• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix, please fix World of Final Fantasy on the Playstation 4 Pro.

rybrad

I don't use my consoles often so I am not sure how to turn off updates for this game after deleting the patch. Is that a system-wide thing or can I just do it for WoFF?

I had the ps4 version waiting for when I bought my pro, so i've been playing on the vita. Didn't see the ps4 version before so I thought it would be something I wouldn't notice.

its really bad. I loaded up my save and everything looked like shit. went back to playing on vita until they fix it. It's awful

ghibli99

What the hell? :( I have my Pro at home in the box still. Not that this was at the very top of the list to play, but that's just disappointing.

Gaffi

I'm guessing they are going to roll the fix for this into the official pro update but therea still no word on when that is.

What is QA

I'm asking myself the same thing. Just seen this for myself on my Pro and it looks terrible. Is there some way to get rid of the patch so that it looks the way it did on when I was playing on OG PS4?

How on earth did this patch get past Square Enix and Sony QA teams?

I'm asking myself the same thing. Just seen this for myself on my Pro and it looks terrible. Is there some way to get rid of the patch so that it looks the way it did on when I was playing on OG PS4?

How on earth did this patch get past Square Enix and Sony QA teams?

You ASSUME this wasn't caught. Ultimately, it doesn't work like that. The QA Team likely did encounter it, called the issue out, and because it wasn't deemed important enough to hold the build up for, it was ignored for launch.

You have to stop looking at QA as the end all be all protection of bugs. 90% of the issues you guys see in released titles or updates are actually caught by the QA team and prioritized low for reasons such as not bothersome enough to fix for the current update or even too risky to fix for the current update..

SOLDIER

Delete the game data and you can play the game with the previous firmware. Just remember to pause/cancel the update when it pops back up.

I'm really surprised Square hasn't responded yet. Two of their recent games (this and DX) are borked on Pro, surely they're working on fixing both?

Ichisuke

Neo Member
Delete the game data and you can play the game with the previous firmware. Just remember to pause/cancel the update when it pops back up.

I'm really surprised Square hasn't responded yet. Two of their recent games (this and DX) are borked on Pro, surely they're working on fixing both?

The point is that if you have the digital version it will download the update together...

You ASSUME this wasn't caught. Ultimately, it doesn't work like that. The QA Team likely did encounter it, called the issue out, and because it wasn't deemed important enough to hold the build up for, it was ignored for launch.

You have to stop looking at QA as the end all be all protection of bugs. 90% of the issues you guys see in released titles or updates are actually caught by the QA team and prioritized low for reasons such as not bothersome enough to fix for the current update or even too risky to fix for the current update..

I know how QA works, but my assumption is this wasn't caught because it has such an adverse effect on image quality that no sane person would have let it get past certification. It quite clearly and visibly makes the game look worse than the original PS4 version. That's not what users expect from a supposed PS4 Pro patch and Square Enix should have had the common sense to just delay the patch until this issue was fixed.

BTails

Haven't started this one yet, but I have a Pro. Thankfully I have digital, so I can just not install the patch, but does anyone have the Change Log? What else am I missing out on by not installing the patch, besides the graphical downgrade?

Ichisuke

Neo Member
Haven't started this one yet, but I have a Pro. Thankfully I have digital, so I can just not install the patch, but does anyone have the Change Log? What else am I missing out on by not installing the patch, besides the graphical downgrade?

If you have the digital version it will download the patch altogether and you won't be able to uninstall it.... Maybe you meant you have the retail version...?

Enilced2

I think just online battling is all that is missing.

I am seriously surprised Square hasn't acknowledged this yet... seems like a rather simple bug. I mean if it looks fine on 4k I assume its a bug with trying to do 4k resolution depth of field on the 1080p.

Jiraiza

Damn those JIRA tickets.

Lucreto

It really is bad. I thought it was a Gaf overreaction like the Pro game framerate but it's really bad. I might play Builders or Ratchet while I wait for a patch.

Lucreto

I deleted the game and reinstalled it. The game really wants to download the patch. 3 attempts just launching the game. I have to turn off the console to stop it from downloading during the night.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
what team made this game? This is so terrible, no response whatsoever its been over a week. LOL.

edit: Cant we get digital foundry to shed some light on this? would make for an interesting video lol

Lucreto

Or they will drop a patch and say nothing. Just because they have not acknowledged there is a problem doesn't mean they are not working on it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Or they will drop a patch and say nothing. Just because they have not acknowledged there is a problem doesn't mean they are not working on it.

I think its totally fair to assume they're never going to actually fix the problem when they can't even acknowledge there is one in the first place.

As someone who picked up this game and a Pro in the last week I'm most likely going to just return the game this week unless they magically acknowledge theres a problem at least.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I know how QA works, but my assumption is this wasn't caught because it has such an adverse effect on image quality that no sane person would have let it get past certification.

The fact that a bug is blatant and still made it to release doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't caught. Companies make deals all the time during certification to get things waived, and even then something like this that isn't considered game breaking (i.e. impossible to complete the game) may not even qualify as a TRC stopper.

TRC/TCR/Lot Check standards are very strict in certain areas, and much more open-ended in others.

And to further reiterate the poster you were replying to, he is absolutely correct. 90-95% of any bug you see in a released title, QA had found long ago. QA's job is to find and document issues, not to fix them.

Fisico

What is QA

People that are paid to check the quality of a product, do their jobs dutifully, raise most if not every issue the customers could encounter but are eventually told to fuck off by the business teams because there are hard deadlines and as long as there isn't a huge backlash that impact the product they don't care about quality issues.

And it's happening everywhere, not only in videogames, and that's also why there's a bigger turnover than usual in these kind of jobs.

The fact that a bug is blatant and still made it to release doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't caught. Companies make deals all the time during certification to get things waived, and even then something like this that isn't considered game breaking (i.e. impossible to complete the game) may not even qualify as a TRC stopper.

TRC/TCR/Lot Check standards are very strict in certain areas, and much more open-ended in others.

And to further reiterate the poster you were replying to, he is absolutely correct. 90-95% of any bug you see in a released title, QA had found long ago. QA's job is to find and document issues, not to fix them.

Believe me, I know this. It's part of my job and where I work this wouldn't be acceptable. But this patch has done so much damage to the image quality of the game that I'm surprised it passed cert. It's less about them not catching it, and more about the fact they let it through in the first place.

Sure, it's not game breaking. But it's really bad and in your face.

I deleted the game and reinstalled it. The game really wants to download the patch. 3 attempts just launching the game. I have to turn off the console to stop it from downloading during the night.

Turn off auto updates in your PS4 settings. That will obviously turn off auto updates for all games though.

See I can't get the game to not install to version 1.01. I turned off auto updates and everything but I never even received the prompt to update to the newest version. Am I missing a step?

XiaNaphryz

Sure, it's not game breaking. But it's really bad and in your face.

Heh, I've heard "it's really bad but not game breaking" several times in my career. You can get away with lots of stuff, going at least 15 years ago in the PS2/Xbox1/GC days when I first started working in the industry.

Heh, I've heard "it's really bad but not game breaking" several times in my career. You can get away with lots of stuff, going at least 15 years ago in the PS2/Xbox1/GC days when I first started working in the industry.

I dont think you are looking at this the right way, the pro patch is optional, and the only reason to make the pro patch is to improve the graphics or performance of a game. This pro patch made a ps4 game look like a vita game. There is literally no reason to put this patch out. It should have been taken off of psn immediately.

I dont think you are looking at this the right way, the pro patch is optional, and the only reason to make the pro patch is to improve the graphics or performance of a game. This pro patch made a ps4 game look like a vita game. There is literally no reason to put this patch out. It should have been taken off of psn immediately.

The patch adds other things too.

And that speaks to poor quality control, in my opinion at least. Alas, nothing I can do. Just hope they fix it soon.

This is my point. You're releasing a PS4 Pro patch but you make the game visibly worse than the OG PS4 version. That's where my issue is. I understand that plenty of games and patches are released with pretty bad bugs in them, but given what this patch is meant to do and what it actually ended up doing, I'm shocked that they thought it was okay to release it. No statement from them is what makes it worse.

Heartfyre

I think its totally fair to assume they're never going to actually fix the problem when they can't even acknowledge there is one in the first place.

As someone who picked up this game and a Pro in the last week I'm most likely going to just return the game this week unless they magically acknowledge theres a problem at least.

They've revealed that they have an ongoing DLC plan for this game, with Sora being added later. There's no way that they don't put out more patches, and that would give them the opportunity to fix this.

And they really need to fix this, since it looks so awful. I'll never know how they were so careless to put that patch out.

They've revealed that they have an ongoing DLC plan for this game, with Sora being added later. There's no way that they don't put out more patches, and that would give them the opportunity to fix this.

And they really need to fix this, since it looks so awful. I'll never know how they were so careless to put that patch out.

The only thing i can think of is that they were contractually obligated to release the patch on the pros launch, regardless of how bad it is. Thats the only rational explanation. But that doesnt explain the radio silence from SE.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do these game developers release patches apparently without even testing them? Because surely nobody thought this was OK?

XiaNaphryz

I'm just stating the realities of the business. Whoever made the final call felt that the patch was fine to put out as it was, as well as whoever felt it was acceptable on the the Sony cert side.

Top Bottom