• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadness (Wii) is dead, amateur devs who claimed they were making a sequel aren't #210

GulAtiCa

So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.

HullBreach Studios is actually a licensed Nintendo developer, I know that for sure. The way they stated "get project approved by Nintendo", is actually incorrect and I can see why you might be confused. Though us developers do need to submit a project sheet for any game/app we make, it's so Nintendo has a record of it and so it can eventually be submitted to Nintendo lotcheck. Also used to keep track on what games are actively in development. Nintendo doesn't actually reject project sheets normally, esp as it's just text of what the game will be like.

Beyond that, don't know where this game might go, if it even does go beyond the initial development stage.

joeposh

So basically they're buying the "buzz" around the name and tying it to a totally new game (though "new" implies that the original Sadness actually existed, which I still don't believe).

God help them if they try to crowd fund this.

GameE

You know, I still can't quite believe they didn't even go and reveal some actual screenshots. I mean, they know the game's history as vaporware, so...

NintendoLife's credibility is going to take a big hit if this proves to be yet another hoax (most likely, I'm afraid).

I dont think its fake, just that these devs arent the best and the game probably wont turn out great

georly

Because I remember seeing it and thought it looked great for the melancholy atmosphere alone. It is something that I would be interested in seeing on the Wii U beings I own one now. Is that okay with you?

Just wondering. It's perfectly fine with me! Just wondering how you can decide you want a game before you know any information about it, but sounds good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HullBreach Studios is actually a licensed Nintendo developer, I know that for sure.

That's not really relevant, given that Nintendo now licenses essentially any developer who applies. Someone being an iOS licensed developer doesn't mean they're capable of releasing a substantial, large scale commercial project.

GulAtiCa

That's not really relevant, given that Nintendo now licenses essentially any developer who applies. Someone being an iOS licensed developer doesn't mean they're capable of releasing a substantial, large scale commercial project.

Oh I agree, I'm fairly skeptical too. Even if this was some big shot developer, I wouldn't really hold much in belief that much come out of "Sadness" anyways. Honestly they should have waited until they have something to show.

lololololololol8cscc.gif

ironcreed

Banned
Just wondering. It's perfectly fine with me! Just wondering how you can decide you want a game before you know any information about it, but sounds good.

I just think it is an interesting looking concept and would like to see it take shape into a neat game. That's it.

mantidor

I really don't think they are thinking this through very well. Back then the indie scene was very small, so games like Sadness had appeal because there was nothing else like it. Now with the indie scene exploding the game just doesn't stand out as much. The output of Wii, Wii U and PC has covered Sadness ideas and go beyond them. Personally Limbo alone is a perfect replacement for what I had in mind when Sadness was announced. The fact that is now a 2D game makes it even less appealing, I honestly see it trying to be kind of a Limbo clone.

Yagami_Sama

First time I saw something about this game, I was interested. Now I don't know any more.
Let's see if other companies revive other Wii titles which were canned, like The Grinder

Seik

Banned
So to be clear, two no-name developers (at least one of whom identifies primarily as an IGN poster who made a "studio" with his brother) who are developing no-name games for Wii U that don't have any assets or release dates are teaming up to revive another no-name developer's no-name game that wasn't ever really made into a game, and are targeting a release that's quite possibly after the Wii U's lifespan as an exclusive because they have an emotional attachment to Nintendo... and they haven't actually gotten the project approved by Nintendo.

Yeah, this is embarrassing all around and it's especially embarrassing that NintendoLife's mandate actually tells them to cover anything, even stuff that's so patently nonsense.

:lol

That point of view cracked me up, so true.

Amir0x

Banned
Haha. Targeting release in 2016. They better hope Nintendo hasn't released a successor to the Wii U by then.

Seriously. 2016 for a Wii U game? Will the system even be selling 2 units per month then?

I mean it's not like this game is anything other than a running joke, but just trying to even entertain this idea is hilarious

Alphahawk

Everything about this project has always screamed desperate fanboyism. It was always a Wii exclusive, despite the team having no real motivation to not make it multiplatform except nostalgia. Now it's being revived as an exclusive for the WiiU, despite the console's awful sales, in order to respect the "original vision" by Nibris.

Nibris , in the meantime, turned into Blooper Team and has released one game, Basement Crawl, an incredibly broken downloadable title for PS4 that speaks volumes about the programming ability of Nibris.

Lijik

Featuring such innovative characters as Nikola Tesla and Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Cutting edge stuff.
117688155.jpg

I cant wait for the big HP Lovecraft character sprite reveal, gonna be hype

Nibris , in the meantime, turned into Blooper Team and has released one game, Basement Crawl, an incredibly broken downloadable title for PS4 that speaks volumes about the programming ability of Nibris.
Thats not true they also put out the dsiware CLASSIC "double bloob"

* an unofficial, non-sanctioned browser-based game which I'm not confident that anyone here would describe as a professional or commercial level game project. Game's homepage
Ok. They made a browser game in 2008 or so, and?

Have you seen the updates they've done for Uncloaked? They actually have screens, footage, etc for the project. It's not amazing looking or anything, but they're pretty regular with updates.

NewGame

Banned
Did anyone else get on the mailing list for Nibris back in the day? I remember contacting them through their site.

Dear Nibris,

I love Sadness and yet I have not even played it. How is it that you can create such feelings? Will they ever be quenched? I am truly

Yours sincerely,

Nibris - fans <fans@nibris.net>
04/12/2006

Hi,

We are still developing Sadness. We will show info about Sadness at the end of the year. We think it's worth waiting for this game ;)

All the best from Nibris team.

6a8m.jpg

Nibris - fans <fans@nibris.net>
01/11/2007

Hello,

Today is Halloween so we would like to wish you great day and night :)
We also would like to let you know that your e-mail was very immportant for us but we aren't able to answer for all of e-mails.

Nibris is alive and well. From August Nibris is exclusively represented by FOG Studios, Inc.(www.fogstudios.com), the leading agency for interactive representation since 1979. We are still actively working at our projects (Sadness - Wii - 2009, Double Bloob Q2 2008 and ROTR - DS Q 3 2008) and it will be announced in the gaming press in certain time.

We will change our website soon and then you will see some news (including Sadness) about our games.

Once again thank you for your support!

Nibris team

NIBRIS SP. Z O.O. (LTD.)
UL. SZLAK 28
31-153 CRACOW
POLAND
NIP: 676-233-15-95

Nibris is exclusively represented by FOG Studios,
Inc.(www.fogstudios.com), the leading agency for interactive
representation since 1979.

gqi2v.jpg

More vaporware art pls.

Con_Smith

Banned
I remember when I was a lurker back in the day and the screens for this game on Wii popped up. My first lesson in detective gaf started there as people began picking apart the pics and eventually the devs to the point everyone was covunced the game was bs.

I was actually kind of hyped back then. This was before the indie horror renaissance when scary games just weren't like they used to be and I thought from the picks something speacial was coming to the Wii.

This is absolutely hilarious. I can't believe that I was hyped for this game at one point in time. I saw this thread and couldn't believe my eyes, like, really? Beautiful.

Top Bottom