• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

NHale

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that Microsoft needs to announce a price soon or even within the next 9 months.

What I'm saying is that because price is not going to be announced anytime soon, more devoted gaming communities like this one will keep suggesting how likely it is the price is close to $399 whether that's based in reality or not. The more we speculate about how great this system could be -- based on very little hard data but enough to get us to imagine the possibilities, the more we rationalize potentially purchasing the system which makes it less likely we'll back out once the hard data (price, specs, etc.) does get announced next year.

It really is a brilliant PR strategy because it takes advantage of our natural tendency to speculate and ultimately desire new gaming hardware.

On the other hand if people really believe that $399 is possible and then Microsoft announces it at E3 at $499, it will be viewed as a huge disappointment and most people will indeed back out because you spent rationalizing getting one at an imaginary price that actually doesn't exist.

That's why I believe Phil Spencer keep giving this kind of interviews warning about this being a premium console with a premium price. He already said this console is made to the hardcore/4K TV owner market and trying to set expectations so that people don't get disappointed.

Gattsu25

Banned
I agree with the "Shocking News" part of the thread title. They are not repeating the worst pricing mistake in recent console history...like every sane person expected.

wapplew

On the other hand if people really believe that $399 is possible and then Microsoft announces it at E3 at $499, it will be viewed as a huge disappointment and people will back out immediately besides those that will get one even if they make it $999.

That's why I believe Phil Spencer keep giving this kind of interviews warning about this being a premium console with a premium price. He already said this console is made to the hardcore/4K TV owner market and trying to set expectations so that people don't get disappointed.

Or set expectations so they blow people mind when they announce $299.

ty_hot

current price -> 2017 holiday price

One S
299 -> 249

Scorpio
xxx -> ??

PS4 Slim
299 -> 249

PS4 Pro
399 -> 349

The Scorpio HAS to cost more than the PS4 Pro (for obvious reasons), and I dont think it will be only 50 more (the UHD drive alone currently means +20 in costs, right?). i guess 449 at least, maybe even some wierd number (469 - 479) so that it doesnt become a 500 thing. That ofc is for the base model, 1TB of HDD (I dont think it will have less space than that), if you want 2TB then it will go beyond 500.

And the problem for MS is: the PS4 Pro seems to give a good 4k result even though the games are not rendered in this resolution, so it will be hard to explain a 70-100 price difference when for the average guy that plays video games both display in 4k (and the average guy probably dont have a 4k set yet). We will see.

I think it'll be $399. 6TFLOP, w/ 4k blu-ray.

I couldn't agree with you more, at least for the "base" model. Unless Microsoft has some incredible content and marketing that will make Scorpio look like it's in another league from PS4 Pro, it will need to be priced competitively.

Tigress

I expect 399. They can justify it being more than the 400 price by it being premium. But if it is 599 I am going to predict it will be dead in the water.

If they do have multiple Scorpio SKUs, I wonder if they would consider dropping 4k Blu-ray from the cheapest model. As long as they have the S (which will be even cheaper in a year) and the premium Scorpio offering it, I don't see it as being a big issue.

EGM1966

If the PS4 Pro is $349 or so by launch timeframe then anything much above $399 seems like a risk unless they''ve sure they can show enough extra benefits to justify it. If it enters early adopter pricing its gonna struggle for traction IMHO.

Still seems MS are aware of that.

Bowl0l

What if they sell the controller and power adapter separate for the $598.99 Scorpio SKU?
or it's $550 if you trade in XBox One or $525 if you trade in XBox One S?

Kilau

Gold Member
I still think it will be $399, the specs are not as insane as people think they are. $599 would be a very tough sell for a console that plays the same Xbox games.

Onaco

Moore's Law is shining through here. Though Moore's Law refers to technology changing in 18 months for no price difference. This is probably going to be a 72-month gap if it launches November 2017. That's 18 * 4 = 72. Technology should be eight times greater if technology doubled four times, without changing costs, since the launch of the original Xbox One.

If we compared the Teraflops Scorpio promises, 1.31 Teraflops was the inital Xbox One amount. If they are targeting 6 TF, then Scorpio is about 4.6 times greater than the Xbox One, meaning Microsoft is going to be making a profit on these machines. I'm not saying teraflops directly correlates to costs, but it's my assumption under Moore's Law that it isn't exactly the strongest computational power per cost that Microsoft could have put in for $399, or even $499. Which is fine, as they made huge losses on the original Xbox One by selling as low as they did, removing the Kinects, and having to pivot their core competencies, while also having to support the original console for a while is going to be taking a toll on the Scorpio's potential and on Microsoft's wallet.

Do I believe Moore's Law is always accurate? Nope. There's always something that will create a roadblock, but it may explain the reasoning of the Xbox One and Scorpio as it is.

As a PlayStation fan, I hope they really go all out and make a $600 machine.

I gladly payed $600 for a launch PS3 and it was totally worth it.

SpecX

I think they will be aggressive and push this into the $450-499 price range. I can't see if being cheaper than that though with the hardware they're trying to push.

Toni

Guys, this is not going to be $399.

PS4 Pro managed to get there because it has inferior hardware, slighlty overclocked cpu, same ram and cut out 4K Bluray altogether.

This will have a massive bump in CPU and GPU, new Ram AND 4k Bluray.

It doesnt matter if its a year away, its not launching @ $399 lol

styl3s

I still think it will be $399, the specs are not as insane as people think they are. $599 would be a very tough sell for a console that plays the same Xbox games.
They aren't insane at all i don't know why people are acting like this is some powerhouse console that's gonna be running everything at native 4k or 1080/60

Did Xbox One not teach them that people don't want to pay $499-599 for a console? $599 would put them in a worse spot then they were the first 1-2 years of xbox one because nobody would buy it.

yyr

The Scorpio HAS to cost more than the PS4 Pro (for obvious reasons)

Why?

Just because the hardware is better doesn't mean that MS has to charge more for it. They could choose to take a loss on hardware in hopes to make it up in software.

This, by the way, was or is the usual strategy when selling game consoles.

Fuchsdh

I wouldn't be surprised if it's $499, perhaps with a weaker SKU (only 500GB HDD or something) at $399 to satisfy that price point while pushing people to the "better" value. It's not going to be $599.

Jesus. $600 is crazy. Then again I did spend that much on my launch PS3 back in the day. I could totally see this being $549 just to keep under that dreaded $600 price tag.

This reminds me of when the PS3 was priced at £425 in the UK. When asked why they didn't go with a flat £400 Sony's response was, well we could have charged £430.

2016, $299 for PS4 slim, add $100, you get premium PS4 Pro
2017, OneS will be at $199, add $100, you get premium Xbox one, Scorpio will be $299.
lmao joke post or are you that delusional?

We are in an era where MS give you free OS update to boost ecosystem, we need to stop thinking about the cost of making Scorpio and think how low MS willing to go to get more MAU.
Look at all the crazy deal recently, OneS practically lower than $200 now, I won't surprise they will match or lower the price to compete with PS4 Pro in 2017.
At $299 or $349, Scorpio will be $100-$150 over OneS, which still within the price gap of a Premium console.
Ahh ok reading further down below, you're just delusional.

N.Domixis

Banned
It's not 599.99 because that's obvious it's also not 299.99. But since he says it won't be more than 599.99 it's most likely going to be 499.99. Otherwise why got to 599.99 if you know for certain it's 399.99. Then he would have just said not more than 499.99 or 399.99.

shira

$599 is going to be almost $1000 after taxes and "exchange rate" shenanaigans in Canada.

That might seem fine for launch but a few years down the road it's going to be not worth

#waitnseeapproach

Gxgear

Wow, people are overly optimistic in here. If the price is truly in the 399.99 range you can bet Microsoft will broadcast it to the world to take the wind right out of Sony sails for the PS4 Pro launch- which they eagerly did duringthe E3 Scorpio announcement, but for specs.

I doubt even Phil himself knows how much it'll cost, just that they're targeting below 599.99.

Tomeru

Feels like a $499 to me, but who knows? We have no idea how much their average cost/unit is going to be. Maybe they'll get manufacturing costs down low enough to sell for $399 and still make money off it by the end of 2017.

All we know is they aren't dumb enough
to sell it for $599 like Sony did w/ the PS3, and there's zero chance in hell they're going to sell for $299 because that is not a premium price tag. So its going to be $400-500, like every new Xbox console.

I'm much more interested in knowing how they're going to position this thing as a product. Is it the "next Xbox" or just a premium Xbox One?

And how do we know that exactly?

shandy706

I could see $500 for a complete system that registers at 6TF+ next year. That will be a beast console wise.

I'll pay it IF everything carries over from the Xbox One without a hitch.

Top Bottom