• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

So happy my favourite games this year won their respective categories.
15%2B-%2B1
And this images is freaking marvelous!

Why is a fucking expansion pack in the nominations

Good on splatoon though

Maybe that means that the witcher 3 has another shot next year at best RPG when they release the Blood and Wine 20 hours expansion? lol

Exile20

They did something right what that game. My 6yo son said to me "Dad, Splatoon is my favourite game now. Better than Minecraft" I was floored.

Splatoon is so accessible. You don't need to kill to contribute. Just roll.

The fact it is competitive along with easy for new players who aren't competitive really adds alot to the game.

Typical fps players will go hunt other players while others why stay away and ink up everything and both are having fun.

Unicorn

Fuck. I had the splatoon bundle in my hand, but I opted for a new video card. Hard to say if I would play splatoon more than I play the games I have on PC though...

I wonder if COD would have been looked at more favorably if it hadn't gotten bogged down by the card stuff. Halo 5 as well. Seems like no one cared for any of that mess and it hinders the modes that were supposed to set the games apart from the rest of the crowd.

CoD, cards? Can you explain what you mean there?

Shame Rainbow Sixe: Siege didn't release soon enough to be considered :( Best MP I've played in awhile.

Siege has a good concept but has a terrible technical execution. That 15hz tickrate should be enough to disqualifiy it from any multiplayer award next year, and it doesn't stop there. But yeah, the gameplay design and concept is incredible.

Shang

I love Splatoon, but I feel like Halo 5 should have taken Best Multiplayer. Arena is immaculate.

Siege has a good concept but has a terrible technical execution. That 15hz tickrate should be enough to disqualifiy it from any multiplayer award next year, and it doesn't stop there. But yeah, the gameplay design and concept is incredible.

Not sure where the 15hz tickrate figure came from, but it's been debunked in the OT.

It's low, for sure, and I hope they can improve it. Low tickrate isn't preventing the game from working, though. It's also hard to tell how much latency issues are tickrate vs server or other technical problem this soon after the game is released.

It's easily one of the richest shooters I've played in a while.

Nosgotham

Splatoon got me back into shooters. It really is so fresh in a sea of stale ass same ol same ol bullshit shooters. Deserved both awards imo

Solid game too. The amount of detail to level and weapon balance with the game and updates is awesome

I'm a huge Halo fan but I can't disagree with this. Splatoon is probably my GoTY and maybe my favorite Nintendo game ever. It's good enough that my wife convinced me to buy a second Wii U just so we could play together in the same Squad.

Its easily better than the other games in those lists.

Rainbow 6 has beaten it now though.
Haven't played Splatoon yet (giving it to my son tomorrow) but Rainbow 6: Siege is the best mp shooter i personally played in years (and co-op). Right up my alley. Soo good. CoD will get no more playtime this year from me.

But very curious about splatoon now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The game makes has convinced me that Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to give more artistic freedom to their younger generation of developers, it's a Superb game honestly

King_Moc

Banned
Haven't played Splatoon yet (giving it to my son tomorrow) but Rainbow 6: Siege is the best mp shooter i personally played in years (and co-op). Right up my alley. Soo good. CoD will get no more playtime this year from me.

Splatoon is kind of like Nintendo's Team Fortress equivalent. There's much more to it than fps gameplay. And the control scheme is phenomenal. I've emulated it using the gyro on my Steam controller for R6.

atr0cious

I hve to say that in an industry of check list game design, I'm thrilled Splatoon was able to abandon that model and just be a fantastic game. If you're first thought it to ask why CoD and BF whatever didn't win, remember that those games are based off a decade plus of games built before. Incremental development at it's finest, pulling the best from different popular shooters to make it's own. Splatoon did none of that. With "complex" motion controls, Splatoon focused on making the act of moving fun. Then it built maps that gradually build on this concept, eventually introducing new forms of movement just by introducing new maps. The slow trickle also allowed new players of shooters(The nintendo audience) to join in and not be drowned in the intial first wave like most shooters, which most thought was going to make Splatoon DoA. But stacked on that, is the fact that Turf War is probably the best shooter mode created right now. It makes area control a real thing and death a choice. Haven't even really touched on hiding in the ink, or using the ink to climb walls to get to new areas. Or the single player!

Splatoon is legit the best shooter of the year, and probably of the generation.

Splatoon is kind of like Nintendo's Team Fortress equivalent. There's much more to it than fps gameplay. And the control scheme is phenomenal. I've emulated it using the gyro on my Steam controller for R6.

Also true. I think Splatoon sold a few steam controllers itself. Using motion controls on Counterstrike is amazing.

Splatoon is the real deal--said earlier in this thread that I ALMOST bought a WiiU just for it.

How does it compare to Wii U GamePad controls in Splatoon? Can you recommend it? If so, it seems I've found a reason to pick up a Steam Controller.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Really? I'm surprised by this news, and so very happy for Splatoon. This will be the Wii U's #1 jewel (along with Fifa 13 off tv, and until Zelda).

Who knew a Nintendo shooter would have the most efficient server/matchmaking of 2015?
Still boggles my mind how smooth it is, especially after how Rainbow's alphas/betas went and how busted BF4 and MCC were out the gate - and obviously they've all had like a decade of experience and severwork.

Because Nintendo actually gives a shit :D

OneUh8

Serious question: what makes Splatoon unappealing to you?

Late reply but I prefer highly skilled competitive shooters. Not saying Splatoon is not as I don't know for sure, but from the outside it doesn't seem to be that way. Also maybe because it is just different and unique. Which I suppose is a good thing these days.

Late reply but I prefer highly skilled competitive shooters. Not saying Splatoon is not as I don't know for sure, but from the outside it doesn't seem to be that way. Also maybe because it is just different and unique. Which I suppose is a good thing these days.

Splatoon has an insanely high skill ceiling. Also, it's far more tactical than most other FPS, since the minimap and third-person view can give you a lot of information if you're sharp enough to comprehend what it's telling you in time.

Formless

There's a lot of skill involved in Splatoon. Not so much with precision aiming but it's more about movement and map control (inking).

Really guys, give it a shot and be open about the motion controls.

Not sure where the 15hz tickrate figure came from, but it's been debunked in the OT.

It's low, for sure, and I hope they can improve it. Low tickrate isn't preventing the game from working, though. It's also hard to tell how much latency issues are tickrate vs server or other technical problem this soon after the game is released.

It's easily one of the richest shooters I've played in a while.

Sure, because we all know that low latency and a huge amount of tickrate issues like tradekills, kills from enemies not even facing you, hitscan-issues and so on are hotfix-material. The game is incredible in it's design, but the technical side is so flawed, it just cannot win any multiplayer category as of this day. Maybe they make some huge improvements till next award season, then we can debate this again. Rainbow Six: Siege Vanilla has not earned any multiplayer award.

I want it but for SP and some occasional play, so the price affects my decision to buy. I know it deserves it, in my case it is relative to play time.
How long is the SP?

Alias03

Most of those people have a point of reference in previous CoD's.
I know of no previous Splatoon's.

So judge new games on past games in the series... Got ya. Not a fan of this way of thinking. Judge each game as a separate entity. I would hope most people that post on this fourm are aware COD is made by 3 different teams, trading off in 3 year cycles making each game very different from the previous one. Of course they share some similarities, but most games in the same genre do.

OneUh8

Real talk, you should play Splatoon

It has a lot of cool, new mechanics and a fresh artstyle, huge variety of weapons with some customization going on, its a fun, different take on the genre that was needed, with the usual Nintendo polish.

The major flaw for me is the Gamepad, its still kinda uncomfortable to use and the battery dies shortly, i would had liked a Pro Controller option

It's personal preference, of course. It's a very different kind of shooter, which means it's a tough comparison to make, but that's why I like it. That's also why I like Portal. The shooter genre is the most overdone one out there, and it is always refreshing to see something creative and innovative. I think Splatoon deserves it solely for that reason. There's nothing like it on the market.

I think it's cool to think about the fact that run, reload and crouch are all on the same button. It's little things like that I just can't help but love.

Yes, better than Halo, and WAY better than Destiny.

Okay, you guys are making me want to play it lol. I love the art style that is for sure. I was holding out for either a killer Wii U deal (preferable sub $200) or some sort of launch window for a NX. I grew up on Nintendo and have owned all their systems except for the Wii U. Kinda crazy thinking about that fact.

DeaviL

Banned

Knowing how to react to subweapons and using those subweapons effectively.
Learning how to make the most of each weapon.
Using the unique traversal system effectively.

There's a lot of skill involved here.
I've battled some amazing Japanese players
and crushed them, ha.

So judge new games on past games in the series... Got ya. Not a fan of this way of thinking. Judge each game as a separate entity. I would hope most people that post on this fourm are aware COD is made by 3 different teams, trading off in 3 year cycles making each game very different from the previous one. Of course they share some similarities, but most games in the same genre do.

Yet still better than judging Splatoon with 0 experience.
Lets be honest, CoD base game hasn't really changed.

I want it but for SP and some occasional play, so the price affects my decision to buy. I know it deserves it, in my case it is relative to play time.
How long is the SP?

SP is good, but it's really preparation for MP.
You can complete it in about 5-6 hours.

Haha, nice!

Splatoon is the real deal--said earlier in this thread that I ALMOST bought a WiiU just for it.
Sounds great.
I gotta say, as much of a failure the WiiU is in sales, the console has some insanely quality titles.

phanphare

Banned

yeah you really need to check out some competitive Splatoon matches. there's nothing quite like it and the skill ceiling is ridiculously high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduhsvA4zQQ

Lazulic

main reason why i stopped playing and the only thing that sucks about it is that there's not many US players. each server is basically 6 japanese players and 2 US players which often times makes you feel like your shots dont register/they kill you before you even react to shoot. even with my uni internet it doesnt run great, but ping is not much you can fault nintendo for

still insane amounts of fun on a splatfest where you face only US opponents

King_Moc

Banned
How does it compare to Wii U GamePad controls in Splatoon? Can you recommend it? If so, it seems I've found a reason to pick up a Steam Controller.

The sensitivity of both the trackbed and gyro are fully customisable, so you could most likely get it 100% identical if you fiddled.

How long is the SP?

Not extremely long but not extremely short either though on the short side if I had to pick one of those extremes.

It's a very good designed singleplayer game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Destiny TTK is my best shooter of the year with BLOPS 3 being the best Multiplayer. Though now I am interested in checking out Splatoon. The vids and reviews just didn't sell me on the game.

Malus

Anyone who doesn't agree that Splatoon is deserving of both these awards either hasn't played it or just has a different opinion and that's fine :)

Lazulic

How long is the SP?

sp is short but never overstays its welcome. every level offers a new unique concept to play with

Top Bottom