• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

Spaghetti

anyone know if there will eventually be a retail PS4 copy in the future in stores? can't really be spending too much money right now.
indications say that it's not certain, so better be safe than sorry and pitch in for a copy now if you can.

the good news is that there's 95 days left of the slacker backer campaign to dig up $60.

There needs to be another 30 on the 3rd campaign, get those donations rolling.

I guess the pace will pick up after the paycheck comes in a few days. That, and of course closer to the end of the funding period. I know that is when I will drop a few hundred €.

indications say that it's not certain, so better be safe than sorry and pitch in for a copy now if you can.

the good news is that there's 95 days left of the slacker backer campaign to dig up $60.

Wait, so the retail copy is only for Kickstarter backers only and won't be available in store?

ajim

Wait, so the retail copy is only for Kickstarter backers only and won't be available in store?
There's no confirmation yet. Ideally it would be nice to be at retail, but it was just going to be a digital download until demand brought on-board the physical copy 'exclusively' through ks.

Hopefully with enoufh demand and the game shaping up well we were see a retail one.

But nothing ia certain. It is self funded after all...

Elija2

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

I'm surprised that there's already anything playable, or at least enough playable to give an enthusiastic impression. I mean, surely all he did was move Ryo around in a small environment. Is that all it takes to prove that "the genius is back"?

Spaghetti

nobody really knows, but it's unlikely we'll find out until the game is about to ship in 2017. it's better to be safe than sorry and get a copy now, and at the same time ensure the money is going straight to the devs instead of a middle-man like a retailer getting a cut.

There needs to be another 30 on the 3rd campaign, get those donations rolling.
What did the first one encompass?

And lame question #2: I backed on KS, but I'm assuming my amount paid doesn't cross over if I want a higher reward tier does it? Dropped $250 initially. 50 bones more for the Yu variant may be doable in the future but only if I just add to my already paid funds.

Shenmue

Banned
My personal requests for add-ons would be:

1) say... $60-100 for Yu's autograph on the game boxart itself instead of just on the printed illustration.

2) Steelbook or just a regular case with special boxart that holds not only the Shenmue 3 disc(s), but 8 more slots to hold our Dreamcast versions of Shenmue 1 and 2. I would easily pay $100 for this and I think production costs would be cheap for them. I figure a nice steelbook couldn't possibly cost more than $5 or so to produce right? And that way I could make my own Shenmue 1-3 Collection.

I backed at the $1,200 chibi you tier, but I would like to give them more money. But so far these add-ons (digital soundtrack) don't really do anything for me seeing as how I have the physical soundtrack in the package already.

The Shenmue crowdfunding lost a lot of momentum due to crappy PR work. It's really only the fans right now that try to keep it stable where it is.

Guy who made all of the Shenmue HD renders has officially joined the team it seems.

His YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sseega

He really captured the feel of the locations in a way that a lot of these HD remake fan projects don't manage. Given how much Yu Suzuki has talked about how important conveying the atmosphere of the settings was to him, it's a nice move to get someone who seems to have gotten that to work on the game.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but as of 3rd October, $45,921 has been pledged on the Slacker Backer Campaign via PayPal.

Total Amount Pledged is $6,379,216, compared to the ending $6,333,295 on Kickstarter.

Not sure how to feel about that; just wish the campaign was handled a bit better, but I'm just happy the game is getting made I guess. I mean post-Kickstarter games (like Star Citizen) have reached $80 million+ on funding after they used KS, just wish the same level of success was the same for Shenmue 3 lol, but it is what it is.

GavinGT

Banned
Not sure if this has already been posted, but as of 3rd October, $45,921 has been pledged on the Slacker Backer Campaign via PayPal.

Total Amount Pledged is $6,379,216, compared to the ending $6,333,295 on Kickstarter.

Not sure how to feel about that; just wish the campaign was handled a bit better, but I'm just happy the game is getting made I guess. I mean post-Kickstarter games (like Star Citizen) have reached $80 million+ on funding after they used KS, just wish the same level of success was the same for Shenmue 3 lol, but it is what it is.

Star Citizen is making its money by selling in-game upgrades to maniacs. Shenmue doesn't have that luxury.

The Paypal campaign will net them $200k at most. In line with what Bloodstained did.

Star Citizen is making its money by selling in-game upgrades to maniacs. Shenmue doesn't have that luxury.

The Paypal campaign will net them $200k at most. In line with what Bloodstained did.

Fair point, I guess that's how it really did get popular with crowdfunding.

JP

Guy who made all of the Shenmue HD renders has officially joined the team it seems.

His YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sseega
What I really like about his work is that they're just spot on atmospherically and tonally which so often isn't the case when people do work like this.

Anyway, backed the PayPal project too now, I don't anything significant is going to come of the PayPal campaign but it all helps.

Rymuth

New interview with Suzuki-san

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue
"Before I came on stage, there was Final Fantasy 7. It was such a huge reception from the crowd! I was really worried how people were going to take it." <...> "When Final Fantasy came on, people were like 'raaaaagh,'" Suzuki says, his face lighting up with a smile. "When it was Shenmue, it was more like 'squuuuueeeee'. People all over were coming to give me congratulations, to pat me on the back. It was unreal."

"I could do with a bit more money! The game itself doesn't have to be gorgeous visually - a lot of the money these days goes into the graphics. If we perhaps compromise on the graphics and put more into the story, we can make a good game. The most important thing, to me, is that the game's interesting, and that it's something people want to play."

Spaghetti

Since that grand reveal, Suzuki's life has changed. Now he gets into his office for 6.30am, leaving at 10pm for the hour and a half journey back home. And now he's working through weekends, too. He doesn't have time to indulge in his hobbies, like billiards, but he seems happier, more animated than when I last met him. Back then he was unable to talk freely about Shenmue 3, though clearly it consumed him. Now he's back in his prime, working the long hours he once revelled in - AM2, his old department at Sega, was apparently given its name due to the fact they'd always be working at two in the morning - and enjoying getting stuck into development on this scale again.
whoah shit

yu putting in the work

but yeah, fuck the title of that article, even if the article itself is okay. comments section isn't a total mess either.

Top Bottom