• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Police during Dallas Police anti-violence protest (5 officers killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
Holy shit. I was giving my wife grief at about 830 when we saw the protest marching outside us eating dinner and I couldn't get her to join in with me...

Terrifying. The police presence looked to be apart from the protests so the police were almost certainly the intended targets.
But GAF told me being a police officer isn't dangerous :(

And that all police officers are either heartless minority killers or cowards :(

ezekial45

Banned
What the fuck at that Facebook video
How about please don't be dead, officer? I get what you're doing, it's bordering on a joke, but Do you really think it matters whether the shooter in this case is white or black? It doesn't.

It does unfortunately. There's been a dialog happening over the last two days because of these recent shootings, and having a black suspect will cause the media to circle back to the narrative that blacks are dangerous and will attack officers. This is not a joke. It's happened time and time again.

Yes, my heart goes out to the officers and I hope they'll be OK, but if the suspect is black, then we'll lose any sense of dialog we've started over these last two days. I know that makes it seem cynical, but that's what happens.

Syriel

Yes my friend . Violence bred violence . It is the rule of nature , lets hope the police understand tht the minorities would not stay put down taking all this racisme without ''talking back''.

Way to justify shooting people for no reason. That's no different than the people who say shit like "He was a thug so he deserved it."

The Dallas PD was supporting the march.

If you think it's a good thing to shoot allies, then you're not advocating for justice. You're advocating for anarchy.

As if this wasn't already sad and frustrating enough, the moment there's a display of unity it gets destroyed with more violence.

This. x1000 this.

Dallas PD was being really chill about the whole thing. Tweeting about the event etc.

They were beyond chill. Tweeting. Closing down streets. Standing with demonstrators.

CmzgvqhVMAAckrT.jpg

Whoever fired those shots wasn't looking for "justice" of any sort. They were just looking to kill random people.

What was the rally/protest about?
The recent shootings?

Yes.

Jedi2016

Single shooter, in a building, exchanging fire with police and SWAT. This isn't going to end peacefully, I'm afraid.

What the actual fuck.

Two Words

How about please don't be dead, officer? I get what you're doing, it's bordering on a joke, but Do you really think it matters whether the shooter in this case is white or black? It doesn't.

Another one
As a black guy living in Dallas, I'd rather there not be more reason for the police to assume I am a threat.

Boke1879

Don't condone this, but I'm also not shocked something like this is or could happen.

At some point if nothing is done I've always said there will be retaliation of some sort.

Unfortunately politicians will use this to further their own sick agendas rather than take a step back and ask how we got here and what can we do to fix this massive issue.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said that?
It was on some racist denial bingo bullshit

There were also posters in the Baton Rouge shooting thread that specified that all police officers are either heartless minority killer defenders or cowards

Yet here there were plenty of great officers supporting the protess and those posters are mysteriously absent.

Apparently my friends are in a safe area now but the shooters are near where they parked their cars. I was supposed to be there :(

Not really shocked honestly.

People are being pushed to the brink and it was inevitable that someone was going to snap.

Please just let this shit end already. =/

It does unfortunately. There's been a dialog happening over the last two days because of these recent shootings, and having a black suspect will cause the media to circle back to the narrative that blacks are dangerous and will attack officers. This is not a joke. It's happened time and time again.

Yes, my heart goes out to the officers and I hope they'll be OK, but if the suspect is black, then we'll lose any sense of dialog we've started over these last two days. I know that makes it seem cynical, but that's what happens.

In the past I may agree w you but not now. Not in 2016. It's different now dude. Even if the suspects are black I firmly believe that efforts to reform policing in minority communities will surge forward. That's not to say there won't be more incidents. There surely will. But the times are changing before our eyes.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Apparently my friends are in a safe area now but the shooters are near where they parked their cars. I was supposed to be there :(

Glad they're safe and that you weren't there. Sorry for those that were, and even more sorry for those that got hurt or worse!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Do you really think it matters whether the shooter in this case is white or black? It doesn't.

Someone either doesn't live in America, or is completely oblivious. In either case they should probably not post in response to things they do not understand.

Look, if one loon arming himself to the teeth for the explicit purpose to kill some cops undermines the whole progress we made and all the conversations we had in the last 3 years, then we've actually made zero progress in reality.

Time will tell.

Don't condone this, but I'm also not shocked something like this is or could happen.

At some point if nothing is done I've always said there will be retaliation of some sort.

Unfortunately politicians will use this to further their own sick agendas rather than take a step back and ask how we got here and what can we do to fix this massive issue.

Yeah basically my stance.

The United States is broken. Always has been and I think always will be. I don't have any hope left. Dallas is a liberal city, but going to be rough walking around here for awhile.

akira28

great..black male, and another possible person of interest. they think the black guy is the shooter, saw him with a rifle earlier during the protest.

Geist-

I have a feeling it's someone getting caught up in the narrative that police are bad and thinking it's a good idea to start killing them.

Police deserve criticism, but I hope we aren't just spreading hate around.

Aunt just told me about this, saw it on the local news. We live in Farmers Branch which is like a 15 minute drive from downtown.

In the past I may agree w you but not now. Not in 2016. It's different now dude. Even if the suspects are black I firmly believe that efforts to reform policing in minority communities will surge forward. That's not to say there won't be more incidents. There surely will. But the times are changing before our eyes.
Uh glad to see you are optimistic but with Fox News and Media...

I don't think so.

Man America is not that far of the late 60/early 70s now is it. Crooks fora potential leader, social unrest that will probably continue no matter who gets elected in November. the conventions could be crazy.

This is fucked.

Don't start that shit. The job can be dangerous, but it still doesn't justify killing unarmed civilians.
Well no shit but that's not what I was saying. In cases like the baton rogue shooting, yes obviously the officer wasn't in any danger and I'm not defending that execution or the one in MN.
Nigga, shut the absolute FUCK up
Don't tell me to shut the fuck up when this forum breeds hate against ALL police officers. Obviously black lives matter, obviously we need reform, but I shake my fucking head everytime this forum tries to pretend that if you're a police officer you're automatically a coward.

A.edrerai

Banned
Way to justify shooting people for no reason. That's no different than the people who say shit like "He was a thug so he deserved it."

The Dallas PD was supporting the march.

If you think it's a good thing to shoot allies, then you're not advocating for justice. You're advocating for anarchy.

Again , i'm stating a reality which is not what we would hope for but is a reality which demand attetion before it get really ugly .
If the only thing the president can do is making calls then its not looking very bright .
Fear bring respect from a wicked point of view and self preservation can bring very different colors there where no color was .

Robert F. Kennedy said:
Some looks for scapegoats, others look for conspiracies, but this much is clear; violence breeds violence, repression brings retaliation, and only a cleaning of our whole society can remove this sickness from our soul.
For there is another kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. This is a slow destruction of a child by hunger, and schools without books and homes without heat in the winter.

Until there is an honest police reform, these acts of violence will happen.

besada

Banned
Let's maybe wait and find out something about the shooter before we start spinning too wildly out of control regarding the reasoning here. Texas is chock full of Sovereign Citizens with long guns who specialize in ambushing police. Could be them, could be an angry protestor, could be a nutball who just wants to see the world burn.

And quit being assholes to each other before I have to intervene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom