• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Lernaean

Banned
giphy.gif

Nice. Someone I agree with.

We are many, just not as loud.

Ralemont

not me
Everything is improved by suplexes.

Nothing, including actual wrestling matches, is improved by suplexes. There may be a geometric proof of people's boredom levels rising in proportion with # of suplexes, but I haven't checked. Now if they want to add a TLC match in the main police hall, that would be more fitting.

Your new main character for RE7 is gonna be Jake.

Jake coming back means a high chance of Sherry coming back. I approve.

How? I'm genuinely curious why people think Rev2 is such an amazing RE game. It's actually pretty low on my list of best entires in the series, Rev1 is better and even more of an RE game than Rev2.

It was so far the best compromise between modern controls and classic RE feel. It's obviously nowhere near as profound as something as REmake, but it had the right amount of puzzles, exploration, lowkey atmosphere and slower moments. All the ,,actioney" panic moments were even better because of that, whenever they happened. It wasn't only doing things from the past, but also new (horror) elements for the series in gameplay/level design, which were all well working. It had maybe the best story and characterisations of the series. It's not as over the top as RE5/6, not as intrusive with cutscenes, but still had the right amount of RE goofy. It also had fanservice done right.
Rev1 was very good on 3DS (i.e. with RE4 controls), but the non-Jill parts were jarring.

The thing about "horror" is that encompasses a HUGE variety of subgenres. Survival horror is only a one out of many others. Even if they actually said "we're going back to horror" it doesn't necessarily mean they're going back to RE1-RE3 style of play. Even RE6 was technically a horror game, using a more general definition of the term. The developers labeled it as a "dramatic horror."

I don't feel like they should bring back RE6 mechanics.

As much as I like it with the freedom to dodge,counter and move around, i just don't see it fit into a horror setting when we are much more powerful than the enemies.

They would have to make enemies with increased maneuverability which kinda makes it into an action game unless they add enemies that crawl and moves fast ala dead space.

Pejo

I feel like this is the same thing they said back when RE: Revelations came out, then the sequel to that game became a multi character shooter again.

Zukkoyaki

I think the perfect Resident Evil game would be like the Resident Evil 5 "Lost in Nightmares" DLC where Chris and Jill explore the Spencer Estate. It had the more modern control-scheme and some action yet it also absolutely oozed atmosphere and tension. You could feel your hairs rise up whenever you rounded a corner and enemies were actually intimidating due to a lack of ammo compared to the main game. It had some solid puzzles and a couple of genuine scares as well.

If the next main entry can somehow be something akin to a full-length version of that, I would be in heaven.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think what a lot of people are mistaking for the horror roots comment is three separate smaller things. Before Resident Evil 6 was officially revealed, there was a lot of rumors, none of them ended up being true. The most famous was a combo of a a teaser image, 'insider information', and this fake teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzTR3ggWYmM

The rumor claimed that the world was becoming almost post-apocalyptic and would be returning to the, 'isolated, horror roots of the originals,' or something along those lines. This was all hogwash, however.

With Resident Evil Revelations 1, they talked about how they were going to make a survival-horror game that would appeal to newer fans, but notable they never said this was returning to the series roots, they just said the game would mix things from the newer and older games on handheld, and they think fans of the older games may appreciate it. For Revelations 2 they said a similar thing, but also talked a lot about testing the episodic format. I quoted Revelations 1 a bit ago in this topic, here's what they said on Revelations 2:

Q: Revelations 2 seems much slower paced than a lot of current Resident Evil titles and it harkens back to the series’ survival horror roots. Does its episodic structure allow you to make it a more initimate, old school horror game than if you were working on one of the franchise’s bigger titles?

A: If you break down the series’ history, Resident Evil 1-3 are the classic era and the titles that came after that kind of modernized the series. Some players prefer the classic era and others like both. You’re right in saying Revelations 2 is a kind of back to basics title in the series. It’s very much following on from the concept that was core in the first Revelations; we wanted to merge the more up-to-date feel of the gameplay in the franchise’s later entries with the classic horror atmosphere of the earlier titles.
Its episodic structure gives us the chance to unfold the story at a slower pace and take our time with it a bit more. It also allows us to concentrate on making the atmosphere more oppressive. The game has been designed to make just walking down a corridor with nothing there as creepy and inherently scary as possible. It’s a great experience to play the game in a dark room with headphones on!

"Revelations, the place where it lives in the pantheon of the Resident Evil franchise, it's sort of serves as a bridge," he said. "It's got the best of both worlds: We've got the more traditional horror elements ... and the gameplay of the post-Resident Evil 4, action-centric era. it strikes a nice balance between the two. We're definitely focusing on the horror, but it kind of lives between those two extremes. "

^IS what they said for Revelations 2, though Revelations 2 was arguably the Resident Evil game that most recalled to the classics in both literal and design terms since RE4, I say this since I don't think what they were saying there was a lie, even if it may not have gone as far as some people would of liked it to.

People also keep saying they said this for Resident Evil 5, but to show what they did say, they never said it was returning to series roots:

Q: When you're working on making a horror game, are there pinpoints -- or tenants -- that you use to create the proper horror experience?

I think one thing that sets Resident Evil apart from other games where shooting is very important is that you often can't see where the enemies are in our game. Often in more typical shooting games it is very important that you be able to see all your enemies so you can maintain a line of sight and shoot them. But because we're making a horror game, it's very important to us that you can't see everything that's going on. It's one of our most important horror elements.

Another element is this set of limits we impose. A good horror doesn't allow you to do all the things you want to do. That's not scary. So the obvious example from RE5 is that you can't move and shoot at the same time. By imposing that restriction on the player it creates the feeling of horror and tension in the game. Creating that feeling is very important to us.

^But to notably, this is in response to a question about the horror in RE5. They originally advertised RE5 in part to being overswarmed by angry mobs who mutate, and later begin to sell the co-op angle, but they were banking on RE4's success, not 'going back to the classics,' and talked far more about it interviews.

Also to clarify, a member of Capcom actually said the OPPOSITE before Resident Evil 6 released, so all those saying Capcom said RE6 was returning to the roots is silly:

Some long-time Resident Evil fans might long for the "good old days" of the franchise, when early games in the series were deliberately-paced, nerve-wracking explorations into a "world of survival horror." Today, the series' emphasis is on action that rarely lets up.

But while there are those who'd love to see a return to classic Resident Evil gameplay, the market for that style -- "survival horror" -- just isn't viable enough to warrant the biggest investments, Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata told Gamasutra in an interview.

"Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction," Kawata said. "[Resident Evil's primary games] need to be an extension of the changes made in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.

"RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction," he said. "And I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is," he said.

That's what a producer said in March of 2012, before RE6 had released. People who think Capcom said RE6 was a return to the series roots are just mis-remembering completely.

---

Which leads to the main thing I think everyone is mistaking, and this is the most sensible one. Capcom refers to all of the Resident Evil games as horror games. I don't disagree with them being horror games,but horror is a broad stroke, there's a lot of sub-genres and types under that name. They're also very much action games, and action-horror is a thing. But Capcom advertised the action in the games too, even in the case of the Revelations games.

However, and this is to note, Capcom has never once claimed they were 'going back to the series roots.' In many cases, they actually argued against that claim, including the 'survival-horror is not liable' Capcom person I linked above.

Now I'm not expecting Resident Evil 7 to be exactly what a lot of people want, but I do think it'll be toned down a lot and darker than RE6, and I do think they'll try to make a more serious horror game. Not just because of what the guy on Twitter said again, I collected all the interviews for RE7 recently from 2017 onward, and what I've picked up from going through all of them is that they have said they think horror is liable again, they think the main series should be more experimental than the spin-offs for some reason, and they think people thought RE6 was too bloated.

My bets for a while is the game will probably still have action, which is fine as even the older RE games did and I don't think they should get rid of good gunplay in horror (and they can, in fact, make a horror game with good combat systems if they tried, but need to make more interesting/atmospheric locations and pacing, better diversity in gameplay away from shooting and a willingness to slow down, make twisted powerful things that aren't always the best option to shoot through, etc.), I doubt they're getting rid of co-op as that definitely helped RE5 and RE6 sell (I don't actually want them to get rid of co-op either, the number of good campaign co-op games is incredibly overstated, and I think Resident Evil 5 & 6 are some of the best, despite what people complain about them), but I think it will try to change the tables up again a lot ala RE4 and try some completely new systems, setting, and scenarios that tries to evolve the series again. They have talked about wanting to experiment in the main series and focusing on horror again, but I take it they aren't trying to make a classic-styled RE, or trying to make a RE4/RE5/RE6 game. My stance is they're probably trying to completely reinvent the series again, which we will see if that's true and what it looks like at E3 probably, I guess.

Neff

I think the perfect Resident Evil game would be like the Resident Evil 5 "Lost in Nightmares" DLC where Chris and Jill explore the Spencer Estate. It had the more modern control-scheme and some action yet it also absolutely oozed atmosphere and tension. You could feel your hairs rise up whenever you rounded a corner and enemies were actually intimidating due to a lack of ammo compared to the main game. It had some solid puzzles and a couple of genuine scares as well.

Yep, it's my favourite compromise between old and new RE so far, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Capcom took some cues from it for 7.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yep, it's my favourite compromise between old and new RE so far, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Capcom took some cues from it for 7.

While I know there's a bit of superficial element here since they both take place in mansions, the Lost in Nightmares DLC and
the underground mansion at the end of Revelations 2
were definitely the best realizations of bringing together classic and modern RE, in my opinion. Ignoring they take place in mansions, what also helps is the level design changes in these to be more open, have some back-tracking, and both provide a more mysterious element where you're not quite sure what to expect next, slow build-up moments and stronger atmosphere, and moments where the enemies play a much bigger threat due to design. There's more to be said, but I take both as an example Capcom CAN do it if they try, they just need some better direction to lead to it.

I would personally love a RE game that even kept the modern stuff if they were able to make a better paced and designed atmospheric moment with much stronger vibes like those two segments for a full game.

Brocken

Banned
I'm expecting an E3 trailer in the same fashion of P.T. but in third person and with some action. The mainline RE probably never goes back to the origins of the saga, but i could see Capcom taking inspiration in pacing and style from games like The Last of Us, P.T. and Alien Isolation.

Shauni

I'm expecting an E3 trailer in the same fashion of P.T. but in third person and with some action. The mainline RE probably never goes back to the origins of the saga, but i could see Capcom taking inspiration in pacing and style from games like The Last of Us, P.T. and Alien Isolation.

So you're expecting a trailer in the fashion of PT with a trailer that is...absolutely nothing like PT at all?

jrush64

Banned
You actually made the right decision being a RE fan. 6 wasn't even RE.

Thats funny because it's called Resident Evil 6, stars Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield, Resident Evil characters. Nice try though.

Anyway, I love the coop and hope it stays no matter which style of gameplay they go with.

If the next main entry can somehow be something akin to a full-length version of that, I would be in heaven.

That's the only thing I can see this being, tbh. A bigger budget, 8-10 hour version of "Lost in Nightmares". Co-op, measured pacing, plenty of action, unkillable thing stalking you, a few big bosses, a contained location you revisit/backtrack and get a sense of place with, puzzles and key items that open gates in areas you have to come back, all that shit. And some Mercs mode for the action junkies.

Better that then going the RE6 route of 20-25 hours of trying to be everything to everybody all at once.

People who still believe the new game will go back to survival horror. Here are some facts.

Best selling Resident Evil games

1. Resident Evil 5 - 7m
2. Resident Evil 6 - 6.5m
3. Resident Evil 4 (Wii/GC/PS2) - 5.9m
4. Resident Evil (PS1 All) - 5.08m
5. Resident Evil 2 - 4.96m
6. Resident Evil 3 - 3.5m

Anyone looking at the sales chart and planning their next game won't ever touch the original trilogy. In best case, we might get something akin to Resident Evil 4.

You're ignoring so many facts tho, such as the fact that the later games were released to a more widely available audience and a larger market, on multiple platforms. And the fact that, as sequels of either excellent or mostly okay quality (well, aside from Resi 6), they were probably set to sell better than the priors just due to being sequels.

Just because the newer games sold better than the old ones doesn't mean the sales are completely indicative of objective quality or that the market would reject a new installment taking lots of game mechanics from the old entries. To arrive at such a conclusion is preposterous.

The whole reason Shinji Mikami and Capcom even made RE4 was because the old survival horror games didnt sell when REmake disapointed

Shauni

I'm amazed at the back flips people will try to go through to downplay the success of the series post RE4. It's like they just can't fathom a world were people enjoy these games, perhaps as much if not more than the older games. Internet fandom can be so weird and insular with things sometimes.

The whole reason Shinji Mikami and Capcom even made RE4 was because the old survival horror games didnt sell when REmake disapointed

I mean shit what they did expect, they put that damn thing on the fucking Gamecube and then there was Zero which wasn't considered that good.

RE4 despite being one of the most acclaimed games of all time only sold 300k more than REmake.(on the GC) It was the PS2 and Wii versions that made up the bulk of RE4s sales.

I'm amazed at the back flips people will try to go through to downplay the success of the series post RE4. It's like they just can't fathom a world were people enjoy these games, perhaps as much if not more than the older games. Internet fandom can be so weird and insular with things sometimes.

I'm a huge fan of the games before RE4, but even I find those comments bothersome. At a certain point in the future there will end up being more action-focused games in the series than survival-focused ones. "Classic" fans are gonna have to come to terms with the fact that the series has simply gone in a different direction, and that doesn't mean it's not "Resident Evil" anymore. It's just a different Resident Evil.

Resident Evil 4 came out in 2005. We've had 11 years to come to grips with that fact. Some people are taking their sweet time.

JayEH

shhhh people don't want the truth.

People are quick to point out Remake and RE0 HD sold well recently but when you bring up sales 4 and beyond sales don't matter.

Jawmuncher

Considering we're getting a RE2make. I don't see capcom making this as "back to roots" as some people seem to think. They have stated before that they think keeping the fans happy through numerous games doing different things is the best way.

Neff

That's the only thing I can see this being, tbh. A bigger budget, 8-10 hour version of "Lost in Nightmares". Co-op, measured pacing, plenty of action, unkillable thing stalking you, a few big bosses, a contained location you revisit/backtrack and get a sense of place with, puzzles and key items that open gates in areas you have to come back, all that shit. And some Mercs mode for the action junkies.

Crank this bad boy up to 15-18 hours and you may have something which would appease both camps spectacularly.

Akiller

Considering we're getting a RE2make. I don't see capcom making this as "back to roots" as some people seem to think. They have stated before that they think keeping the fans happy through numerous games doing different things is the best way.
Considering the Revelations Series Too and mostly.

JunkoEve

Everybody every where trash RE6 and RE5 somewhat but they sold so much? How? Did I miss something. I am not a RE fan btw, out of Capcom's list of IP's it's near the bottom for me.

"Everybody"? They are far from majority. The people who complain the most are the survival horror niche group (also hardcore gamers) who are the minority (~30%) based on RE sales numbers (there's a formula for that). But they make the most noise because they feel spiteful that Capcom no longer cares or want to be cool by being heard (self expression), plus they are always in game forums. These people do not represent everybody.

Bishop89

Probably already covered, but the final resident Evil movie is releasing end of year? would make sense if the game comes out end of year

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hope it's more like Revelations 2 than RE6. I love RE6 but Rev 2 was the perfect "step back" in terms of toning down the action.

Also bring back multiple storylines. RE6 did that better than most games that try. LOVED watching the different paths intersect.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Sounds like the only way to get me back on board. Haven't liked the series since what they did with 4.

I definitely liked RE6 than most of GAF but I realize it has a lot of issues. Man if it was like 1/3-1/2 of Leon's campaign for the entire game it would've been great.

AdaWong

Put me in the game again so I can compete with Chris when it comes to being in two main numbered games consecutively!

Top Bottom