• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

I didn't back this and to be totally honest I don't have a lot of interest in it, but I'd very much like Shenmue 1 & 2 HD so I can experience the series from the beginning and try to understand why its so beloved. I'll sling out a tweet to my 30-odd followers.

Rymuth

I didn't back this and to be totally honest I don't have a lot of interest in it, but I'd very much like Shenmue 1 & 2 HD so I can experience the series from the beginning and try to understand why its so beloved. I'll sling out a tweet to my 30-odd followers.
If you can, do please use #saveshenmueHD

Cheers, mate.

Just a heads up

Ive already come across another article from another website , using quotes from this interview out of context

Get ready to be annoyed guys

Spaghetti

Just a heads up

Ive already come across another article from another website , using quotes from this interview out of context

Get ready to be annoyed guys
polygon just put something up

not surprised it's from ben kuchera

keep being a big fat joke, polygon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

keep being a big fat joke, polygon ¯_(ツ)_/¯

just read the article. what the hell is up with his tone?

that last bit in particular

Shenmue 3 may be the best-funded game in history that ends with a "To Be Continued" message or, even better, a link to a second Kickstarter so we may continue to disappoint Suzuki with our mere millions of dollars.

this from the same man who played mental gymnastics when the tomb raider exclusivity deal was announced. Suzuki appears to have shown nothing but the most sincere appreciation to the fan base.

I am sure communication could have been better about the 10 million stuff, but its not like Suzukib hasn't been sitting on a rough outline of the story for nearly 20 years and knows what is needed.

sublimit

Banned

keep being a big fat joke, polygon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah i saw that an hour ago,thought about making a thread about it but then said "no fuck it that's exactly what that asshole wants".

Its possible that I don't understand all of the details of the deals but this kickstarter confuses me, not at all like HB's excellent campaigns for Shadowrun and soon Battletech (YAY!).

It all feels shady and I don't understand why if they want more money they keep it console exclusive to PS4? I know plenty of people who would donate if it would come to the console they prefer, i'm sure they aren't alone.

What was the Sony money for, and why didn't they just fund it instead of spending on the rights to have dlc for call of duty early?

whatever the answers to those questions are, this already is starting to feel a bit like star citizen for me, glad I haven't put cash into either.

Spaghetti

just read the article. what the hell is up with his tone?

that last bit in particular

this from the same man who played mental gymnastics when the tomb raider exclusivity deal was announced. Suzuki appears to have shown nothing but the most sincere appreciation to the fan base.

I am sure communication could have been better about the 10 million stuff, but its not like Suzukib hasn't been sitting on a rough outline of the story for nearly 20 years and knows what is needed.
i honestly would have zero idea what would compel him to write something so disingenuous outside of sheer spite. it's really something i'd expect to see in a message board rant rather than something from a supposedly professional writer.

Yeah i saw that an hour ago,thought about making a thread about it but then said "no fuck it that's exactly what that asshole wants".
yeah. i suggest just ignoring it.

also, we've passed 70,000 backers!

Spaghetti

Its possible that I don't understand all of the details of the deals but this kickstarter confuses me, not at all like HB's excellent campaigns for Shadowrun and soon Battletech (YAY!).

It all feels shady and I don't understand why if they want more money they keep it console exclusive to PS4? I know plenty of people who would donate if it would come to the console they prefer, i'm sure they aren't alone.

What was the Sony money for, and why didn't they just fund it instead of spending on the rights to have dlc for call of duty early?

whatever the answers to those questions are, this already is starting to feel a bit like star citizen for me, glad I haven't put cash into either.
sony are supporting the game through marketing and apparently some tech support, that's why they have console exclusivity for the foreseeable future. they are not putting any money directly into development though. they would not fully fund a game they could not own a part of, as the game is still using sega IP.

and how does this feel like star citizen? star citizen is selling in-game content to 'whales' and promising more and more game modes layered on top of their original vision. shenmue 3 is following a much more traditional crowd funding model.

Spaghetti

Oh man, it's the return of all the "concerning" again.
it's not even that at this point. it's kuchera trying to craft a narrative about something that is clearly not even happening. i'd say it's malicious if it didn't come across as so reaching and dumb. i haven't checked the comments section, but i honestly can't even believe polygon's audience would swallow such shit.

and how does this feel like star citizen? star citizen is selling in-game content to 'whales' and promising more and more game modes layered on top of their original vision. shenmue 3 is following a much more traditional crowd funding model.

I'm referring to more of a feeling that I have in regards to my faith in the finished product and its state on arrival than in how its been managed when I made that comparison.

But then I'm paranoid like that, I've only ever backed 3 things. 2 of which were pretty well sure to happen.

it's not even that at this point. it's kuchera trying to craft a narrative about something that is clearly not even happening. i'd say it's malicious if it didn't come across as so reaching and dumb. i haven't checked the comments section, but i honestly can't even believe polygon's audience would swallow such shit.

I may be mistaken, but I am sure that the unreached stretch goals were on the kickstarter page when the initial campaign ended so it was no secret that they would want more money.

It is probably an unfortunate consequence of some of these big video game kickstarters that a big chunk of the game is sealed behind stretch goals, but it creates the mentality that we should be getting a "complete" game at the minimum. Take a look at what we would have gotten at the minimum level of Mighty No 9 or Bloodstained, they would have been barebones.

That chart Kuchera shows also adds nothing to the conversation as we know Bloodstained has a few million dollars from a publisher and tells us nothing about quality/timeliness of the project/additional funds/etc.

Spaghetti

I'm referring to more of a feeling that I have in regards to my faith in the finished product and its state on arrival than in how its been managed when I made that comparison.

But then I'm paranoid like that, I've only ever backed 3 things. 2 of which were pretty well sure to happen.
even then, what's even the comparison to star citizen? the shenmue 3 kickstarter wrapped up in july, and the current paypal drive is to cater to those who asked for that option. they've completed what suzuki calls the 'game flow' and have exited the planning phase, so it's not like they're expecting floods of money to come in from the paypal drive. star citizen is weird unworkable vapourware, shenmue 3 is like barely three months into production.

I may be mistaken, but I am sure that the unreached stretch goals were on the kickstarter page when the initial campaign ended so it was no secret that they would want more money.

It is probably an unfortunate consequence of some of these big video game kickstarters that a big chunk of the game is sealed behind stretch goals, but it creates the mentality that we should be getting a "complete" game at the minimum. Take a look at what we would have gotten at the minimum level of Mighty No 9 or Bloodstained, they would have been barebones.

That chart Kuchera shows also adds nothing to the conversation as we know Bloodstained has a few million dollars from a publisher and tells us nothing about quality/timeliness of the project/additional funds/etc.
yeah. i think kuchera is just sniping at that quote from the eurogamer interview in probably the dumbest way possible. ask pretty much any indie developer if they'd like more money to develop their project with, you're highly unlikely to hear "naw son, we good" as a response.

he's trying to paint yu suzuki, who cried with appreciation at the end of the kickstarter final day livestream, as someone who is ungrateful for the support of fans when it's plainly clear the support of fans is something he values immensely, to even the point where he actually hires them to work on shenmue 3.

some people like to live in their own narrative bubble. kuchera is one of those people.

Zafir

I'd say it inspires more confidence than Star Citizen in that Yu Suzuki actually seems to be planning the development a bit better. The Paypal having a timer is a good example. By doing that they can get a clear idea of what they're going to be putting into the game from early on. Instead of getting a major case of feature creep which is what Star Citizen suffers from. We could be waiting years for the various Star Citizen offerings due to feature creep.

Spaghetti

I'd say it inspires more confidence than Star Citizen in that Yu Suzuki actually seems to be planning the development a bit better. The Paypal having a timer is a good example. By doing that they can get a clear idea of what they're going to be putting into the game from early on. Instead of getting a major case of feature creep which is what Star Citizen suffers from. We could be waiting years for the various Star Citizen offerings due to feature creep.
this.

not that i think shenmue 3 could amass star citizen money, but continued funding like that can lead to massive feature bloat where even shipping the game starts turning into a seeming impossibility.

Garlador

The moment I saw his quote, I knew some joke of a journalist would take the words out of context and make that a headline.

I was not surprised to see I was right, nor surprised at the ones that have.

I see where you're coming from with that, but If my money were riding on it, i'd feel better once they move past the fundraising and make what they can with what they have. Even without a timer, the more money comes in, the more they are going to want to do with it.

Spaghetti

I see where you're coming from with that, but If my money were riding on it, i'd feel better once they move past the fundraising and make what they can with what they have. Even without a timer, the more money comes in, the more they are going to want to do with it.
well, they are making the game. it's not like they're sat on their hands doing nothing. shenmue 3 producer cedric biscay actually played in a very early iteration of an environment already.

after the fundraising closes, that's it. heads down until 2017 to work towards release. there's also the added benefit that the conversion rate of dollars to yen is a lot better right now than it has been in a long while. that's what a lot of people are missing when they look at the crowd funding figure of shenmue 3, they need to remind themselves this game isn't being made in america and that the dollar amount is being stretched further in japan, not to mention other things like wage differences for skilled people such as programmers, artists, etc.

"I think Shenmue 3 has got disaster written all over it."

PS I Love You XOXO Ep. 02
Skip to 19:20.

Even though Yu Suzuki talked about how hard at work he and his team are on the game, it just goes to show how toxic and misleading a clickbait article title can be. I like Colin, but he sure as shit is spreading FUD here.

Even though Yu Suzuki talked about how hard at work he and his team are on the game, it just goes to show how toxic and misleading a clickbait article title can be. I like Colin, but he sure as shit is spreading FUD here.

I wonder what he means by "not in active development." It has only been four months since announcement. We got some rough stuff, but what exactly does he expect to see? It is unfortunate that the headlines of the Eurogamer interview has spun to such an out of control mess.

I too have doubts of the game making its late 2018 expected release date as that is the nature of the beast when it comes to kickstarter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think there is a lot of pride in some game commentators with the stance they initially took with a game most of them always said would never be made for a laundry list of reasons, some pertinent and some exaggerated (like $80 Million development costs for each game). This hubris seems like it is attempting to push a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perhaps not even intentionally... People hate being wrong.

I think it already happened in other cases, see PS4's launch and those commentators whitewashing its initial sales performance and trying to bring people back into reality. It is likely that there was not a lot of hype deflating fanboy isn't there, but more a common perception that Xbox 720 would steamroll Sony's offering in what was perceived as a crescendo of victories against their rivals. When this did. It happen or people saw the first signs, massive resistance and negativity around the TV+Online DRM plans you ask started to see the articles putting a strong defence for those unique selling points while ignoring rumours around low preorders and when MS flipped the switch, because they were worried about preorders and launch performance, some commentators went on a limb to decry what awesome future we would now be missing... Hubris can be quite powerful.

Spaghetti

i wonder- what actually looks like a disaster?

it seems like colin isn't actually doing any research. his bugbear seems to be the fact that the paypal drive is happening, when it says right at the top of the FAQ on the page:

Q: Why do another campaign? Does the game need more money?

A: This additional campaign comes as a response to all of the requests we have received asking for another opportunity to participate in the making of Shenmue III because either of a lack of payment options on Kickstarter, or just not having a chance to pledge before the campaign ended.

While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.

it was highly demanded, so people got it. what's the problem? it's only running until the end of the year, which is smart. it sets a hard cap on the budget and hopefully pushes us up a stretch goal or two.

they're already out of the planning phase, and as we know from cedric already starting to construct environments. it's not like this information isn't being conveyed either, we've had monthly updates on the kickstarter.

i don't feel under-informed or out of the loop. does anybody else?

You can now buy the replica Ryo jacket and Shenhua statue separately from http://shenmue.link/order/

JibVYCd.png

sNFddlh.png

I kind of feel like these prices are too expensive as standalone items, but I guess they didn't want to make it so the tiers that include everything else devalue them.

Shenmue

Banned
i wonder- what actually looks like a disaster?

it seems like colin isn't actually doing any research. his bugbear seems to be the fact that the paypal drive is happening, when it says right at the top of the FAQ on the page:

it was highly demanded, so people got it. what's the problem? it's only running until the end of the year, which is smart. it sets a hard cap on the budget and hopefully pushes us up a stretch goal or two.

they're already out of the planning phase, and as we know from cedric already starting to construct environments. it's not like this information isn't being conveyed either, we've had monthly updates on the kickstarter.

i don't feel under-informed or out of the loop. does anybody else?

I feel the same as you do.

I asked Colin in the PS I love you thread and while he responded to a bunch of people before and after my post, he didn't answer my question, so I have no idea why he thought what he thought. I kind of feel it's just one of those "It's cool to hate" kind of opinions from him. At the same time I'm not all too sure that he feels that strongly about it either. Kind of just one of those throwaway thoughts about it I feel like.

N.A

Banned
Still doesn't feel real that we are getting Shenmue 3 development updates... Can't wait to see the new screenshots!

Dualshockers posted its lengthy interview with Yu Suzuki, with some information on tech, romance, inspiration, development, etc.

As per the usual Dualshocker's citation, the site is banned blahblahblah, so just go to their site for the interview.

i checked the slacker backer page just now.

is that number accurate?? have they really gotten next to no donations since the KS ended?

edit: well i mean a thousand or so donations, but really only a hundred dollars or so more since the original KS ended?? jeez

Top Bottom