if we do get the actual hero Valkyrie on top of the Valkyrie group, I'd be more than down for it. More so since so far we only have 2 female heroes with Wasp & Captain Marvel on the way (of course, there's also Quake & Jessica Jones to consider). And the "darkest script" part really has my interest.

Shaanyboi

Banned
2015 and they seriously talking about Valkyrie in a movie?

What bubble?

She was supposed to be in Thor 2 apparently.

19btydmdbwew2jpg.jpg

junk

Still hope for another last min phase 3 story/title switch to God Butcher? I got back into comics in my late 20s because of someone suggesting the Straczynski/Coipel run, but that particular story would really illustrate why Thor and the world specific to his solo stories are fkn awesome. However not sure how the general premise could be reworked to fit as the 3rd film and also a precursor to Infinity War

Quick

Banned
Puny Gods.

I'm excited to see Hulk/Banner not stuck in just Avengers movies. I'm hoping this can eventually lead to a solo movie (distribution rights notwithstanding).

avengers-hulk-punch-thor-1430497153.gif

Mariolee

You can tell from the title that shit hits the fan in Thor: Raganrok, but just how serious is the movie? It's so serious, so dark, that Marvel decided to hire a comedy director to bring a touch of lightness to the proceedings. Yes, Taika Waititi was hired to balance out the grimness of the script and bring it tonally a little closer to what Marvel fans have come to expect.

That's what sources deep inside Disney are whispering to me, anyway. Waititi may yet be joined by another writer to help brighten the corners of Ragnarok while maintaining writer Christopher Yost's apocalyptic vibe. One way that may happen is to up the humor between Thor and Hulk, who I have been led to believe will be not only appearing in the movie but will be playing a major role. The two heroes will be taking a cosmic road trip together, Hope and Crosby style.

Dark script? Eh. [Excellent] comedy director? Hmm.

Nyj9cWz.jpg

Deadline just couldn't resist.

Marvel has been masterful about cross-pollinating these franchises with its stable of stars, and Ruffalo’s presence could bring green to this sequel.

I hope that Kat Dennings' character is thrown into Mephisto's realm never to be seen again until Marvel do Ghost Rider where he just ignores and walks past her while she begs him to take her back to Earth.

Because that's what a Thor movie needs to finally treat Thor seriously, like a real god of thunder ala Thor: God of Thunder, so that a Thor film can stand toe to toe with something like Donner's Superman. More jokes about Hulk punching Thor across a fucking room.

I'm happy Hulk is in, but not for these reasons.

There's an issue from the either the 60s or 70s that I read where hulk accident my ends up in Asgard and takes out heimdall and the Warriors 3 during his rampage. It's funny how they react to him. In the end Odin takes him. One of my favorite stories.

mreddie

Wonder why they're adding Hulk though?

Was Thor too bland? And Valkyrie? I guess Sif is gonna be too busy doing her show despite the fact Jamie said Sif would be a central character.

Wonder why they're adding Hulk though?

Was Thor too bland? And Valkyrie? I guess Sif is gonna be too busy doing her show despite the fact Jamie said Sif would be a central character.

Might explain why Hulk wasnt in Civil War. Takes the big hitters off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom