• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

every exclusive there is some kind of help. this is not a charity business.
I dunno about that. there've been plenty of 3rd party exclusives in the past and let's not forget all those announced Ps3 3rd party exclusives that ended up becoming multiplatform. it seemed like they were exclusive simply because the previous installments were.
the only thing here is SO is own by insomniac they can do whatever they want with the game once the contract with MS expire.

just like capcom suddenly start to release games that nintendo help to fund on other platforms.
I didn't realize there was an actual contract with insomniac & mS. I thought all it was was a new IP funded by mS, with insomniac getting to keep the rights.
Yeah, I should have said for them to get the console publishing rights. They also published the 360 Trilogy re-releaee, while other 360 re-releases (Platinum Hits in 2009, etc) were still put out by MS.
mS published the ME trilogy? hm. i didn't think that it would need any extra republishing since it was just 3 old games bundled together.

FATALITY

Banned
I got it from their statement being made w.r.t. ownership of IP.
Where did you get it from that they can bring the game to any platform they want?

other than many other games that were in same situation.
there is this definition
Private property is both excludable and rival. Private property access, use, exclusion and management are controlled by the private owner or a group of legal owners.

I dunno about that. there've been plenty of 3rd party exclusives in the past and let's not forget all those announced Ps3 3rd party exclusives that ended up becoming multiplatform. it seemed like they were exclusive simply because the previous installments were.

or maybe because releasing on other platform doesnt worth.
dude come on why wii u doesnt have 3rd party support? doesnt worth.
if ps4 was a failure it wouldnt have any support as well

i remember mass effect being a 1st party exclusive lol
then
mass_effect_trilogy_ps31.jpg

Mass Effect was an oddball of a situation in that the first game was published by MS and then, Bioware joined EA. The latter is what allowed Mass Effect to on the PS3 as the series became EA's, not Microsoft's.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
other than many other games that were in same situation.
there is this definition
Private property is both excludable and rival. Private property access, use, exclusion and management are controlled by the private owner or a group of legal owners.
So it's also just conjecture.

or maybe because releasing on other platform doesnt worth.
dude come on why wii u doesnt have 3rd party support? doesnt worth.
if ps4 was a failure it wouldnt have any support as well
...I would say part of the reason is because the hardware is too behind. Just like the wii's was.
Mass Effect was an oddball of a situation in that the first game was published by MS and then, Bioware joined EA. The latter is what allowed Mass Effect to on the PS3 as the series became EA's, not Microsoft's.
unless ea/bioware was focused on other things though (probably were) you'd have to wonder why it took 5 whole years to port over to Ps3? maybe mS's previous ownership had something to do with it?

Why do people continue to say Microsoft's line up for 2015 is that much better?

Is it because they shoved everything into the tail end of 2015 or it because games like Until Dawn and Tearaway do not count because fuck you reasons?

FATALITY

Banned
Yes. If.

I'm saying you don't know if they have any rights, despite writing confidently that you do.

publishing rights are not forever ip ownership is.
one day microsoft will lose the rights and once that happen insomniac can do whatever they want with the game

benny_a

publishing rights are not forever ip ownership is.
one day microsoft will lose the rights and once that happen insomniac can do whatever they want with the game
That still depends on the terms of what the assets and etc were created under.

So Insomniac Games can in 20 year still hold the IP ownership, but still not the rights to the game they built in 2014.

The point is: IP law is complex and we don't know if Insomniac can bring Sunset Overdrive anywhere but the Xbone.
And maybe they can, and it's still limited and Microsoft has the final say.

This can all be true while their PR statements about owning the IP rights allows them to merchandise the fuck out of it.

Nobody but them know this because that's in the contracts that probably only two hand full of people have read.

FATALITY

Banned
That still depends on the terms of what the assets and etc were created under.

So Insomniac Games can in 20 year still hold the IP ownership, but still not the rights to the game they built in 2014.

The point is: IP law is complex and we don't know if Insomniac can bring Sunset Overdrive anywhere but the Xbone.
And maybe they can, and it's still limited and Microsoft has the final say.

This can all be true while their PR statements about owning the IP rights allows them to merchandise the fuck out of it.

Nobody but them know this because that's in the contracts that probably only two hand full of people have read.

yeah.
the only thing we can do know is speculate because we dont know shit about the contract.
we only know the basics
ms is the publisher and insomniac owns the game thats it

benny_a

yeah.
the only thing we can do know is speculate because we dont know shit about the contract.
we only know the basics
ms is the publisher and insomniac owns the game thats it
But you got it wrong again.

We don't know if they "own the game."

That's the whole point of this exercise.

Is it because they shoved everything into the tail end of 2015 or it because games like Until Dawn and Tearaway do not count because fuck you reasons?

Because the games that are coming out are proven? It's not like these statements are totally unjustified. Tearaway is a port and Until Dawn is unproven.

The reasons Sony doesn't pump enough games is simple because is still selling a lot.

In the other hand MS and Nintendo are pumping games like crazy (or at least more than PS)

I just want people to buy the system with the most games so companies would enter emergency mode.
Microsoft is pumping allot of games? seriously? like as in exclusives or what, im confused.

I'm going to pose the question again - What is it about the statement House made about lack of holiday titles from WWS in 2015, has made people think they'll have fuck all of anything to announce altogether at E3?

Hyperbole, agenda and outright lack of common sense is all I can come up with, because I don't know how some of the conclusions being reached in here are even part of the conversation.

This. It feels like those people are (purposefully in some cases) ignoring that his statement is only talking about the rest of 2015, which we could have guessed since you can't really just snap your fingers and have replacements when 3-4 year developed games like UC4 and Rachet need to be delayed and given more time, this wasn't planned, they aren't lessening first party development like those crazy earlier comments (and that crazy comparison from that guy on Bonus Round) comparing to the second half of 360 where MS reduced their first party to Forza, Gears, Halo on purpose, unlike that we know that Sony have a ton of first party games in the works, we even have heavy rumors about a bunch of them that haven't been announced yet as listed earlier in the thread.

And by the end of the summer Sony will have already released 4 expensively made first party games in Bloodborne, The Order, MLB, and soon Until Dawn before Microsoft will have released anything in like 9 months aside from basically publishing the Xbox version of Ori (which is also on PC not published by them), and they've repeatedly said that all of their studios are working on PS4 games (and even some of the studios that already released games are no doubt already back at new ones, like Sucker Punch).

Like you said, there's no reason to believe Sony doesn't have plenty of stuff they can show for 2016 and if we want to be optimistic there's not necessarily anything in the statement stopping them from still having something smaller like Beyond HD remaster (or even Uncharted HD Collection) which has been heavily rumored and would still fit with "a little sparse" when compared to something huge like the delayed UC4.

If The Order or Uncharted 4 were actually released in November or December, would anyone actually be criticizing though? People posting in this thread are saying that Persona 5 is a feather in the PS4's cap, rather than saying that it will inevitably be overshadowed by 101 AAA Christmas games.

People forget that the holes in Sony's lineup are not the result of some grand strategy that revolves around a year-long release schedule. They are simply the unfortunate result of production delays.

This. This right here.

Unlike with that situation, we know Sony has a ton of first party studios working on games right now (even far beyond just their big 3 of UC4, God of War 4, and Gran Turismo 7) and clearly don't plan to have only minimal first party game development going forward.

Plus like you said it's great we're getting some of the bigger Japanese games like Persona 5 (SO5, etc) with PS4 versions, it seems obvious that, at least partially, Sony themselves have been involved in pushing for that. Not to mention stuff like the upcoming SF V.

Because the games that are coming out are proven? It's not like these statements are totally unjustified. Tearaway is a port and Until Dawn is unproven.

First Tearaway is not a port it will have 50% more content. Second how are any unreleased games proven? Nothing is proven till release, just look at AC:Unity,Diablo 3 Vanilla or Devil May Cry 2. All had stellar predecessors yet these games were not even close to as good.

Tearaway Unfolded tiptoes the line between remaster and remake because it'll have way more content than the original game plus the fact it'll play differently with the Dualshock 4. Until Dawn may be unproven, but so was Bloodborne. I've seen people saying how it wouldn't sell because it's niche and it wasn't "____ Souls" in the title. Am I saying Until Dawn will sell 1 million in 10 days? No, but each game is unproven until launch.

benny_a

First Tearaway is not a port it will have 50% more content. Second how are any unreleased games proven? Nothing is proven till release, just look at AC:Unity,Diablo 3 Vanilla or Devil May Cry 2. All had stellar predecessors yet these games were not even close to as good.
Tearaway is 50% unproven. :D

Hugstable

Banned
Tearaway is also a port of game no one played. it's going to be brand new to majority of people.

And it's a good game at that, easily the single best platformer to ever come out of a Sony studio. I'm excited to see what changes they do to make up for the absence of the back touchpad.

benny_a

just curious, do you think Tearaway is AAA like uncharted, Halo, Gears, TLOU?
There is no thinking involved in that.

AAA means how important something is to the publisher and the way that can be measured as an outside observer without access to the books is marketing budget.

And that question has been answered by House.

statham

There is no thinking involved in that.

AAA means how important something is to the publisher and the way that can be measured as an outside observer without access to the books is marketing budget.

And that question has been answered by House.

so is it AAA?

statham

Maybe you should quote the people that put it in the same league and then we'll ask them why they think what they seemingly think.

I just made a blanket statement if anybody thought that, to see if anybody thought that. I didn't quote anybody, but just seeing who thought that.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I thought whether a game is AAA or not was something that can be factually determined and not a matter of opinion.

Is that so? The budget for every AAA game pretty much differs. There is no standard. Not only that but the staff employed for every AAA game more or less differs, with extreme cases in between. The term is as loose or vague as ever. Not to mention dev cycles for small staff crafting "AAA" releases with smaller budgets vs. yearly releases. 2 year timetable, 3 year timetable.... everything plays a part. Sales can't even be factored in - AAA games flop. "High production values", "ambition", "scale" - that more less determines it on an individual basis - which at times form consensus, sometimes it does not.

I'm curious to know who is "some" :)

Statham is not gonna answer that. But I'll save his skin. Is Teraway Unfolded a AAA game, like Halo 5? Yes it's.

Little Big Planet 4 will be true evolution of the IP. Sony messed up big time making it cross-gen in addition to rushing the release.

I wish LBP3 never existed, it's tainted the whole series for me and I used to love it.

We just don't know, but JK Money (and somebody else I instantly forgot) have shoved Tomb Raider into the first party exclusives pile for this Christmas, so be ready because it's evolving as we watch.

Says the guy who wanked himself orange over Sunset Overdrive months and months before release (the games release, not his). It's seems you can be optimistic but only if ... only if... No, it's gone. I'm sure your reasons are valid though.

Fuck man stop beating around the bush

is it AAA or not

statham won't be allowed to play it if it's rated AAA. Please put him out of his misery, benny_a

goonergaz

So has this shifted to 'what exclusive proven AAA titles will Sony release over the next few months?' lol those warriors really narrowing down and targeting an insignificant 'win' for their camp.

WRT LBP3 I have no idea why that wasn't 3D - it would have made perfect sense.

TBH I don't really care about 'blockbusters' from Sony, if I want a 'blockbuster' I can get that from 3rd party - what I really like about Sony is they do tend to have a wider selection of game types (for me anyway).

PS I'd love to see another Getaway.

These kinds of posts always crack me up. You're only interested in one PS4 game, which naturally is the one that was delayed. Then predictably, you're interested in every single game on the Xbox One.

Posts like these are just meant to take a jab at the other system.

Wrong - I'm not having a go at Sony or the PS4, I owned a PS1 , PS2 and PS3, and will own a PS4 when there are enough exclusives that interest me - I don't see what is wrong with that

Nouzka

Probably both reasons. I really don't understand this narrative that only games released end of the year counts or counts more, like I don't get it.

Oh, and Dragon Quest Heroes and Persona 5 are IMO two quite big Playstation exclusives released at end of this year.

geordiemp

Ok so I own a XB1 already but I am really looking for a reason to justify getting PS4 as well but at the moment I can't see one apart from Uncharted which is due 2016 - which is a shame

I can get all the upcoming third-party blockbusters on the XB1, ok we can assume the PS4 version's will be slightly better but not enough to justify buying both consoles.

As it stand Gears, Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Elite Dangerous, FM6 are much more appealing first party titles (to me anyway)

And I am the opposite, we have 2 x 360 and 2 x Ps4 and wanted to get an Xb1 at some stage. Was my sons birthday last week and hovered over that buy button as he still has Live friends (but really hard to go back to 360 after Ps4 for both of us).

However, with 55 inch 4 K Panny 802 TV's I cannot stand sub 1080 games and so that only leaves Forza, if the DX12 thing pans out and exclusives get a upgrade and run a bit better would consider it more. MS really need to sort out that console imo.

Tomb raider is the only game on there I would go for, Halo went downhill rapidly after Halo 2/3 and now prefer Destiny Crucible.

See how opinions work ? At least you did not use the collecting dust phrase...

Top Bottom