• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

joe2187

Banned
Here ya go sharkman

tumblr_mipewhfvg71qe1yemo2_1280.jpg

05dxt1_zpsaa219585.png

Bonus of feng

So I took notes on what was said about the potential 3rd characters during the last stream because I dunno. Thought I'd share. Some things are going off of memory

Andy Anvil
- Playstyle Dudley-inspired
- Would have Dudley's "gloves down" counter, but the "counter" is actually just Andy standing there so that the opponent is left punching a fucking anvil.

Mike's take:
- Mix between Steve(Tekken), Balrog, and Cody (dodges)

Scythana
- Hunched over stance to accommodate for height maybe.
- Kicks, long range. Limb stretch is a possibility.
- Her being a halfbreed means she can shift to being more monstrous/less human.
- Uses the cuff chains as a weapon

Beowolf
- Chair attacks and wresting moves
- Clever chair usage, for example being able to stand on it and launch attacks from there/throw opponents onto it.
- Famous wrestling move references

Stanley
- Gordon Freeman references
- Mix of scientific weapons and shark attacks
- Also maybe boxing because he's a sports nerd. Loves hockey and boxing.
- Originally from Anti-Skullgirl Lab 4, which dealt with handheld weaponry. As a result he has some interesting guns. Photon cannon was mentioned.

Annie
- Her Bunny fights as an assist. I think Arakune was mentioned as an example?
- Contrast between typical magical girl stuff and brutal attacks
- Violence with SPARKLES
(can't remember where I heard the two above)

Umbrella
- Hunger mechanic is an idea
- What it eats affects it is another one
- Dichotomy between Umbrella being small and cute and Hungren being large and demented

Venus
- Moves that attack from odd/unexpected angles
- Teleporting
- Ability to shift where an attack goes perhaps?

Leduc
- Electric attacks, prodding.
- Slaugtherhouse themed stuff?

Eliza
- Egyptian
- MYSTERIOUS (so no more info)

D. Violet
- Whip is a living weapon
- Innuendo (as much as they can give away with)
- Superhero/dark dominatrix contrast

Brain Drain
- Cool/chill/arrogant/cocky/calculating
- Magneto/Dr. Doom vibe
- Psychic attacks
- Mind lasers
- FOOT DIVE (joking... probably)

Black Dahlia
- Deceptive
- Lots of hidden weapons like blades. Again, deception.
- The grenade launcher is in a way a red herring. Of course it's still a fucking grenade launcher.

Hive
- Is in battle mode now- wearing a mask with goggles.
- Bit of an aviator theme
- Flying and BEES
- Hive arms can take on different shapes. Sheild/weapons.
- Bee projectile attacks. Bee bombs/missiles
- Oprabees.gif

Feng
- Chinese acrobat
- Birds are weapons. Can also facilitate better movement. (more airdashes/jumps?)
- Acrobatic, agile, and fast
- Pixie rushdown

- IIRC Mike says she looks like Makoto so he could make her play like that

Illium
- Drill attacks
- Stretching limbs
- Acid/digestion attacks
- Horror juxtaposed with her personality. Said personality is very motherly and rather pacifist.

Minnette
- Roll-like
- Waitress theme. Clumsy and cute

Loona

Annie sounds like what I've read about Nanoha, although I've never watched that show. Possibly also the protagonist of this, which I've watched: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Witch_Punie-chan (but I guess with all the wrestling moves in that, that'd be Annie and Beowulf put together).

Hive sounds like a cross between Alfred from Fatal Fury and Q-bee...

Taliesin is an alternative name for Merlin, but this one's going for more of a bard theme, it seems - could make a neat theme team with Squigly, but I don't fancy the guy's chances.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Big Band would probably be pretty challenging to animate, seeing how we would have to draw the instruments in high detail.

For me, characters like Makoto (Feng?) that would be based on layers of motion and real contrast between poses is the most fun.

Double, by the way, was both really easy and an incredible pain in the ass at the same time. Inking her up was cake, but properly assigning he colors too forever because it was hard to know which part was which and how it was locking/blending/fucking with other parts.

So I took notes on what was said about the potential 3rd characters during the last stream because I dunno. Thought I'd share. Some things are going off of memory

Huh. None of these playstyles interest me to be honest. I'm kind of relieved. It means I can focus on my Painwheel, Cerebella and Squigly team. :)

Annie
- Violence with SPARKLES

Whaat? Arakune? This pleases me, a lot. Arakune is my main. Gah. Annie is perfect for me, I must have her playable. Sparkles = Stars. I remember something about star based attacks.

What if Autumn goes into publisher hell and can't do anything- does Skullgirls IP revert to Lab Zero if Autumn goes under?
It goes to whoever buys it at the highest bid?
New goal met, New character Meet Taliesin, and his Remote Parasite, Muse

20130302192358-DLC_Taliesin.png
Very cool character design. Looks like something out of an old play.

Andy Anvil
- Playstyle Dudley-inspired
- Would have Dudley's "gloves down" counter, but the "counter" is actually just Andy standing there so that the opponent is left punching a fucking anvil.

Mike's take:
- Mix between Steve(Tekken), Balrog, and Cody (dodges)

Beowolf
- Chair attacks and wresting moves
- Clever chair usage, for example being able to stand on it and launch attacks from there/throw opponents onto it.
- Famous wrestling move references

Stanley
- Gordon Freeman references
- Mix of scientific weapons and shark attacks
- Also maybe boxing because he's a sports nerd. Loves hockey and boxing.
- Originally from Anti-Skullgirl Lab 4, which dealt with handheld weaponry. As a result he has some interesting guns. Photon cannon was mentioned.

Annie
- Violence with SPARKLES

Brain Drain
- Cool/chill/arrogant/cocky/calculating
- Magneto/Dr. Doom vibe
- Psychic attacks
- Mind lasers
- FOOT DIVE (joking... probably)

Hive
- Is in battle mode now- wearing a mask with goggles.
- Bit of an aviator theme
- Flying and BEES
- Hive arms can take on different shapes. Sheild/weapons.
- Bee projectile attacks. Bee bombs/missiles
- Oprabees.gif

Feng
- Chinese acrobat
- Birds are weapons. Can also facilitate better movement. (more airdashes/jumps?)
- Acrobatic, agile, and fast
- Pixie rushdown

- IIRC Mike says she looks like Makoto so he could make her play like that
Ironman02_zps84398931.gif

Big Band would probably be pretty challenging to animate, seeing how we would have to draw the instruments in high detail.
Do you think you'll end up having to make a bunch of 3D models of the instruments like you did with Painwheel's Gae Bolga? He will probably have a ton of instruments.
I wonder if they'd go as complex as something like Carl Clover has with this guy.
Hopefully not :/

Hey, I noticed that the number of people at the $30 tier had dropped to 125. Then I noticed the limit of the Backer tier had decreased to 2172. Then I also noticed that there's no mention of a hat. I checked the "my contributions" page of the Indiegogo, and noticed that my pledge with the original, hat-filled, tier was present and correct. I suppose a) that means there's no much in the way of false advertising, b) there's no mass exodus for people who spent $30 on a hat, and c) even without a hat, there's still a whole pile of demand for PC Skullgirls.

Oh, and d) I imagine you're clear to erase old, filled high value tiers for new, high value tiers.

Steaks

Who's Beowulf? Is that the guy with the heart shaped strand of hair?

If so, I want that person in all fighting games. Now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Who's Beowulf? Is that the guy with the heart shaped strand of hair?

If so, I want that person in all fighting games. Now.
Beowulf is the silhouette with the folding chair.

Apropos of your avatar, he was jokingly referred to as Kanji Tatsumaki by someone who was identifying all the silhouettes.

Whaat? Arakune? This pleases me, a lot. Arakune is my main. Gah. Annie is perfect for me, I must have her playable. Sparkles = Stars. I remember something about star based attacks.
Actually I think I may have got that wrong. It comes up around 1:05.30, but I can't quite make out what he says:
http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/372461334

Is this stream archived anywhere?
I'd like to watch it myself.
See above. Character information from Alex comes on around 50 min. I think he speaks at other times too but I don't know when.

I love all of the DLC character potentials they've shown so far, all of them are fantastic in design, and I wish we could somehow magically get them all.

It makes the idea of who to potentially (and hopefully) vote for all the more difficult-- especially considering the fact that there are tons more to be shown.

Hopefully all goes well with the hat dilemma (unless it was fixed already and I just didn't see?), I know I'm going to be in this for the long haul, and I want the campaign to get as much funding as possible, they definitely deserve it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Do you think you'll end up having to make a bunch of 3D models of the instruments like you did with Painwheel's Gae Bolga? He will probably have a ton of instruments.

Hopefully not :/

We would, but thats just for reference, still gotta draw them :|

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm stuck between Beowulf, Stanley, Feng and Annie. I need to know all of cast' movesets before I vote.

Plus I noticed that Beowulf will play very similar to Kanji from Persona 4 Arena, according to the news.

alstein

I'm surprised, I'm actually finding more matches now these days, and they're not all Japanese. I do play very sparingly though (though I think I played you once)

SG may be the comeback FG of the year at this rate (deserves it more than SFxTK)

Ravidrath

Hey, I noticed that the number of people at the $30 tier had dropped to 125. Then I noticed the limit of the Backer tier had decreased to 2172. Then I also noticed that there's no mention of a hat. I checked the "my contributions" page of the Indiegogo, and noticed that my pledge with the original, hat-filled, tier was present and correct. I suppose a) that means there's no much in the way of false advertising, b) there's no mass exodus for people who spent $30 on a hat, and c) even without a hat, there's still a whole pile of demand for PC Skullgirls.

Oh, and d) I imagine you're clear to erase old, filled high value tiers for new, high value tiers.

Valve asked us to remove all mention of the TF2 hat while we wait on approval. Hopefully will have an answer on Monday.

Indiegogo doesn't let you change tier descriptions without making a new tier, which is why I had to "reset" it.

In the end we'll give that item or any other items to everyone with the "Backer" title and above.

I wonder if there will be a big push today that sends us to $300K.
Don't see any reason for there to be one before the tiers are refreshed.
I love all of the DLC character potentials they've shown so far, all of them are fantastic in design, and I wish we could somehow magically get them all.

It makes the idea of who to potentially (and hopefully) vote for all the more difficult-- especially considering the fact that there are tons more to be shown.

Hopefully all goes well with the hat dilemma (unless it was fixed already and I just didn't see?), I know I'm going to be in this for the long haul, and I want the campaign to get as much funding as possible, they definitely deserve it.
It's being discussed on Skullheart.
We would, but thats just for reference, still gotta draw them :|
It ain't easy being a contractor. ;_;
I'm stuck between Beowulf, Stanley, Feng and Annie. I need to know all of cast' movesets before I vote.

Plus I noticed that Beowulf will play very similar to Kanji from Persona 4 Arena, according to the news.
Don't know about this "news", but we'll probably get a bare minimum of info to go on which is better than nothing. Mike probably wouldn't want to promise something when things could change down the road.
will there be any future DLC chars that don't have chains and have normals that do huge damage?
Maybe Scythana? I can't see her doing ROM loops or Zero length combos.

You'd have MUUUUCH better luck asking Mike during a Salty Cupcakes stream. He answers dozens of questions there week in and week out.
I'm surprised, I'm actually finding more matches now these days, and they're not all Japanese. I do play very sparingly though (though I think I played you once)

SG may be the comeback FG of the year at this rate (deserves it more than SFxTK)
Sorta is

If this didn't take off we wouldn't get much else past the PC port. It was now or never afaik.

joe2187

Banned
I wonder if they'd go as complex as something like Carl Clover has with this guy.

folks on the Skullheart forums pointed out that Talesin's arms are made of wood. And the eyeball in the mouth of Annie's bunny doll is actually her own eye.

Ravidrath

folks on the Skullheart forums pointed out that Talesin's arms are made of wood. And the eyeball in the mouth of Annie's bunny doll is actually her own eye.

They're "remote Parasites," which I believe need to exchange body parts with the host to work.

Taliesin's arms are actually the arms of Muse, his Parasite. And you already noted that it's Annie's eye in Sagan's mouth.

It's time to get your scorecards out, ladies and gents. The current total is $288,689, an increase of $9,965 since the last scoring, a mere 22.5 hours ago. Certainly, it looks like $10k/day is the current rate, especially with no opportunities for big donations nor anything happening in general. Looking to the leaderboards, and Skullgirls has overtaken MUSE and taken the 20th spot on the all-time leaderboards. Next on the hit list is going to take a while: it's Tumblr and Humans of New York's fundraiser for Hurricane Sandy repairs, with $29,841 to go. So, three days then.

Just made a $150 donation

Probably won't play the game (tried it a few times and I flat out suck), but I do enjoy seeing how far this game has come in terms of recognition (with the EVO thing and this)

Zissou

Probably won't play the game (tried it a few times and I flat out suck), but I do enjoy seeing how far this game has come in terms of recognition (with the EVO thing and this)

Of course you suck- you only tried it a few times! It takes time to master anything (at least anything worth doing). Cool that you donated, but if you really want to improve, I'm sure there are people that would help you.

joe2187

Banned

I've been holding off playing the 360 version till the patch dropped....didn't know it would take so long :( so I'm completely new to this game all over again. I'd be willing to play with someone who is also new to this game.

>>>>>>

We hit $290k

Kioshen

I've been holding off playing the 360 version till the patch dropped....didn't know it would take so long :( so I'm completely new to this game all over again. I'd be willing to play with someone who is also new to this game.

Do you only have the game on 360 or also on PS3 ? I've briefly dabbled with the game but it has been so long that I'm also in the same boat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So new tiers in 23ish minutes. Get hype?

Looking forward to it! Not to beat a dead horse, but hopefully we'll hear about the TF2 hat situation too. It's not a big deal to me, but I know that something like that can really rake in the pledges.

Top Bottom