• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

Berordn

Who cares if it's playable "at some point every day"? There are 24 hour gaps after every session. That's not acceptable at all.

The three day gap is so ridiculous I don't even feel like expanding on that.

I'm not arguing in favor of this. Just pointing out that a three day gap in availability makes some sense if they're squeezing splatfests in there.

No need for hostility.

groansey

It looks amazing but the only downside is the returning stages are Port Mackerel and Moray Towers. I could've done without playing either of them again.

I'm not arguing in favor of this. Just pointing out that a three day gap in availability makes some sense if they're squeezing splatfests in there.

No need for hostility.

Being frustrated at this does not equate to being hostile. I'm obviously not upset with you or anyone here.

mebizzle

It looks amazing but the only downside is the returning stages are Port Mackerel and Moray Towers. I could've done without playing either of them again.

Yeah this sucks, I hope part of their update schedule includes updating old maps (give me some Kelp Dome). I like Port Mackerel but I'm not a huge fan of Moray Towers :(

TDLink

I feel like Pearl is a huge misfire. Callie and Marie worked so well because they were both great designs. You could get a real rivalry going between people who had slightly different preferences. But Marina is so clearly better than Pearl, it's not a fair fight. I am sure a few people out there will support her, but already the majority seem to be gravitating towards the superior character design. I wonder how this will effect Splatfests too assuming each one is supporting a different side like Callie and Marie did.

Yeah this sucks, I hope part of their update schedule includes updating old maps (give me some Kelp Dome). I like Port Mackerel but I'm not a huge fan of Moray Towers :(

I would expect all of the old maps to come back eventually, slightly modified (like with the inklines or sponges).

So, what the hell is up with that bubble blower? If you don't have teammates willing to work with you it's garbage?

It's a really neat idea, but man, I really want to see how that thing works.

renzolama

Remember those silly, silly people who said Splatoon 2 doesn't look like a sequel?

Lmao

giphy.gif

Aldric

So, what the hell is up with that bubble blower? If you don't have teammates willing to work with you it's garbage?

It's a really neat idea, but man, I really want to see how that thing works.

... You blow the bubbles and then you shoot them with your main weapon to make them pop.

I feel like Pearl is a huge misfire. Callie and Marie worked so well because they were both great designs. You could get a real rivalry going between people who had slightly different preferences. But Marina is so clearly better than Pearl, it's not a fair fight. I am sure a few people out there will support her, but already the majority seem to be gravitating towards the superior character design. I wonder how this will effect Splatfests too assuming each one is supporting a different side like Callie and Marie did.

Meanwhile I half expect japan to say the exact opposite.

mclem

BTW, did you guys all get the period joke during the stream? Made me chuckle. Completely unexpected coming from Nintendo. Guess someone in Treehouse was being cheeky.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
"Inklings like to think of her [Flow] as their crazy, old aunt."

Nah, it's entirely innocent. They're just fans of Bod

Kudo

Pearl has her fanbase for sure, me and my friends like her too and I really don't get the hate here.
Their song during the Direct is absolutely great, Pearl doing some rapping and Marina doing that sweet chorus, love the duo.

TDLink

Even if that's true (and I'm not sure it is...Japan loved Twintelle too, not just the west), that's still a problem. You don't want one character being so clearly more popular in one specific region, even if the other dominates in a different one.

The problem with Pearl is she's too much like a generic Inkling, also her face seems weird for some reason. Contrast that with Marina being a really new and different character design and it's going to create a clear winner in any potential "rivalry".

It was a pretty decent direct, alot more insightful than I expected. Some of the new weapons look pretty sweet, I'm a roller guy myself. Different rankings per ranked match modes, the app. Pretty sure the Salmon Run play times are to keep everyone coming back after the initial hype is gone, although imo Splatoon 1 had endless replay value anyways, its still played at our house although I get it most peoples main shooter is still Overwatch.

I called it yesterday... Another Testfire! I was hoping it'd be open demo but I'll take what I can get and fight with my fiance over who gets to play, release date is only another week out.

Did everyone remember to preorder their Amiibos? it was a shit show last year trying to track them down, if you didn't get them the day Splatoon 1 came out, you were SOL, I drove around to a couple stores to get the 3 pack, impressive for a new IP that I almost decided not to get. I like that I'll be able to save my loadouts to the Amiibo's very useful in a game like this.

I wish the game had a different art style to make it look more like a sequel. It's weird that it's on a different platform, but it still looks like a Wii U game.

I wish the game had a different art style to make it look more like a sequel. It's weird that it's on a different platform, but it still looks like a Wii U game.

First and foremost, you have an amazing username from an amazing episode of an amazing show. Second, I've seen this sentiment a lot lately and I'm confused about the origin. Maybe it's just that I've never personally felt like sequels need a new art style.

javac

I'm torn between gettin these Joycons or the Splatoon Pro Controller :/

I don't have a Pro Controller, I should probably get one but I'm just going to get these and shove the Neon Blue/Red Cons into the grip and tell myself that it's "good enough" :p I pretty much exclusively play in handheld mode so these make more sense for me.

First and foremost, you have an amazing username from an amazing episode of an amazing show. Second, I've seen this sentiment a lot lately and I'm confused about the origin. Maybe it's just that I've never personally felt like sequels need a new art style.

Thank you and I only think that if it's for a new platform. Same platform it's okay, new platform not okay.

Top Bottom