• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seller of Durango devkit says Durango info is old, compares to Orbis better

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

My head explodes. I see you haven't played PS3. I'll make a vid of the first party titles and then put in GOW Ascension for the oh la la effect.
Lets see hmm
You had no wifi
no hdmi
no optical out

anything else you want me to add? Also please don't mention hardware because the games on PS3 prove you wrong. These threads hurt the brain. So much damage control and denial.
Im off to bed.
arrrghhh!!

Souther

Banned
Both systems being a wash in power.

Current specs of Orbis & Durango aren't pointing to this at all. If he already knew Orbis specs beforehand... Why would he state that?

Edge rumor then says PS4 is slightly more powerful.

1st parties are going to be the ones to really show any type of real power difference.

Iacobellis

Lol at that crab.

I would have to say it turned out to be the best console this gen, all things considered.

For first party content, I agree with you 100%. But third party developers had such a tough time getting a grip on what the hardware can do.

FroJay

Banned
As a launch day guy for the original Xbox and the 360 I've gotta say.....fuck Kinect. If that device keeps me from getting powerful enough hardware or inflates the price of the system consider me PS4 day one. Why is MS continuing to persue Kinect? Hasn't that money train died already?

i-Lo

Current specs of Orbis & Durango aren't pointing to this at all. If he already knew Orbis specs beforehand... Why would he state that?

I am somewhat confused. lherre said there have been no significant changes since at least the beta stage (which he referred to as near final silicon) for the XB3. SuperDAE is contradicting that statement with, "oh if only you knew" BS. I think it was Thuway who said that Orbis' dev kit showed marked improvement (~2x powerful) which EDGE were perhaps privy to when they made that claim.

oh so now power is important again I thought that when the info on Orbis came out the other day it was all about the games/gameplay, but now we have someone saying different, all of a sudden it's all about power again....you people need to get your stories straight cause all this back and forth is making me nauseous.

lol... what.

and why doesn't he spill the current spec info?

umm... because he doesn't have any?

Reiko

Banned
I am somewhat confused. lherre said there have no significant changes since at least the beta stage (which he referred to as near final silicon) for the XB3. SuperDAE is contradicting that statement with, "oh if only you knew BS". I think it was Thuway who said that Orbis' dev kit showed marked improvement (~2x powerful) which EDGE were perhaps privy to when they made that claim.

This is why NDA ruins speculation...:/

Souther

Banned
Yeah if there is any that's the only place you will see it.

Hopefully we won't have the problems with some games that we had this generation where they were lead on 360 and then ported to PS3.

If everything is pretty much the same besides some gpu power diffs then it should be pretty smooth sailing.

I wonder who will be the majority lead this time...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
oh so now power is important again I thought that when the info on Orbis came out the other day it was all about the games/gameplay, but now we have some derp stating the contrary and all of a sudden it's all about power again....you people need to get your stories straight cause all this back and forth is making me nauseous.
You need to check if these are the same posters. If they are, call them out, Mama Robotnik style.
Otherwise it's alluding to a GAF hive-mind that doesn't exist.

Iacobellis

PS4 is the only system I'm buying next gen so I'm glad it has some power under the hood. I will enjoy Sony first party titles.

I'm definitely getting a PS4 also, the diversity in IPs is a breath of fresh air. I just hope it is an easy platform to develop for like the Vita and PSN doesn't become a paid service.

artist

Banned
I am somewhat confused. lherre said there have been no significant changes since at least the beta stage (which he referred to as near final silicon) for the XB3. SuperDAE is contradicting that statement with, "oh if only you knew" BS. I think it was Thuway who said that Orbis' dev kit showed marked improvement (~2x powerful) which EDGE were perhaps privy to when they made that claim.
Correct.

MS is gonna release multiple Xbox hardware this year. This is almost past the point of rumor, since we have a bunch of sites reporting on this recently, and we got that tech podcast where the guy with MS info confirms that it will be so.

2 different Xbox's, mean 2 different markets. This should be worth examining, because it makes perfect sense that one of these devices will mainly exist because of Google and Apple, and the other won't.

If MS decides to make a set top box that can only play downloadable games that means MS will have to double down on their XBLA offerings to give these people something to play right?

That sounds good to me as XBLA has provided me with tons of entertainment this gen.

JJD

MS is gonna release multiple Xbox hardware this year. This is almost past the point of rumor, since we have a bunch of sites reporting on this recently, and we got that tech podcast where the guy with MS info confirms that it will be so.

2 different Xbox's, mean 2 different markets. This should be worth examining, because it makes perfect sense that one of these devices will mainly exist because of Google and Apple, and the other won't.

Huh? Links please?

I heard rumors, but I still thought MS was going to release different SKUs, but outside of HDD space, cables and accessories they would be the same spec wise.

If they really release hardware with different specs this is huge and changes everything.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
As a launch day guy for the original Xbox and the 360 I've gotta say.....fuck Kinect. If that device keeps me from getting powerful enough hardware or inflates the price of the system consider me PS4 day one. Why is MS continuing to persue Kinect? Hasn't that money train died already?

Personally, I think releasing a system that while may not be as powerful as the PS4 but will look the same as 95% of the titles all while providing the ability to operate your entire entertainment experience (set top box/dvr/bluray/streaming/audio/Internet) in your lounge room with just your voice... That's going to be a big one for consumers.

Will it be powerful and impressive at launch? Yes. Will it be powerful and impressive in 3 years? Yes. Will it be powerful and impressive in 5 years? Maybe not.

This gen lasted as long as it did in part to the power of those consoles back in 2005.

I'm sure both consoles will blow my ass away when they do finally reveal.

Huh? Links please?

I heard rumors, but I still thought MS was going to release different SKUs, but outside of HDD space, cables and accessories they would be the same spec wise.

If they really release hardware with different specs this is huge and changes everything.

Paul Thurrot has said it multiple times. Said it on What The Tech last Monday around the 52:00 mark.

Also said it twice on Windows Weekly. Once last Thursday and one time the week before.

Said three times, so he must have some confidence in his information.

pants

Really hate these people who basically say "I know and you dont nanananananana". Say something or shut up.

Zeal

Banned
Too bad we can't have animated Avis anymore :(

iTiApmUR0g2zQ.gif

In my heart............I somehow always knew.

Azriell

If MS decides to make a set top box that can only play downloadable games that means MS will have to double down on their XBLA offerings to give these people something to play right?

That sounds good to me as XBLA has provided me with tons of entertainment this gen.

I don't know. I could certainly imagine a scenario where MS releases one version of Durango that's just a set top box that plays downloadable games, but out of the gate has the full (current) XBLA (and XBLIG?) library available, and that would probably satiate anyone who's buying a set top Xbox for a long while. Naturally new titles would come out for it, and I'm sure they'll get more serious about downloading retail games, but I don't think they'd have any real need to release games at a greater rate.

I would argue people who fall into this demographic probably didn't own a 360. If they did, they're more likely to either get a Durango Proper or not get a Durango at all, based on their feelings and experiences with this/last gen. I can't see many "core gamers" buying a set top box, unless it's a second Durango.

JJD

Have you talked to a typical Microsoft investor lately? I have. They don't see Sony as any threat at all. Google and Apple are the threats to Microsoft, and games are just one form of apps/services. You might not like to hear it (don't kill the messenger) but the investors want Microsoft to slow the rise of Android and iOS, which requires a much broader strategy than chasing fickle core gamers around.

This is besides the point (of gaming). Games barely make a blip on MS financials.

It's not a vital market to then, even if they are using it to spearhead their entrance into the living room environment.

If the 720 fails as a game machine but still succeeds on granting MS a place in the living room (content delivery, set top boxes, TV web surfing, etc.) it will be a huge success to MS. In fact going by the rumors that's MS biggest objective IMO.

Sony was never a threat to MS, and probably never will be. Google and Apple on the other hand can definitely take MS out of business if they are not careful.

That is why shareholders, investors and analysts only care about then when talking about MS future. Videogames, and their division inside MS really don't matter when it comes to this

Hell with Samsung's cellphone marketshare they are probably a bigger worry for MS than Sony even if they still make some Windows phones.

Thanks friend!

Codeblew

Have you talked to a typical Microsoft investor lately? I have. They don't see Sony as any threat at all. Google and Apple are the threats to Microsoft, and games are just one form of apps/services. You might not like to hear it (don't kill the messenger) but the investors want Microsoft to slow the rise of Android and iOS, which requires a much broader strategy than chasing fickle core gamers around.

I don't really care what Microsoft investors think. I want to buy a gaming console. Media features are secondary.

nasos_333

Personally, I think releasing a system that while may not be as powerful as the PS4 but will look the same as 95% of the titles all while providing the ability to operate your entire entertainment experience (set top box/dvr/bluray/streaming/audio/Internet) in your lounge room with just your voice... That's going to be a big one for consumers.

Will it be powerful and impressive at launch? Yes. Will it be powerful and impressive in 3 years? Yes. Will it be powerful and impressive in 5 years? Maybe not.

This gen lasted as long as it did in part to the power of those consoles back in 2005.

I'm sure both consoles will blow my ass away when they do finally reveal.

Depends in MS strategy, if they release a not so powerfull system now and plan to release another in a few years, then is fine

If they plan to keep it for 8 years though, will be really obsolete if it is not super powered right now

Codeblew

This is silly talk to me. If you get a free XBox or can get one for super-cheap with your TV subscription, and there are good games for it, you're still gonna say "oh no thanks...I only care about MAX SPECZ0RZ, I'll stick to the crappy dumb DVR you usually only provide for old people!" for real?

If you are a gamer that hung up about specs, you should probably be in the PC-only camp.

I don't have cable. I am internet only. I have a 1080p big screen so I will not be buying a new tv anytime soon. I don't really care about 3d tv's. I just want a games console with free netflix app and media streaming.

KidBeta

It's always possible that the DDR3 Ram was purely for devkit and it will be a lot faster in the final revision.

Not a chance. They aren't going to redesign the memory and all its controllers this late, speed might change minorly but that's about it and even for that there's little chance

This is silly talk to me. If you get a free XBox or can get one for super-cheap with your TV subscription, and there are good games for it, you're still gonna say "oh no thanks...I only care about MAX SPECZ0RZ, I'll stick to the crappy dumb DVR you usually only provide for old people!" for real?

If you are a gamer that hung up about specs, you should probably be in the PC-only camp.

The question is that if you're a cable company and you're trying to sell all your pay per view and movies on demand catalogue on top of your multi-tiered subscription with little or no competition, why would you put a MS machine in the mix that can get in front of your customers and sell them the same content through the MS store front instead of your own? It would basically be the equivalent of allowing the cable subscriber to watch movies through netflix using their HDPVR, essentially that would introduce unnecessary competition to their on-demand services.

I can understand if you're samsung or some other TV manufacturer not called Sony, and MS wants to throw in a free xbox720 where you really don't have anything to lose, but for cable companies giving MS your piece of the real estate in terms of store front in the content provider business makes no sense, even if MS would give their boxes away for free, unless MS is willing to give away a gimped set-top box version that does not work through the xbox live marketplace which would kind of defeat the very purpose of MS wanting to channel as much content through their own platform as possible.

Potentially, maybe MS might try to make a play at the content provider business through their box kind of like Apple TV but trying to get the cable companies to play along might not be an easy thing, they might as well try to buy up Time Warner or Direct TV.

Zeal

Banned
Would you be willing to ruin your career, face legal consequences to break NDA and expose details? Serious question.

No one should. It's not that important and people can wait.

Besides, things will inevitably leak from so many sources at once that MS will not pursue specific individuals. I expect the flood gates to open within weeks at the latest.

Bashtee

Would you be willing to ruin your career, face legal consequences to break NDA and expose details? Serious question.

He sold a dev-kit. I'm pretty sure he broke every single point from the NDA with that. So why even bother not telling?

Well, whatever. It's all about games and I like Sony's first-party more. Halo and Gears of War aren't really my franchise.

Piggus

I agree, with the exception of superDaE. If he was selling those devkits and leaked that initial "old" info, I can't think of any reason why he would be at further risk. It sounds to me like he's just spouting hot air for the inevitable reactions. In other words I'm not going to believe someone that reckless unless they continue to be reckless. :p

nasos_333

He sold a dev-kit. I'm pretty sure he broke every single point from the NDA with that. So why even bother not telling?

Well, whatever. It's all about games and I like Sony's first-party more. Halo and Gears of War aren't really my franchise.

So, this is confirmed to be the real deal ?

Like he really had a devkit and sold it ?

Between the salty Nintendo fanboys raging everytime someone doubts the WiiU and the discussions of still hypothetical consoles, I'm finding the console wars threads pretty entertaining to read.

I'm crossing my fingers for Microsoft to announce that the Xbox 720 or whatever will reset everyone's gamerscores back to 0 so I can read through the NeoGaf meltdown thread.

rdrr gnr

Except it isn't that black and white. Almost none of the alleged insiders with information are themselves directly involved in the industry. They are getting their information from people already breaking their NDAs. And if the threat of legal action is evident, then why even bother? How many posts have we seen with winks and chuckles hinting at some sort of information we aren't supposed to know.

For first party content, I agree with you 100%. But third party developers had such a tough time getting a grip on what the hardware can do.

Lol we disagree again, I preferred Nintendo. But yeah I see what you're saying, 360 faired just fine even though it was a little weaker.

Quazar

Except it isn't that black and white. Almost none of the alleged insiders with information are themselves directly involved in the industry. They are getting their information from people already breaking their NDAs. And if the threat of legal action is evident, then why even bother? How many posts have we seen with winks and chuckles hinting at some sort of information we aren't supposed to know.

And lets be real just by what they've been saying alone would send red flags to companies anyways to look into who they are. Which is why this all is so questionable. Once you half say anything, you might as well say all at that point.

I find it funny that developers and people with a look at the hardware are saying consoles are more or less a wash and yet we ignore them, making up our own ideas based on rumored, incomplete, unverified, and personal interpretations of "leaks".

The question is that if you're a cable company and you're trying to sell all your pay per view and movies on demand catalogue on top of your multi-tiered subscription with little or no competition, why would you put a MS machine in the mix that can get in front of your customers and sell them the same content through the MS store front instead of your own? It would basically be the equivalent of allowing the cable subscriber to watch movies through netflix using their HDPVR, essentially that would introduce unnecessary competition to their on-demand services.

I can understand if you're samsung or some other TV manufacturer not called Sony, and MS wants to throw in a free xbox720 where you really don't have anything to lose, but for cable companies giving MS your piece of the real estate in terms of store front in the content provider business makes no sense, even if MS would give their boxes away for free, unless MS is willing to give away a gimped set-top box version that does not work through the xbox live marketplace which would kind of defeat the very purpose of MS wanting to channel as much content through their own platform as possible.

Potentially, maybe MS might try to make a play at the content provider business through their box kind of like Apple TV but trying to get the cable companies to play along might not be an easy thing, they might as well try to buy up Time Warner or Direct TV.

This is the big question.

Three things we know is that the MSOs will protect their 1st-run PPV movie and PPV events business at all costs, they do not want too granular "a la carte" TV packages that they don't control, and that they are rather desperately seeking a strategy that prevents them from being turned into a "dumb pipe."

Aside from UFC events, I don't think MS is currently selling any of the aforementioned PPV content. If they enter a partnership with the MSO's they'll likely have to give that up, but that's a drop in the bucket.

There are real questions in the industry about the profitability and sustainability/viability of all the major MSOs' "On-demand" services that don't fit into that highly-profitable 1st-run PPV movie/event category. Some industry watchers have described their efforts (as well as services like Amazon/Netflix) as a "loss leader" so there are real questions about whether they would care if they could hand it off to a partnership that would carry some of the costs.

Presumably, MS has a plan and marketing strategy in place for these companies to convince them that entering into a partnership will be better for them in the long run than the seemingly long, inevitable march to "dumb pipe" status that they seem to be on now. Nobody really knows what that sales pitch from Microsoft is, but they must be saying something to the MSOs that is sticking, if this is really what they're moving forward with.

nib95

Banned
I find it funny that developers and people with a look at the hardware are saying consoles are more or less a wash and yet we ignore them, making up our own ideas based on rumored, incomplete, unverified, and personal interpretations of "leaks".

They're not unverified. Devs and sources themselves generally unanimously verify them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom