• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was thinking of getting this game but I need know does Shantae have any form of attacks other than her hair whip? I didn't like using it when I played Risky's Revenge as I found it to be clunky.

Skeletos311

I was thinking of getting this game but I need know does Shantae have any form of attacks other than her hair whip? I didn't like using it when I played Risky's Revenge as I found it to be clunky.

She has magic items, but they're not any more useful than Castlevania items or something. You can't really play the whole game like that.

The hair does go a lot faster when you upgrade it but like above she does have magic powers. Those can upgrade too and become much faster. Also she has some transformations that can attack.

Cheerilee

It must be, and I think it's complete bullshit. Like, I went to every retail store in downtown Vancouver yesterday, and they all said the same thing. (Despite the other versions being available.)

The Wii U version ran into an unexpected delay in the final approval, so advance digital copies weren't able to be sent to Kickstarter backers. The Wii U version just barely managed to get ready in time for the digital launch.

That delay caused the Wii U version to miss the bus on the physical version. It rushed and caught a later bus and wasn't too late for physical in America, but the later bus didn't get as lucky on it's timing for the connection up into Canada as the original bus did, so it's even more noticeably late up here in Canada (Amazon.ca says it won't arrive until January 3).

Shit happens.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Huh. Ended at 98%. I have no idea what I was missing. Everything in the inventory appeared complete.

Anyone have any ideas?

pswii60

I haven't played the previous games in the series so this is my first Shantae.

I'll start with the bad: I absolutely hate how talky this game is. I don't mind in RPGs or point and click adventures, where there is a decent story or some good witty humour, but in a platformer and with such a nonsensical story and ludicrous 'humour', it's just irritating.

However, that aside, the game is fucking great. The gameplay is an absolute ton of fun, it looks beautiful, and the music is on another level. PROPER videogame music and I love it. So on this basis I can forgive the talky stuff :)

Opa-Pa

Huh. Ended at 98%. I have no idea what I was missing. Everything in the inventory appeared complete.

Anyone have any ideas?

The Snake girl's items count for the 100% so you have to get each at least once (you trade them for the ones you already have). Also don't forget to talk to the mayor after getting all the keys.

Windtrick

First time playing and finishing a Shantae game, it was really fun. I can't help but feel the game peaked early on and the last portion of it including the final level/boss were really... lackluster, I suppose? It just felt underwhelming after amazing levels like the second. It felt like it needed a few levels more. But I did enjoy my time with it and will probably pick up Pirate's Curse as a result. Recommend a buy for any on the fence or interested!

plufim

As a kickstarter backer for WiiU in Australia, I got my code super late as all PAL backers did.

But it doesn't even work. Put my email to wayforward support and no response after 8 days.

Any other backers for Aus who had code problems?

Ferrio

Banned
Just finished, this game really wears out it's welcome quick. A lot of the power-ups were redundant and seemed to be just put in the game because they didn't wanna waste the assets (like wtf was the spider one for even?). I was pretty much forcing myself to finish it at the end. I face palmed when the last section was a repeat of an autoscroller we already had gone through. Beautiful art and music, but not enough to carry the gameplay imo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The spider-transformation really only has one or two uses if you get it before the harpy. I think for only one optional item near the end, would I say it was required. But yes, it felt the least useful out of all the transformations. Perhaps crab was 2nd, but at least that let me explore the water a bit before getting the other water-related one.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, it's sad but I'd say after thinking about it, this is probably my least favorite Shantae game. It's not /bad/, but has a lot of flaws and you can tell they ran out ideas at some point or simply didn't find a way to implement everything they initially planned.

Normally when I finish a Shantae game I always think of replaying it in the future. In this case I thought of platinuming it, but after imagining going through those stages again... No thanks, I had my fix.

It's a pity because until this point I considered the new games in the series were always better than the last in almost every way.

Kinda ironic that having backed both, I ended up enjoying MN9 more haha.

Finally finished the game, about 7 hours and 90% of items so far.

It's got fantastic art, but man, harpy controls ruin a small chunk of the game for me.

Would have liked to see what the other stretch goal stages woudl have been like, and i'm somewhat looking forward to RB mode.

Menitta

I'm gonna pick this up tonight. How's the Wii U version? I buy most indie games like this on Wii U.

Edit: Bought it. I love animation of Shantae and Sky on Wrench in the level select. It looks like something out of a Disney movie. Not the biggest fan of Shantae's actual look in this. Her eyes are too far apart. I much preferred her Pirate's Curse sprite. I'll deal though. Music is great.

Wii U version of Half-Genie Hero arrived on Thursday! Now I have the physical collection!

w5P12HQ.jpg

CazTGG

My physical Vita version was apparently damaged a few weeks back, according to Amazon.

2016 never ceases to disappoint in how awful a year it's been.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So... the game's been out for a little while. Is there any comparison between the various versions yet? PC version seems to have the typical minor issues Wayforward ports do, so I'm still wondering if the PS4 is actually the way to go here.

Skeletos311

So... the game's been out for a little while. Is there any comparison between the various versions yet? PC version seems to have the typical minor issues Wayforward ports do, so I'm still wondering if the PS4 is actually the way to go here.

I've played through both the Wii U and PC versions. I think the PC version is the best one. The Wii U version is missing some effects, but runs smoothly. The PS4 version has the effects, but does not run smoothly. I haven't heard much about XBO. Vita apparently has framerate issues from what I've heard. I don't know what the PC issues are. I played through the PC version and it ran great on a R290X.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've played through both the Wii U and PC versions. I think the PC version is the best one. The Wii U version is missing some effects, but runs smoothly. The PS4 version has the effects, but does not run smoothly. I haven't heard much about XBO. Vita apparently has framerate issues from what I've heard. I don't know what the PC issues are. I played through the PC version and it ran great on a R290X.

Huh... PS4 has frame rate issues with this? Kinda surprising. And disappointing. Thanks for the breakdown.

Amalthea

Banned
Are those black & purple goo monsters in this?
(Not the Tinkerbats.)
I hope not. They piss me off so much. Might be worse than medusa heads.

As solid as this game was I feel the need to just say, it has some of the worst abilities you can discover in any game.
Mouse bite? Spider Venom? Harpy Feather shot? sheesh, this stuff should come with the transformation by default, they have pretty much no place as their damage sucks and using them restricts your mobility to the transformed forms.
The Harpy attack is basically there to make farming pots in Tassle Town less tedious.

As well as actual required abilities that nary get used, going up the waterfalls leaps to mind.

Huh... PS4 has frame rate issues with this? Kinda surprising. And disappointing. Thanks for the breakdown.

Finished the game with 100% on Xbox. I didn't experience any performance issues.

Pachinko

I quite enjoyed this game when all was said and done.

+ Graphics were fantastic, love the hi-res fully animated sprites even if they are "flash" style
+ Music was great as it always is , the transition to higher quality samples didn't diminish the charm for me one bit
+ controls were still on point as they've always been.
+ The megaman style structure actually worked quite well for me , made the game flow a bit faster compared to metroid style
+ Magic system replacing item system , it's just better having spells that you upgrade, makes them more likely to get used

- Finishing the game with an auto-scrolling level was a very very bad idea. If I've beaten the final boss , I don't want to have a frustrating section closing out a game, especially one that lacks checkpoints. It really kills the mood going from "yeah, I beat the game" to "oh wait ... there's this annoying shitty stage to suck the life out of me and kill the afterglow of beating the final boss by dying 35 times 80% of the way through". Put stuff like this in the middle of the game , not at the very end.

- The only weak boss fight design gets used 3 times

- The game is too easy to break , I suppose you could choose not to make yourself OP by the end but why would you do that ? You have access to unlimited magic if you complete a certain task and unlimited magic also means unlimited money which means you can max out your spells easily which means you gain access to a shield that makes you impervious to all damage.

+ That said, the final level forces you to use a lot of transformations that you can't activate that spell for so it ends up still being challenging at a couple points at least ... although you can also give yourself unlimited health through 2 separate means so it's not as though you'd actually get a game over

- Finally, this is more of an issue with how big this game was clearly intended to be - the base funding amount back in 2013 looks to have included only Scuttle Town, Mermaid Falls , Hypno Barons Castle and I'm guessing what became the final stage. The stretch goals were - Rival genie Chapter, Magic Carpet Races Chapter (both funded) , Nega-Shantae chapter and finally what looks like an epilogue chapter with Risky Boots. Following the megman lead rather than wonder boy - each stage is set up to have a transformation and I can imagine the basic intent was to have the transformation from stage 1 be required in stage 2 and so on. Given that a couple levels were cut due to funding goals not being achieved though ... coupled with all the intended transformations making it in anyway , you end up with a game that has a dozen forms but only a use for half of them. I mean, I've put this in the minus category but it's more of a frustration that Shantae didn't make enough crowd funding cash to be "finished" in the way it looks to have been planned.

On the flipside though ! in much the same way that Pirates Curse feels like the other half of Risky's Revenge - I'm hoping that Wayforward plans a sequel to 1/2 Genie hero that makes use of those 2 cut stage ideas , turning them into a bigger title. WF could probably pull off a full blown metroid style game - 1 big dungeon with various items / bosses/ transformations and possibly even the ability to play as Risky OR shantae throughout the entire thing.

Overall I enjoyed 1/2 genie hero quite a bit , I'd say it's just behind Pirates Curse but had it been fully funded I feel it would have been the greatest one. One thing is for sure - I wish I'd spent 0$ on mighty number 9 and put it all on this instead. This game is 10 times better than MN9 could ever hope to be.

I've been humming the music from this game for days. Despite its ups and dens, it really does have an incredible soundtrack.

VariantX

I kind of wish in new game+ or hero mode or whatever you want to call it we could:

-transform underwater to other underwater forms.
-transform directly from any one transformation to another without having to revert to human form first.

Bog

Junior Ace
It's a shame this game was so easy. I'm playing Pirate's Curse now and it makes HGH seem overly streamlined.

The bikini that lets you take half damage ruined the difficulty the same way the similarly powered tunic ruined ALBW's. And that's not even getting into the invincibility spell combined with the 'halved magic points' skill.

Waggles

Despite improvements to the gameplay itself, I gotta echo the same sentiments as many of you - 1/2 Genie is the weakest entry yet, barring the original, which I've yet to play.

I'd consider it below Risky's Revenge, and honestly wouldn't recommend it above $10, and that's assuming you're already a fan of the series.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm stuck.

I clearly need an upgrade for the crab in order to get the remaining blob fish and by extension the second race ticket but I have no clue where it could be. I figured it would be in the area where you use the spider and bat but I was wrong. The girl in the bath house is no help at all.

CazTGG

I'm stuck.

I clearly need an upgrade for the crab in order to get the remaining blob fish and by extension the second race ticket but I have no clue where it could be. I figured it would be in the area where you use the spider and bat but I was wrong. The girl in the bath house is no help at all.

Smash the rock on the right-most room, bottom-right. You get an upgrade for the crab form.

JackelZXA

As solid as this game was I feel the need to just say, it has some of the worst abilities you can discover in any game.
Mouse bite? Spider Venom? Harpy Feather shot? sheesh, this stuff should come with the transformation by default, they have pretty much no place as their damage sucks and using them restricts your mobility to the transformed forms.
The Harpy attack is basically there to make farming pots in Tassle Town less tedious.

As well as actual required abilities that nary get used, going up the waterfalls leaps to mind.

This is how it was in Risky's Revenge and the GBC game. The Spider Venom in the GBC game is useless for everything except cheesing Risky in the final fight. The forms aren't really supposed to be a replacement for shantae, just a unique way of doing metroid style powerups. (The harpy feather shot is very useful when you use it to cancel forward momentum in the lava stage at the end. I kind of wonder if the spider venom would be good against risky in this game too...)

- Finishing the game with an auto-scrolling level was a very very bad idea. If I've beaten the final boss , I don't want to have a frustrating section closing out a game, especially one that lacks checkpoints. It really kills the mood going from "yeah, I beat the game" to "oh wait ... there's this annoying shitty stage to suck the life out of me and kill the afterglow of beating the final boss by dying 35 times 80% of the way through". Put stuff like this in the middle of the game , not at the very end.

You can use shantae's flamethrower and lightning beam spells to float in the air at the end, if you have the tiara you can use them for the whole stage.

- The only weak boss fight design gets used 3 times

Which one?

- The game is too easy to break , I suppose you could choose not to make yourself OP by the end but why would you do that ? You have access to unlimited magic if you complete a certain task and unlimited magic also means unlimited money which means you can max out your spells easily which means you gain access to a shield that makes you impervious to all damage.

Why would you do that? To make it harder, obviously. (On second playthroughs of these games I find myself not going for 100% as much, and just playing with a subset of the abilities and upgrades, which i find makes replays enjoyable) It's the SOTN thing, where they just let you become a walking god, only this game doesn't have mandatory level ups that make it impossible to scale your powers down. (Imagine if SOTN's level ups were a relic...)

- Finally, this is more of an issue with how big this game was clearly intended to be - the base funding amount back in 2013 looks to have included only Scuttle Town, Mermaid Falls , Hypno Barons Castle and I'm guessing what became the final stage. The stretch goals were - Rival genie Chapter, Magic Carpet Races Chapter (both funded) , Nega-Shantae chapter and finally what looks like an epilogue chapter with Risky Boots. Following the megman lead rather than wonder boy - each stage is set up to have a transformation and I can imagine the basic intent was to have the transformation from stage 1 be required in stage 2 and so on. Given that a couple levels were cut due to funding goals not being achieved though ... coupled with all the intended transformations making it in anyway , you end up with a game that has a dozen forms but only a use for half of them. I mean, I've put this in the minus category but it's more of a frustration that Shantae didn't make enough crowd funding cash to be "finished" in the way it looks to have been planned.

yeah I bet they would have done more with the spider form in these other levels at least. Maybe someday we'll get a director's cut rerelease with all the dlc bundled together with extra stages?

On the flipside though ! in much the same way that Pirates Curse feels like the other half of Risky's Revenge - I'm hoping that Wayforward plans a sequel to 1/2 Genie hero that makes use of those 2 cut stage ideas , turning them into a bigger title. WF could probably pull off a full blown metroid style game - 1 big dungeon with various items / bosses/ transformations and possibly even the ability to play as Risky OR shantae throughout the entire thing.

Overall I enjoyed 1/2 genie hero quite a bit , I'd say it's just behind Pirates Curse but had it been fully funded I feel it would have been the greatest one. One thing is for sure - I wish I'd spent 0$ on mighty number 9 and put it all on this instead. This game is 10 times better than MN9 could ever hope to be.

Yeah I wish the same thing. I wonder how much more successful another kickstarter would be now that they've put out two more shantae games and really put the series on the map.

It's a shame this game was so easy. I'm playing Pirate's Curse now and it makes HGH seem overly streamlined.

The bikini that lets you take half damage ruined the difficulty the same way the similarly powered tunic ruined ALBW's. And that's not even getting into the invincibility spell combined with the 'halved magic points' skill.

Yeah depending on what i'm looking for i'll skip or disable some powers. In Risky's Revenge the game is much harder if you skip pike ball and don't buy alot of potions, for instance. Pirate's Curse had a similar thing with it's Super Monster Milk, Bubble, Pike Balls nonsense. Disabling stuff to make it harder or just not buying those things is part of the intent and kind of fun when you commit to a ruleset.

I'm stuck.

I believe all the blobfishes are underwater in the Mermaid Factory map.

Well this thread took a dark turn with people's feelings for the game.

Probably because most of the thread beat the game a 2 or 3 times in the two months and are off waiting for the dlc. ;p

Well I mean the game did come out almost a whole week before the actual release. I'd be surprised if no one didn't finish it.

Plus I never used any of the power ups like the invisibility or fireball. I mean I upgraded everything and all but it never appealed to me. Made the game a lot more fun for me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I have no problem with game-breaking power-ups/upgrades, the problem is that these games are already quite easy without them; the games exist on a mega-casual, "let everyone see all the content without any trouble" level and a meta-game speedrunning level (which I enjoy for many games but not these ones--most of the items/abilities simply aren't that interesting) but there's no intermediate level for people who want to play a challenging action game on its own terms.

I know it's a tired comparison but I think Shovel Knight did a much better job of making the game interesting on all fronts, whereas HGH is merely "good enough" in a lot of aspects.

Rizzi

I beat the game.
Backtracking in this game drove me nuts, especially since it was going through the same levels over and over. Not really great..

Fitz

I have no problem with game-breaking power-ups/upgrades, the problem is that these games are already quite easy without them; the games exist on a mega-casual, "let everyone see all the content without any trouble" level and a meta-game speedrunning level (which I enjoy for many games but not these ones--most of the items/abilities simply aren't that interesting) but there's no intermediate level for people who want to play a challenging action game on its own terms.

I know it's a tired comparison but I think Shovel Knight did a much better job of making the game interesting on all fronts, whereas HGH is merely "good enough" in a lot of aspects.

This pretty much echoes my feelings. They could have done with splitting some of the content, such as the gallery keys, into optional more challenging sections, perhaps also providing a use for the excessive number of transformations. The only spell combo I have a major issue with is
infinite mana+invincibility
, which is too op even for a ng+ imo.
I wasn't a fan of the change to the art style initially, but I warmed to it by the end, only some of the environments are a bit bland. Tassel Town tower background for example is just black.

I enjoyed the game well enough overall not to regret the purchase, but it could have been so much more.

DrArchon

Beat the game last night. It's a shame that it's so short, because I was having a blast with most of it, but they'd have needed a second Kickstarter to make it any longer I reckon.

It's weird how many abilities in the game are completely useless though.
Spider Venom
and
Mouse Bite
immediately come to mind as abilities I used once as soon as I got them and then immediately ignored for the rest of the game, and I'm pretty sure
Bat Sonar
was only required in one area as well. I think I honestly used Blobfish Dance more than any of those combined, just because of how goofy it is.

Also (final level spoilers),
fuck the whole last level. What a piece of shit to deal with. Controlling the Harpy with any degree of precision is a nightmare, and because all of the pits and spikes = restarting the area, I had to replay so many sections over and over again.

And the slide! Oh, the slide! So much worse than the one in Mermaid Falls. No signposting about upcoming pits, you can't use half of the screen because of the lava, the grab detection on the rings is finicky at best, it's just awful. At least all 3 boss fights were solid.

Opa-Pa

I'm seriously wondering if they actually planned the backtracking from the start or just used it as a solution to not being able to fund more stages, because the game would be awfully short otherwise, but it doesn't feel organic let alone fun at all.

I was sad that they dropped the Metroidvania formula, but if they made an actual classic platformer it'd have been great, it's just that the tacked on backtracking feels out of place and made me start hating every stage in the game enough to not want to go for another playthrough. An arcadey, stage by stage EASY platformer is super dull too. I can forgive difficulty in games with big worlds to explore but in this it's infinitely worse.

Iokis

I played this game over Christmas and I have to say I was disappointed.

The game made the transition to HD well, with charming visuals and a strong soundtrack, and Shantae controls as well as she ever did. I enjoyed the game's levels for the most part and love the silly humour that permeates much of the story and dialogue, like in the past games.

But...A lot of the game was tedious, particularly as a completionist. I had initially hoped that the game had learnt from the past by throwing tons of money as you, before I discovered that they made the cost of buying everything from the shop ridiculous. I went through the levels many times on my way to 100% and didn't use the warp dance that much (as I was often unsure which bit of the level had the things I was missing) and still had to grind over 3000 gems at the end of the game to buy all the spell upgrades I was missing. I know you can use the GemJug spell, but that doesn't make the process less boring.

There were also too many transformations. I will be honest and say I was never a big fan of the whole transformation thing, what with it necessitating (an albeit small) pause in the flow of gameplay to transform, but I don't recall it being too obnoxious in Risky's Revenge, and obviously Pirate's Curse sidestepped the whole issue beautifully, but here it bordered on obnoxious how often you had to transform. Just traversing a level involved having to change every two seconds to make a jump as a monkey, go back to human to whip an enemy out of the way, change back to a monkey, go back to human to whip a pot, back to monkey and so on. It grated on me after a while. Some forms were frankly unnecessary and were used to solve maybe two puzzles in the entire game each, particularly the bat and spider. Also annoying was finding an upgrade super late in the game that simply adds an attack to one of these forms that you just don't need by that point in the game and certainly wouldn't choose over the ridiculous damage output that your hair whip offers by then. I also heavily disliked Harpy form, as being able to fly makes the idea of the game being a platformer redundant and you were then forced to fly around each level's skybox to see if anything was hidden there (and there was). I'd have much preferred if they had kept it down to three or max four transformations (not necessarily the same forms as in the past - just less) and gave them more abilities each, than eight forms which get an attack and maybe one gimmick you use to clear one room with.

I'm in two minds about the Mega Man-esque stage select - I had no problem with it for Pirate's Curse and even in HGH I enjoyed having to sometimes think a little bit about where I needed to backtrack to next, though I do prefer a Metroidvania style.

Ultimately I enjoyed the game for maybe the first half of my time with it but became increasingly burnt out with the tedium of fiddling with the sheer number of transformations, and the comparative lack of joy in 100%ing the game compared to previous games means I'm sad to say this is the first Shantae I won't bother replaying. Will probably still give Shantae 5 a bash though, as I like the characters and goofiness of the series too much.

Haganeren

Hum... Just began with the game but i'm a bit... Disappointed...

I mean, for me Shantae was always at the limit of being a RPG since the first episode. (Which had an horrible overworld by the way, so it wasn't a perfect game at all !) The transformation to Metroidvania was fine and i loved how they put different style of level in Pirate Curse. Like the level where you are taken as a "princess" and you have to escape or the level where you have to run with that zombie girl... Zombie girl i actually loved with the way more eery death island. That game really had a ton of personallity.

But this one.... I don't know, the three levels i have done (so the city, the mermaid factory (which was actually the best one i think) and desert right now) and well... It's linear so it's already a disappointment for me who loved the "dungeon" approach of the old game but in addition of that it's actually quite big but the Level Design isn't as tight as, say, Shovel Knight. (Or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, or even that Yoshi Yarn i played not long ago)

Some session are kinda annoying too, the slide one was a bit too long, the big creature in the desert tower always trapped me in some dead end i didn't see coming... And... I don't know the world seems a lot more empty, not as much dialog as before, the giga mermaid never talk to Shantae and a lot of dialog feels like it abruptly end... And i don't see a really "new" character or an interesting twist of an existing one for now. (Except that funny part with the male friend in the mermaid factory.. Which is still my favorite level for now) I just saw the transition with the whole "memory loss" deal and it was... So abrupt it still felt empty to me... Meh.

So yeah i find the game... Quite underwhelming to be honest... The transformations isn't really that cool, have the same properties as before so i'm not really surprised for now. The dance don't have any purpose since... You can't dance. (I can understand it was annoying to transform each time with the danse but maybe they could have used it for other stuff like the Ocarina of OOT ? A danse for each teleportation ? Or unlocking stuff ?)

I hope it will picks up a bit.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished it. Overall I like it a lot more than the original and Risky's Revenge, but it's a pretty big step down from Pirate's Curse.

I don;t see myself doing challenge runs and speed runs in the future but I will probably fire it up every once and a while and just do some casual any% runs.

I'm looking forward to the other playable characters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm....not really digging that Rescue Girl/Credits theme remix from MSF2.

Will those costumes actually do anything different, or are they cosmetic only?

Psxphile

I'm....not really digging that Rescue Girl/Credits theme remix from MSF2.

Will those costumes actually do anything different, or are they cosmetic only?

I figured they're just cosmetic, but maybe some minute differences in running speed, jump height or some kind of passive ability? Would be neat if each of them came with an exclusive "magic" attack that you could select besides the ones you can buy in the shop. But I don't think that was ever part of the stretch goal... but neither was exclusive music.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Honestly, considering how quickly you can beat the game (maybe 6 hours at the most on your first playthrough), I feel like costumes this late wouldn't really do much to encourage me to replay the game after getting the platinum.

I'll replay as Risky Boots since I'm sure she'll have a different move set & hopefully a different story/dialogue, but otherwise, it's too late for me to care about cosmetic costumes.

Top Bottom