• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

NSESN

My Switch is turning up tomorrow and I've not seen a "direct" before. This is what I watched - Splatoon 2 Direct - Everything You Need to Know!

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? 🙁

Game focused directs are always like that. Normal directs are more like pre-recorded conferences.

I don't really care what Splatoon 2 looks like... but is that supposed to show a generational leap? Looks less pronounced than Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

considering splatoon 2 is on a handheld, yes thats impressive

we are comming from games like this
metroidprime_1841183.jpg
3DS_ResidentEvilRevelations_19_mediaplayer_large.png

DNAbro

My Switch is turning up tomorrow and I've not seen a "direct" before. This is what I watched - Splatoon 2 Direct - Everything You Need to Know!

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? 🙁

Game specific Directs are supposed to be large info dump. This literally answered every single question I had about the game so it was pretty perfect.

xandaca

Yep its still crap if any local modes. They completely ignore the local split screen multiplayer fanbase for Splatoon.

Everyone needs their own Switch and copy of the game. Locally you can play 2-4 people in Salmon Run or 2-8 people in the four versus modes.

A real shame, but thanks for the info. Would love to teach my friends this game after I got them good at Pikmin.

javac

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? ��

Directs all vary from one to the next, the ones that focus on a specific game like the ARMS Direct are similar to what you just watched but they usually each have a "spin" or gimmick related to the game it's presenting, this one being presented by a "squid research lab". The game specific Directs just pore over the features and are basically video equivalents of what were usually information detailed in website excerpts and press releases but are instead done in a fun and visual style. General Directs most times are just trailers on old and new games with a few comments on release and features etc. Over the years they've become less dry and more varied and involved and people really like them, don't know what you expected from a 25 min video about a game coming out in 3 weeks.

Are they always done in that sort of format? It was absolutely terrible, one of the worst presentations I've seen in terms of games, it was a 25-minute long trailer. Was the live thing something other than that? ��

Game-specific directs are usually presented as themed news updates.

They're pretty similar to the marketing videos Nintendo, Rare, and a few others used to put out in the 90s. edit: Here's one for Diddy Kong Racing

I like them because they tend to be more detailed than a trailer can be. I prefer my trailers to just show and not tell; Directs, on the other hand, are a great format for explanation.

JP

Alright, fair enough, I do appear to be the only person here who didn't enjoy that. 😜

Thanks for all the replies, I'm in no way trying to insult Nintendo, the presentation format just didn't do anything for me. I don't know what it was, it just felt sort of lifeless. I think I was expecting people to be there actually playig the game live and talking about it. As I said though, it is the first one that I've seen so I was going in completely blind.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

??? ???

What did you want? This is what a Nintendo Direct is, it's a huge chunk of info about a game or games. I actually have no idea how to even parse this complaint, "worst presentation"? What is a better presentation?

[Edit] Okay seein your post above, still pretty weird tho. I sure wouldn't have preferred people playing the game live and talking about it.

phanphare

Banned
Alright, fair enough, I do appear to be the only person here who didn't enjoy that. 😜

Thanks for all the replies, I'm in no way trying to insult Nintendo, the presentation format just didn't do anything for me. I don't know what it was, it just felt sort of lifeless. I think I was expecting people to be there actually playig the game live and talking about it. As I said though, it is the first one that I've seen so I was going in completely blind.

they did some treehouse streams where they do that if you want to check those out

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=splatoon+2+e3+treehouse

vid

It seems like the Nintendo Treehouse Live segments are more suited for you, then. When those come around, it's literally a bunch of NOA employees playing and showing off specific aspects of whatever upcoming (or recently released) title.

Welcome to the Switch crew, and I hope you have fun splatting!

Brofield

I just realized that nothing was announced about the Pink/Green joy cons for the NA Direct.

Japan is getting it July 21st, and Europe was bumped from autumn to July 28th. Are we in North America stuck with a late September release still?

Gradivus

How long is the story mode in the original game? I missed the first game, but thinking about picking it up to get a hang of the game before 2 arrives.

ryechu

How long is the story mode in the original game? I missed the first game, but thinking about picking it up to get a hang of the game before 2 arrives.

SP was like 3-5 hours. Based on what we've seen the lvls look to be a little longer to around the same length. And there are likely a similar number of lvls. The game is more replayable since you can complete each lvl with 9 different weapons, but I wouldnt expect a single play through to take more than 5 hours still. The issue with splatoon 1s campaign is it started to repeat ideas and lvl structure. They seem to have fixed that for Splatoon 2. I'm sure it'll be a worthwhile mode.

zroid

Banned
Splatoon's single player campaign was short but wonderful. Felt like a bite sized Super Mario Galaxy, kinda. The final boss was all sorts of amazing.

Raitaro

Who cares if it's playable "at some point every day"? There are 24 hour gaps after every session. That's not acceptable at all.

The three day gap is so ridiculous I don't even feel like expanding on that.

The devs have doubled-down on this bullshit from the first game (which I could kind of understand at the time, due to the Wii U's pitiful install base). It's insane and completely indefensible.

I'm also disappointed. Even more so if we can't play any of this content offline by ouselves except for the proper story mode.

To me, all content in a game should remain available even when servers go offline so having an option to play things like Turf War and Salmon Run with bots against the CPU to me is essential even if the experience does not compare at all in quality to playing against or with humans. It's also important from a game preservation perspective imo. Splatoon 1, while great fun, dropped the ball on this (with a local multiplayer mode that never got any of the DLC maps for instance...) and Splatoon 2 seems to be repeating the same mistake while taking even more away from offline solo players or couch co-op players without funds to buy a second Switch and game copy.

I wish Nintendo collaborated with some fashion company to make and sell all the clothes inlking wear irl. I WANT ALL THAT GEAR T_T

(Or at least gimme the badges)

Melchior

Easily my most anticipated game of the year. I don't really care about the time locked mp maps because even without it I always get the same maps in every other multiplayer game. But locking salmon run out for days at a time is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever seen. If they want to prevent people from grinding it out and getting too many rewards they should just make them run out and refresh every week or something.

This is going to be available digitally right? I bought MK8 And I don't recall a digital preorder, like we had to wait for release right?

It will be available digitally, and IIRC it was up for purchase/download at midnight EST the day of release. Not sure about other regions. I really hope Nintendo gives us digital pre-orders soon because I would have plopped down my money for Splatoon 2 weeks ago.

zroid

Banned
I wish Nintendo collaborated with some fashion company to make and sell all the clothes inlking wear irl. I WANT ALL THAT GEAR T_T

(Or at least gimme the badges)

they're already collaborating with Uniqlo to some extent... seems like an obvious match, no?

problem is I don't think Splatoon has enough cachet outside of Japan

The game just seems so fun (and the first one certainly was so there's no reason to doubt this one is either) and the direct really managed to convey that well I think.

Also laughed at the part in which they showed how you can quick scroll through Sheldon's speeches.

The idols suck though just as they sucked in the first one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm torn between gettin these Joycons or the Splatoon Pro Controller :/

I want the game, the amiibo, the joycons and the damn pro controller but that's almost $250 worth of merch after tax.

I think I'm probably gonna go for the game and pro controller at launch and hope the amiibo stay readily available for a bit.

Sadly I can't justify the joycons as I already have four. Here's hoping that pink and green set doesn't disappear forever like the neon has.

Still debating on whether or not I want to sell off my original neon set either way.

TheJoRu

Want to get a Pro Controller when this comes out, but I'm afraid it'll have those D-Pad issues and that I might be better off waiting in case it'll be addressed later. Don't know what to do. :(

Top Bottom