• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus announced for PS4/Vita

SerTapTap

Not super deep, but honestly at least as deep as the backstory of any main character in almost any RPG. Kind of amazing how few games have relevant backstories beyond "monster dun kilt muh parents, gon save da world 'bout naw". Though it's kind of jarring how good the motivations to be Ninjas are vs how terrible the motivations for them to fight each other are. Especially the "reluctant" characters who don't want to fight but fight exactly as often as everyone else.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
hct3o1c.png

jFxF0qw.png

Well, that's one way to transform

Maid

Banned
Not super deep, but honestly at least as deep as the backstory of any main character in almost any RPG. Kind of amazing how few games have relevant backstories beyond "monster dun kilt muh parents, gon save da world 'bout naw". Though it's kind of jarring how good the motivations to be Ninjas are vs how terrible the motivations for them to fight each other are. Especially the "reluctant" characters who don't want to fight but fight exactly as often as everyone else.

I think their mistake was how they want the players to use all the girls available, hence they have to write the motivation for them to fight each other and sometimes it feels forced against a character's personality. Conflict isn't an easy thing to write.

It's be better if they just use conflict of the whole school as oppose of each character, and let us use whoever we want. The flow would feel smoother.

StayDead

This franchise sees a new iteration every 2 months or so ?

Maybe you're confused due to the gap between Burst, Shinovi Versus and Bon Appetits release dates between Japan/RotW and the different threads as new games every time.

For example Estival versus which has now been announced for Japan will probably get more threads again when it gets announced for RotW

I have both the Vita and PS4 collectors editions preordered for import. Can't wait to dive into the hometown. Although I feel like I should've waited on localization.

SerTapTap

Wow they really improved the hometown rendering. Was getting tired of the thin pointy butts in Versus.

This series needs the ability to create your own shinobi.

Between hair styles and choose your own clothes, including other Shinobis', Versus already almost did. Biggest things missing are hair color (color changes in general) and face. Personally I'd settle for just letting me palate swap things like Freedom Wars. My fav character creation so far. The anime style helped prevent my character from looking like a total monster like TES style things always do.

I think their mistake was how they want the players to use all the girls available, hence they have to write the motivation for them to fight each other and sometimes it feels forced against a character's personality. Conflict isn't an easy thing to write.

It's be better if they just use conflict of the whole school as oppose of each character, and let us use whoever we want. The flow would feel smoother.

Yeah it's a clear case of story not properly supporting gameplay,but honestly the current structure harms gameplay too. I hate the "rivals" crap they have going on because it means when I play as X character, I'm always going to be fighting their "opponent" from whichever school this chapter is against, with few exceptions. And in Versus there was always someone you fought twice, too.

For the people excited about a Vita release, wouldn't you definitely be more excited for the PS4 version? I would assume it runs substantially better than the vita version because of the obvious disparity. I have not procured a PS4 myself due to many issues but I do have a Vita
TV
, but I'm not going to pick up the Vita version. I'd rather see delicious Yumi in 1080p.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
For the people excited about a Vita release, wouldn't you definitely be more excited for the PS4 version? I would assume it runs substantially better than the vita version because of the obvious disparity. I have not procured a PS4 myself due to many issues but I do have a Vita
TV
, but I'm not going to pick up the Vita version. I'd rather see delicious Yumi in 1080p.
I don't have a PS4 yet either, but I'd just buy it twice; can't get enough Senrans.

Jawmuncher

After playing Shinovi Versus with a DS4 on PSTV. I can't go back to the vita.
Especially not with the mashing sections. So i'll be all for the PS4 version when it comes out and grab the vita version later down the line.

After playing Shinovi Versus with a DS4 on PSTV. I can't go back to the vita.
Especially not with the mashing sections. So i'll be all for the PS4 version when it comes out and grab the vita version later down the line.

Kind of off topic, but the DS4 is usable with it? Does it provide a better experience? I've been using a DS3 so far.

SerTapTap

Kind of off topic, but the DS4 is usable with it? Does it provide a better experience? I've been using a DS3 so far.

Better how? If you prefer the DS4, well...you're using the DS4 so yeah. The touch pad is really fucky on the PSTV (it either works amazingly or it only registers one tap until you remove your finger from it for some unnknown reason) but it doesn't really matter on SK anyway. It comes down to preference, though almost everyone in the world prefers the DS4.

Now all the game needs is a proper ass modeler and it's perfection..

The latest Minori (ie worst character) pic above seems to show major improvements in that regard. Still pretty flat, but at least they're less polygonal

antibolo

Banned
TV

I'm definitely going with the PS4 version because I can't play the SK games in public anyway. It's just too embarrassing.

My PSTV is actually my dedicated Senran Kagura console right now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yup, it's Senran-- I have the PS4 and Vita versions pre-ordered. Hopefully there's cross-save.

ShinMaruku

Likely will. I'm sure.

The meeting going on should be addressing some of this stuff. I'm sure the Sony third party team has it all under control .

SerTapTap

Double dipped but only for the figures. If I can get someone to buy I'll sell the Vita one but I probably won't bother honestly. Will play on PS4 for 1080
o
p
pai

TV
I need both of the figure sets.

Pics_nao

I need the figures so I'm getting both. I'll probably end up playing mostly on Vita anyway since I'll never be home to play on ps4.

Shinriji

TV

Cheaper. Suspend mode.

ShinMaruku

The bonus swag they put into collecters editions should make them maybe 200k more than they should have due to double dipping. I just want it on the go and at home.

FireCloud

What's the general consensus on whether this will be localized and be released in the West like KS:SV was?

I'd love it to be cross buy. But, if not, would seriously consider double dipping. If I were only getting one, I'd have a hard time picking between PS4 and Vita. I've enjoyed SV on Vita. (Though I agree it isn't exactly the sort of game to be playing out in public on the go.)

SerTapTap

What's the general consensus on whether this will be localized and be released in the West like KS:SV was?

I'd love it to be cross buy. But, if not, would seriously consider double dipping. If I were only getting one, I'd have a hard time picking between PS4 and Vita. I've enjoyed SV on Vita. (Though I agree it isn't exactly the sort of game to be playing out in public on the go.)

With a PS4 version? IMO no way XSeed sleeps on this, you'll probably wait at least a few months, fastest localization of SK they did so far is the cooking game, right? I wouldn't expect cross buy at all TBH. Mostly indies (western ones) do that

I can't think of a game I'd pay the $20 premium for the PS3 version over Vita, but the jump to PS4 is too big to pass on even if there isn't much effort on it, like Akiba's Trip for example.

Screenies are already well beyond what the Vita could provide, I'm ready for that PS4 version

TRI Mike

If Shinovi sold well (I dunno if it did), I'm sure we'll see Estival. It's looking very nice, even graphically which had me worried. I hope we get 60fps on it.

antibolo

Banned
I can't really see Xseed not localizing this game, especially since there's also a PS4 version now, which guarantees them a much wider audience.

SerTapTap

IMO SK2 is less likely than this game and I can still see them doing SK 2 if they did the cooking game. But there's like no chance they get the figures for the localization, so I'll be getting the japanese version at launch anyway. I just hope the broad strokes of the story get translated quickly

FireCloud

IMO SK2 is less likely than this game and I can still see them doing SK 2 if they did the cooking game. But there's like no chance they get the figures for the localization, so I'll be getting the japanese version at launch anyway. I just hope the broad strokes of the story get translated quickly

If the figures where Figma type figures, I could see that but I'm just not interested in the chibi figures. (Well, actually, I wouldn't be able to do anything with Figma figures if it came with that style either)

I'll have to see if we get any goodies if the game is localized; e.g. artbook, soundtrack, etc. Otherwise, I'll pickup the digital versions for PS4/Vita.

Jawmuncher

I'm expecting

SK2 digital only still
SK:EV Vita digital PS4 retail.
If they're trying to stay on the safe side.

Was there no hints about SK in that Xseed 2015 thread?

SerTapTap

Hopefully the stop being wussies like they were with SK1's release but I imagine the 3DS game's sales were worse in general anyway (and they should be, it's the worse game)

If the figures where Figma type figures, I could see that but I'm just not interested in the chibi figures. (Well, actually, I wouldn't be able to do anything with Figma figures if it came with that style either)

I'll have to see if we get any goodies if the game is localized; e.g. artbook, soundtrack, etc. Otherwise, I'll pickup the digital versions for PS4/Vita.

Larger figures would be cool (no figma though, articulation ruins quality) but insanely expensive and there's no way they'd be able to include more than one character. Sets of 5 chibis each is definitely the way to go for this.

Eolz

I'm pretty sure SK2, and both versions of EV will be localized.
Who knows what is going to end up a physical or digital release though.
I think it will be physical for SK2 in EU, digital in the US. Digital everywhere for EV Vita, no idea for EV PS4, don't see it releasing in the west before this fall or early 2016 anyway.

Not sure SK2 will get localized, as I guess MAQL will probably prefer to focus the franchise on Sony platforms for the time being. And as SK2 rewrote a lot of elements, plot-wise, releasing it in the west will only confuse fans even more.

ShinMaruku

Given that with the dlc and decent sales there is no way it does not come to the US. The games sold pretty well didn't they?

I have both the Vita and PS4 collectors editions preordered for import. Can't wait to dive into the hometown. Although I feel like I should've waited on localization.

Just went with the PS4 one for me. I would love to have both but I will wait to get the localization as well (hopefully).

Top Bottom