• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

Neoxon

I wish the game had a different art style to make it look more like a sequel. It's weird that it's on a different platform, but it still looks like a Wii U game.
Maybe you should see this comparison between Splatoon 1 & Splatoon 2.
The leap
Splatoon-Inkopolis-12.jpg
DEDv6KIXUAUykQK.jpg
Also, not every sequel has to reinvent its art style.

I'm torn between gettin these Joycons or the Splatoon Pro Controller :/

Splatoon 2 Pro controller forsure. Originally I was gonna get the joycons but that requires buying another charging grip. Honestly when its just me playing, I always use the Pro controller anyways, I'm up to two sets of joy cons and a Pro controller, might as well even it out and add another Pro controller... plus it looks sick!

Aldric

After rewatching the direct l noticed bomb rush isn't necessarily linked to the subweapon anymore. The Aerospray has suction bomb as a sub and curling bomb rush as a special. Rapid Blaster has splat bomb rush as a special, l wonder if it'll have a different sub. My wish of a burst bomb Rapid might be realized.

Kneefoil

I feel like Pearl is a huge misfire. Callie and Marie worked so well because they were both great designs. You could get a real rivalry going between people who had slightly different preferences. But Marina is so clearly better than Pearl, it's not a fair fight. I am sure a few people out there will support her, but already the majority seem to be gravitating towards the superior character design. I wonder how this will effect Splatfests too assuming each one is supporting a different side like Callie and Marie did.

#TeamPearl here. But I don't think that Marina looks bad either... For the most part anyway. I really don't like her eyes. From what little we saw of their personalities, I also liked Pearl's better.

I'mma gonna miss Callie and Marie, though. I think they are visually the better designed duo. "Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook!" is also way less catchy than "Stay fresh!"

Metalmarc

Missed the direct

Question if me and my Girlfriend get Switches, can we play Splatoon 2 together in Multiplayer mode offline but system linked? And will the other players be bots?

Missed the direct

Question if me and my Girlfriend get Switches, can we play Splatoon 2 together in Multiplayer mode offline but system linked? And will the other players be bots?

Yes it sounded like that was possible, in the direct today they said you could play on the same team in multiplayer for the first time with ppl in your friends list. I know you can't do it off the same Switch but if you both have one I'm certain thats how you'd do it.

Anteo

Missed the direct

There are no bots on this game. No download play either. But you can play online as a group.

Ogodei

Man, i thought this game was coming out on the 14th, but i was confusing it with ARMS' release date last month.

Here i planned something to do on the 22nd and cleared my schedule for the weekend of the 14th, now i've gotta find something to do on the one and cut the other one a little short...

Mini-splatfest is a cool idea to get people rolling, though.

Re: imbalance between Marina and Pearl. If they haven't changed the Splatfest logic for winners and losers, then there's an incentive to go for the less popular side by the better players because it tilts the win percentage, so Pearl, like Marie before her, will become the favorite of the hardcore players (unless Pearl's repping what will obviously be the more popular choice).

Yeah, definitely can't call this only Graphically on par with the original.

It's a genuinely pretty game.

Splatoon in my opinion only ever needed to be polished and tightened up in progression and weapon elements and it showed as a highly experimental title, there are a number of gameplay stuff that I strongly dislike such as uninteresting invincibility specials (in contrast to this game where every special seems to have impact but isn't dominant and rewards more skillful and less panic play and better set-ups and mind games because of how they force movement) and it showed the team's relative inexperience to the genre. The core gameplay is so so strong that throwing that out would be a total insanity, it just needed refinement and it seems to be getting that in a nicely filled out package.

toa95

Unfortunate that the US doesn't seem to be getting the Joycon colors... Really wanted pink and green but not bad enough to import.

Soulfire

So excited for this. I've got the art book preordered off of Amazon, arriving Tuesday I believe. The pro pre-ordered off of Walmart, not coming until the 27th I think which sucks. Amiibos preordered and about to pre-order the guide because what's another $12. I think I'm going to drag my kids out release day through to buy the actual game so I don't have to wait for it to be delivered. Hoping my husband can find a switch before then so that we can each have our own. Did I mention I'm excited?
Only downside of the direct for me was the lack of NA joycon info. Really don't want to have to import, hoping they're announced when the Marina and Pearl amiibos are because you know they're getting made.

TDLink

Missed the direct

You can play Salmon Run together offline that way for sure. The versus modes, you would have to be online I think, but you could still play together on the same team if you both have systems.

ChrisD

I woke up late so I missed the thing live, but I just watched it all and I was smiling like a little kid, and was (embarrassingly) giggling whenever things like the Baller and Brella showed up.

I
NEED
IT
NOW

And BLESS NINTY FOR EARLY SPLATFEST. Team Icecream all the way! I may have sensitive teeth, but the dessert experience is definitely better than cake!

Kureransu

Huh... the only thing they have on Amazon is the digital code. That seems weird.

They had a sale on the preorder a couple days ago, making it 47.88 it sold out then. I'm salty about it as well, because i thought i had it pre ordered and all i have in there is rime...

Hopefully they stock up in time where the discount is still eligible. I couldn't care less about getting it late. lol

Jims

Ewwwwww, they brought back Port Mackerel. Gross, disgusting. What's next, Bluefin Depot? Saltspray Rig? :p
(Although the layout changes make it look more interesting. Could be neat.)

Really fun Direct. I wish there was another game type (other than Salmon Run), that was the biggest disappointment for me. But all the nuts-and-bolts gameplay changes looked really good. Can't wait when that Brella comes out. That fast Splat Dualies variation looks like it could be crazy fun.

(They gave the Tri-Slosher Burst Bombs...)

Geg

Yeah out of all the maps to bring back Moray and Port are really weird choices. At least they improved them

Seik

Banned
The leap part 2.

Holy shit.

720p really was a downer on the Wii U, I thought the gameplay was awesome but the resolution was crippling it so much, IQ wise.

Glad to see we're getting a full HD title this time, and it looks so good! :O

Kandinsky

Who cares if it's playable "at some point every day"? There are 24 hour gaps after every session. That's not acceptable at all.

The three day gap is so ridiculous I don't even feel like expanding on that.

The devs have doubled-down on this bullshit from the first game (which I could kind of understand at the time, due to the Wii U's pitiful install base). It's insane and completely indefensible.

Lol, maybe the rewards are too good, so they need to control it, idk I'm just trying to understand it haha

Yeah out of all the maps to bring back Moray and Port are really weird choices. At least they improved them

Splatoon 1's single-player mechanics were conspicuously missing in the multiplayer (and there were hardly any dynamic stage elements overall, with a few exceptions like the elevator platform in Saltspray Rig and the rotating structures in Museum D'Alfonsino), so I'm glad to see them in the revised Moray Towers and Port Mackerel. The other thing about these maps is that they might be a better fit for the removal of the GamePad, given the "linearity" of their layout around a central conflict zone, whereas bringing back something like Kelp Dome would have been a disaster, and the neutral knobs off to the side on Saltspray wouldn't have worked as well as they were so clearly designed around the peripheral vision of territorial control that the GamePad provided.

I would have picked Triggerfish and Museum myself, or directed more attention generally towards the stages that were patched into the first game late. I played a ton of Splatoon 1 at launch but barely remember ever drawing some of the late additions like Piranha Pit and Ancho-V (partly due to the excessively long rotation), and I'm sure there are a lot of players in the same position.

TDLink

I think Moray Towers and Port Mackerel are unique choices to bring back. The Towers have a verticality to them that doesn't really show up in other stages, while the Port has lots of long corridors. I think they actually make the most sense being back in lieu of new stages that fill similar roles.

I think we'll see most of the other old stages return in time anyways though, so I'm not too worried.

xandaca

So is local player now only for people whose friends also own Switches? Hard to tell. The local modes in the original were complete crap, but I was hoping for a Turf War with bots or something. None of my friends own consoles but I sometimes take mine over to theirs, it'd be a shame if we still can't get the proper Splatoon experience because it's so easily suited to local multiplayer.

JP

My Switch is turning up tomorrow and I've not seen a "direct" before. This is what I watched - Splatoon 2 Direct - Everything You Need to Know!

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? 🙁

Neoxon

My Switch is turning up tomorrow and I've not seen a "direct" before. This is what I watched - Splatoon 2 Direct - Everything You Need to Know!

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? 🙁
This was their E3 presentation this year. The game-focused Directs are basically info dumps for the game in question.

So is local player now only for people whose friends also own Switches? Hard to tell. The local modes in the original were complete crap, but I was hoping for a Turf War with bots or something. None of my friends own consoles but I sometimes take mine over to theirs, it'd be a shame if we still can't get the proper Splatoon experience because it's so easily suited to local multiplayer.

Yep its still crap if any local modes. They completely ignore the local split screen multiplayer fanbase for Splatoon.

TDLink

Everyone needs their own Switch and copy of the game. Locally you can play 2-4 people in Salmon Run or 2-8 people in the four versus modes.

phanphare

Banned

that was the live thing and I don't get your complaint about it being a 25-minute long trailer

it was a Direct about Splatoon 2 and they detailed everything in Splatoon 2

what were you expecting?

Top Bottom