• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 will have Ray tracing in 30fps, 40fps, and 60fps

Markio128

Gold Member
I do distinctly remember all the concern regarding console gamers having to get used to a future at 30fps. Now we have a AAA 60fps game with RT just around the corner, and somehow, there is still concern.

half baked bullshit GIF

JimboJones

Good, it's settled. Who gives a shit.
People who own a PC and Steamdeck/handheld PC?
It will be interesting to see how it runs, or if they even bother with a rasterized version(or if it even comes out at all). People with PS5's you can sleep easy, it's on PS5 already.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Has it been announced for the PC yet?

The concern trolling has been noted, however. Carry on.
Concern trolling...😅, good grief man. It's a game with a history of appearing on PC, it's reasonable to wonder what the performance could be like on that platform.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
So insomniac listened to feedback on SM remastered and gave users multiple modes and now have those modes at launch for the sequel?
chad.gif

Last edited:

JTCx

Let’s not forget the damage control he was doing for Halo Infinite’s infamous gameplay trailer. He stated that it was only a lighting issue that will be solved when 343 releases the raytracing patch.
That video he put out about Halo infinites "lighting" was straight up embarrassing and full of copium.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
More than Spider-Man I can't *wait* to see what they do with Wolverine, going to be epic.
Same. Spider-Man is technically really good, but I don't find the story or the gameplay very engaging past the first couple hours of being amazed by the cool web swinging.

Wolverine is going to be a whole different beast. Hopefully we'll get realistic RT reflections in giant puddles of blood on the ground.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same. Spider-Man is technically really good, but I don't find the story or the gameplay very engaging past the first couple hours of being amazed by the cool web swinging.

Wolverine is going to be a whole different beast. Hopefully we'll get realistic RT reflections in giant puddles of blood on the ground.

Funny, I feel the exact opposite. There are few things I love more than really fun traversal in a well made open world, and Spider-Man has that coming out of its ass. Will Wolverine? I'm having a hard time imagining it. Seems to me like that character makes most sense in a brawler of some kind, and that doesn't get me hyped up at all.

zeldaring

Banned
I'm always on the side of 60fps. Have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about RT on all the time. I mean.....if anyone can do that then it is Insomniac. But memories of Jedi Survivor are still fresh.

I'll shut up. I believe, Insomniac!
yup 60fps to 30fps is such a massive difference in motion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
because instead of one polished mode, you get one good mode and a bunch of "what the hell is this crap" modes.

Every mode in all Insomniac PS5 releases have been great. Sure, you always sacrifice something by going with one mode over another, but not like in most other games this generation where the performance mode usually looks awful compared to fidelity mode but still can't maintain a solid 60fps.

zeldaring

Banned
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. There are few things I love more than really fun traversal in a well made open world, and Spider-Man has that coming out of its ass. Will Wolverine? I'm having a hard time imagining it. Seems to me like that character makes most sense in a brawler of some kind, and that doesn't get me hyped up at all.
Gow style game with wolverine would be epic i just don't that level design where everything is blocking your path.

zeldaring

Banned
Perhaps. I guess it's just not really a character I feel very strongly about.
Capcom really did a amazing job with wolverine. I kinda wish santa monica could do wolverine as the combat in GOW is elite. wolverin si such a amazing character for me. the essence of bad ass. the joel of comic books.

Audiophile

I expect we'll be seeing a set of dynamic internal res ranges between 1278-2160p depending on fps mode; with temporal injection upsampling, probs some slight visual changes between modes such as RT reflection quality and draw distance/asset density.

Crayon

I'm no expert but i watch gpu reviews compulsively. The pattern seems to be that rdna 2 can do a certain amount of rt workload with a reasonable performance hit. Any workload more than very light rt and it crumbles fast. These guys are technical masterminds and they are apparently walking the tightrope in such a way that's not worth the fps gain to turn off the rt.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The traversal was certainly the best part of the game, and the graphics and performance were great, too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I expect we'll be seeing a set of dynamic internal res ranges between 1278-2160p depending on fps mode; with temporal injection upsampling, probs some slight visual changes between modes such as RT reflection quality and draw distance/asset density.
BESPOKE
E
S
P
O
K
E

Crayon

Ray tracing in a 60fps mode. Call me cautiously optimistic. I hope it happens, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't work out.

SM remastered already has an rt/60 mode. It looks good, runs perfect. The resolution hit is noticeable but iq is still better than a lot of games. I think the traffic and npc density looks a little lower. Could be me. Also not sure, but the resolution of the rt reflections might be lower, too. I'm sure they've refined the tech since then, though. RT was strictly 30fps on release, after all.

salva

Damn Spiderman 1 hyped me to buy a PS4.
Now spiderman 2 is doing the same for a ps5. But fk give me a Spiderman 2 + ps5 slim bundle, will wait for that

sachos

I wish they could add more RT to the 30fps mode, it seems its only RT reflections they are doing? RTAO/Shadows or even better RTGI, i think RTGI is essential to achieve a "true next gen" look.

Audiophile

Day/night cycle hasn't made it. Wonder if it's a technical limitation still or -- as Insomniac say -- it's purely creative.

Will probs show up in a heavily retooled spidey 3 near the end of the gen or spidey 4 on PS6 and will no longer be a "creative decision".

Top Bottom