• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 will have Ray tracing in 30fps, 40fps, and 60fps

bender

What time is it?
"Will somebody think of the Steamdeck" is now the new concern™

These narratives™ are ever shifty, you see.

I, for one, am really sick of the Steam Deck and by extension PC Gaming holding back the industry.

kanna-hashimoto-smile.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's worth the upgrade if you can. I finally did it earlier this year when I bought an oled tv, and can say hands down that 40 fps feels so much better than 30 fps. Having basically the same image quality as the 30fps mode but at 40fps is a huge W.

I could, but I have this thing that when I buy a new TV I want pretty much the best currently available so it'll last me a good few years. So that would probably be Sony's top OLED (Sony over LG mainly because I prefer Google TV), and that's not cheap... and my current TV (great Sony LED from 2017) is still very nice, so I'm having a bit of a hard time justifying it. But yeah, I'm gonna have to soon, can't stay with 4K60 forever.

Last edited:

solidus12

Bro.... all the receipts for Alex and crew's dumbassery and FUD towards the PS5 prior to launch are in the original next-gen OT. Go digging.
Also during the release of the PS5, he was downplaying the games, calling Spider-Man Miles Morales, Spider-Man whatever.

But when it released on pc, he was salivating to cover the game on pc; like a virgin about to get his dick sucked for the first time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also during the release of the PS5, he was downplaying the games, calling Spider-Man Miles Morales, Spider-Man whatever.

But when it released on pc, he was salivating to cover the game on pc; like a virgin about to get his dick sucked for the first time.
We know the tool's history here when he would jump into HZD threads and downplay the graphics and lighting and prop up Star Citizen as comparison flexing.

The Star Citizen "accurate global illumination and shadows" was interestingly absent from his Starfield coverage which while it does look nice, is very inaccurate GI/shadows, like HZD. I wonder why that is? 🤔

Last edited:

solidus12

We know the tool's history here when he would jump into HZD threads and downplay the graphics and lighting and prop up Star Citizen as comparison flexing.

The Star Citizen "accurate global illumination and shadows" was interestingly absent from his Starfield coverage which while it does look nice, is very inaccurate GI/shadows, like HZD. I wonder why that is? 🤔
Let’s not forget the damage control he was doing for Halo Infinite’s infamous gameplay trailer. He stated that it was only a lighting issue that will be solved when 343 releases the raytracing patch.

30fps mode in SM remastered is shit though. Really really laggy compared to some better 30fps games
This is one of the reasons why I need 60fps to stay a standard in console games.

Nearly all of the veteran Xbox 360/PS3 devs are project leaders, moved on, or are retired by now...and the newer generation of devs simply care very little or plain don't care anymore about making 30fps feel smooth.

For some reason it feels like a lost art that everyone fights about, PC elitists will claim 'it's all the same trash', and only a few console gamers out there actually noticed this to be an issue.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This is one of the reasons why I need 60fps to stay a standard in console games.

Nearly all of the veteran Xbox 360/PS3 devs are project leaders, moved on, or are retired by now...and the newer generation of devs simply care very little or plain don't care anymore about making 30fps feel smooth.

For some reason it feels like a lost art that everyone fights about, PC elitists will claim 'it's all the same trash', and only a few console gamers out there actually noticed this to be an issue.
40 is very good middle ground now that 30 sucks ass most of time

40 is very good middle ground now that 30 sucks ass most of time
Only with the right TV, and putting that onus on the consumer feels a bit scummy to me deep down, because it gives me the same feeling as when a dev says 'it's not our game that's unoptimized, it's that you don't have the best version of the 4080 to run it'.

JimboJones

Bro.... all the receipts for Alex and crew's dumbassery and FUD towards the PS5 prior to launch are in the original next-gen OT. Go digging.
Nothing concrete ever comes up though 🤷, anything people point to as a smoking gun always reads as somewhat fairly reasonable on my end, it's comes across as if we are not allowed to question or critic Sony at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I played through the previous two games with 60fps and raytracing and it looked awesome to me.

The secret is, just select it and never change it and enjoy. I trust insomniac is making the best game they can at that target so it wouldn't look any better.

ckaneo

Because Ray tracing is a resource hog that could have been put to better use overloading textures and faking lighting and 60fps means that they couldnt go nuts with the simulations of physics.

I mean the game still looks good no doubt, but it's a technical showcase as opposed to a pure graphical one. Which is fine, but im one of those degenerates who plays everything in 30fps fidelity mode.

Last edited:

Dunky

If I play it it’ll be 40hz for me. 40 is a nice balance between visuals and performance.

For Wolverine I really want them to push the graphics to the max on ps5. Make it so it can only run at 30fps and then leave the 60fps mode to the ps5 Pro

That makes no sense. How is 60fps holding back the 30fps mode. The defence between the two modes is what is truly the difference between 60 and 30.

Gambit2483

Because Ray tracing is a resource hog that could have been put to better use overloading textures and faking lighting and 60fps means that they couldnt go nuts with the simulations of physics.

I mean the game still looks good no doubt, but it's a technical showcase as opposed to a pure graphical one. Which is fine, but im one of those degenerates who plays everything in 30fps fidelity mode.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought RT actually improves lighting, especially with shadows and interior lighting 🤔
And the textures look just fine imo 🤷‍♂️

As for physics I think that boils down more to coding than framerate optimization. There's plenty of 30fps games that don't take advantage of insane physics because it's just hard as hell to code for. At least that's my understanding from watching that video of devs gushing over Zeldas use of physics. Never saw them mention framerates 🤷‍♂️

Ev1L AuRoN

Given what we've seen of games this gen with 60fps, my expectation is lows of 720p or less with dynamic resolution and a stuttery mess. This gen has been pretty awful for visual consistency. Jedi Survivor took it back 20 years and dropped sub-HD to 648p lows while dropping from 60 > 30fps on PS5.
After playing Ratchet and Clank on PS5 I think people will be shocked on how good this 60fps rt mode will be.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought RT actually improves lighting, especially with shadows and interior lighting 🤔
And the textures look just fine imo 🤷‍♂️

As for physics I think that boils down more to coding than framerate optimization. There's plenty of 30fps games that don't take advantage of insane physics because it's just hard as hell to code for. At least that's my understanding from watching that video of devs gushing over Zeldas use of physics. Never saw them mention framerates 🤷‍♂️
Yes, but the ray tracing in this game isnt going to be used for all that. It's going to be more selective as opposed to comprehensive. Which makes sense, thats the only way it works on consoles. Ray tracing is better but it's a resource hog.

I meant physics as in trees swaying, clothes moving, etc. Things that dont matter and are also a resource hog as opposed to game design physics. At 30fps there is more room for that kind of stuff. At 60 the cpu is doing a ton of work

Last edited:
Yes, but the ray tracing in this game isnt going to be used for all that. It's going to be more selective as opposed to comprehensive. Which makes sense, thats the only way it works on consoles. Ray tracing is better but it's a resource hog.

I meant physics as in trees swaying, clothes moving, etc. Things that dont matter and are also a resource hog as opposed to game design physics. At 30fps there is more room for that kind of stuff. At 60 the cpu is doing a ton of work

I think it's more RT than before. With the last game it was really only reflections but that didn't apply to the water. They mentioned reflections and that it would apply to the water as well. Not sure where else they use RT in this game but only that it's available in all modes.

I'm sure between the different modes RT quality will differ. Like the resolution of the reflections will probably change for example. Maybe even the removal from certain surfaces like water but we need a good analysis to point out the differences.

Source:

Last edited:

JimboJones

Probably just boiled down to prioritizing. They probably felt raytraced reflections provided the best bang for buck with regards to flashy next gen graphics.
At the end of the day you are swinging around the city with lots of glass and large bodies of water so kinda makes sense it would be top priority.

Raonak

Banned
Playstation studios tech is so damn impressive.

In an era of day one patches and broken launches, every major Sony game coming out swinging with insane levels of polish and performance.

Fbh

As long as it doesn't mean the 60fps mode needs to be cranked down to 720p like other current gen games this is cool.
Also I love how Insomniac consistently supports 40fps modes in their games. With the limited hardware of consoles it's really a nice compromise between visuals fidelity and smoothness

DeepSpace5D

Nice, I’ll probably play the first play-through at 40fps 120hz mode. That mode was really impressive in Rift Apart, and I expect no differently here. Plus, might as well use the feature if you have a set capable of it.

But after the main campaign, I’ll most likely settle on performance mode like I typically do for all games.

Starting to get hyped for the release. The lighting and draw distance looks really good in recent trailers, and the city traversal speed is noticeably faster than before.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

I agree with this sentiment most of the time, but with this game RT is essential for the reflections. The NY just wouldn’t feel the same without RT reflections. For me at least, it makes NY feel more “alive” with RT on if that makes sense?

Steamdeck and its 3 million users can go fuck themselves. You are a blip. If a game doesn’t run well it doesn’t run well that’s life. #nooffense
I love my Steam Deck, but I've no interest in pushing it for AAA games whatsoever. I'm happy for the SD to be an afterthought for the blockbusters

Top Bottom