• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

Busaiku

5741333380_e8444861d1.jpg

I think I see it.

what has been seen, cannot be unseen
A well placed strike with a blunt object and you'll be at peace again.
Yeah, but can we pull it off without hats?
Easily

There are still lots of Japanese donors throwing their cards in along with PC gamers and your everyday fighting game fan. The third character is what worries me. I was totally confident about it two days ago, but we need new tiers. I worry about some major gaming news gumming up the gaming press' gears before we set out for the most ambitious stretch goal. They've been absolutely fantastic throughout the campaign for the most part(Patrick Klepek hit a home run) and I think they've been a real helpful at spreading the word. I think making it to 400k would warrant some attention as we continue to climb the ladder of Indigogo's top fundraisers.
Odd - when I look at Feng I see acrobatic kung fu; when I think Makoto I think of a mostly grounded style of karate involving breaking opponents one powerful punch at a time or in small, paced bursts.
Then again, as much as I like Makoto, I can hardly say I've mastered her gameplay subtleties.
Can't believe I missed this one. Yeah... I don't know how he'll make her play, but Makoto would have to be spiced up quite a bit if she were tweaked for a versus game. I recall Azure J brainstorming about a MvC3 Makoto having insane wallbouncing rush punches and such... pretty drastic. I think her particular playstyle should meld well enough with Skullgirls since we don't have to worry about crazy superjump heights, X-factor or stuff like TACs. All that is super foreign to the Makoto we know and love.

Johnz

Neo Member
Probably to be safe the hat was taken off the 30$ reward today..along with decreasing the people who had already bought the package from the total number of rewards...The money earned has not decreased yet.

Obviously waiting on Monday.

Azure J

FENG IS A GODDAMNED MAKOTO LIKE?

iEKHDnWEuvzM6.gif

MVC3 IS DEAD TO ME, ALL HAIL BASED SKULLGIRLS

Can't believe I missed this one. Yeah... I don't know how he'll make her play, but Makoto would have to be spiced up quite a bit if she were tweaked for a versus game. I recall Azure J brainstorming about a MvC3 Makoto having insane wallbouncing rush punches and such... pretty drastic. I think her particular playstyle should meld well enough with Skullgirls since we don't have to worry about crazy superjump heights, X-factor or stuff like TACs. All that is super foreign to the Makoto we know and love.

The post for old time's sake.

Don't get me excited for a Skullgirls Makoto because I know if we even get to the goal amount she'll probably get skipped in favour of someone else.

Loona

Yea, now that you mention it, she does have that feel. And considering her role in the story . . .

Marco from MS is in NeoGeo Battle Coluseum, which like SG is a tag fighter, there's plenty that can be adapted if that route was taken - with the likely exception of the zombie blood vomiting super.

NEO0MJ

Don't get me excited for a Skullgirls Makoto because I know if we even get to the goal amount she'll probably get skipped in favour of someone else.

Yeah, she has tough competition, that's for sure. Plus, over half the remaining characters haven't been revealed yet.

joe2187

Banned
It would be nice if they hit the 600K mark they could help the voting along by providing more in depth background on the character and predicted playstyle...

Although they'll probably be insanely busy.

Ravidrath

It would be nice if they hit the 600K mark they could help the voting along by providing more in depth background on the character and predicted playstyle...

Working on getting that ready for the push for the third character.

Am I the only one getting a major Metal Slug vibe from this one?...
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this as I was making the Skullgirls OP.
FENG IS A GODDAMNED MAKOTO LIKE?

MVC3 IS DEAD TO ME, ALL HAIL BASED SKULLGIRLS
That escalated quickly.
Ah, back when we were young and naive.

Good times

I always felt EX Oroshi should have super armor regardless of the game. Every time the stupid shotos do their SRK off the ground I want to chop them down like Mr.Satan would. Real talk
That goes without saying. She only has a chance if we make it to 800k, Mike pot busters the whole Skullgirls team(he mentioned they'd probably just pick a character they like if they make it to 800k) and he picks Feng over his favorite character that has not been revealed yet.

Still, it's nice to know that her playtype even exists.
Working on getting that ready for the push for the third character.
Hopefully a nice video instead of a super duper long post.

It'll be far off enough that they can prepare at a good pace, I think. Even new tiers can't rocket them through 400k and 500k that quickly.

enQNJQG.png

Success!

----

As much as I'd love to see Feng I'm oddly infatuated with the idea of the Bard with the human violin. He's getting revealed at the 280k mark so should be before the end of the day.

That goes without saying. She only has a chance if we make it to 800k, Mike pot busters the whole Skullgirls team(he mentioned they'd probably just pick a character they like if they make it to 800k) and he picks Feng over his favorite character that has not been revealed yet.

It'll be far off enough that they can prepare at a good pace, I think. Even new tiers can't rocket them through 400k and 500k that quickly.

We'd have to get to $825K to get another character, and even if we did, I doubt Feng would get in. Mainly because the only thing that would likely propel people to go that far would be the number two on the vote getting in.

Also, it'd be pretty funny if the drive actually averaged $250K/wk.

Also, also, Minette4lyfe

Ravidrath

Hopefully a nice video instead of a super duper long post.

Unlikely!

That video took around two weeks to make, and we spent at least a week before that just creating all the new assets for it.

And since we'll still be revealing mysterious characters throughout the push for the third character, we can't update the video 10 times.

Azure J

Just wondering, has Black Dahlia's play style been talked about before?
That escalated quickly.

I've been having the most ferocious itch to play some Mak (preferably of the Third Strike kind), but I'm pretty much hooked on the team building and tech discovering possible in tag fighters. This is a happy midpoint I'd take any day though. Now, how does one get started on lobbying the "Feng for Brawl Playable" movement? :p

Ah, back when we were young and naive.

Good times

I always felt EX Oroshi should have super armor regardless of the game. Every time the stupid shotos do their SRK off the ground I want to chop them down like Mr.Satan would. Real talk

The spoilered would be ridiculously awesome, but then I'd get to hear more comments from old heads about how the Third Strike/SF3 characters "are dumb/stupid/lame/I haet them." :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, but can we pull it off without hats?
Just barely, maybe. The rate is exponentially slower now, and without hats it will drag on for a long time before it reaches that, and only if it doesn't stagnate.

Hats are as crucial to reaching the first/second stretch goal as they are to reaching the third.

Johnz

Neo Member
Just barely, maybe. The rate is exponentially slower now, and without hats it will drag on for a long time before it reaches that, and only if it doesn't stagnate.

Hats are as crucial to reaching the first/second stretch goal as they are to reaching the third.

Fingers crossed for Monday. Taking the hats out..basically results in us just getting squigly..which is cool and all, but..well.

alstein

It's everyone getting in on fast, and lack of high end rewards.

Fingers crossed for Monday. Taking the hats out..basically results in us just getting squigly..which is cool and all, but..well.

Halfway to Big Band, more than three weeks left . . . he's coming.

If he comes by the end of next week, the voted on will likely descend as well.

Dachande

I think it's unlikely we'd get the third character, but holy fuck I want Feng. I love Makoto in 3S, so Feng would definitely get in my lineup.

Big Band is likely but I don't think a third character is. However, I do think we'll be hearing about Skullgirls 2 sooner rather than later after seeing how successful this has been on Indiegogo and JP PSN.

Big Band is likely but I don't think a third character is. However, I do think we'll be hearing about Skullgirls 2 sooner rather than later after seeing how successful this has been on Indiegogo and JP PSN.

As soon as Autumn stops being sued, totally. I can't imagine Skullgirls 2 not happening after this amount of success. It's clear the fans have demonstrated their support for the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As soon as Autumn stops being sued, totally. I can't imagine Skullgirls 2 not happening after this amount of success. It's clear the fans have demonstrated their support for the game.
Does Autumn own the IP?

If Autumn doesn't pick it up, I can totally see someone else trying too. The interest for the franchise has been proven, across markets too.

Does Autumn own the IP?

Yup! They totally own the IP.

----

So, this happened.

zferolie said:
So I donated money during the Evo breast cancer research drive, and I got to pick a Voice Message from one of the Skullgirls cast. I decided to go with peacock, and started to look at some classic cartoon lines she could do. I couldn’t find anything, but then I saw yakko’s world, and knew it needed to be done.
Today I got back the message from Sarah. I was told she wanted to make it perfect, that’s why it took so long, and it really shows.

http://zferolie.tumblr.com/post/44408025501/so-i-donated-money-during-the-evo-breast-cancer

Give it a listen, it's pretty much amazing.

Time for the daily scores on the doors: $278,724 is the current total, making an increase of $11,921 in the last 26 hours which conveniently has nothing going on other than hats being removed, and I don't see a mass exodus happening yet. Certainly, if a rate of $10k per day can be maintained, we're looking at an over total of about half a million dollars, ignoring the possibility of a big final push and any affect Salty Cupcakes has.

And looking at the Indiegogo leaderboards, we find Skullgirls still in 21st, but a mere $8,708 behind #20: something called MUSE (all caps manditory, Bellamy not bothered by the copyright infringement).

I just added up every disclosed donation that has occured in the last twelve hours, and I got to $5375. Say there's 48 twelve hour periods left in the campaign and assume that the last twelve hours is within a small margin of error predictive of the campaign's averages going forward...

I get very similar numbers to Delusibeta. :p I haven't been logging the totals and with time stamps so I have to add everything up in a spreadsheet...

Specifically, the campaign needs to raise $62,000 on top of the current flow to reach the character vote. :) This is almost certainly achievable. More reward tiers, the final push and more crazy stretch goals will all contribute.

I think that it will be a drive to try and hit $600,000, which should be regarded as the ultimate goal of the campaign, really.

Specifically, the campaign needs to raise $62,000 on top of the current flow to reach the character vote. :) This is almost certainly achievable. More reward tiers, the final push and more crazy stretch goals will all contribute.

Yeah, and I've seen wilder things happen on the last day of crowdfunding drives. However, I think that at the very least Big Band + stage is a lock.

A new challenger approaches.
We'd have to get to $825K to get another character, and even if we did, I doubt Feng would get in. Mainly because the only thing that would likely propel people to go that far would be the number two on the vote getting in.

Also, it'd be pretty funny if the drive actually averaged $250K/wk.

Also, also, Minette4lyfe
I forgot about the stage+music for the third character. Also, no way Feng makes the cut. Maybe it could happen if a mass crowd of 3S people flood the Skullheart forums(answering an earlier question Azure asked). The front runners will probably be Marie, Panzerfaust, Beowulf, Brain Drain... and Annie(at her best). In that order, I think. The US is gonna make the mistake of voting with their hearts. Japan is so going to bloc vote for the Skullgirl.
Unlikely!

That video took around two weeks to make, and we spent at least a week before that just creating all the new assets for it.

And since we'll still be revealing mysterious characters throughout the push for the third character, we can't update the video 10 times.
Don't mind me. It was just my way of hoping for 1080p captures of the cast. :p
Just wondering, has Black Dahlia's play style been talked about before?
Not even once in all the time I've followed Skullgirls. All I can say is that she was being considered as an early DLC character alongside Umbrella and Marie(says Mike). Squigly was already 1/3rd of the way done so we might have seen Black Dahlia by now had things worked out better for Autumn.

maybe
The spoilered would be ridiculously awesome, but then I'd get to hear more comments from old heads about how the Third Strike/SF3 characters "are dumb/stupid/lame/I haet them." :p
Hatersgonnahate.gif
Halfway to Big Band, more than three weeks left . . . he's coming.

If he comes by the end of next week, the voted on will likely descend as well.
Yep, it's a lock at this point. Contributions could crater to 4k per DAY and that'd still be enough to fund Big Band+stage/music. That ain't happening when new tiers arrive.

alstein

What if Autumn goes into publisher hell and can't do anything- does Skullgirls IP revert to Lab Zero if Autumn goes under?

Top Bottom