• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Loxley

Quick and Dirty 1080p wallpaper for those who were asking earlier:

YbTIDn7.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This, basically.

All the job postings are exceptionally vague/general and the positions are hugely comprehensive of key areas required for a AAA game. The only thing I can take away from them is that, more likely than not, only the earliest conceptual ideas are being thrown around and Kojima Productions as a new studio still barely exists. It's very reminiscent of the huge hiring spree CDPR went on right when they announced Cyberpunk; aka the announcement itself is mainly to advertise for staff than a product itself.

That's exactly what this is. That and just letting people know Kojima will still be making games.

sjay1994

I like the skull in the logo but thats about it. Dont know what the hell is going on or what its supposed to be.

Foxhound logo was way better imo.

Kojima looks boss with the beard/mow

latest

Developer Sans Frontieres

This is literally Kojima's Outer Heaven

KingBroly

Banned
One thing for sure, Sony most likely won't fund him to make another proprietary engine. Such a shame, Fox Engine is fantastic. Imagine Sony has KojiPro as a 1st party and create an engine like that for other internal studios to use.

I beg to differ on that one.

PZUhgAF.jpg

i see a microscope, a globe holding apparatus, and a knight's or spartan's helmet. With a homo sapien(maybe?) skull encased inside. Pretty cool.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is what I want to know?

How is he able to use the exact same company name. Is the logo copyrighted? Or I suppose they'd want a fresh slate.

My guess is that theres a difference between 小島プロダクション which is how it was written within Konami, and コジマプロダクション which is how they write it in their press release.

Jarmel

Banned
I'd assume because it's a proper name, there's little Konami could do to keep it or, realistically, they didn't need to keep it.

As for the logo, it's lifted from Metal Gear Solid, so it's part of that franchise, and I'd say Konami would be less than willing to share.

It was a company name though so I'm surprised he can use the exact same title unless he personally copyrighted the studio name while at Konami.

Withnail

So Sony currently has Yu Suzuki, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and Hideo Kojima working on new PS4 games.

What a time to be alive.

I like the skull in the logo but thats about it. Dont know what the hell is going on or what its supposed to be.

Foxhound logo was way better imo.

Kojima looks boss with the beard/mow

It's a logo to attract developers, not opinionated GAF members... the logo, even the name might change

So Sony currently has Yu Suzuki, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and Hideo Kojima working on new PS4 games.

What a time to be alive.

#PS4

(It's all about money and all games will be released on PC or either emulated) But yeah, nice buzz

I for one welcome the hardcore gamer outlook Sony currently has.......

Bsigg12

Honestly I don't think any other publisher would be willing to give him a decent budget while also giving him creative freedom for a new IP.

For establishing an IP? It was either going to be Sony or Microsoft, there's no doubt in my mind about that. The platform holders can take the hit to have him build something new and bring it first to their platform as well as be looking forward because by the time this comes out, we'll be talking about the next generation of systems.

Vegito

Banned
Id love to see him make an FPS. Hes been stuck with MGS for so long that I hope he uses this as a chance to do something different.

zsynqx

Funny thing is just weeks ago, Adam Kovic of Rooster Teeth's Funhaus and The Know, doubled down on the Kojima to Microsoft rumors. Remember that just prior to E3, The Know claimed that Microsoft had acquired the Silent Hill(s) IP from Konami for billions (only two major outlets reported on The Know's rumor- Shacknews and IGN). Then a few weeks ago, Adam was on Kinda Funny's Gamecast, where he said with near certainty that Kojima was going to Microsoft. When he brought it up, he asked Greg and Tim if they heard about the "big leak" from E3 (does it count as a "big leak" if no one takes it seriously?). He went on to say the E3 "leak" was true, but Konami demanded to own part of Microsoft. He said that Microsoft decided that they'd rather wait for Kojima to leave Konami and make a Silent Hill-esque game. He said Konami was stupid to turn down Microsoft's money. He also claimed the partnership was most likely happening at The Game Awards because Kojima and Keighley are tight.

Uh-huh....

Yup, completely full of crap.

No different to than the Inside Gaming Daily stuff they used to do with Machinima, where they would double down on stupid rumours from questionable sources.

sora87

Huge get for Sony. It'd be interesting to see this develop like the Quantic Dreams relationship.

Here's hoping for something cyberpunk like.

What I learned here is to always believe in Mark Cerny

Mark Cerny is the lead architect of the PS4 - leads to the second coming of the PS2
Mark Cerny meets with Yu Suzuki - We get Shenmue 3
Mark Cerny meets with Kojima - Now he is partnering with PlayStation

Now somebody tell Sony to send Cerny to meet with Activision so he can save Crash Bandicoot and than send him to Valve to meet with Gabe and give everyone Half Life 3.

All hail Mark Cerny
2369849-7781086849-ibqYp.gif

The abundance of so-called "console exclusive" games (games that are released on only one console plus PC) could be due to three possible reasons: data that shows that there isn't much overlap between console and PC gamers, console makers not perceiving the PC as a threat , or the PC's resurgence making it too expensive to lock down a game as a total exclusive. Maybe a combination of the three?

I wonder if this was supposed to be a PSX announcement, but due to legal stuff, it couldn't be done. Imagine if the show ended with this announcement.

KarmaCow

Console exclusive, so I should be looking forward to the PC release?

I doubt there is a single line of code written much less a release strategy. Probably too early to expect anything.

Console exclusive means that Sony wants you to know that you shouldn't buy a Xbone if you want it.

Arzehn

Sorry guys, but I hope it's not a horror game.

Exciting stuff, but then it sinks in that this is probably 3+ years away.

Ah well, looking forward to the CG trailer at E3 2017.

orochi91

The abundance of so-called "console exclusive" games (games that are released on only one console plus PC) could be due to three possible reasons: data that shows that there isn't much overlap between console and PC gamers, console makers not perceiving the PC as a threat , or the PC's resurgence making it too expensive to lock down a game as a total exclusive. Maybe a combination of the three?

I recall Sony execs saying that they don't consider PC a competitor platform.

It was a while back.

Top Bottom