• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Aiii

So not worth it
My newborn appears to be spatially impaired.

7adc6b53-7a70-450d-agsyms.jpeg

Kaban

I've found this inconsistent: I can access it on some menu screens, but not on others. And since I need to be there physically to put items in anyway, I usually just end up hiking to the Community Center anyway.

Huh, strange. Maybe that's why I didn't notice it at first. As a previous poster mentioned, it seems you need "controller style" selected in order to access it (which I turned on a couple hours into my save). Hopefully it's fixed in the next patch.

Memles

Huh, strange. Maybe that's why I didn't notice it at first. As a previous poster mentioned, it seems you need "controller style" selected in order to access it (which I turned on a couple hours into my save). Hopefully it's fixed in the next patch.

Yeah, seems to be a patch issue: I can access it from the first menu, but not the Crafting menu, for example. And indeed, I hope there's a patch to fix a bunch of stuff, like the "Kill 0 of monsters" fetch quests.

JakeD

My newborn appears to be spatially impaired.

This happened to me too, I walked around the whole house looking for a baby and found a floating head in the corner. Sleep fixed it

It needs to be off so you can select it with the cursor, from what I tried you can’t access it otherwise

Kaban

This happened to me too, I walked around the whole house looking for a baby and found a floating head in the corner. Sleep fixed it

It needs to be off so you can select it with the cursor, from what I tried you can’t access it otherwise

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I have mouse-style controls right now.

One thing I wish I'd done differently is choose fruit bats for my cave instead of mushrooms. I have like a million mushrooms and meanwhile I need literally one fruit to get the greenhouse and I'm just waiting for my trees to grow...

FWIW most people recommend mushrooms because you can plant fruit trees (even though they're expensive and slow), but you can't plant mushrooms and grow them reliably. The purple mushroom in particular is super valuable since it doesn't come up often and is an ingredient in the Life Elixir.

...but I feel ya, I'm balking at thinking about how much time and money getting that damn greenhouse is gonna cost me. =(

c1d

One thing I wish I'd done differently is choose fruit bats for my cave instead of mushrooms. I have like a million mushrooms and meanwhile I need literally one fruit to get the greenhouse and I'm just waiting for my trees to grow...
Yeah it's tough because mushrooms is probably the 'better' choice on the scale of the whole game, although unless you get insane luck with the travelling cart choosing bats is definitely the quickest route to the greenhouse

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit what.

If you're wondering where it is you have to press start, and you see an icon at the bottom left with four slots to equip things.

Man... I just realized you can check your community center bundles by clicking the icon on the top right of your menu. Of course, you still need to go to the community center to drop off resources, but I wasted too many trips going to that building and taking screenshots because I couldn't remember what I needed :p

When you open up your menu, to the right of your items, there are two buttons. There's one that looks like a weird tree... click on it and it will show you all the Community Center bundles and what resources you still need.

edit: this one

MlZpsQ2.jpg

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

jyoung188

When you open up your menu, to the right of your items, there are two buttons. There's one that looks like a weird tree... click on it and it will show you all the Community Center bundles and what resources you still need.

edit: this one

MlZpsQ2.jpg

Holy fuck I've played like 100 hours over 3 platforms and never noticed that. :0

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ANyone else have issues looking at the community tree page from the items menu? Every time I try to scroll to it I’m unable to do so. I’ve already unlocked the building and have completed a few requests but can’t look at what I need while I’m out and about.

HF2014

Ok. Was tempt for a while, and decide to pull the trigger on it. Downloading it now. Hoping i will enjoy it, i think i will! Needed a relaxing game for my Switch, think i got it.

Now that I’m married I noticed all the other people I was dating have reverted back to ‘single’... can I still give the other singles bouquets so I can get them to ten hearts, or are they stuck at 8 forever now?

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I know it was a problem for a pretty long while. I think I've found a way around the freezing glitch. On days where I was getting it consistently, I finally just ran around till I was exhausted (past 2am), and it went to saving with no problem. I've used this method to solve it on two separate days.

It's also nice that Nintendo implemented a bug report dealie for when it errors out the game with the new firmware.

Branson

So any reason I shouldnt go for this if I have it on PC? I am wanting the portability aspect but if it seems more glitchy or anything from the pc version I will hold off. I have a trip this weekend and $10 in eshop credit. Or should I go for something else?

So any reason I shouldnt go for this if I have it on PC? I am wanting the portability aspect but if it seems more glitchy or anything from the pc version I will hold off. I have a trip this weekend and $10 in eshop credit. Or should I go for something else?

It's absolutely addicting in portable form. The main crash bug has been identified and being worked on as a patch. Up to you, but I love the switch version!

rcl66

Maybe I just suck at it but I find fishing really difficult. What's worse I upgraded to the Fiberglass rod and used bait and it seemed to get harder. I also caught things a lot faster - but crap. Can, broken glasses, seaweed - got lots of that stuff super fast all of a sudden.

Am I missing something? Should I not use the Fiberglass rod until my fishing skill gets more then level 2?

1upsuper

As much as I'm enjoying this, I can't help but miss some of the features that Rune Factory added to the HM formula. RF 3 and 4 are the best HM games IMO. <_<

Dremorak

Banned
Maybe I just suck at it but I find fishing really difficult. What's worse I upgraded to the Fiberglass rod and used bait and it seemed to get harder. I also caught things a lot faster - but crap. Can, broken glasses, seaweed - got lots of that stuff super fast all of a sudden.

Am I missing something? Should I not use the Fiberglass rod until my fishing skill gets more then level 2?

It depends on where you are fishing and also your luck rating for that day

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

You get used to it, and if you're like me, you'll end up loving fishing.

I don't think it matters what fishing rod you're using, some fish are difficult to catch, and some barely move. Just keep at it.

loving fishing and super tempted to get the iridium rod. but its 7500. that's qutie the ask in year 1 for me. i have 6000 but i could use it for a lot more. hmmm.

Maengun1

I am about halfway through Summer 1, taking things pretty slow still (I think?). Have $5k on hand, only been to level 15 of the mines, have a silo but no coop yet. I went to upgrade my first tool (watering can) last night, but when I found out I have to wait a few days without it I turned it off without saving lol...I wasn't prepared for that.

I am focusing on Emily & Haley as far as friendships, I've been talking to Emily more but somehow she's on 3 hearts and Haley is on 4.

To be honest, the daily time limit is starting to bug me more and more the longer I play. I don't play many time management games, it's kind of reminding me of Pikmin in that as soon as the daily halfway point passes I start to stress over it. MANY days have occurred where I feel like I'm just getting started, fishing at the beach or going down the mines and then I realize it's 10pm and it's like ugghhhh I gotta run home really??? I put over 500 hours into Animal Crossing New Leaf which also has time restrictions for when you can do certain things but I liked not having any punishments for my actions in that regard.

Still love the game overall though.

Vicious

I went to upgrade my first tool (watering can) last night, but when I found out I have to wait a few days without it I turned it off without saving lol...I wasn't prepared for that.

It's just the day you hand it in plus the next day. Wait until you see that it's going to rain the following day, then water your crops before sending the tool for upgrade.

Or wait until the end of the season. You don't need to water anything on the final day, so upgrade it the day before.

bman94

I just reached 20 hours played in this game...HELP!!!!!

This and Sonic Mania has over 20 hours each, making them them most played games on my Switch right now. Ironically the smaller games in scale I'm putting the most time into on my Switch.

Brakke

Banned
loving fishing and super tempted to get the iridium rod. but its 7500. that's qutie the ask in year 1 for me. i have 6000 but i could use it for a lot more. hmmm.

If you’re fishing for money, upgrade is totally worth it. Attaching special bobbers can drastically increase your bite-rates, makes your days more profitable. If you’re fishing just for hyucks or only a few days per month, you’re better investing that money elsewhere.

Jblanks

You can get mods on PC which is nice. I have one the that shows the location of everyone and one that shows how much things sell for. I also think it's easier with a keyboard and mouse, but the portability would be really sweet.

Can I make wine out of any fruits? I stockpiled a bunch of cranberries and grapes for when I built some kegs which will be soon. And also is there any point in keeping all the gems and rocks? Like the ones you get from geodes and stuff like jade, aquamarine, ruby, etc? They don't sell for much, just use them as gifts?

mstevens

Now that I’m married I noticed all the other people I was dating have reverted back to ‘single’... can I still give the other singles bouquets so I can get them to ten hearts, or are they stuck at 8 forever now?

Hmm I’d like to know this as well. What if you have two people at 10 hearts and you propose to one. Does the other go back to 8?

TheKeyPit

Banned
And also is there any point in keeping all the gems and rocks? Like the ones you get from geodes and stuff like jade, aquamarine, ruby, etc? They don't sell for much, just use them as gifts?
You need some of that stuff to craft extra things. (example: Marble for a Marble Brazier)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fishing troubles? Grab a tackle, especially the trap. Made the hard fishes easy to catch.

Anyway died for the first time in the mine. Sucks that you forget floors, but I wish you could retrieve your lost loot. I ended up restarting my game.

Also is there really a point to fences of they break down? I kinda wish the stone fences last longer.

Ourobolus

Banned
Fishing troubles? Grab a tackle, especially the trap. Made the hard fishes easy to catch.

Anyway died for the first time in the mine. Sucks that you forget floors, but I wish you could retrieve your lost loot. I ended up restarting my game.

Also is there really a point to fences of they break down? I kinda wish the stone fences last longer.
Endgame there is an absurdly expensive item you can get that stops farm deterioration

If you’re fishing for money, upgrade is totally worth it. Attaching special bobbers can drastically increase your bite-rates, makes your days more profitable. If you’re fishing just for hyucks or only a few days per month, you’re better investing that money elsewhere.

yea i actually do like 60-70% fishing, 20ish % mining. and the rest farming. only farming to get shit i need for quests or generally for community center etc.

moozoom

Loving the game, but some things in the interface need work. I finally understood how to load rocks in the slingshot : help message told me to right click, so I tried to click the sticks - it was the Y button all along.

Also I went all the way to the last day of autumn without noticing the arrows under the farm constructions window, so I thought you could only build a coop... but suddenly saw the arrows and built a silo.
Then it was winter and all the grass disappeared.

Guess no livestock until spring/summer, then.

I find fishing incredibly frustrating at times, glad I didn’t choose the lake farm. I like brewing, making jam and honey - it’s all automatic ! Maybe I’ll do a forest farm for the next run.

I’m pretty close to having the mine carts repaired, I guess they are shortcuts, can’t wait to use them.
Just had the bridge repaired, that was a nice surprise ! The completion of the bundles is a big gameplay hook for me, I love it.

Kinda sad all the men I would like to date are not candidates... it’ll be single life for me then.

And bombs. Bring lots of bombs.

This. Don't be afraid to either buy the ingredients to make them or purchase them outright.

I am about halfway through Summer 1, taking things pretty slow still (I think?). Have $5k on hand, only been to level 15 of the mines, have a silo but no coop yet. I went to upgrade my first tool (watering can) last night, but when I found out I have to wait a few days without it I turned it off without saving lol...I wasn't prepared for that.

I am focusing on Emily & Haley as far as friendships, I've been talking to Emily more but somehow she's on 3 hearts and Haley is on 4.

To be honest, the daily time limit is starting to bug me more and more the longer I play. I don't play many time management games, it's kind of reminding me of Pikmin in that as soon as the daily halfway point passes I start to stress over it. MANY days have occurred where I feel like I'm just getting started, fishing at the beach or going down the mines and then I realize it's 10pm and it's like ugghhhh I gotta run home really??? I put over 500 hours into Animal Crossing New Leaf which also has time restrictions for when you can do certain things but I liked not having any punishments for my actions in that regard.

Still love the game overall though.

Just started year 3, and my most recent accomplishment was finishing my second deluxe barns and deluxe coops, over 40 animals to manage, a field of crops full of irridium and advanced sprinklers, and counteless machines producing artisan goods, there are days I barely leave my farm.

But it also feels very rewarding when you can produce so much wealth in one day. Like 20k per day almost seems like the average, and that's before the new Livestock I purchased for my new buildings have matured.

I wish you could automate the care of livestock even further, but the auto feeders are a godsend.

Kangi

Well into year 3, married Sam finally after keeping him waiting a while.

I've disliked how shallow the dialogue is in the game so far, but I like the quirks of the bachelor/ettes once you've married them. Wish his family would acknowledge they're my in-laws now, though. It makes some sense with Kent and Vincent, but Jodi should at least notice her workload getting so much lighter.

My Strawberry Jelly plan is definitely working out, with me well on my way to the
Return Scepter
, though I'm going to start supplementing it with Ancient Fruit Wine.

ciD_Vain

Can I actually do any farm work in winter besides collecting eggs or wood?
For me I mostly used it as a “rest” month. Fishing, mining, reorganizing my farm, laying down paths. If you have a greenhouse you can farm but if you don’t, you can only plant winter seeds or fruit trees that will produce fruits in spring.

Top Bottom